Rice University, based in Houston, Texas, is one of the area’s most highly regarded universities. Their prestigious reputation and excellent track record attract students from all over the world. They’ve instituted another terrific program for both students and non-students in the area. Rice partnered with Trilogy Education Services to create the Rice university coding bootcamp, and it’s been a great success for students.
While coding bootcamps are relatively new to the education system in the US, they’re clearly shaping the future of schooling. Rice recognized the tremendous usefulness of coding bootcamps and got with the trend just in time. Technology jobs are some of the fastest-growing in the country, especially in Texas.
Rice University’s coding bootcamp offers several programs to meet the needs of prospective programmers in the area. Trilogy Education Services worked closely with university administrators to develop this program, and they designed it to help entry-level programmers become qualified for real tech jobs.
Rice University bootcamp courses vary in length depending on the type of program, and the price is comparable to the national average. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the coding bootcamp at Rice University and why it’s sure to be an excellent investment for anyone looking for a career in tech.
Rice University Bootcamp Courses
Other Rice University courses include a data bootcamp that focuses on databases and visualization, a cyber program that covers cyber security and network security, and a fintech bootcamp that includes machine learning and blockchain fundamentals.
|Houston, TX and Online
|Coding – 08/09/22
Data – 09/06/22
Cyber – 08/08/22
Fintech – 08/22/22
|Part-Time: 4-10 hrs./wk.
|Part-Time: 18-24 weeks
|Coding, Data, Cyber, Fintech
Top Rice University Coding Bootcamps
The top Rice University Coding Bootcamps use hands-on training to teach in-demand tech and coding skills. Rice University coding bootcamp programs are offered part-time for either an 18 or 24-week period, depending on your program of choice. Below is a detailed look at the various Rice University bootcamp courses currently on offer.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp
The Rice University Coding Bootamp is a part-time program that runs for 24 weeks. Students will take two classes per week and are expected to spend at least 20 hours of additional time studying outside of class.
Classes for this full stack curriculum are offered through a blend of instructor-led virtual lessons and self-directed projects and content. Rice University coding bootcamp has pre-course tutorials and welcomes students with no previous coding experience. The program costs $11,995.
What you will learn at Rice University Coding Bootcamp:
- Frameworks. Students will learn frameworks such as Bootstrap and Express.js. These are vital for the flow of data between server and routes in applications.
- Databases. Successful full stack web development requires advanced knowledge of databases. The Rice University Coding Bootamp covers databases such as MongoDB and MySQL.
Rice University Data Analytics Bootcamp
The Rice University Data Analytics Bootcamp is an intensive 24-week program composed of flexible weekly lessons and interactive live classes. Classes are held online. The data analytics bootcamp Rice University offer is ideal for data professionals looking to advance their current career, professionals working in the business industry, or career switchers looking to join this exciting industry.
The curriculum offered by Rice University is industry-driven and focuses on hands-on learning, in-demand data skills training, and real-world projects. As well as technical skills, students will learn the practical skills needed to analyze and solve complex problems. The program costs $13,495.
What you will learn at Rice University Data Analytics Bootcamp:
- Python Programming. Python is the most common programming language when it comes to data analytics. This course covers Python 3, NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, and API Interactions.
- Databases. Data analytic professionals interact with databases daily. This bootcamp focuses on PostreSQL/pgAdmin, MongoDB, and API Interactions.
- Web Visualization. The Rice University Data Analytics Bootcamp covers front end web visualization. Topics include HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, Dashboarding, JS Charting, and Leaflet.js.
Rice University Cybersecurity Bootcamp
The Rice University Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a part-time, 24-week, multidisciplinary program. Classes are held three times a week through the Houston virtual classroom. This bootcamp is ideal for tech enthusiasts, current tech professionals looking to advance their cyber knowledge, or professionals who work for a company with urgent cyber security needs.
The cost of this bootcamp is $13,495 and graduates will have the skills and knowledge to pass professional cyber security certifications such as the CompTIA Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH), and Cloud+.
What you will learn at Rice University Cybersecurity Bootcamp:
- Cyber Security. This bootcamp covers the fundamentals of cyber security and up-to-date practices including Risk Management, Cryptography, Secure Network Design and Administration, Vulnerability Assessment, Cloud Security, and Identity and Access Management.
- Ethical Hacking. Ethical hacking is a technique used to identify security weaknesses to prevent cyber attacks. Topics covered in this program include Kali Linux, Burp Suite, Hashcat, Web Vulnerabilities and Security, and Metasploit.
- Systems. Cyber security professionals should have a good understanding of different systems, especially if they plan on being self-employed or work for multiple organizations. This bootcamp focuses on Windows and Linux systems and explores administration techniques and hardening.
