Are you curious about the Internet of Things, otherwise known as IOT? Many people are, but it can be difficult to find resources to help navigate this fascinating system. Luckily for you, we have created this guide with all of the best resources for your IOT learning journey.
Whatever type of learner you are, there are resources in this guide that will work for you. From free, in-person, and online courses to books and various online resources, it is safe to say there are many different ways to learn everything you need to know about the Internet of Things (IOT).
What Is IOT?
So what is IOT? To put it simply, IOT is a system of billions of devices, mechanical and digital machines, people, and even animals, that are given the ability to transfer big data across various IOT networks.
By using the IOT platform, pretty much anything in the world can become a connected device that uses Wi-Fi and Internet connections to send and receive IOT data and information. This basically means everything is able to be connected and you can find whatever answers you need in real-time.
What Is IOT Used For?
Since IOT is such a broad system, it makes sense that its uses are quite varied. Encapsulating everything from smart home product design to monitoring health and the environment, IOT really does it all.
- Smart Home Products. Many people pursuing mechanical engineering degrees know that IOT can be used to create smart home products and eventually, smart cities. Using IOT sensors and IOT security, mechanical engineers have created some of our favorite smart home products such as Ring doorbells.
- Remote Health Monitoring. IOT devices are being used in many hospitals and elder care homes to do remote health monitoring. This technology is seen in new hospital smart beds, blood pressure monitors, pacemakers, and even advanced hearing aids.
- Transportation Systems. Throughout the course of a civil engineering program, you will likely learn a lot about transportation systems. By using IOT, civil engineers are able to make connected cars, electronic toll systems, and automatic vehicle control systems.
- Environmental Monitoring. In any environmental science career, you will learn the importance of environmental monitoring. This includes collecting data about wildlife activity, water quality, air quality, soil conditions, and even natural disasters.
Learning IOT can be difficult, but many welcome the challenge. Whether you are choosing to learn IOT as a part of learning machine learning or as a prerequisite for your dream engineering career, this useful system has a lot to offer.
In order to learn IOT, we recommend a combination of taking classes, reading informational books, and taking advantage of the many online resources available to help you along. There are so many different paths you can take but ultimately, learning IOT requires a lot of studying and hard work.
How Long Does It Take to Learn IOT?
It is difficult to measure the amount of time it takes to learn IOT, as it really is different for everyone. Most experts in IOT will tell you it takes at least a few months to really learn the system, though others will tell you it can take years to fully understand.
If you are wanting to learn IOT quickly, you can put in a lot of time studying and taking classes, and you will likely have it down in a few months. For those who want to learn at their own pace, we suggest setting small learning goals and not putting your learning into time constraints.
How to Learn IOT: Step-by-Step
Whatever way you decide to learn, following this basic step-by-step tutorial will help ensure you are set up for success. These 5 steps are more of a guideline to follow than anything, so feel free to switch up the steps to best suit your needs.
- Ensure You Have the Necessary Hardware. Unfortunately, you can’t just use any hardware to complete projects in IOT. Take some time to research what it is you are wanting to learn how to do and what hardware works best for it before trying to learn.
- Learn the Basics. Once you have figured out what hardware you will need, you can begin to learn the basics of IOT. There are plenty of short tutorials you can watch on YouTube and other websites to teach you how to navigate the system. Be sure you have the basics down before moving on to more advanced stuff.
- Enroll in IOT Training Classes. Can you teach IOT to yourself? Yes, but it will likely be stressful and frustrating. Save yourself the frustration and enroll in a few IOT training classes. When you are able to learn from experts, whether in-person or online, you will learn much easier and faster.
- Read IOT Books. Even if books aren’t really your thing, you should try picking up an informational book about IOT. You will be surprised at how helpful these books can be and you will most definitely learn new concepts and techniques.
- Take Advantage of Online Resources. Never assume you know everything there is to know. Whether you are just beginning to learn IOT or have been studying the system for years, you will always find more to learn and brush up on. Take advantage of the many online resources for IOT help and never stop learning.
The Best IOT Courses and Training
Enrolling in IOT courses is the best way to learn how to navigate the IOT system. No matter what type of class you prefer, we have you covered. Below, you will find all of our favorite in-person, online, and even free courses.
Best In-Person IOT Classes
Taking in-person courses can be the easiest way for many students to learn. Especially when it comes to complex topics, having an instructor available to guide you in real-time can be extremely helpful.
