As you enter the later stages of your working career, you might be searching for the best jobs for people over 50. Whether you’ve been in the workforce continuously throughout your career or have taken a career break and are looking to get back into the labor market, there is a wide range of jobs available for senior workers.
This guide covers the best jobs for people over 50, including job opportunities, their requirements, and companies that hire senior workers. We also break down the highest-paying jobs for people over 50 and tips for building professional careers.
What Does Over 50 Mean?
This demographic includes people seeking to build successful careers in their 50’s or older. Most people in this category are considered for senior-level job titles as they typically have vast work experience and are familiar with different companies’ practices.
As a result, they can adapt to changes in the industry and help organizations accomplish their goals through the techniques they’ve learned over a long period. The over 50’s demographic bring value to companies through their decades of professional and life experience.
What Jobs Are Available to People Over 50?
There are a wide range of career options for people over 50 in the job market. Some common roles include sales manager, sales director, and business professionals. Even some of the best gaming jobs may be an option. However, even if you do not have a college degree or advanced degree, the market offers you options such as a bus driver and real estate agent.
For some jobs you will need to fulfill the minimum requirements to reenter or transition to the new opportunity. For instance, if you want to become an event planner, you will need great organizational skills and communication skills. However, other career options with minimum requirements include life coach, personal trainer, and commercial driver.
Companies That Hire People Over 50
- KPMG. KPMG is a global company providing business, tax, and audit services to clients in the US and worldwide. The company boasts an inclusive employment policy and they hire employees regardless of their age. If you have vast experience in the accounting industry, you will have an edge over younger candidates.
- Bucknell University. This beautiful campus provides you with an opportunity to nurture young adults. It also supports personal development to enhance your career’s success. Whether you want to be a community director, professor of Italian studies, or project engineer, this is the ideal place for you.
- Rover. This company solves problems for different global businesses, including Uber and AirBnB. Moreover, the company provides structure, support, and order that allows you to propel your career to greater heights. Some of the career options you may apply for in this company include country launch manager, procurement manager, and senior business analyst.
- Cabell Huntington Hospital. If you are passionate about a health-related career with great pay and benefits, Cabell Huntington Hospital offers great opportunities. You can be a medical assistant, clinical coordinator, pharmacy tech, or physician assistant. The hospital also has supportive colleagues and promotional opportunities you can leverage to advance your career.
- United Way. United Way has numerous career opportunities for people over 50, including content manager, financial coach, and chief development officer. As a health-oriented organization, it has a wide variety of career options, even for people without undergraduate degrees or advanced degrees in the health industry.
10 Highest-Paying Jobs for People Over 50
|Job Title||Average Salary||Top 10% Salary|
|Real Estate Agent||$95,002||$112,000|
A career for people over 50 should be flexible and high-paying as you need to plan for your retirement. It should offer you convenience and comfort to help you achieve exceptional results. With the following highest-paying jobs, you can be sure to find satisfaction, and impact society.
Real Estate Agent
Real estate agents help clients buy, sell, or rent a property. Your primary role will be to create a list for your clients who want to sell or rent their real estate and help potential buyers find the ideal property to rent or buy. Typically, you will be working under real estate brokers as they are licensed to handle property purchases or sales.
This position is suitable for people over 50 as it does not require you to go back to school as long as you have a high school diploma. To become a real estate agent you will need to complete a pre-licensing course accredited by the state you will be working in. The main skills needed to perform well at this job are communication skills and negotiation skills.
Are you passionate about instructing students to help them reach their academic goals? Then, you can become a tutor and work with young people from home, online, or in tutoring centers. This job opportunity not only earns you money but helps you draw satisfaction from impacting the younger generation.
To become a tutor, you must hold at least a high school diploma and be exceptionally knowledgeable about the subject you’re tutoring. Some tutoring positions may require credentials from the American Tutoring Association, National Tutoring Association, or any other organization.
The financial advisor role helps you leverage your knowledge to help others plan for their finances while earning you outstanding wages. This career opportunity is especially suitable for people over 50 as you only need a license to kickstart your career. Financial advisors do not have long working hours, can work flexible hours, and even remotely.
Writers compose content for magazines, TV, websites, advertisements, among other channels. As a writer, you will specialize in specific styles, for instance, blogs and digital content. This profession is quite flexible as you can work on a freelance or contract basis. In addition, you can work at any time and anywhere as long as you deliver the client’s work before the deadline.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the nursing profession is expected to grow by 45 percent from 2020 to 2030. Hence, this female-dominated profession is more viable for women above 50. Some of the requirements you should meet to work in this field include an RN license from hospital-run programs or a local community college and at least two years of experience.