Rice University Digital Marketing Bootcamp
The Rice University Digital Marketing Bootcamp is an intensive, challenging part-time program that is taught via the university’s virtual classroom. The school has partnered with Facebook to offer this program to digital marketing enthusiasts and professionals. Upon completion of this bootcamp, graduates will receive a Facebook Certification exam voucher.
The program costs just $6,995, making it the cheapest Rice University bootcamp program available. Students can complete the course in 18 weeks through convenient evening classes. The online experience at Rice University ensures students receive dedicated staff and peer insights as well as fundamental skills and hands-on projects.
What you will learn at Rice University Digital Marketing Bootcamp:
- Digital Marketing Strategy. Knowing how to develop marketing strategies for both long-term and short-term organizational goals is a vital part of digital marketing education. Rice University bootcamp courses for this module include Data Strategies, Digital Funnels, Content Strategy, Organic Social Media, and Customer Journeys.
- Digital Advertising, Data Organization, and Automation. This module ensures learners can build targeted audiences and make the most of advertising campaigns. Topics include Paid Search Advertising and Analytics, Marketing Automation, Customer Relationship Management, and Measurement and Optimization.
- Optimizing Campaigns and Websites. This digital marketing bootcamp section deals with designing and developing effective websites. Some classes in this module are WordPress, Content Optimization, and Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Rice University UX/UI Bootcamp
Rice University UX/UI Bootcamp is a 24-week course with a flexible online format. Graduates will earn a certificate of completion from Rice University’s Sussane M.Glassock School of Continuing Studies. The Rice University UX/UI Bootcamp cost is $12,745. This program is ideal for design professionals, tech professionals, or tech enthusiasts looking to break into this industry and apply their knowledge to the exciting world of design.
What you will learn at Rice University UX/UI Bootcamp:
- Design Research. Topics for this UX/UI module include Insight Synthesis, Persona Creation, User Experience Interviewing, and Information Architecture and Flow.
- User Interface Development. Using a holistic focus, students will learn competitive skills to design successful user interfaces. Classes include Atomic Design, UI Grids and Composition, Color Theory, and Typography.
Rice University Fintech Bootcamp
Finance is an evolving industry that is now utilizing technologies like blockchain and machine learning. If you want to be part of this exciting career, the Rice University Fintech Bootcamp will teach you the fundamental skills you need to succeed.
The Rice University Fintech Bootcamp cost is $12,495 and the program takes 24 weeks to complete. Classes are held virtually through a flexible format. Students will gain real-world skills through hands-on classes during the fintech program.
What you will learn at Rice University Fintech Bootcamp:
- Financial Fundamentals. While fintech is all about technology, students must have an understanding of financial fundamentals. Topics for this module cover Financial Ratios, Financial Modeling, and Time-Series Analysis.
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency. This emerging technology is becoming more important in the finance world. Students will learn about Ethereum, Validation, Smart Contracts, Cryptocurrency, and Solidity, among other topics.
- Machine Learning. This advanced technology is used to help automate finance processes and improve organization’s profits. Students will take classes such as Deep Learning, Logistic Regression, Support Vector Machines, and Keras.
Rice University Tech Project Management Bootcamp
It costs $8,495 to attend the Rice University Tech Project Management Bootcamp. The program runs part-time for 18 weeks. Students will use hands-on training to ensure they are qualified for project management across a variety of industries.
Upon graduation, students will have the skills to take the Professional Scrum Master Level 1 Certification. Classes are held through a virtual classroom and cover vital business management skills, with a focus on the tech industry, including coding hands-on experience and fundamentals of the financial industry.
What you will learn at Rice University Tech Project Management Bootcamp:
- Software Development. This module focuses on the business of software development to help learners who go into the tech industry. Courses include Software Development Life Cycle, Requirements Documentation, and Process Mapping and Modeling.
- Project Management. This topic is core to any project management career. These classes focus on traditional project management values and include Project Plans, Quality and Stakeholder Management, and Triple Constraint Theory.
- Agile. The focus of this topic is Agile methodologies and scrum framework. Classes for this module cover Scrum Development Team Formation and Roles, Agile Scrum Framework, Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives, and Agile Manifesto and Principles.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp Reviews
The Trilogy coding bootcamp at Rice University has very positive reviews, with an average of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Career Karma. With so many diverse Rice bootcamp programs available, competitive tuition, and extensive career services, it is no surprise that Rice University’s coding bootcamp is well regarded.
This coding bootcamp is designed with cooperation from Trilogy Education Services, an organization with a long track record of building successful programs with satisfied (and employed) students. One Career Karma review gave the cyber security program five stars, stating that the course helped them pass the Security+ certification on their first try.
