5 Skills That Vue Projects Can Help You Practice
- HTML. HTML, which stands for HyperText Markup Language, is an essential tool for any developer, as it is widely considered to be one of the most basic building blocks of the Web. Through HTML, you will be able to create the structure for your websites and apps.
- CSS. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets, and it is the tool used to determine the presentation of a site written in a markup language like HTML. It is a simple coding language that will allow you to adjust the fonts, colors, and spacing of elements on a website.
- API. API stands for Application Programming Interface. APIs essentially act as intermediaries between two applications that need to communicate with each other. Learning to work with APIs is essential to creating applications with Vue.
- Vue CLI. To use Vue to its fullest potential, you will need to master its command-line interface or CLI. You can use the CLI to attach the best front end tools to your Vue projects instantly and allow for customization according to your needs.
Best Vue Project Ideas for Beginners
Even if you’re just getting started, the best way to improve your skills and gain confidence in working with Vue is through hands-on experience. Below you’ll find a list of project ideas designed to help beginners learn and develop the core concepts of Vue programming.
In this project, you will be creating a simple checkout form. The page will be used to obtain user data necessary for a purchase, including shipping address and payment methods. This project is a stepping stone towards learning how to build a full e-commerce site. To complete the project, you can use a CSS framework such as Bulma or Bootstrap.
Through this project, you will create an app to keep track of new recipes. It includes the creation of a simple form where you can add ingredients, steps, and the name of the recipe. This is a simple project to practice some basic Vue functionalities and create a simple app for everyday use.
A to-do app is a perfect project for beginners. This is a simple Vue app that allows users to list and keep track of pending tasks. Users will be able to see a list of active to-dos and edit it, review completed tasks, and check the dates when the tasks were created.
Anyone who’s tried to lose or gain weight knows how valuable a good weight tracking app can be during this process. Through this project, you will build a simple app that allows users to keep track of their weight and measurements. It also includes a feature to keep track of your calorie consumption.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Best Intermediate Vue Project Ideas
Once you have gained some experience with the basics, you might consider working on some more challenging projects to advance your skills further. Below is a list of project ideas at the intermediate level that you can try.
- Vue Skills Practiced: Vue CLI, HTML, CSS
Creating a news website with Vue.js and an external API is a great way to practice your skills as an intermediate user. Through this project, you will create an app that shows the latest news in a grid or a list as part of the main page view. You will implement a NewsAPI for this application since it is straightforward, well-documented, and contains a lot of information. Users will then be directed to the source page after clicking on the news card.
Next up is a Vue project where you will build a quiz app. The app includes math questions and offers users five different answers from which they have to select the correct one. Throughout the project, you will learn to create a variety of code segments that you’ll be able to personalize and include in a variety of scenarios.
This project will instruct you on how to build a reading list application with Vue.js. You’ll design an array of components that combine to produce a list of book titles and authors, and you’ll also create a form for adding books to the list.
In this project, you will learn how to build a URL shortener using the Vue framework. This allows users to shorten links and make it easier to share them when there is a limited number of characters. You will also create a feature that allows users to copy the shortened link by clicking a button. The process should be done using an external-friendly API, like T.ly’s API, which is free, well-documented, and can be used by beginners as well as experts.
Best Advanced Vue Project Ideas
If you’re ready to try your hand at some complex projects, we’ve got you covered. Below are some of the best advanced Vue project ideas to inspire you and help you create strong portfolio pieces.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
E-commerce sites offer businesses the chance to reduce costs and engage with customers directly. Through this project, you will be building an e-commerce site using Vuex, Vue Router, and Axios. The project includes accessing a list of products, details, basic cart management, user authentication, and the creation of a checkout page.
- Vue Skills Practiced: Vue CLI, HTML, CSS
This project involves building a simple recommendation system for books and movies by creating an artificial neural network with Vue. Users will be able to select books or movies, and then will be taken to recommendations predicted by the app based on their original selection. This is a great project to take on if you’re interested in learning more about artificial neural networks and how they’re built.
In this project, you will be creating a DevMeetUp website. It includes meetup options, an archive of past events, and features to allow users to sign up for future meetups listed on the site. The project will walk you through adding users, working with databases, and how to store images and other data to be displayed on the site.
OCR applications are used to detect and extract text from an image. Through this project, you will be using Vue to create an application with a drop area where you can add an image of your choice. The app will then scan it for text, and extract it separately.
Applications like Trello have become essential for project management and team coordination. Through this project, you will be creating a full Trello clone, including boards, lists, and cards, to help users keep track of multiple tasks. You will use Vue.js, Vuetify.js, and Feathers.js to complete the clone.
Vue Starter Project Templates
There are a lot of Vue templates out there, but the ones that have open source code are essential for creating high-quality Vue apps. Below are some of the top Vue templates containing crucial features often needed for new projects.
- Best for Webpack. The original Vue developer team has created this Webpack template. It is updated constantly and is the best template for developing Webpack-based SPAs. You can implement custom configurations through this template, which makes working on projects a lot less time-consuming.
- Best for PWAs. Make sure to check out this template if you’re dealing with PWAs. This template uses server-side rendering and data caching to ensure maximum efficiency when building software. Additionally, the template comes with multi-language support, head tag management features, and SEO capabilities (the SSR enables your web pages to be indexed by search engines).
- Best for Authentication. The Vue Express Mongo Template is the best choice for projects that involve user authentication. This template comes with a wide array of authentication boilerplates. This is a highly secure template and follows best practices. A remote logging service is also offered by the template.
- Best for Documentation. Chris Fritz, who wrote much of Vue’s comprehensive documentation, created and maintains this project, so it adheres to Vue’s best practices and is well organized. With this template, you can easily create components, views, and layouts with automatic unit tests attached to the framework’s simulated APIs and generators.
- Best for GraphQL. This template is compatible with multiple data manipulation languages such as GraphQL and Apollo and utilizes an in-browser integrated development environment. You can use all of the features in GraphQL through Vue.js. The template also comes with Storybook, a tool for creating, testing, and sharing interactive UI components.
Next Steps: Start Organizing Your Vue Portfolio
If you’re ready to start your job hunt, you’ll need an outstanding portfolio to back you up. Below we’ve listed some top tips to help you create the best possible portfolio to showcase your skills and help you land your dream job.
Select Your Strongest Projects
It might be tempting to add every single project you’ve created throughout your Vue journey. However, your best bet when putting a portfolio together is to be selective. Pick only the pieces you’re most proud of, the ones that truly showcase your creativity and your ability to solve problems.
Explain Things from a User’s Perspective
When you add a piece to your portfolio, make sure to explain the project in terms of the benefits it offers to users or the problem it solves. This will help demonstrate to potential employers that you are not just thinking about the code, but also about how your work can benefit clients. It will also highlight your problem-solving skills.
Curate Your Portfolio According to the Role
Make sure you get clear on the type of role you want to land and curate your portfolio accordingly. Pick the projects that include the skills you will be using daily in your desired role, and leave out projects that are unrelated. This will add focus to your portfolio and demonstrate your interest in pursuing a specific career path.
Vue Projects FAQ
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
No, Vue was designed to be lightweight and easy to use. Its developer interface is simple and not cluttered. Vue also makes integrating existing projects faster since it relies on simple syntax and templates to add components.
To gain a thorough understanding of Vue, you’ll need anywhere from a few weeks to a few years of intensive studying and practice. You can choose to learn independently or through online courses, but you can also look up the best Vue.js bootcamps to get hands-on training and master Vue in a short time.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.