It’s not hard to see why Columbia University is appealing to most students. Over two centuries since its establishment, this Ivy League school remains a top-ranking institution. While its prestige is undeniable, the number one question on prospective students’ minds is, “How much does the tuition at Columbia University cost?”
This guide attempts to answer that by offering insights into Columbia University’s tuition, living expenses, student financial services, and other key information about its overall cost of attendance. We will also share some tips on how to save money in college, as well as the salaries and career outcomes of Columbia University graduates. Learn more about Columbia University’s financial aid and ways to save money during college below.
Columbia University Rankings and Profile
- Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
- Acceptance Rate: 4%
- Graduation Rate: 97%
- US News & World Report Ranking: #57 (Most Innovative Schools)
- Times Higher Education Ranking: #11
Located in the heart of New York City, Columbia University is an Ivy League research institution that was established in 1751. The school currently offers undergraduate and graduate students the option to attend one of three colleges: Columbia College, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, or the School of General Studies.
Dentistry and journalism are two of the most notable programs at Columbia University. The school has a student body of over 30,000, comprising domestic students and international students. It also has over 30 residence halls housing all full-time students at the undergraduate level.
How Much Does Columbia University Cost?
In the academic year of 2021 to 2022, the average cost of Columbia University’s tuition and fees was $63,530, including tuition and fees, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). Additionally, students should consider the typical Columbia University cost of books and supplies, which averages $1,342. It is crucial to acknowledge that the COA comes before financial aid.
Thankfully, Columbia University awards $200 million annually in scholarships, so students should fill out the FAFSA application to find out what financial help is available. Tuition waivers are available in some situations, depending on the student’s financial status.
Columbia University Tuition, Fees, and Other Expenses
|Expense||Columbia University Cost|
|Columbia University Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$63,530|
|Columbia University Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||N/A|
|Columbia University Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$50,496|
|Columbia University Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||N/A|
|Columbia University Books and Supplies||$1,342|
When compared to other schools in the state of New York, Columbia University’s cost of attendance is slightly higher. Cornell University, for example, has an average cost of $61,015, while New York University’s cost of attendance is $56,500, according to the NCES. However, these colleges offer financial aid, allowing domestic students to pay less for tuition.
Columbia University Living Expenses
|Expense||Columbia University Cost|
|Columbia University On-Campus Room and Board||$82,584|
|Columbia University Off-Campus Room and Board||$90,882|
The additional cost of living at Columbia University is slightly higher than, say, Cornell University. Students who seek to lower their living expenses can opt to live on campus rather than off-campus, saving an average of over $12,000 per year. Most first-year students attending a full-time on-campus program choose to live on campus.
Cost of Living in New York City, New York
Columbia University is located in the heart of New York City. Payscale reports that the cost of living in New York City is 155 percent more than the national average. The high cost of living depends on several factors, including the real estate market and the average salary.
However, there are numerous advantages to living and taking classes in the Big Apple, as students will have access to job opportunities in multiple industries such as healthcare, education, and retail. New York is also a hub for diverse cultures, making it easier for international students to acclimatize.
Columbia University Financial Aid Statistics
The National Center for Education Statistics reports that 58 percent of Columbia University students get financial aid. Scholarships, fellowships, and grants that do not require repayment are available to help with Columbia University tuition. There are also outside awards for which students can visit the Columbia University financial aid office to determine eligibility.
Columbia University has a work-study financial aid program partially supported by the US government that allows students to receive a tuition discount. Students can also take on federal loan debt to cover their Columbia University tuition. Lastly, there are private loans available, but they have to be repaid with interest. Private loans may not be the ideal alternative for many, but those interested should ensure they have a strong credit history for loan eligibility.
Does Columbia University Accept FAFSA?
Yes, Columbia University accepts the free federal student aid application (FAFSA), and it must be completed online. In addition, students must accurately complete the FAFSA since it determines the type of financial aid available to them depending on their needs.
The types of aid consist of scholarships, grants, work-study, or loans. According to the school’s website, students must maintain decent academic progress to retain their financial aid. Options may vary for full-time and part-time students, as well as for international students.
Does Columbia University Accept GI Bill Benefits?
Yes, Columbia University accepts GI Bill benefits. Veterans who served on or after September 11 may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The benefits will cover Columbia University tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance, and a $1,000 annual stipend for books and supplies.
Is Columbia University a Yellow Ribbon School?
Yes, Columbia University participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which supports GI Bill benefits. This program allows qualifying students to get a tuition waiver or grant from the US Department of Veteran Affairs.
Full-time students may apply. However, note that to be qualified, students must meet all benefits requirements. Additional information is available on the school’s website. You can also contact the student financial services office to learn more.
Columbia University Scholarships and Grants
- Clifford and Siegfried Upton Scholarship. This scholarship program is ideal for graduate and undergraduate students whose parents work for the Houghton Mifflin Company in Boston. The minimum annual award is $1,000. However, the amount can vary depending on the student’s circumstances.
