Looking to boost your career as a data scientist? Learning Alteryx will certainly do the trick. Alteryx is a self-service, easy-to-learn data analytics tool, and along with Tableau, Alteryx is the industry standard and future of data tools.
If you’re looking to sharpen your data analyst skills, getting Alteryx training might be the best next step for your career. Keep reading to find out what all the hype is about, what it is, and how you can use it in your career.
What Is Alteryx?
Based in Irvine, California, Alteryx is an American computer software company. The software developed at Alteryx is designed with the goal of making advanced data analytics available to all data workers.
Alteryx is a data analytics tool that enables users to process any amount of data by using and building workflows. A time-consuming task in Microsoft Excel will be a breeze in Alteryx. There are three different components of Alteryx, including Gallery, Designer, and Server. These components blend data from external sources and create comprehensive reports.
Furthermore, Alteryx provides advanced statistical capabilities, including spatial analytics tools and predictive data. Alteryx also analyzes data. By running advanced analytics, including forecasting, Alteryx can give you insights into your data.
What Is Alteryx Used For?
Alteryx is used globally in 4,831 companies, according to Enlyft. Alteryx is mostly used by companies in the computer software industry. The self-service platform is used for various tasks, including:
- Business intelligence. Alteryx can combine analytics, data science, and business processes all in one platform.
- Decision making. Alteryx evaluates data from many different sources, enabling analysts to use data to make educated and informed decisions.
- Improved efficiency. There are many ways that Alteryx assists you or your company in becoming more efficient. There is a level of customization the tool offers, including screen and personal views. These personalizations will save time and money. Additionally, it is user-friendly and can run both on-premises and on the cloud.
Types of Alteryx
Alteryx has a variety of products that are used for data science and data analysis. Explore a few of those products below.
Scaling, sharing, and automating analytic processing are all possibilities with the Alteryx server.
Manage automatic workflows and control publishing, cataloging, and sharing of assets and workflows with the Alteryx Analytics Hub. On-premise, in the cloud, and as a hybrid solution are all possibilities for deployment.
Access multiple data sources by automating each step of analytics in Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx Connect assists organizations in collaborating across data and analytic assets.
This product quickens model deployment by saving time, forgoing re-coding models into other languages, and eliminating multi-step processes.
The Alteryx Intelligence Suite tallows you to build, validate, deploy, and optimize models. You can also leverage data prep and profiling.
You can build outcomes with data from trusted market providers through Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is designed to be relatively easy to learn and user-friendly. If you already work with data, learning Alteryx should be no problem for you. Even if you are starting from scratch, there are plenty of beginner resources available, including books, classes, and online resources.
How Long Does It Take to Learn Alteryx?
If you work with data regularly or are familiar with it, you can learn Alteryx within a day. Obviously, if you’re new to data, then it will take a little longer. However, there are plenty of learning resources available for all levels including beginners, intermediate, and advanced Alteryx users. Alteryx is known to be user-friendly, so you don’t have to be intimidated to try it.
How to Learn Alteryx: Step-by-Step
- Download and install. Find resources for downloading and installing Alteryx at the Alteryx help desk.
- Start studying and getting to know Alteryx Designer. This includes the tool pallet, the workflow area, the configuration window, and the result window.
- Build an actual workflow. Once you’ve gotten the hang of the interface, you can build your first workflow by selecting, dragging, and dropping tools, syncing your data sets, compiling and configuring your raw data, and running the program.
- Work with the workflow. Continue playing around with Alteryx through these workflows.
- Join the community. Joining the Alteryx community will allow you to stay up to date with Alteryx. Here you will also be able to get pre-designed workflows and ask for help from the Alteryx community.
- Take a course. One of the best ways to learn how to use Alteryx is by taking a course. Find in-person, online, and even free Alteryx classes below.
The Best Alteryx Courses and Training
Alteryx training and courses are abundant on the internet and beyond. Taking data analytics courses is a great way to get started if you are a beginner or to perfect your skills if you’re an expert. It’s recommended to take at least one Alteryx class when attempting to learn since courses are among the most beneficial resources.
In-Person Alteryx Classes
In-person courses are one of the educational options when attempting to learn Alteryx. Below are some excellent classes to consider if you are looking to learn Alteryx in a traditional classroom setting.
- Provider: General Assembly
- Duration: Varies
- Prerequisites: Basic technical aptitude and orientation to computers, curiosity to learn new tools, background in data analytics with some Tableau and SQL proficiency
- Price: Varies
You can attend this Alteryx and Tableau bootcamp in New York City. During the bootcamp, you will learn how to prep data in Alteryx and publish it in Tableau, among many other lessons.
