Remote jobs have been around for some years now. They challenge the traditional working style of the corporate world with unique perks that make you rethink your office work. With the benefits of working remotely highlighted by Indeed, you can be sure to receive optimum satisfaction from the best jobs for working remotely.
If you think a remote job works best for you and you want to do it for good, check out our list of the highest-paying jobs for working remotely. We have also included popular companies that provide them and tips to set you up for success in this type of work.
What Is Working Remotely?
Working remotely is a style of work that does not need your physical presence in a particular place to do a job. It involves an employee doing tasks outside the traditional work environment. Remote jobs provide better flexibility for workers’ personal and professional lives to coexist. Employees can structure their day as they please while being productive and efficient.
What Jobs Are Available for Working Remotely?
A lot of jobs can be remote as long as they don’t need to be manually executed on-site. For example, freelancers in the design or tech industry can work from home because they only need a laptop, software, and Internet access to do their jobs.
Those in sales jobs and customer support roles can now offer goods and services online. Even healthcare workers can also offer medical consultation services to patients online. Interestingly, remote job opportunities also exist for product, operations, and social media managers. You can also be a customer service representative for almost any company and still work remotely.
In all instances, the Internet catalyzes work operations. It creates pathways to job opportunities for professionals looking to work remotely.
Companies That Hire People Working Remotely
- Amazon. As one of the largest ecommerce stores, Amazon sells books, electronics, music, clothes, and other consumer-based products. Remote positions include software development managers, cloud security architects, and technical recruiters.
- Anthem, Inc. This nonprofit healthcare company is the largest in the country. It delivers products and services to promote healthy living and general wellness. The available remote positions at the time of writing include customer care representative, network contract coordinator, and care coordinator.
- Oracle. This computer technology company sells software and hardware products. They also offer database management and cloud-based services. The jobs available include senior manager, learning and development specialist, and database administrator.
- Philips. This multinational corporation specializes in providing healthcare services using advanced technology. Various openings include remote service engineer, radiologist, and program manager.
- Slack. Slack is a technology company that provides a workplace messaging tool allowing professionals and organizations to communicate effectively. Available positions include creative operations manager, account executive, and senior value consultant.
10 Highest-Paying Jobs for Working Remotely
|Job Title||Average Salary||Top 10% Salary|
|Translator and Interpreter||$62,699||$126,000|
To give you a better view, we provided snapshots of the responsibilities of the highest-paying jobs for remote working. The basic skills needed and their availability across many industries are also included.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Software engineers develop computer programs and applications. They ideate, make prototypes, and develop programs. They are also involved in maintenance and testing. Software engineers can facilitate the integration of technology into business operations remotely. Hence, technical skills like programming are a prerequisite for this job.
Consultants provide professional advice for enhancing business operations, performance, structure, and revenue. Their expertise in analyzing structures and presenting better business models cuts across many sectors. Most organizations require at least a bachelor’s degree for this position.
Also known as digital interface designers, UI/UX designers create user-friendly and visually appealing interfaces for mobile and web applications. They use technical skills like prototyping, information architecture, and application development to improve customer experience and increase engagement.
Project managers plan strategies, coordinate operations, prepare budgets, and maintain constant communication with stakeholders. They ensure that the team follows schedules and provides deliverables within the agreed time. Project managers can work remotely depending on the project. The base qualification for this job is usually a bachelor’s degree.
Registered nurses administer care and support to patients. They are responsible for educating patients on various health issues and conditions. Working offsite still allows them to perform most of their tasks efficiently. While they may not provide hands-on help, they can still do follow-ups and give medical support to patients and answer any questions they have.
Writers are excellent communicators who create content for different types of media. They usually write publications, books, movies, and blogs. Their job demands creativity, communication, research, and analytical thinking. Also, various freelance writing websites and communities exist, providing work opportunities for remote writers. Hence, many freelance writers now work from home while balancing other jobs and activities.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Digital marketers plan marketing strategies to increase awareness and ultimately generate revenue for brands. They organize promotional campaigns via websites, online billboards, and social media platforms. Remote workers in this space must have good data analysis, content creation, social media, and communication skills.
Graphic designers convey information using visual elements. They are creative and use their skills in many industries. Most significantly, they are crucial in marketing and advertising. They use tools like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Canva. The remote work opportunity for professionals in the graphic design industry is large, showing growth potential.
Translator and Interpreter
These professionals use their language skills to convey information to a specific demographic. They change the base language of information and provide it in oral, written, or sign language. As a prerequisite, you should be proficient in at least two languages. While there are on-site jobs for translators and interpreters, most work remotely. So, if you are considering a part-time remote job, this might be a good fit for you as well.
Tips for Finding Success While Working Remotely
Remote employees enjoy the convenience that comes with working offsite. However, beyond the pros of working from home, the main concern is getting the job done. Distractions, lack of time management, and poor communication impede a successful remote career. The tips below will help you find success while working remotely.
- Communicate clearly and effectively. Communication is key to succeeding as a remote worker. Since there will be little or no personal interaction, you should ensure that you communicate clearly and adequately with employers and coworkers. Make sure you convey your message effectively to aid understanding by calls, texts, or emails.
- Manage your time properly. Time management is also crucial for every remote worker. You have to create a daily schedule that will let you work for a substantial amount of hours and still have time to attend to other demands. Set office hours and be disciplined to follow them.
- Create working space. It is good practice to create an office area devoid of distractions in your home. Pick a room or scan your house for good spots that will enable you to work efficiently. One of the benefits of having a specific office space is you can always arrange it to suit your style and reflect your personality.
- Dress for the job. Working from home still warrants that you dress for work. While you might not wear official attires like suits, you should ensure you are well dressed to attend meetings. In addition, when you prepare for work like you are commuting to an office space, it alerts your brain to engage in work for the day.
- Take breaks. While working from home, ensure to take breaks intermittently. Fortunately, you don’t have to finish a report before leaving the office or wait until lunchtime to grab a bite. Breaks help increase your productivity and recharge your batteries.
Jobs for Working Remotely Outlook
Many companies worldwide have recently turned their attention to working remotely. Major tech employers like Facebook and Twitter have already adopted this work model. They are now considering a permanent transition to become fully remote. CNBC even published a Workforce Wire survey to see which types of remote jobs have the most satisfied employees.
A CNN Business article states that several companies are considering permanently adopting either a hybrid or fully remote work model after 2020. Various remote jobs await in information technology, healthcare, finance, education, insurance, and manufacturing. These movements only suggest that remote jobs are here to stay.
It seems more people are taking advantage of the amount of jobs with remote opportunities. If you are a part-time worker, retiree, or career changer, a remote job might be what you need to enjoy a rewarding career.
Best Jobs for Working Remotely FAQ
No. On average, remote workers receive more compensation and benefits than employees who commute to work. Regardless of their operation style and job nature, they are productive and still earn as much or even more than regular office workers.
Employees enjoy a more even work-life balance, more freedom, and better work flexibility. On the other hand, organizations can save and reduce expenses on purchasing and maintaining office spaces.
Not entirely. While it is more likely that you will work from home, remote work simply refers to working from anywhere except the office. So you could be in the park, in the mall, or on the train and still be working.
Most remote employees have difficulty communicating with coworkers and employers, especially when they are in different time zones. Also, there is a tendency to feel detached and isolated. In addition, proper time management is a great challenge for people working remotely.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.