From online shopping to the mobile apps on your phone, you probably interact with the work of front end developers on a daily basis. Front end development is one of the most popular tech educational tracks and jobs in the industry. Demand for front end developers is higher than ever, and the numbers prove it! Front end web development job growth is expected to increase by 27% from 2014 to 2024. Front end development is also a highly versatile job with a wide variety of skills. As a front end developer you could potentially work for a major company such as Google or Amazon, start your own company, or even take your world changing concept and turn it into a reality. As a front end developer, you’ll have an amazing skill set that will open up a wealth of possibilities. So, if you’re ready to start interviewing for your dream job, you might be wondering where to start. Any successful interviewee will tell you that the number one key to their success is being prepared. Throughout this article, you’ll learn the key steps to preparing for and acing your front end web development interview!
What Does a Front End Web Developer Do?
Before we dive into the world of interview preparedness, let’s first take a step back and review what a front end developer actually does. As referenced above, front end developers are responsible for the things that we actually see on the internet. These could include web pages, online games, and more. Front end developers work on the “client side” of technology, meaning they focus on the things that consumers will actually see. Backend developers are the ones who focus on the “server side” or the side of technology that users don’t see. Those new to front end web development will usually start off as a junior front end developer and then eventually move up to a senior front end developer.
Front End Web Developer Skills
Most Common Front End Web Developer Interview Questions
Now that we know what a front end web developer does, let’s get down to the moment you’ve all been waiting for! These are some of the most asked front end web developer interview questions.
- What tags would you use to make text bold or italic using HTML and when would these tags be types of texts be used on a webpage?
- When would you use CSS specificity?
- What steps can you take to make your website user friendly and easily accessible to everyone?
- Do you regularly keep up with the latest developments in technology and coding?
- Have you worked on any front end development projects before? Explain them.
- Detail some of the new features of HTML5.
Front end development tips to help you succeed
These are just ten of the many potential questions that you may face during a front end web developer interview! Here are some additional tips to help you ace your interview!
1. It’s always a good idea to research your desired company before interviewing with them. You may gain some insight as to what the specific position entails. You’ll also get a leg up on the company culture and personality-based side of the interview as you can see what type of worker they may be looking for.
2. You’ll most likely be doing some kind of technological skills-based evaluation. So, it’s a great idea to brush up on your concepts in the weeks leading up to your interview. Using some of the questions above, you can dive deeper into any topics that may seem confusing.
3. This one may seem a little self-explanatory however, remembering to relax and be as social as possible is always important. In the coming days before your interview, it’s easy to become tense as you continue to cram as much information as possible. Taking a breath and absorbing the information before your interview is key to success. You want to be memorable so it’s important to just be yourself and have as much confidence as possible!
How to get started
Are you ready to ace your own front end web development interview? If you’re still in the process of beginning your coding journey, coding bootcamps can be a great way to learn! Coding bootcamps provide sound immersive environments that are completely career focused! Career Karma can help you find the best bootcamp to suit your individual needs!