Technology is one of the fastest-growing industries and job markets in the world. Frankly, it’s easy to see why the tech world has garnered so much success. Not only are jobs in the tech sector fulfilling, they usually come stacked with a major salary and tons of benefits.
Those are just a few of the many reasons people are flocking to the tech world in search of their dream jobs. What kind of jobs await those who make the switch to the wild west of the technology industry? That’s what CareerKarma is here to find out!
The word “engineer” in the tech industry is kind of an umbrella term and can mean several things. For the purpose of this article, all job titles that actually have the word “engineer” in them, will fall into this category. Some of these jobs could include hardware engineers, software engineers, site reliability engineers, and development operations engineers. While some are more self-explanatory than others, it’s important to know what each job entails. Let’s break this down!
- Hardware engineers design computer software.
- They usually work in teams to build and troubleshoot existing and new hardware.
- Median hardware engineer salary: $85,441.
- Software engineers design and develop computer programs.
- They often work in teams with other engineers.
- Median software engineer salary: $81,940.
Site Reliability Engineers
- Site reliability engineers maintain and troubleshoot websites.
- They typically work in teams to meet goals and update requirements for websites.
- Median site reliability engineer salary: $119,024.
Development Operations (DevOps) Engineers
- DevOps engineers work in a variety of technical areas, including databases and information systems.
- They typically work with IT teams to oversee areas such as database architecture and information security.
- Median development operations engineer salary: $91,465.
The developers and designers are the idea machines behind almost anything that is technologically driven. So, if you drive your car and it happens to have a computer-based system, thank a developer or a designer. When you seamlessly scroll through online websites to purchase a new shirt, thank a developer or a designer. If you’ve just hit a new record in your favorite online game, thank a dev—okay, you get the point.
Basically, without developers or designers, the Internet and technology as we know it would be either nonexistent or at least super clunky and anti-user friendly. Prominent tech development and designing jobs include mobile application developers, web developers, and UI/UI designers.
- Mobile application developers develop apps for mobile devices such as Apple or Android.
- This field offers a wide variety of employment opportunities.
- Median mobile application developer salary: $72,066.
- Web developers create web content and code web pages.
- They also optimize web user experiences.
- WebDevs typically work in teams with designers and other IT professionals.
- Median web developer salary: $58,005.
- UI and UX design are two slightly different jobs which are usually lumped together.
- They focus on the usability of a program and work to improve the overall user experience.
- UI/UX designers work closely with software developers.
- Median UI/UX Designer salary: $63,313.
These technology jobs are designed to make workers specialists in their respective fields. Both analysts and architects spend lots of time strategizing and poring over data. Without these jobs, many companies would lose complete functionality, and some of the greatest innovations may have never happened!
Prominent jobs in this category include information security analysts, computer systems analysts, applications architects, and computer network architects.
Information Security Analysts
- Information security analysts develop and implement computer security strategies.
- They also monitor networks for security breaches.
- Further, they educate others on computer security.
- Median information security analyst salary: $70,521.
Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer systems analysts evaluate computer systems and procedures.
- They also form strategies to increase productivity and lower costs, and also design and program system updates.
- Further, they work closely with software development teams.
- Median computer systems analyst salary: $66,910.
- Applications architects ensure projects follow specific development methodology and strategize with original content creators
- They also design components of applications.
- Median applications architect salary: $107,831.
Computer Network Architects
- Computer network architects build and implement computer and data networks.
- They also maintain and update networks.
- Median computer network architect salary: $116,332.
Just a Few among the Many
While this may seem like a lot of careers, we’ve only just scratched the surface of the thousands offered in the tech industry. We haven’t even started with the administrators, managers, and scientists!
With so many careers out there, it may seem overwhelming to those who are new to the tech industry. You may not know where to begin or which careers interest you. Career Karma can help! Check out our numerous articles on jobs in the tech industry to see which one is right for you. Once you’ve found your dream job, CareerKarma can help you get there!
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.