The University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom is one of the country’s newer universities. The University of Birmingham collaborated with Trilogy Education Services to create the United Kingdom’s first university coding bootcamp. The University of Birmingham’s coding bootcamp is well-designed and thorough.
Coding bootcamps are the education of the future, and they’re a proven way to break into the tech industry in a short period. The comprehensive University of Birmingham coding bootcamp prepares students to become web developers and teaches them a variety of universally useful coding languages.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
College students in STEM or design programs can gain an enormous amount of valuable knowledge from this school and learn essential coding skills. This article will explain everything you need to know about Birmingham University’s new coding bootcamp.
University of Birmingham Bootcamp Courses
|Description||The University of Birmingham offers four bootcamp programs. These programs are UX/UI Boot Camp, Cyber Security Boot Camp, Coding Boot Camp, and Data Analytics Boot Camp.|
Each bootcamp is designed to provide students with the foundational skills they need to succeed in the specific career path of their choosing. Each bootcamp course utilizes practical hands-on examples curated by industry professionals.
|Cost||£7,200, including VAT|
|Location||All bootcamp programs are offered online. Only the Coding Boot Camp has an on-campus option, which is held in Edgbaston, UK.|
|Start Dates||UX/UI Boot Camp Online: 10/31/2022|
Data Analytics Boot Camp: 10/17/2022
Cyber Security Boot Camp Live Online: 11/14/2022
Coding Boot Camp (On Campus): 12/05/2022
Coding Boot Camp Online: 10/31/2022
|Class Time||Hours vary, but programs are generally held in the evening|
|Program Duration||24 weeks|
|Part-Time Courses||UX/UI Boot Camp, Cyber Security Boot Camp, Coding Boot Camp, and Data Analytics Boot Camp|
Top University of Birmingham Bootcamp Programs
Learn coding, data analytics, cyber security, and UX/UI at the University of Birmingham Boot Camps. Students will learn highly sought-after skills through rigorous and fast-paced programs. An experienced instructor will lead hands-on lessons in a collaborative classroom setting. With weekend and evening classes available, these 24-week part-time courses are designed to fit any schedule.
University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp
The University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp was created in response to the growing demand for web development skills across industries. Throughout this 24-week course, you will have the opportunity to work on full stack web development in a virtual classroom environment, with extensive support.
What you will learn at University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp:
- Front End and Back End Technologies. Learn the foundational skills needed to develop immersive and responsive websites. Colors, styles, site behaviors, server-side applications, and optimizations will be covered throughout the University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp.
- Server Side Development. Aspiring developers will learn different mechanisms to employ scripts on websites and web servers to produce customized responses. Students will learn how to develop static websites and run client-side web browsers.
- Browser-Based Technologies. Use hands-on examples to create desktop-style back end functionality through a web browser and a website’s front end. Attain comprehensive skills to build web-based applications that are user-friendly.
University of Birmingham Data Analytics Boot Camp
At the University of Birmingham Data Analytics Boot Camp, you will learn how to collect, analyze and visualize big data. A market-driven curriculum teaches intermediate Excel, SQL, Tableau, Python, and more. You will build a strong portfolio using real datasets from finance, government, and healthcare.
What you will learn at University of Birmingham Data Analytics Boot Camp:
- Front End Web Visualization. Learn how you can use data visualization to present data through pictures, graphs, and other visual means. Use visualization to assist individuals in comprehending complex concepts. Practice using HTML, Bootstrap, and Dashboarding to further develop this skillset.
- Python Programming. Gain a deep understanding of Python as a high-level, object oriented, interpreted programming language with dynamic semantics. Utilize Python 3, NumPY, and Pandas to gain hands-on experience with real-world datasets.
- Intermediate Excel. Dive deeper into Excel and learn how to create complex pivot tables and use VBA scripting for a more diverse and in depth result.
University of Birmingham Cyber Security Boot Camp
Over the course of 24 intensive weeks, the University of Birmingham Applied Cyber Security Boot Camp takes a multidisciplinary approach to gain proficiency in cyber security. Joining the bootcamp can help students achieve their dream of becoming cyber security professionals. Collaborating with peers, students gain real-world experience through hands-on applications.
What you will learn at University of Birmingham Cyber Security Boot Camp:
- Networking. Understand the difference between LAN, WLAN, WAN, MAN, PAN, SAN, CAN, and VPN networks. Learn how to run packet analysis and use Wireshark for best results.
