Podcasts have been around for years, dating back to the 1980s. However, with advances in technology and unlimited access to the Internet, podcasts are rising in popularity, attracting over eighty million listeners per week in 2021, according to Edison Research. This number increased further during the COVID-19 pandemic, as people found ways to cope with the abrupt changes.
According to Statista, about 51 percent of the US podcast audience consists of men, while 46 percent are women, and three percent are non-binary individuals. Therefore, as the leading podcast audience, it is only right to explore some of the best podcasts for men. This article will also highlight the best men podcast episodes and the subjects covered in each episode.
Why You Should Listen to Podcasts for Men
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) documents a rise in male mental health cases in recent years with men not seeking treatment for mental difficulties. Podcasts allow men to listen to inspiring stories from people who deal with similar problems. You can learn how to handle college stress, married life, parenting, friendships, and work-life balance from a man’s perspective.
Podcasts make multitasking easy because you can listen to your favorite podcast episode for advice while exercising, cooking, gardening, or driving. Podcasts are an accessible way for you to join a community of like-minded people. You can choose from thousands of podcasts for men, so there’s sure to be a podcast that suits your interests and preferred hosting style.
What Makes a Great Podcast for Men?
- Availability. With a wide variety of podcast hosting platforms to choose from, a good podcast should be easily available and accessible. Good podcasters make it easy for their audiences to access podcast episodes on more than one platform. With an accessible podcast, you can find updates on weekly or daily uploads from social media platforms.
- Relatable content. It is important to find male-related content when you tune into a podcast for men. It is not uncommon for these podcasts to divert into discussions about women, politics, and media, but it should always relate to the podcast’s main purpose of addressing men.
- Discussions. Whether it’s discussions among hosts, interviews, or general storytelling, a great podcast for men is interactive and entertaining. By the end of an episode, you should feel inspired, entertained, and in need of more. Great podcasters make a point to include the audience.
- Consistency. You should be able to anticipate the next podcast episode, just like you anticipate your favorite TV show. A great podcast is consistent with weekly, monthly, or daily uploads. These podcasts have a clear schedule, highlighting when the next episode will be released.
- Quality production. The production includes editing, audio quality, effects, and cover art. A great podcast for men puts all these production aspects into consideration to attract more men. The podcast name is also a huge determiner of whether or not men will tune in religiously.
10 Best Podcasts for Men
- Available On: Spotify, TuneIn, Apple Podcasts, Deezer, Audible
- Subjects Covered: Science, comedy, pop culture
Hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, a renowned astrophysicist, the StarTalk podcast is for men who are into science and pop culture. Tyson uses humor to discuss interesting topics, such as space travel, the role of science in daily life, the relationship between science and sports, movies, and so much more. This podcast combines scientific discussion and intellectual conversations with humor.
The podcast becomes more appealing when the co-hosts, Chuck Nice and Gary O’Reilly, chime into the discussions. This is a weekly podcast that features various celebrity guests. StarTalk also features spin-offs like StarTalk Sports Edition, StarTalk All-Stars, and StarTalk Playing With Science.
2. The Tony Robbins Podcast
- Available On: Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Podchaser, Deezer
- Subjects Covered: Success tips, mental health, building relationships, financial success
If you feel unmotivated and need inspiration, check out The Tony Robbins Podcast. You will listen to Robbins describe his proven strategies for success and hear tips on how you can accomplish your goals.
The weekly podcast covers a wide variety of topics like repairing relationships, success in business, financial issues, mental health, and more. The podcast also features guest appearances from experts in different industries who engage in insightful interviews with Robbins.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
3. The Rich Roll Podcast
- Available On: Apple Podcasts, SoundCloud, Spotify
- Subjects Covered: Nutrition, entrepreneurship, spirituality, entertainment
This podcast offers a masterclass in mental, physical, and financial development. Hosted by the best-selling author and wellness advocate, Rich Roll, the podcast takes a deep dive into all things wellness, offering advice for becoming your authentic self.
Every week, Roll invites a special guest or two for in-depth conversations on spirituality, entrepreneurship, nutrition, entertainment, and other topics. Most of all, Roll draws inspiration from his past struggles with drugs, alcohol, and unhealthy living, which are relatable factors for many men.
4. Renegades: Born in the USA
- Available On: Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts
- Subjects Covered: Fatherhood, music, life in America
Renegades: Born in the USA features a series of conversations between former president Barack Obama, and singer-songwriter Bruce Springsteen. The podcast came as a result of the unlikely friendship which began on Obama’s campaign trail in 2008.
The co-hosts narrate personal stories discussing masculinity, relationships with men and their fathers, the American dream, music, race, and more. This is a weekly podcast with episodes running slightly under one hour.
5. Deep Questions with Cal Newport
- Available On: Apple Podcasts, Buzzsprout, Spotify
- Subjects Covered: Answers to various technology questions
If you have read Cal Newport’s books, like Digital Minimalism or Deep Work, you will love this podcast. The New York Times best-selling author and computer science professor uses his podcast to answer a wide range of questions submitted by his readers.
Newport also invites expert guest hosts to answer questions while discussing technology, future projects, and other general topics. You can also submit a question through Cal’s official newsletter.
