If you are looking into military service, then you’ll need to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test. The best ASVAB prep books will help you prepare for exam day whether your career goals include getting into West Point or becoming an engineer. Like any military operation, you need the right plan of attack and equipment to execute this mission.
We’ve evaluated ASVAB review books to bring you a guide to the best ASVAB prep books and free ASVAB prep books. These study books have practice test questions, detailed answer explanations, and review guides. This guide includes extra online resources and study materials to help you get a good score.
Should I Take the ASVAB?
Yes, you should take the ASVAB if you want to join the US Military. The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery determines your skill level in different key subjects and is used as an aptitude test by recruiters to suggest a suitable armed services career. This test shapes your career path in the military since different branches of the military use the ASVAB score to determine eligibility for different career paths.
Common ASVAB Sections You Need to Prepare For
- General Science. This section of the ASVAB tests your knowledge of basic science topics at a high school level. Topics include biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Arithmetic Reasoning. In this section, you’ll be asked to use math skills to solve basic arithmetic word problems. It evaluates your mathematical thinking.
- Word Knowledge. This ASVAB section tests your vocabulary. You’ll be given different words and asked to identify the meaning of the word or give a synonym.
- Paragraph Comprehension. The paragraph comprehension section tests your ability to find information in different kinds of writing. Students will be given different passages and asked to provide in-depth answers based on the information presented to them.
- Mathematics Knowledge. The mathematics knowledge section is more technical than the arithmetic reasoning section. You’ll need to prove you have mathematical knowledge of algebra, geometry, and arithmetic.
- Electronics Information. This section tests your knowledge of electrical currents, circuits, and devices. The topics in the electronics information are electrical tools, electrical currents, symbols, and materials.
- Auto and Shop Information. This section covers areas like automotive components, troubleshooting, and automotive repair.
- Mechanical Comprehension. To pass the mechanical comprehension test, you need a good knowledge of simple and compound machines. Areas such as mechanical motion and fluid dynamics are also tested here.
- Assembling Objects. In this section, you’ll be given images of parts that make up an object. These questions use real examples to test how well you can imagine a final product from its component parts.
The 10 Best ASVAB Prep Books to Help You Get Ready
1. Mometrix ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022: ASVAB Test Prep Secrets (5th Edition)
- Best for: ASVAB general prep
This Mometrix prep book is filled with critical information that makes your preparation for the ASVAB test easier. It has practice test questions with detailed explanations and study tips and strategies. Mometrix test preparation books include links to online videos and additional study material.
2. Kaplan ASVAB Prep Plus 2022–2023
- Best for: Improving Arithmetic Reasoning and Mathematics Reasoning
Kaplan ASVAB Prep Plus has over a thousand practice questions with detailed explanations. This Kaplan ASVAB preparation guide includes access to video instructions, flashcards, an app, and six full-length ASVAB practice tests. The Kaplan ASVAB guide will improve your math skills, and it offers expert study tips to improve your score.
3. Kaplan ASVAB Total Prep 2022–2023
- Best for: Studying all ASVAB sections
You will find even more proven strategies and study tips you need to excel in the ASVAB test in the Kaplan ASVAB Total Prep package. With over 2,600 practice test questions with answers, an extensive word list to improve your vocabulary, online practice tests, and additional practice tests in the book this is the most comprehensive study guide to prepare you for the actual exam.
4. 2021/2022 ASVAB For Dummies
- Best for: Math and science sections
2021/2022 ASVAB For Dummies offers an in-depth subject review for each of the ASVAB test sections with practice test questions. This prep book will help you improve your math, science, and English knowledge for a better ASVAB score. This ASVAB study guide has beneficial test-taking strategies to help even the most anxious test takers get a passing score on the ASVAB.
5. Newstone Test Prep ASVAB Exam Prep 2021-2022
- Best for: General science
Newstone Test Prep ASVAB Exam Prep 2021-2022 includes more than 450 practice test questions with detailed answer explanations. You will also find three full-length practice tests and an in-depth review of all the ASVAB sections, and it comes at an affordable price. These study materials help thousands of students pass the ASVAB and start a military career.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
6. Test Prep Books Military Team ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022
- Best for: Comprehensive review of all ASVAB sections
Test Prep Books Military Team’s ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022 is a must-have book to improve your current skill level before the actual exam. You will find realistic practice questions for all sections of the ASVAB and detailed explanations. In addition to what you find in a typical study guide, this book includes test-taking strategies to ensure you pass all the ASVAB sections.
7. Smart Edition ASVAB Full Study Guide
- Best for: ASVAB video lessons
The Smart Edition ASVAB prep book’s study plan has more than 1,000 practice test questions and online flashcards for every section, plus more than 100 review videos. Smart Edition Media ASVAB Full Study Guide is more affordable than the average price for ASVAB review guides.
8. Trivium Test Prep ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022
- Best for: ASVAB general studies
Trivium Test Prep ASVAB Study Guide is colorful with amazing graphics and the online study guide resources include digital flashcards and concise section review guides. It has two full practice tests with numerous examples.
9. Accepted, Inc. ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022
- Best for: ASVAB tips and test-taking strategies
The Accepted, Inc. ASVAB Study Guide offers a full review of all the ASVAB sections. You will also find the best tips and strategies to pass the ASVAB test. The section reviews are condensed for effective study time, and it is a good preparation guide for students who have taken time off between high school and taking the ASVAB.
10. APEX Test Prep ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022
- Best for: Complete review and test-taking strategies
APEX Test Prep ASVAB Study Guide makes preparing for the test easy. You’ll find comprehensive section reviews written in clear language that is easy to understand at any skill level. There are practice tests and additional practice questions with correct answers explained.
Free ASVAB Books and Resources to Help You Get Ready
- Union Test Prep Free ASVAB Study Guide
- ASVAB Career Exploration Program
Best ASVAB Prep Books FAQ
To prepare for the ASVAB test, start by creating a basic study schedule. Take as many online practice tests as you can, unofficial practice tests are ok to use. Find a good ASVAB preparation book and watch review videos for subjects that you find challenging. Use online flashcards to improve your vocabulary for the word knowledge section.
Yes, an ASVAB prep book will help you get into ranger school. The ASVAB test is one of the requirements to get into a ranger school, and to do well you’ll need to study. Following an ASVAB study guide from an ASVAB prep book will help you improve your ASVAB score.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
The lowest ASVAB score to join the military is 31 for the Army, according to Indeed. Some branches of service require higher minimum scores. For instance, the Coast Guard requires candidates to score 40 or higher.
The best ASVAB prep books that offer detailed answer explanations and provide online resources are Kaplan ASVAB Prep Plus 2022–2023, Smart Edition Media ASVAB Full Study Guide, Trivium Test Prep ASVAB Practice Test Book 2021-2022, Test Prep Books ASVAB Study Guide 2021-2022, and Newstone Test Prep ASVAB Exam Prep 2021-2022.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.