- Ethical Hacking. Gain insight into the functionality of ethical hacking and its importance in the technology sector. Understand its foundations and processes through the use of Kali Linux and Hashcat.
- Cyber Security. Study the core concepts needed to identify security risks and protect yourself and your business from malware, viruses, and data breaches. Learn about vulnerability assessments, cloud security, and cryptography.
University of Birmingham UX/UI Boot Camp
This comprehensive 24-week UX/UI bootcamp by the University of Birmingham teaches students how to create responsive web designs, collect and analyze user-centric data, and study consumer trends. This bootcamp provides students with real-world examples and hands-on projects to further develop their budding UX/UI skills.
What you will learn at University of Birmingham UX/UI Boot Camp:
- User-Centric Design. Learn the iterative process of user-centric design. Comprehend a designer’s focus on a client’s needs in each phase of the web development process. Use insight synthesis and persona creation to create responsive and captivating websites.
- Visual Prototyping and Wireframing. Compare and contrast visual prototyping and wireframing to understand how they overlap and how they differ. Acquire a deep understanding of Adobe XD, Google Slides, decision mapping, and more.
- User Interface Development. Learn how to streamline a user’s interaction with a website or web application so that the user can accomplish their goals more effectively.
University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp Review
Currently, there are no reviews on Career Karma for the University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp. However, there are many great testimonials on the University of Birmingham Boot Camp website.
One graduate said, “The program was intensive and tested my doggedness, but I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. I wanted to change my career, and the course has given me the knowledge base and the necessary skills to embark on a career in web development. The TAs, instructors, and the career director were committed to helping me throughout the bootcamp. I felt well supported by everyone in the organization who went above and beyond in terms of guiding me and helping me achieve my goal.”
Overall, reviews for University of Birmingham Boot Camp programs are very positive. It is highly recommended by its graduates.
University of Birmingham Boot Camp Cost
Coding bootcamps, like any worthwhile career and technical education program, come with a tuition cost. Prices vary from country to country and even regionally, but they tend to fall within a limited range.
Bootcamp programs at the University of Birmingham cost £7,200. Most coding bootcamps cost between £5,000 and £12,000, but the average for an immersive course like this is about £8,500. As you can infer from these numbers, University of Birmingham Boot Camp programs are well priced.
Luckily, there are plenty of ways to reduce the financial burden of coding bootcamp, including loans and scholarship programs. Some bootcamps even offer a discount when the tuition is paid in full. Visit the University of Birmingham’s coding bootcamp website and request information to learn more about scholarships, tuition, and more.
University of Birmingham Boot Camp Payment Options
The University of Birmingham has a variety of payment options available to its students. Each payment option is designed to assist students with different financial needs. A student can select their tuition payment option after being accepted to the bootcamp program.
Students who have the funds readily available can pay for the entire cost of tuition upfront. This type of payment entails a discount. The student receives a £700 discount after an initial £500 deposit.
Students can opt to partake in an interest-free installment plan through the University of Birmingham. Students will pay a down payment on the program before beginning classes. The remaining balance of the tuition will be split into equal monthly installments. These installments are interest-free, so they are more favorable than a student loan.
A plethora of technology companies offer private scholarships for prospective coding bootcamp students. Additionally, the University of Birmingham offers a “Women in Tech” scholarship. This scholarship provides a £4,000 discount on the overall tuition cost to qualifying applicants.
There are many private student loans available for students interested in obtaining an education through a coding bootcamp. Loans are offered through private financial institutions and come with different lending terms, depending on the applicant’s financial situation and credit history.
University of Birmingham Boot Camp Admissions Process
The admissions process for University of Birmingham Boot Camps is strict. The university does not admit every applicant. Prospective students must pass an interview and an assessment before beginning a program. Below is an outline of the steps needed to enroll in a University of Birmingham bootcamp.
- Apply. The first step in the admissions process for University of Birmingham Boot Camps is to apply to the school. This can be done through the university’s online portal. Students must provide basic identifying information, financial information, and a statement outlining why they want to enter the bootcamp program.
- Submit Your GCSE Grade. Prospective students must submit their GCSE grades to the University of Birmingham during the application process. The minimum grade requirement to get accepted is 4 (or C in the old system) in Maths.
- Admissions Interview. After an admissions team member reviews a prospective student’s application, they will schedule an admissions interview. This screening process provides the admissions team with a deep understanding of a student’s motivations and goals for the program.