6. The Ezra Klein Show
- Available On: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, TuneIn
- Subjects Covered: Political news, theories, general knowledge topics
This popular podcast was named the best podcast of 2021 by Time, Esquire, and Vulture. It is a bi-weekly podcast hosted by Ezra Klein, an American journalist and political analyst. Klein stays on trend, tackling political issues, intriguing theories, cutting-edge research topics, and so much more. This is an interesting podcast that will leave you informed and eager to understand more.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
7. Under the Skin with Russell Brand
- Available On: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Stitcher
- Subjects Covered: Spiritual awakening, politics
Under the Skin is a weekly interview podcast hosted by Russell Brand. The podcast tagline announces that the podcast is about revolutionary politics and spiritual awakening, both factors that can shape how men think and approach situations.
The comedian, actor, and radio host invites several notable guests to discuss what’s really beneath the surface of what human beings perceive. You can also join Brand for calming 10-minute meditations on the podcast.
8. The School of Greatness
- Available On: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Listen Notes, Audible
- Subjects Covered: Business, self-development, entertainment
Hosted by Lewis Howes, The School of Greatness features inspiring interviews from successful people in different industries. Howes interviews world-renowned leaders, outstanding athletes, authors, and scientists. The show’s primary purpose is to inspire people from different walks of life to unlock their greatness.
9. The Art of Manliness
Available On: Art of Manliness App, Spotify, Audible, SoundCloud
Subjects Covered: Philosophy, culture, handling everyday life as a man
The Art of Manliness is a bi-weekly podcast with over 200 episodes already published across seven years. The host, Brett McKay, offers a safe space for men to feel like men again and become better at identifying with the concept of masculinity. He moderates in-depth interviews that cover a broad range of topics related to manliness and how to become a better man.
10. The Happiness Lab
- Available On: Podbean, Apple Podcasts, Spotify
- Subjects Covered: Psychology, research on happiness, how to embrace a happier life
Hosted by a Yale professor, Dr. Laurie Santos, this podcast aims to ensure you are 100 percent happier. She applies her psychology and scientific research knowledge to help you understand how you can access your daily dose of happiness. Santos shares inspiring stories that prove you don’t need money, cars, or more Instagram followers to become happy.
The Best Podcasts for Men Episodes to Get You Started
When exploring different podcasts, many people start with the best-performing episodes to get a feel for the entire show. If the episode is good, chances are you will listen to the rest of the show. If you are the type to select the best episodes first, here is a list of the must-listen episodes from your new favorite podcasts for men.
Tony Robbins: Own Your Future in Business, Life & Love | The School of Greatness
In this episode, Lewis Howes invites Tony Robbins to discuss why parents are raising insecure kids, how to change this pattern, and the impact of millennials in today’s world. Tony also explains things he wishes he knew in his 20s and 30s and discusses how to achieve the mindset of abundance.
Death, Grief & Finding Meaning | Under the Skin
Russell Brand is joined by David Kessler, a death and grieving expert, to discuss the struggles of grief and how to overcome it. The hosts compare how the current generation perceives grief and how to connect, emotionally and spiritually, with loved ones who have passed away. This is a great episode for men who struggle with grief.
Relationships with Our Fathers and Masculinity | Renegades: Born in the USA
It is human nature to have misunderstandings and interesting relationships with parents and people in general. This is an amazing episode where President Obama and Bruce Springsteen bring these common issues to light. They discuss their rocky relationships with their fathers and how that influenced their understanding of fatherhood and becoming a man.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
How Not to Diet | The Rich Roll Podcast
Rich Roll is joined by Dr. Michael Greger, an expert in nutrition science, to discuss his book How Not to Diet. The two men discuss nutrition research and the power of a plant-based lifestyle to prevent and reverse chronic diseases. If you seek a healthier lifestyle and a way to fight chronic lifestyle diseases, this episode is perfect.
Cosmic Queries – Life on Exoplanets with Sara Seager | StarTalk
Sara Seager, author of Smallest Lights in the Universe, joins the co-hosts to discuss extraterrestrial happenings. They answer recurring cosmic queries and review research on the presence of life on other planets. This is an excellent episode for science fanatics and people interested in life outside Earth.
What Is the Best Podcast For Men?
To discover the best podcast for men, you can start with The Art of Manliness, The Rich Roll Podcast, or Renegades: Born in the USA. These podcasts touch on important topics like fatherhood, becoming a man, relationships, comedy, sports, science, and everything that appeals to the regular man.
However, if you want inspiration or to get in touch with your spiritual self, Tony Robbins and Russell Brand are the go-to podcasters. Remember, this is only a list of 10 podcasts from a large pool of successful podcasts. Listen to the top 10 podcasts for men and then explore more podcasts on different podcast hosting sites.
Best Podcasts For Men FAQ
Yes, generally, podcasts are free. However, you may need to pay a subscription fee for the podcast hosting provider. Platforms like Spotify, Deezer, Apple, and Audible require users to pay a fixed subscription fee, which gives them access to all episodes.
Yes, you can listen to podcasts offline by manually downloading an episode. You can either download it directly from the source or on an app.
Popular podcast apps include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, Spotify, Audible, Listen Notes, Podbean, and Google Podcasts. Additionally, you can listen to your favorite podcast directly from the source, which is often a website.
No, listening to podcasts is not mandatory for anyone, including men. However, you will find an array of benefits from listening to podcasts for men, including peace of mind, confidence, knowledge, motivation, and brotherhood.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.