Introduction to IoT, IoT Fundamentals: Big Data and Analytics, IoT Fundamentals: Connecting Things, IoT Fundamentals: Hackathon Playbook
- Provider: Cisco Networking Academy- Various locations
- Prerequisites: None
- Cost: Varies
Cisco Networking Academy is one of the top IOT training centers available. These four IOT courses are offered at many of their 10,400 locations, all at different costs based upon the chosen location. In these courses, you will learn all of the fundamental skills needed to master IOT.
- Provider: Georgia Tech Professional Education- Atlanta, GA
- Prerequisites: Some software development experience
Through Georgia Tech, you can enroll in a hands-on IOT training course. This course allows you to learn how to use IOT for software development and teaches students how to work with Raspberry Pi and the various IOT sensor devices. The course also covers more advanced topics such as security and privacy.
Best Online IOT Courses
While online courses require a bit more discipline and focus, these can be the best option for those with busy schedules. Being able to learn at your own pace and having a flexible schedule can relieve a lot of the stress of learning this challenging system.
- Provider: Udemy
- Prerequisites: None
- Cost: $119.99
Udemy is well-known for being a goldmine of technology-related courses, so it is no surprise this IOT complete guide course ended up on our favorites list. In this course, you will learn how to build, code, and design your very own IOT products.
- Provider: Coursera
- Prerequisites: none
This specialization program through Coursera is a beginner-level program consisting of multiple IOT programming courses. Offered by the University of California at Irvine, this program will walk you through the basics of programming in the IOT system.
Best Free IOT Courses
Who doesn’t love free things? These IOT courses are free, meaning you can become an expert in IOT software without breaking the bank.
- Provider: Coursera
- Prerequisites: None
- Cost: Free
Another awesome Coursera class to enroll in is this free Introduction to IOT and Embedded Systems course. In this course, you will learn all about the basics of IOT and embedded systems, making it the perfect course for IOT newbies.
- Provider: Alison
- Prerequisites: None
- Cost: Free
In this free course offered by Alison, you will learn the importance of the integration of cloud computing with IOT. This course offers real-world examples to keep you engaged and ends with an assessment and certificate of completion.
Best IOT Books
Again, reading books isn’t for everybody, we get it. However, even skimming through one or two of these fantastic IOT books can really improve your skills and help you learn the system faster.
IOT Inc. How Your Company Can Use the Internet of Things to Win in the Outcome Economy, Bruce Sinclair
Bruce Sinclair’s IoT Inc. book is written for company CEOs and business owners to better understand how IOT can positively impact their business. This book covers all of the IOT strategies and uses needed to help your business prosper in the future of IOT.
In Build Your Own IoT Platform, Anand Tamboli walks you through the necessary steps and processes to actually build an IOT platform. Whether you are a novice IOT user or an expert, this guide will certainly contain useful information when trying to develop a functioning IOT platform.
An installation of the Learning Path book series, Colin Dow and Perry Lea’s Mastering IOT is a textbook-style guide to learning IOT. This book walks you through everything you need to know about IOT in a way that will likely simulate learning in a college classroom environment, ensuring a thorough and useful education.
One of the best things you can do to advance your career is to become certified in IOT. Any employer who sees an IOT certification listed on your resume will be impressed, and more likely to hire you than other candidates lacking these credentials.
Through Stanford University, you can enroll in an IOT graduate certificate program. This program is similar to a college degree, as you will have to take multiple courses, but it only takes one to two years to complete and can be earned online. Before applying to this certificate program, you will need to have earned a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and some experience working with various programming languages.
Amazon Web Services offers an IOT FOundation Series that ends with an AWS IOT certification. This series of courses is meant for those at an intermediate-level of IOT understanding and takes around 9.5 hours to complete. Upon completing this series, you will earn an AWS certificate, which is becoming more and more desirable by employers.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Best Online IOT Resources
For both beginners and experts, these IOT online resources can be extremely helpful. Whether you need help learning a new concept or need a refresher on something you learned a long time ago, these resources have you covered.
IoT For All is a website containing all sorts of IOT goodies. This community-based website offers a variety of articles, podcasts, events, and solutions to commonly occurring problems in IOT. This website is free to use and has a plethora of information anyone would be excited to access.
IoT StackExchange is a forum-based website for IOT enthusiasts. After creating an account, you can ask questions, browse forums, and answer others’ questions with your own advice. This is a fantastic website for those who want to be part of an online community.
PostScapes is an interesting website full of information regarding the various uses of IOT. While this may not be the most educational, it is a great place to go when looking for new project ideas or ways to apply IOT to your life.
Should You Study IOT?
The Internet of Things is said to be the future of the internet, so for anyone with the opportunity and motivation to study IOT, we definitely recommend doing so. By enrolling in a few courses, reading some books, visiting online resources, and earning certifications, you can become an IOT master.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.