- Provider: Cprime
- Duration: Dates vary for a total of three days and 24 hours of instruction
- Prerequisites: none
- Price: Starting at $2,750
There is no better way to learn than by immersing yourself in a three-day in-person Alteryx bootcamp. No experience? No worries. This bootcamp is designed for those with little to no experience at all.
The bootcamp will cover, among other topics, data preparation and automation workflows. It will also cover some data basics such as reading, writing, exploring, and cleansing data.
Online Alteryx Courses
Learn Alteryx from the comfort of your own home with an online class. Online classes allow you to learn at your own pace and on your own schedule. One of the best parts is if you get lost, you can always rewind.
- Provider: Udemy
- Duration: 4 hours (lifetime access)
- Prerequisites: PC knowledge and understanding of data analysis
- Price: Varies
The bold claim that this Udemy bootcamp makes is that you can become an Alteryx developer in 24 hours. The online course covers Alteryx workflows, performing functions, and much more.
- Provider: Mindmajix
- Duration: 20 hours
- Prerequisites: Varies
- Price: Varies
Taught by Alteryx professionals, this course covers the key concepts while also providing job assistance. The training prepares you to become an Alteryx pro. Additionally, you will get lifetime support and certification. The training takes twenty hours and is instructor-led, but at your own pace. You can make payments in two installments.
Free Alteryx Courses
Trying to decide if learning Alteryx is something you want to pursue? Try a free class. Since they’re often just as informative and explanatory as paid classes, you might as well take as many free courses as you can before committing to a paid course.
- Provider: Pluralsight
- Duration: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- Prerequisites: None
Pluralsight offers a free ten-day trial to this class. Learn to use Alteryx from data scientist and course designer Michael Barone. You can expect two hours and fifteen minutes of beginner-level Alteryx training.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
- Subject: Kubicle
- Duration: Varies
- Prerequisites: Varies
Kubicle provides this free Alteryx training course, which covers getting started, finding and replacing data, time series analysis, and much more. Explore all of their free offerings and become proficient in no time. Additionally, certain courses come with continuing professional development (CPD) credits.
Alteryx books are always there if you need any additional support resources. There are books available for all levels of Alteryx users.
Learning Alteryx: A Beginner’s Guide to Using Alteryx for Self-Service Analytics and Business Intelligence, Renato Baruti
Everyone, from beginners to those with some experience, will benefit from this book. Learn about developing data-driven reports, speeding up the cleansing process, data preparing, and applying predictive analytics.
A Practitioner’s Guide to Alteryx 11, USEReady
The most recent edition of this book is filled with new functionalities and case studies. The book explores Alteryx 11.
The best way to prove that you have learned or mastered a subject is by getting certified. The same is true for Alteryx. There are certifications available for beginners, intermediate users, and advanced Alteryx learners, so you can take each of them in turn.
The certification program gives you credit for knowledge and technical skills in using Alteryx. You can take these certifications on demand through the Alteryx community. The program offers three different certificates.
- Core Certification. The Alteryx Designer Core is the beginner-level certification. The certification exam contains eighty questions, is two hours long, and is free.
- Advanced Certification. The Alteryx Designer Advanced exam contains forty-four questions, is two hours long, and is also free.
- Expert Certification. The Alteryx Designer Expert exam costs $150 and is three hours long, featuring seven detailed scenarios.
Online Alteryx Resources
In addition to books and online classes, there are plenty of other additional resources available for learning Alteryx on the Internet. The Alteryx website itself is a beneficial tool, along with many other sites. Explore a few of these below.
Alteryx itself is filled with plenty of resources for new and old users.
Perhaps one of the most beneficial resources is joining the Alteryx community. The Alteryx community is an extremely helpful resource for both beginners and professionals. Look, listen, and read with lessons, podcasts, and user groups, just to name a few of the available resources. You can also schedule one-on-one sessions with an Alteryx expert.
Sift offers an Alteryx resource library filled with analyst reports, case studies, white papers, webinars, and so much more.
Should You Study Alteryx?
If you work with data or want to work with data, you should absolutely learn Alteryx. Not only is Alteryx user-friendly, but it makes your work easier and more efficient than without the program. Thousands of companies use Alteryx every day, so learning it will definitely be a beneficial skill to add to your resume.
Best of all, the tool is free. So, there really is no excuse not to give it a try.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.