As a retail manager, you will oversee a store that deals with jewelry, clothing, accessories, beauty products, or other tangible products. You will also recruit new staff members and set employee shift schedules. Your employer will expect you to oversee the customer service, the store’s upkeep, and employees’ happiness.
If you’re passionate about nurturing young talent and motivating intermediate or entry-level employees, this is an incredible opportunity. To become a retail manager, you need a high school diploma or equivalent. If you have retail and management experience, it will help you stand out from the rest of the candidates.
Bus drivers usually pick up and drop off bus commuters on public transit buses, school buses, or private transportation operations. They also ensure the riders are safe by setting and upholding decorum.
The job’s requirements are minimum, making them suitable for a 50-year-old woman or man. They include a high school diploma or equivalent and a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL). Some of the companies you can apply to include Greyhound, Transdev, and First Student.
A sales manager leads and guides the sales team in an organization. They hire, recruit, and train new employees. Other responsibilities include setting sales goals, analyzing data, and creating training programs for the company’s sales representatives.
To become a sales manager, you will need a bachelor’s degree in business or a related discipline and several years of working experience in sales. You will also need analytical, customer service, and excellent leadership abilities. One of the main benefits of working as a sales manager is the high chance of getting promoted to sales director.
A career in engineering has many opportunities for specialization and growth. This job title comes with numerous benefits, including a flexible schedule, relocation assistance, tuition reimbursement, professional development assistance, and health insurance. If you’ve built your career in engineering, as an over-50-year-old, you have access to senior engineering roles with high salaries.
This is another freelance opportunity that offers outstanding flexibility in time and geographical location. Your primary role as a virtual assistant includes communicating with your employer, organizing their files, replying to emails, making phone calls, travel plans, and creating presentation materials. You will also manage confidential financial information, orders, and expense reports.
Tips for Finding Success for People Over 50
Whether you are reentering the job market or transitioning to a different field, you want to succeed in your profession. However, finding a career option that will help you accomplish your objectives can be challenging due to different factors, including the common misconception about work and age. Below are tips that will help you find success in the career path of your choice.
- Decide What You Want to Pursue. Pursuing a different career at 50 demands that you assess its suitability to your lifestyle. Most people at 50 or above prefer a career with a work-life balance to minimize stress and invest more of their personal time in their hobbies or interests.
So, before you apply for that senior engineer or sales representative job, evaluate whether it will give you the flexibility and freedom you need to enjoy doing what you like. For example, if you like camping or fishing, will the job allow you ample time to travel or visit the lakes for these activities?
- What’s Your Passion? Suppose you’ve been working your whole life as an employee, and now that you’re over 50 you realize you are passionate about business. Is it too late to follow that passion? No, as you can find business loans to help you set up a business and run it to realize success as an entrepreneur.
- Advance Your Education. Education is key if you want to advance to senior-level positions in your career. Hence, you should consider enrolling for an advanced degree program or other certifications. If you are breaking into a new field, you will need to evaluate the job’s requirements and apply for the relevant courses.
- Seek Support. While people over 50 often have vast experience and proficient skills, they need support to navigate through the new career path they choose. So, do not hesitate to ask for assistance from your family and friends when reinventing your career. Some of them may have contacts that will help you network and find the right job.
- Rebrand Yourself. What impression does your LinkedIn or Facebook account give your audience? Regardless of the age group, one of the main projects you should invest in as a jobseeker is rebranding. You should include a technology skill section that showcases your skills and proficiency in different programs and platforms.
Jobs for Over 50 Outlook
There are countless jobs for people over 50 that draw on industry experience, skills, and wisdom. Whether you have a degree or not, there are high-paying jobs available for over 50. If you’re looking to transition to a new job, industry, or career path, it is never too late. All you need to do is evaluate your skill set and get the necessary credentials to pivot in a direction that sparks your interest.
Best Jobs for People Over 50 FAQ
To find a great career opportunity, emphasize your experience, leverage networking sites, be active in the industry, and enhance your job interview skills. In addition, show the recruiting team or hiring manager that you are familiar with modern technology.
Yes. There’s a common misconception that people over 50 should have an established career. While some people will have built a career at this age, others choose to transition or start pursuing a new career path. Starting a career at 50 is doable, and you can use your vast experience and skills to succeed in it. All you need is research, planning, getting support, and taking action.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
According to Indeed, the happiest jobs you can apply for include event planner, ultrasonographer, contractor, sound engineering technician, heavy equipment operator, teaching assistant, and early childhood education teacher. These jobs offer a great sense of meaning, skills utilization, excellent salaries, great work environments, and fulfillment.
The best jobs for people over 50 include massage therapist, retail manager, mail carrier, administrative assistant, and medical record technician. There are jobs for people over 50 to match every experience and skill level.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.