Furthermore, you will find plenty of positive testimonials on the Rice University bootcamp site. Most students agree that it’s a great place to go as a beginner because there’s a multitude of resources available for students, including helpful TAs and instructors. Former students frequently mention how quickly and easily they found employment upon completion of their Rice University coding bootcamp courses.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp Instructors
Former Rice University bootcamp students rate the instructors highly. Students report learnings from skilled and knowledgeable teachers who are always happy to help. The bootcamp also has TAs and tutors available to help ensure student success.
With COVID-19, all classes have moved to the Rice University virtual classroom format. Each Rice University bootcamp instructor has been trained and up-skilled to ensure that online learning matches the experience of the physical classroom. Instructors are available for one-on-one communication during virtual office hours across a variety of platforms such as telephone, email, and dedicated Slack channels.
Class sizes are relatively small, and typically top out at about 25 students per course. Small class sizes, combined with one-on-one tutoring, create an environment that’s conducive to student success, which is a primary reason why graduates rate these programs so highly. While instructors are indeed beneficial, it’s important to remember to prepare before enrolling to ensure you have a strong enough foundation to begin.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp Cost
Rice University coding bootcamp programs cost between $6,995 and $13,495, depending on your program of choice. According to Statista, the average cost for coding bootcamps in the US was around $10,000 in 2020. This makes Rice University about average when it comes to expenses.
Fortunately, you don’t necessarily have to pay the full price of tuition. Rice University has offered a $500 scholarship in the past, and there are plenty of non-affiliated scholarships available, so be sure to research them to see what is currently available. Furthermore, Rice University provides all the required resources digitally, so students don’t need to purchase expensive materials and books.
The costs of these short programs may seem daunting, but there are loan services available and other flexible payment options to help with tuition. It’s not that big of a price to pay when you consider your new job possibilities and earning potential after graduation.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Rice Bootcamp Schedule
Rice University has seven different bootcamps, all of which are offered online and part-time. The bootcamps last between 18 and 24 weeks, depending on which course you choose. The digital marketing and project management bootcamps run for 18 weeks, while the rest of the programs are 24 weeks. There is no full-time program available at Rice University BootCamp.
The digital marketing, cyber security, and project management bootcamp take place on weekday evenings, three times per week. Classes run from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM, between Monday and Thursday, depending on your program.
The coding, data, fintech, and design bootcamps take place two evenings a week on either Monday and Wednesday evening or Tuesday and Thursday evening. These classes run for two hours.
Every bootcamp at Rice University also requires 20 hours of additional work per week outside of the ten hours of class times. This additional time can be used for homework assignments, collaborative class assignments, or revision.
Rice University Bootcamp Curriculum
While learning coding languages is vital, it’s equally important to learn how to use them, which is where coding bootcamp really comes in with the answers. Rice University bootcamp courses teach students how to apply the languages to real-world problems, which is suitable for both building a professional portfolio and getting the experience needed to not only land a dream job but excel at one too.
Rice University’s comprehensive curriculum is divided on a week-by-week basis, with several lessons on separate topics packed into each week. Along with virtual, instructor-led classes, students are responsible for practicing their new skills during their off-time and return to class prepared for the next lesson.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp Reddit
Reddit is a pretty reliable source of first-hand opinions and experiences, especially for coding bootcamps. It is useful to look at review sites for similar coding bootcamps with a longer track record, such as the program at UC Berkeley or the University of Arizona.
Most former students highly regard both of these programs, and others express great interest in learning more about what they can do for your career. Overall, the reviews of these coding bootcamps are quite good.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp Job Placement
Rice University has not released job placement numbers, but we can use the success rates of other coding bootcamps that teach the same curriculum to compare. On average, similar coding bootcamps advertise job placement rates between 70 percent and 90 percent, depending on a variety of factors. In this regard, Rice University’s coding bootcamp is likely to do well.
The extensive career services offered by Rice University ensures students are both employer-ready and employer-competitive. The career services team provides professional materials reviews, interview preparation, personalized career coaching, portfolio reviews, dedicated support, and job-search guidance to students throughout their program and up to 90 days after graduation.
Graduates of any Rice University coding bootcamp can benefit from an extensive career network throughout their career. These career services include job referrals from over 250 employee-partners, industry events and workshops, career fairs, and industry-specific resources.
Rice University Bootcamp Admissions Process
The Rice University bootcamp admissions process is straightforward. Furthermore, the requirements to get accepted into most of these programs are not strict. However, the recommended requirements for project management, fintech, and data bootcamps is a bachelor’s degree or two years of professional experience in a related field.
