Most employers have requirements for entry-level jobs. Whether you are a fresh college graduate or not, there are certain conditions that must be met for employers to consider your application. College grads often find their lack of job experience is a hindrance in the job market, however, there are numerous opportunities open to them.
The best jobs for college grads with no experience offer great compensation and create an avenue to kick-start a prosperous professional career. This article discusses the highest-paying jobs for college grads with no experience and provides tips on attaining them. We have also put together a list of companies that hire fresh college graduates to help you get started.
What Is a College Grad With No Experience?
A college grad is someone who has recently attained a college degree, usually a bachelor’s degree. Because of the extreme time demands of many college programs, graduates often have minimal professional experience and struggle to find entry-level work.
What Jobs Are Available to College Grads with No Experience?
LinkedIn’s 2021 Grad’s Guide to Getting Hired highlights IT and software, healthcare, logistics and transportation, and retail sectors as top industries with the most entry-level positions. This list shows that the doors are open in a wide range of fields to recent college grads.
College grads with no experience can begin as software engineers, medical secretaries, sales representatives, human resources assistants, real estate agents, and proofreaders. As long as you have relevant skills, it is possible to land a job that will put you on the path to achieving your career goals.
Companies That Hire College Grads With No Experience
- Accenture. This multinational corporation offers technical services like digital strategy, cyber security, and consulting in over 120 countries.
- Deloitte. Deloitte provides professional services such as finance and risk advice, audit and assurance, and other associated services in over 150 countries as a worldwide corporation.
- EY (Ernst & Young). This leading global accounting firm offers customers tax, digital strategy, consulting, legal, and risk advisory services.
- IBM. IBM is a technology company that produces hardware and software. Their operations include cloud computing, data analytics, and artificial intelligence.
- Intel. Intel manufactures microprocessors, motherboards, graphics chips, and integrated circuits for computers and other devices.
10 Highest-Paying Jobs for College Grads With No Experience
|Job Title||Average Salary||Top 10% Salary|
|Real Estate Agent||$82,898||$109,900|
|Junior Graphic Designer||$41,317||$55,000|
|Junior Legal Assistant||$38,147||$52,000|
The majority of jobs for college graduates allow them to learn while working and get the experience they need to further their careers. The following compilation highlights college grads’ key responsibilities and requirements in various high-paying jobs.
Software engineers use engineering principles to develop and design software for computer, mobile, and web applications. Good programming knowledge using languages like C++, Python, and Java, and a background in computer science is necessary for this position. As a college grad, you should have the technical skills relevant to the job.
Real Estate Agents
Real estate agents serve as intermediaries between property buyers and sellers. They help clients sell, lease, and acquire real estate. They also keep their clients informed about market conditions and provide expert advice to help them make strategic decisions. A business degree or real estate certificate will be sufficient to practice in this field as an entry-level candidate.
Project engineers coordinate and oversee the activities involved in a project. They contribute largely to the planning, budgeting, and execution of projects. Employers prefer a bachelor’s degree in engineering for this position. Soft skills like communication, problem-solving, and conflict management are essential in this position.
Financial analysts apply finance, statistics, and business administration knowledge to provide expert advice surrounding an organization’s financial state. They monitor stocks, bonds, and foreign financial markets. While a bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field will be sufficient for entry-level employment, you need a higher degree to attain more prominent positions.
Account managers maintain the relationship between customers and organizations. They manage sales, prepare records, respond to client queries, and discover new opportunities for stakeholders. A college major in business administration or a sales-related field is best for this position. If you want to increase your earning capacity, consider a master’s degree in business or marketing.
Recruiters are in charge of the entire screening process of an organization. They advertise job openings, sort and review applications, shortlist and interview candidates, and help employers pick the best candidate for a job. A degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field is necessary. Your communication skills and analytical skills will play a critical role.
Proofreaders check and scrutinize written works and documents before printing and publication. They ensure a written piece is error-free and grammatically correct. While a bachelor’s degree in English or journalism is typical for this job, you can become a proofreader as long as you display a strong understanding of language and grammar.
Junior Graphic Designers
Junior graphic designers help with all aspects of the design process, from concept creation to design development, to final corrections. It is common to have a degree in graphic design, but it is not a prerequisite for this role. Your creativity is essential, and you can hone your design skills through constant practice with graphic design projects.
Junior Legal Assistants
The primary duty of junior legal assistants is to support and work closely with lawyers. They prepare documents, conduct legal research, communicate with clients, and organize meetings. You should have a degree in paralegal studies to qualify for this role. However, if you have an unrelated degree, you can register to get a paralegal studies certificate.
Administrative assistants are like secretaries. They perform clerical tasks and support the staff of an organization. Their primary duties include arranging files and documents, preparing reports, and scheduling meetings. While some employers will accept a high school diploma for this role, others request an associate’s or a bachelor’s degree.
Tips for Finding Success as a College Grad With No Experience
Thousands of college grads have to compete for positions in a tough job market every year. Without having the relevant experience most employers require, you need to have something else to offer. While your college degree is great, it may be insufficient to begin your ascent on the corporate ladder. Consider the following tips to find success in your job search.
- Identify your interests and goals. Besides having a degree in your desired field, you need to discover your passion and interests. This will help you create feasible short and long-term goals for yourself. In addition, it will prevent you from applying to just any job and help you focus on a suitable career for you.
- Research. You have to acquire more information about your chosen career path. You should take note of any technical and interpersonal skills necessary. Also, you must examine the minimum formal work experience most employers require. That way, you will discover your inadequacies and know how to cater to them.
- Apply for internships. This is a great way to gain the professional experience essential in your field. Whether you are getting paid or not, your focus should be to gain more knowledge and exposure to industry practices. Your internship experience and any volunteer work you do will count during your job application and bolster your resume.
- Network. Every professional should possess networking skills. If possible, contact professionals in your desired field to give you expert advice related to your career. You can attend job fairs or utilize social media platforms. These professionals will provide you with insight into the industry’s critical skills and, in some cases, give you a referral.
- Build a solid resume. Your resume summarises your professional career and highlights your key skills and experience. You can still have a strong resume even if you don’t have any work experience. Ensure that your resume is different for every job post. Focus on the keywords in the job listing and expound your value and capabilities to employers.
Jobs for College Grads With No Experience Outlook
The New York Times reported that between February to March 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic induced a 29 percent drop in the number of job posts. With the significant drop in the employment rates, this data demonstrates the tough competition in the job market for college graduates.
However, it is only a matter of time until the effects of the pandemic wear off. With the number of job posts for entry-level jobs increasing on Indeed and other job boards, there is certainly a glimmer of hope for college grads with no previous experience.
Best Jobs for College Grads With No Experience FAQ
It usually takes about three to six months. However, it really depends on you. Before graduation, you can start your preparation and job search. If you start early enough, you will likely get a job immediately after graduation.
Take note of your interests and choose a career path. Research entry-level jobs in that field and pay attention to the requirements. If you lack the relevant experience, consider applying for internships. Also, ensure to network with professionals and develop a compelling resume before applying for a job.
Yes, It can be tough to get a job as a college graduate. College grads have to face a tough job market to secure an entry-level position for themselves, especially one that pays well. There are many qualified candidates, and often a greater supply of grads than employers depending on the field.
STEM-related fields come at the top of this list. However, various opportunities in other fields come with great compensation for new graduates. Software engineering, project management, and junior graphic design roles are worth considering. You can also be paid a decent salary as an analyst and accountant in the financial sector.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.