With the rise of the gig economy and the impact of the pandemic, working for platforms such as Uber or Grubhub has become a popular choice for people in the market for flexible work. You can make a decent amount of money by working as a Grubhub delivery driver if you know what you’re doing. A great advantage is you don’t need any experience to get started in this role.
If you’re looking for a job where you can choose your own hours and don’t need to go to an office or report to a boss, Grubhub has just what you need. This food delivery application provides independent contractors an opportunity to create their own schedules and make money on their own terms. Read on to find out how much you can make on Grubhub.
What Is Grubhub?
Grubhub is an online food delivery service based in the US. This food delivery platform connects diners to their favorite restaurants in their area. The company relies on user reviews to improve the delivery experience. The app features over 300,000 restaurant partners located in 4,000 different US cities.
Just Eat Takeaway acquired Grubhub in 2020, which has resulted in the change of the logo. While Grubhub faces competition from other food delivery apps, it has recently expanded its reach through a monthly subscription program where diners can order unlimited food from partner restaurants. Grubhub also partnered with Yandex, which uses robots to deliver food.
How Does Grubhub Work?
Grubhub provides its services to many restaurants and users, and it’s a very straightforward application to use. You can easily place an order from any restaurant or diner listed without feeling overburdened.
The Grubhub app homepage displays a list of nearby active restaurants in your area to choose from. Each restaurant displays a featured image of its food, a star rating based on customer reviews, how far the establishment is from your house, and the approximate time of delivery. When you’ve selected a restaurant, you can view the entire menu and then choose your items.
Once you proceed to checkout for your order, you will be prompted to add payment information, which will be saved for the next time you use the app. You can pay for Grubhub items with Paypal, a credit card, or cash.
Once the order is placed, the restaurant receives the order and the user is automatically notified of the status. The restaurant prepares the food and packs it for the delivery driver. The delivery person receives the pickup request and makes his way to the restaurant. Grubhub delivery drivers pick up food from restaurants and deliver it to customers’ doorsteps.
How Much Can You Actually Make on Grubhub?
According to Glassdoor.com, Grubhub delivery drivers earn an average salary of $55,481. However, this depends on how much you choose to work. The salary range on Glassdoor is based on over 1,500 Grubhub employee salaries and is between $19,894 and $89,680.
The driver’s total pay in the Grubhub pay model is a combination of distance traveled per order, time spent driving, customer tips, and special offers. You can also earn more money from Grubhub by taking advantage of missions, which are sets of deliveries to be finished in a certain period of time.
The Pros and Cons of Working on Grubhub
Just like food delivery services such as Uber Eats or Doordash, there are pros and cons of working on Grubhub. According to Glassdoor Grubhub reviews, 68 percent of its gig workers would recommend the company to a friend, and over 50 percent approve of the CEO. Use the information we compiled below to find out if Grubhub is the best bet for you.
Pros of Working on Grubhub
- Flexible schedule. On Grubhub, you can work any time of day, with as many or as few hours per week as you want. This kind of flexibility works perfectly to earn money on the side while you study, attend an online coding bootcamp, or work another job. Simply make your scheduled blocks at whatever times of day work for you.
- Decent pay. Grubhub drivers earn an average hourly wage of $18. Therefore the more you work, the better your pay. The company doesn’t take a percentage of tips, so you can pocket 100 percent of what you get. The company also provides missions and bonuses that help delivery drivers earn more from the orders.
- Be your own boss. As a Grubhub driver, you will not have to report to any supervisor. The position is entirely independent, and you will only answer to yourself as you complete your orders. It is important to ensure you adhere to the rules and guidelines set in place by Grubhub.
- Privacy. Another advantage of a Grubhub driver position is you do not have to interact with any client. You will deliver orders from your own vehicle privately. In comparison to Uber where you might politely converse with the clients, the only interaction you will face with Grubhub is when delivering the food to the client.
- Exposure to restaurants. The best way to find out about new restaurants in your city is by becoming a Grubhub driver. This job position will keep you in the loop of all new and established restaurants, so you’ll know the best places to take your date.
Cons of Working on Grubhub
- Bad clients. Just like other on-demand food delivery services, Grubhub also attracts scammers. On occasion, you will find clients who indicate on the application that they will tip the delivery driver. However, upon delivery, the customer fails to include the tip in the payment. This means you will only receive the delivery fee.
- Late requests. Sometimes orders will be transferred to you to complete when another driver canceled or failed to deliver on time. This can result in the order being canceled entirely by the client, making you take on the responsibility. This will be a waste of time and mileage. If it’s not canceled, you will meet a disgruntled client at the end of the line.
- Competitive schedules. If you are not a seasoned driver, you will not get the upper hand in selecting your schedule. When you’re just starting out you will have to take on all the available requests and make timely deliveries. A subsequent number of timely deliveries will help you rise the ranks and land your preferred schedule.
- No insurance. Since you are an independent contractor and not a full-time employee, you will cover most of your expenses. Your list of expenses includes auto insurance, maintenance, and repair. You will also have to figure out your own tax payments for your income taxes. Therefore, you should also factor in these extra costs in your income.
- Intense penalties. Grubhub is keen on ensuring that it maintains reliable and accountable delivery services. It issues penalties for drivers who miss, reject, or drop orders. If you miss your shift or fail to accept an order, you will fall drastically in your ratings.