For the other bootcamps, prospective students are not required to have previous industry experience and the coding and cyber programs offer Rice University bootcamp prep in the form of pre-course tutorials. Continue reading for a step-by-step guide on the Rice University bootcamp admissions process:
- Fill out a form. The first step in the Rice University bootcamp application process is to simply fill out a form or contact admissions. The form is available online and requires minimal information. Upon completion, an admissions advisor will contact you.
- Initial phone interview. This initial interview will ensure students understand what programs Rice University coding bootcamp offers and what type of commitment is required from learners. Students are welcome to ask questions at this point.
- Assessment. Successful applicants must complete two assessments. One to test their critical thinking and a problem-solving assessment.
- Final decision. Applicants must wait for the admissions department to make a final decision regarding their application. If successful, applicants can discuss payment options such as student loans and scholarships, as well as class schedules with a Rice University representative.
How to Prepare for Rice University Coding Bootcamp
You can prepare for Rice University coding bootcamp by taking a prep course, practicing any relatable skills you have, and creating a study schedule. If you enroll in the coding or cyber security bootcamp, you will have access to pre-course materials.
There are numerous online resources to help you best prepare for coding bootcamp, and having basic knowledge of your subject of choice will make learning easier and your bootcamp experience less stressful.
Furthermore, Rice University coding bootcamp courses must be taken online and require a minimum of 20 hours of extra work outside of class time. You must create a realistic and manageable study schedule to ensure you can fulfill this requirement.
Rice University Bootcamp Payment Options
Rice University bootcamp payment options include interest-free installments, upfront payment, and traditional student loans. This wide range of financing options means anyone can afford to enroll at Rice University coding BootCamp.
Interest-Free Payment Plan
This is the best Rice University bootcamp payment plan for those on a tight budget. An initial upfront deposit is required, followed by interest-free monthly installments. Students can choose how much they wish to pay off with their initial deposit, which will in turn, affect the cost of their monthly installments.
If you pay for your bootcamp early and upfront, Rice University will offer you a discount on your tuition. Furthermore, bootcamp spots tend to fill up quickly, so applying early will guarantee you a place on the course. Students interested in this payment option should contact the Rice University offices to find out what type of discount they offer.
There are plenty of third-party companies that offer student loans, such as Climb Credit and Earnest. These companies do not work directly with Rice University, and terms and conditions will vary depending on the individual and how much money they require. Student loans can be interest-free, but you should check the fine print to ensure you don’t end up with high debt.
Scholarships can help students pay for part of their bootcamp tuition or the entire cost. Some scholarships provide successful applicants with living stipends too. In the past, Rice University has offered a $500 scholarship to successful candidates.
Currently, there are no scholarships on offer, but prospective students are encouraged to reach out to the admissions department in regards to future scholarships or any similar payment options to help ease the burden of tuition.
Many bootcamps offer deferred tuition as a standard payment option. This often comes in the form of an income share agreement (ISA) which allows students to study with no upfront costs and repay any tuition fees once they find employment. Unfortunately, Rice University coding bootcamp does not offer deferred tuition.
Is the Rice University Coding Bootcamp Worth It?
Yes, the Rice University coding bootcamp is worth it. Students can choose from seven different subjects including coding, cyber security, and digital marketing. Tech enthusiasts or current professionals can easily and quickly learn in-demand skills across a variety of skills to help them achieve their career goals.
Rice University coding bootcamp courses are all offered with maximum flexibility. Students can take advantage of the Rice University virtual classroom, while still gaining access to extensive career services and instructor interaction.
Tuition costs for Rice University coding bootcamp are average, and applicants can take advantage of interest-free monthly installments. Furthermore, in-demand learning, hands-on training, and real-world projects make Rice University bootcamps worth it.
Rice University Coding Bootcamp FAQ
No, there is no Rice University free bootcamp. However, there are flexible payment options available including interest-free installments and discounts for early applicants. There are plenty of options when it comes to free coding bootcamps for those who want to dip into tech subjects without financial commitment.
How much does the bootcamp cost?
The Rice University coding bootcamp costs between $6,995 and $13,495, depending on which bootcamp you enroll in. Rice University coding bootcamp courses are offered part-time and online. This means all required resources are available digitally for free, and students can continue working while they study.
Do you have to be a Rice undergraduate or graduate student to attend the bootcamp?
No, you do not have to be a Rice undergraduate or graduate student to attend the bootcamp. The Rice University coding bootcamp is offered through the Susanne M.Glasscock School of Continuing Studies. Applicants must simply meet the admissions requirements to attend.
Do university students earn college credits for attending the bootcamp?
No, bootcamp students do not earn any college credit for attending the bootcamp. Instead, Rice University offers a certificate of completion to bootcamp graduates. Graduates looking to enroll in a traditional four-year college may be able to use knowledge learned from bootcamp to pass out of entry-level and foundational level classes.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.