- Aptitude Assessment. All applicants must take an aptitude assessment to ensure that they have the correct skill level to be admitted to the bootcamp. Although prior coding knowledge is not explicitly required, the University of Birmingham recommends students have an understanding of the subject they are enrolling in.
- Pay the Deposit. Once students pass the interview and aptitude assessment, the university will inform them whether or not they are accepted into the program. If a student is accepted, they must pay the £500 deposit before beginning the program.
Coding Bootcamp Instructors
Generally, the University of Birmingham bootcamp instructors are industry and coding professionals with years of experience in their field. Trilogy Education Services has a history of hiring excellent and helpful instructors, all of which are well-versed in the coding languages they teach.
Former Trilogy students often rave about their instructors and TAs, along with the enormously helpful tutors available to students whenever they need them. Trilogy-affiliated coding bootcamp instructors are patient and knowledgeable, and graduates of the programs often cite them as primary factors in their success.
Of course, programming students still need to prepare for coding bootcamp before arriving and know exactly what coding bootcamp is. Still, Trilogy programs are an excellent place for beginners, as the instructors are always willing to help students overcome coding challenges.
The University of Birmingham’s bootcamp schedule consists of part-time classes for each of its programs. Each twenty-four-week program runs in six modules, each covering the basic and advanced aspects of its sector of study.
Here’s the benefit of a part-time program: full-time students and workers can usually find a way to fit it into their schedule. This is because classes are held during the evening hours and do not start any earlier than 6:30 pm, making it ideal for students who work during the day.
Over six months, these bootcamps can transform a part-time student into a fully capable cyber security expert, full stack developer, or even a data scientist. For more details, sign up for information from the University of Birmingham’s coding bootcamp web page.
University of Birmingham Boot Camp Curriculum
The University of Birmingham’s bootcamp curriculum is comprehensive, and students get a full education in their respective fields in a matter of months. Students start with the basics and slowly work their way up to acquire complex skills used by experts in their sector.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
The University of Birmingham’s bootcamp curriculum is intense, but this is necessary to train a tech professional in such a short time. Students attest that it’s quite heavy but manageable with the right instructors and a bit of grit. With sufficient time and the right attitude, anybody can manage the workload at a part-time Trilogy bootcamp like this one.
Reddit is a fantastic platform for expressing opinions, and many users have questions about coding bootcamps. It’s difficult to blame them. Coding bootcamp is an increasingly popular route into a growing industry, and many students report almost unbelievable success stories after attending a program.
Students have positive things to say about University of Birmingham Boot Camps. Users report that the instructors are of the highest caliber and that tutors are helpful and easy to contact when assistance is required. Additionally, graduates state that the course is comprehensive and useful when trying to upskill or change career paths to break into the tech industry.
University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp Job Placement
The University of Birmingham has not released its job placement information for students who successfully graduate from its bootcamp programs. That said, there are plenty of statistics available on bootcamp job placements around the world.
Generally, bootcamps report between 70 percent and 90 percent of their graduates land jobs within a year of attending the program. That’s a remarkably high job placement rate, and it’s worth advertising. It makes you wonder why colleges never post the same statistics. Regardless, it’s generally accepted that bootcamps are a great way to break into a tech job without any additional formal education.
The University of Birmingham’s bootcamps offers excellent perks to students, as it focuses on portfolio-building throughout the program. Students graduate with a full portfolio, along with a coding certificate from the university.
Also, this Trilogy program offers one-on-one career services to each student to help them get ready to apply for jobs. It’s safe to assume that job placement rates for this program will be excellent.
Is the University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp Worth It?
The University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp is worth it if you are an individual looking to change career paths. It is an affordable alternative to a traditional four-year university degree program. The bootcamps offered by this educational institution are highly rated and curated by industry professionals. Many students have job placement success after completing the program.
University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp FAQ
The University of Birmingham Coding Boot Camp costs £7,200, including VAT. There are scholarships available to reduce the cost of tuition for qualifying individuals. A discount is provided and removes £700 from the total cost of tuition when paying upfront.
Are the University of Birmingham bootcamps online?
Currently, all University of Birmingham Boot Camp courses are held online. However, the Coding Boot Camp can also be attended on campus.
Can you get credits from the University of Birmingham bootcamps?
Students who attend a University of Birmingham bootcamp do not receive academic credits. However, they are awarded a certificate of completion if they finish the program.
Are University of Birmingham Boot Camps part of Trilogy Education Services?
The University of Birmingham bootcamps are part of Trilogy Education Services. Trilogy instructors curate the courses with the approval of the University of Birmingham.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.