Getting accepted into your dream university program requires an array of educational and extracurricular achievements, not the least of which are your SAT scores. We are here to help you attain a near-perfect score with the best SAT prep books. These resources can help you submit an optimal college application and impress your college board with excellent SAT scores.
Read on to find paid and free SAT books and online resources to help you reach your target score. Our top comprehensive book picks will provide practice tests, study materials, answer explanations, and test-taking tips. Read on to also learn about all the SAT sections and how to get accepted into your choice of bachelor’s degree program.
Should I Take the SAT?
Yes, you should take the SAT if you want to impress your dream university’s college board and get accepted into your preferred program. Although the SAT mandate and score requirements vary by school, a good score can increase your chances of getting into a college or university, regardless of the college acceptance rate.
Several universities removed their SAT requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the College Board SAT report, around 1.5 million students took the SAT in 2021 compared to 2.2 million students in 2020. If you apply to test-optional colleges, you don’t have to take the exam. If you intend to take the SAT, make sure you’ve got a study schedule set well in advance.
Common SAT Sections You Need to Prepare For
- Math questions. The format for the SAT includes three primary sections. The mathematics section covers advanced algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear functions, and other intermediate and fundamental concepts. You can prepare for this section with online practice exams and SAT math preparation books.
- Evidence-based reading. The second section of the SAT consists of a reading test. You will be tested on your vocabulary and reading skill level. This falls under the actual exam’s English sections and showcases your understanding of basic concepts surrounding evidence-based content breakdown. Students should polish their English grammar skills, comprehension skills, and content review skills to ace this section.
- English grammar and writing. The English sections of the SAT also include a writing style test that covers grammar and comprehension questions. To best prepare themselves for this section, students should access practice material that includes a grammar review and information about the writing sections and tricky wordings.
- Optional essay portion. The SAT also includes an optional essay writing section. This section requires test takers to write an essay ranging from 650 to 750 words. This section tests critical thinking, creative approach, argumentative skills, and comprehension abilities. You can practice with an essay writing preparatory book.
- Prepare for the entire SAT. Along with individually preparing for the English and math portion, it is also vital to prepare for the entire test. You can use College Board’s SAT Study Guide to find test-taking strategies, a math prep book, English prep books, and other resources.
The 10 Best SAT Prep Books to Help You Get Ready
1. Kaplan SAT Prep Plus 2022
- Best for: Students looking for detailed answer explanations, tips on strategic test-taking approaches, and practice exercises.
The Kaplan Test Prep publication offers tons of popular standardized test prep materials. This SAT Prep Plus book is an excellent resource that covers five practice exams and test-taking strategies apt for the 2022 SAT. It also includes pre-quizzes and topic lessons for each section of the SAT. There are also in-depth questions on the math portion and English portions.
2. PWN the SAT
- Best for: Students who want official practice tests, testing strategies, and detailed explanations of beginner to advanced algebra and other math concepts.
According to the College Board, the average 2021 SAT score was 1060. Having a high SAT score increases the probability of university acceptance rate, and this book will help students boost their math score. It covers everything from algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and math reasoning. A high score in math is great for STEM majors or students entering business.
3. The College Panda’s SAT Writing
- Best for: Students looking to get extra practice for the English grammar and writing section.
If you need SAT preparation books with real questions to practice and detailed explanations for the English writing section, this book is an excellent resource. It covers SAT grammar rules, data interpretation, superlatives, comparatives, and transition sentences. Improve your writing scores with this comprehensive guide.
4. KALLIS’ Redesigned SAT Pattern Strategy, 3rd Edition
- Best for: Students who want a comprehensive review of the SAT, college prep advice, practice questions, and online score reports.
If you want ample additional tests with basic strategies, KALLIS’ book is for you. You can also enroll in SAT prep classes for extra practice. This book covers a math portion and an English session, and it provides detailed explanations for students to get an experience of the actual exam to get prepared.
5. SAT Prep Black Book
- Best for: Students looking for a recent edition of SAT prep book that covers practice quizzes, a practice test answer key, and high-scoring tips.
If you are in search of a comprehensive prep book with practice tests, score improvement tips, core concepts, and detailed topic coverage, then this physical book for SAT prep is an excellent resource. This SAT Prep Black Book provides tips for your SAT preparation approach and a question-and-answer key.
6. McGraw-Hill Education SAT Elite 2022
- Best for: Students who want a McGraw-Hill SAT prep book with a comprehensive study guide and practice sets.
McGraw-Hill Education publishes tons of reputable standardized test prep courses. This SAT prep book is best suited for students who want practice exercises, flashcards, and practice quizzes to ace their exams. The book also provides common strategies for test-taking and is an excellent resource that offers key strategies for time management and answering techniques.
7. 10 Practice Tests for the SAT, 2022
- Best for: Students looking for multiple full-length practice test questions and their answer keys.
This book is best suited for students looking to master their test-taking skills and revise their subject understanding by compiling comprehensive study plans. Among other supplemental materials, it offers 10 full-length practice tests and answer keys for practice purposes.
8. 500 New SAT Math Problems Arranged by Topic and Difficulty Level
- Best for: Students looking for a College Board SAT math prep guide with 500 sample questions and answers.
Get ample math practice with math reasoning, algebra, geometry, linear functions, trigonometry, and other math topics using this in-depth SAT math prep book. It categorizes math problems by topic and difficulty level and uses the official guide by College Board to provide detailed information about practice question types.
9. Princeton Review SAT Premium Prep, 2022
- Best for: Students who want a comprehensive subject review, full-length practice questions, online tools, and score reports.
The Princeton Review offers tons of prep materials for the SAT and other standardized exams. This book covers all SAT subjects and includes practice questions and answers. This comprehensive guide also includes an in-depth topic review, practical strategies, multi-step problems and answers, and test-taking strategies to help you perform well on exam day.
10. The Critical Reader, Fourth Edition
- Best for: Students looking for a prep book that focuses on the reading section of the SAT exam.
This SAT prep book focuses on study plans for the reading and comprehension section of the SAT. Students will learn to polish their critical thinking, grammar, and data interpretation skills, and pay attention to comprehension tips along the way. Use this complete guide to solidify reading and writing skills and review additional practice tests to ace the SAT.
Free SAT Books and Resources to Help You Get Ready
- Kaplan: SAT Prep
- Test Prep Review: SAT Practice Test Review
- Khan Academy: SAT Test Prep
- Varsity Tutors: SAT Diagnostic Practice Tests
- The Princeton Review: Free SAT Practice Tests and Events
Best SAT Prep Books FAQ
The best SAT study guides are the SAT Prep Black Book, the Princeton Review SAT Premium Prep 2022, and Kaplan SAT Prep Plus 2022.
Resources you can use for SAT prep include SAT prep books, online components such as online tests, SAT prep guides, and College Board SAT tips to prepare for the SAT. Kaplan Test Prep Plus, the Princeton Review, and McGraw-Hill Education offer excellent resources for time-management and test-taking strategies.
The top publishers with the best SAT prep books are the Princeton Review, College Board, Kaplan, and McGraw-Hill Education.
Yes, Khan Academy offers SAT prep resources. They include additional practice questions, detailed answer explanations, comprehensive topic coverage, and test-taking strategies.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.