How to Become a Grubhub Delivery Driver
Becoming a Grubhub delivery driver is very straightforward. However, you can hit some bumps if you rely on unauthorized websites if you want to land the job. To avoid scouring the internet for reliable information, we took the initiative to curate a step-by-step guide to help you land a job as a Grubhub driver.
1. Check Availability
Even though Grubhub is available in over 4,000 US cities, it is not available everywhere. Before signing up on Grubhub, you will need to find out if Grubhub operates in your area. You can find out by entering your address on Grubhub’s official website.
2. Read the Requirements
To become a Grubhub driver, you must meet specific criteria. You should be at least 19 years or older. Grubhub expects all driving applicants to have at least two years of driving experience, a driver’s license, and auto insurance.
Your delivery method can be by bicycle, motorcycle, or car. If you plan on using a bicycle, you need to be 18 years or older and should have a valid state ID if you don’t have a driver’s license. Everyone who delivers with Grubhub needs to have a smartphone.
3. Fill in the Form
Once you have checked the eligibility requirements, you can proceed to fill out the form. The initial form will require your name, address, and phone number. You will also indicate on the form the mode of transport you will use for your deliveries. You can select a car, motorcycle, or bike.
4. Complete the Online Application
Once you submit your initial form, you can proceed to complete the rest of the application. You can now select the area in which you will operate on Grubhub’s official website. You can choose more than one area of operation. In the next section, you will fill in your details concerning your phone, address, and schedule.
5. Create Grubhub Driver Account
To set up your account, you will need to submit an image of your state ID and select your delivery equipment. You can also enter your current bank account details for direct deposit. You should also verify your vehicle and complete the Grubhub partnership agreement and W-9 form. You will need to authorize a background check at this point.
6. Download the Grubhub Driver’s Application
Before you download the driver app, you must first attend the information sessions given to help you learn how to make deliveries. At this point, you can ask questions regarding your area of operation and seek clarity on guidelines. You will also have access to the best practices to help you earn significantly more on the app.
Once you are familiar with the company delivery policies, you will receive a link via email to download the Grubhub driver app. You can also choose to download the application directly through your smartphone’s app store.
How to Make More Money on Grubhub
There are a few factors that can help you make more money on Grubhub. These essential tips are proven by existing and retired Grubhub drivers. If you are new to the application or you are struggling to make decent money from a part-time job, you should read this section. You will learn how you can make extra money on the food delivery app and how to reduce costs.
Expand Your Area
If you live in a small town or rural area, you should consider expanding your area of operation. Most remote areas have very few Grubhub deliveries or far apart delivery addresses. As a Grubhub driver, you may find yourself having to drive long distances to deliver orders. Increasing your area of operation will increase your chances of earning a higher income.
Move to a High-Demand Area
Location-based job opportunities can be a tough nut to crack. Most of these job opportunities will require you to move to a high-demand area to get more job opportunities. Do some research and select markets that have a high demand for food delivery services. A highly populated area will lead to an increase in orders and consequently higher pay.
Take Advantage of Bonuses
If increasing your base of operations or relocating is not an option, you should consider taking advantage of bonuses. Often, Grubhub drivers looking to earn a bonus are subject to certain requirements. Grubhub offers bonuses to drivers who complete a certain number of orders during a scheduled block.
Before you accept or reject any order, you should check the amount of money you could earn by making the delivery. You can also check the location of the delivery. Use this information to guide you on whether the delivery is worth it. If the order distance is too far, you should consider rejecting the order. You can accept multiple orders at once to increase your pay.
Improve Your Customer Service Skills
It may seem like a small aspect, but customers tend to tip more when the driver is more professional with good interpersonal skills. Your ability to earn more in Grubhub depends on how you relate to customers on the application. Being friendly and approachable often leads to a higher rating and more tips.
Is Working on Grubhub Worth It?
Yes, working on Grubhub is worth it. If you want to earn extra cash on the side, you should consider becoming a Grubhub driver. The position features flexible hours and decent pay. Therefore, if you are in school or working a full-time job, you can easily manage to work on Grubhub.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
In addition, Grubhub does not have unattainable work requirements. Whether you just completed high school or graduated from college 30 years ago, you stand a chance to land a job as an independent contractor. The company offers excellent entry-level positions for professionals to earn a living while focusing on other projects.
Making Money on Grubhub FAQ
Grubhub drivers can use the Instant Cash feature to withdraw up to $500 of their earnings per day. If you are a client of Chase Bank, you will pay no additional withdrawal fees. If you belong to another bank, you will only pay a 50-cent fee per withdrawal. You can also choose to have money automatically deposited into your bank account on Thursdays.
Yes, Grubhub delivery drivers earn bonuses and customer tips. Grubhub drivers are eligible for receiving a special bonus, plus they get paid a delivery fee and keep 100 percent of tips from each order. As a delivery driver, you can check the tip information available on the order before you select the task.
If you keep up your attendance rate, you can work your way up to higher driver levels. Drivers on higher levels have better access to things like catering gigs, which could bring higher tips.
The amount of time one takes to become a Grubhub driver varies. To ensure existing drivers on the application get an opportunity to earn well, Grubhub often pauses recruitment. Therefore, if you have submitted your application to the website, you will be added to the waitlist.
The company will access this waitlist if there is a need for new delivery drivers in the area. You can easily check the status of your application from the application portal.
Yes, you can make good money with Grubhub. On average, Grubhub drivers receive an hourly rate of $18. However, the amount is not set in stone, and you can make more money by improving your order acceptance rate. You can easily augment your hourly earnings with tips, bonuses, and scheduling during peak times.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.