- New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). This grant is available to New York residents enrolling in a full-time degree program. Part-time students are not eligible for TAP. The amount can vary based on factors such as family income and the student’s financial situation.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). This type of grant is for undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need. Students can qualify by completing the FAFSA. The school’s website encourages students to apply for this grant as early as possible because the award will depend not just on financial need but also on the number of financial aid options available to the student.
- Federal Pell Grants. According to NCES, 21 percent of Columbia University students received Federal Pell grants. This stipend is perfect for undergraduates who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. The maximum reward for a Pell grant in the academic year of 2021 to 2022 was $6,495.
- NYS STEM Incentive Program. This scholarship program is suitable for New York residents participating in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) degree program. The maximum stipend that qualifying students can receive annually is $7,070.
Columbia University Average Net Price by Income
|Family Income||Columbia University Net Price|
|$0 to $30,000||$9,873|
|$30,001 to $48,000||$4,699|
|$48,001 to $75,000||$8,106|
|$110,001 and up||$40,584|
Columbia University’s average net price is $12,411. The table above can assist students in estimating the average Columbia University cost of attendance. In addition, students can see the average net price broken down by income, showing that lower-income students have lower costs for college.
How to Calculate Columbia University Cost
Students at Columbia University can determine their cost of attendance using tools such as the school’s college cost calculator. Factors that may influence this cost include the student’s family situation, income, and whether the student lives in or out of state. Regardless, it is crucial to recognize that this is only a beginning point for students to prepare for what the actual costs might look like.
Is the Cost of College Too High?
No, the cost of college is not too high if you take advantage of Columbia University’s financial aid opportunities. However, according to the US News & World Report, Columbia University ranks first among the most expensive schools, with over $60,000 for tuition and fees. However, if students make an effort to save money for college and utilize the financial assistance available, they stand to receive a tuition discount or even a waiver. Remember, the net price for Columbia University is just over $12,000.
Columbia University Student Debt
- Students Receiving Federal Loans: 8%
- Median Debt After Graduation: $21,500
- Average Monthly Loan Payment: $215
In 2021, students left Columbia University with a total federal loan debt of $29,757, according to Statista. However, currently, Columbia University has a low rate of students receiving federal loans, indicating that the institution has sufficient financial aid to cover the cost of attendance.
According to the school’s website, Columbia University students can fill out the FAFSA to be considered for additional financial help, such as grants and scholarships. International students should inquire directly with the school to learn more about the financial aid available to them.
Columbia University Tuition Payment Plans
Columbia University offers two payment plans: a monthly plan and a single prepayment plan. The monthly plan permits students to pay tuition and fees gradually over several months. The single prepayment option allows graduate students to pay tuition in advance.
Columbia University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
Columbia University’s graduates have median earnings of $89,871. However, according to the school’s website, incomes vary based on various factors, including industry, location, and years of experience. For example, the hospitality and healthcare industries had a greater employment rate of 31 percent for 2021, while tech and non-profit sectors had a lower rate of five percent.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
How to Save Money in College
- Establish a budget. Being financially prepared will allow you to prioritize funds for tuition and additional fees and costs. In addition, you can better track your personal expenses and develop good financial habits. To start, you can use a variety of different free budgeting apps. Some Ivy League online master’s programs are more affordable and should be considered when creating your budget.
- Get a part-time job. The income you get from working will assist you in paying for tuition and other costs. In addition, you will acquire crucial time management skills for your professional career.
- Consider public transportation. Using public transport will save you money compared to driving your own vehicle. In addition, public transportation lowers additional costs such as petrol, insurance, and parking.
- Live with your family. Living with parents means spending less on monthly expenses. Another perk is that you’d be surrounded by support from family members, especially since making the transition to higher education can be a different and taxing experience.
- Limit social activities. Reducing the number of social outings can significantly help you save money for college. It might be challenging to cut back on social activities, but being responsible and prioritizing college will make things easier in the long run.
Is Columbia University Affordable?
Yes, Columbia University can be affordable. According to the school’s website, 50 percent of students receive financial aid. In addition, students whose household income is less than $150,000 may qualify for a tuition waiver. Columbia University’s financial help comes in the form of scholarship funds, grants, and work-study programs that can give you funding to cover tuition.
Columbia University Cost FAQ
Four years at Columbia University could cost upwards of $240,000, as the school’s annual tuition is $60,518. This price excludes fees such as accommodation and board, books and supplies, and transportation costs. However, there are various financial aid options available, so many students do not pay the full tuition rate.
Yes, Columbia University is one of the eight members of the Ivy League. Ivy League schools are known for their excellent academic requirements and competitive admissions process. They are prestigious schools that are often at the top of the list for students who want the best educational opportunities.
Yes, Columbia University degrees are highly respected. Columbia is a prestigious institution that ranked among the top 20 universities in the world in 2022. In addition, Columbia University is a member of the Ivy League, which guarantees academic excellence. The university’s status and prestige help students stand out from the competition.
Yes, full-coverage scholarships are available at Columbia University. However, such scholarships are based on financial need. At the time of writing, the university does not offer any merit-based scholarships. Columbia University also offers grants and work-study opportunities. International students, however, may need to reach out to the school for more information.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.