Over the years, digital marketing has gained massive popularity because of advancing technology and market trends. Getting a digital marketing college certificate could further your career in digital marketing because a digital marketing certificate program is a great way to upskill in the field.
In today’s dynamic and fast-moving world, people look for quick means of learning digital skills, instead of years-long degree programs. This is one of the reasons for the popularity of digital marketing certificates that are offered by many colleges, digital marketing institutes, and other organizations.
What Is a Digital Marketing Certificate College Program?
A digital marketing certificate college program is a fast-paced learning program that helps students learn about key concepts and ideas in the digital marketing industry, like mobile marketing, social media advertising, and Google Analytics.
Through theoretical and experiential learning, students develop the knowledge and skills for a digital marketing career. A digital marketing certificate college program usually consists of credits that students can transfer to their undergraduate or graduate degree programs at partnered colleges.
What’s the Difference Between a College Digital Marketing Certificate and Professional Certification in Digital Marketing?
The difference between a college digital marketing certificate and a professional certification in digital marketing is that a certificate is earned upon completion of an academic program within a set timeframe. On the other hand, certification is earned after passing a certification exam, which doesn’t necessarily require an associated program.
Other points of difference include the program admission requirements, program duration, exams, and career opportunities. While the differences between a certificate and a certification might seem subtle, they’re actually quite significant. The table below highlights more of the key differences between the two achievements.
Digital Marketing College Certificate vs Digital Marketing Certification: Key Differences
|Digital Marketing Certificate
|Digital Marketing Certification
|A digital marketing certificate is completed within a defined time frame, usually between six months and a year.
|A digital marketing certification exam can be taken at any time.
|A certificate program is ideal for both new and experienced students seeking higher education.
|A certification is suitable for working students with some experience in the field.
|A digital marketing certificate is earned as a result of completing the related program.
|A digital marketing certification is earned as a result of passing the related exam.
How Long Does It Take To Get a Digital Marketing Certificate at College?
It takes between six and 12 months to get a digital marketing certificate at college. The time involved in getting the certificate depends on the type of certificate you are pursuing. An undergraduate certificate usually takes six to eight months to complete. On the other hand, it might take you seven to 12 months to complete a graduate certificate program.
Best Digital Marketing Certificate Undergraduate Programs
|Colorado State University Global
|Certificate in Digital Marketing
|Certificate in Digital Marketing
|Golden Gate University
|Certificate in Digital Marketing
|University of Maryland Global Campus
|Certificate in Digital Marketing
|University of Massachusetts Lowell
|Certificate in Digital Marketing
|Certificate in Digital Marketing
Best Undergraduate Digital Marketing Certificate Programs: Explained
Undergraduate certificate programs help students quickly develop an understanding of a subject, soon after earning their high school diplomas. Below, we’ll discuss the best undergraduate digital marketing certificate programs, along with key details, including their tuition fees and learning formats.
Digital Marketing College Certificate Program vs Digital Marketing Associate Degree
There are some key differences between a digital marketing college certificate program and a digital marketing associate degree program. To choose between the two study programs, you must know the differences between the two. Below are the key factors differentiating both programs.
- Timeframe. A college certificate usually takes a few months to a year to complete, whereas it takes around two years to complete an Associate Degree in Digital Marketing.
- Credits Earned. A digital marketing associate degree provides you with around 60 credits that can be transferred to a bachelor’s degree program. A digital marketing certificate usually provides you with 12 to 15 credits that may or may not be transferable.
- Professional development. A digital marketing college certificate program focuses on the professional development of students, usually preparing them to pursue professional certifications. Associate programs are more focused on academic enhancement.
- Prerequisites. The prerequisites for admission to a digital marketing college certificate program might include foundation courses or professional experience in the field. To enroll in a digital marketing associate degree program, you need to have a high school diploma and, sometimes, standardized test scores.
- Completion requirements. In a certificate program, you only need to complete four to six courses. An associate degree requires you to complete general education requirements, in addition to core and elective courses.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Associate Degrees
Is an Undergraduate Digital Marketing Certificate Worth It?
Yes, an undergraduate digital marketing certificate is definitely worth it because it enhances your resume and enriches you with technical knowledge and communication skills. An undergraduate digital marketing certificate might include internships to help you get hands-on experience with the latest digital marketing trends, such as mobile marketing, digital advertising, Google Analytics, video advertising, and Google Ads. You may get an entry-level job or pursue higher education after completing this certificate.
Best Digital Marketing Certificate Graduate Programs
|Graduate Certificate in
Marketing Management and Digital Strategy
|Missouri State University
|Certificate in Marketing Analytics
|Penn State World Campus
|Graduate Certificate in Marketing Analytics
|University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
|Certificate in Digital Marketing Specialization
|University of Missouri St Louis
|Certificate in Digital and Social Media Marketing
|$548.10/credit (in-state); $1,345.60/credit (out-of-state)
Best Graduate Digital Marketing Certificate Programs Explained
A digital marketing graduate certificate program helps you earn some credits for a graduate degree and develop foundational knowledge of digital marketing trends. Below, we have explained some of the best graduate digital marketing certificate programs, including online, hybrid, and in-person programs that you might consider attending.
Digital Marketing Graduate Certificate Program vs Digital Marketing Master’s Degree
Many students struggle to choose between a graduate certificate program and a Master’s Degree in Digital Marketing. Both of the programs are different from each other and you can pursue one or both, as per your convenience and learning goals.
You must explore the differences between both graduate programs to decide which one you should choose. Below are some key differentiating factors you should consider when choosing between a digital marketing graduate certificate program and a digital marketing master’s degree program.
- Cost. You can earn a graduate certificate in digital marketing at less than half of the cost of a master’s degree program in digital marketing. It’s cheaper because there are fewer courses in the program.
- Scope of Study. A graduate certificate in digital marketing focuses on specialized digital marketing knowledge with practical lessons covering all the relevant skills, concepts, and techniques. The learning path of a master’s degree covers a range of topics across the whole digital marketing industry, including relevant subjects and general education.
- Program Requirements. The common requirements for a graduate certificate include completion of coursework. A Master’s Degree in Digital Marketing requires the completion of coursework, plus a thesis and dissertation.
- Admission Requirements. Standardized test scores are usually not required for admission to graduate certificate programs. To get admission to a master’s degree program, you must usually submit standardized test scores, alongside other requirements, like a resume and statement of purpose.
- Career Opportunities. The career prospects for graduate certificate and master’s degree holders differ. Future employers might want you to have a master’s degree for certain high-level positions, while others are open to graduate certificate holders.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Best Master’s Degrees
Is a Graduate Digital Marketing Certificate Worth It?
Yes, a graduate digital marketing certificate is definitely worth it because it provides you with a smooth transition from a bachelor’s degree to master’s degree program. You can earn some valuable credits in a short period of time through a graduate certificate to earn your master’s degree quickly. It also opens doors to a wide range of high-paying career opportunities.
Digital Marketing Certificate Program Coursework
A digital marketing certificate program covers subjects directly related to the digital marketing industry. Some core courses are often required to get this certificate, including social media marketing, marketing analysis, and content strategy. Below are some common digital marketing courses included in a digital marketing certificate program’s coursework, with their brief descriptions.
The course on marketing analytics discusses marketing strategies, tactics, and techniques, as well as the measurement of their effectiveness. It includes research tools and methods to drive meaningful conclusions from the collected data. You learn how to improve your marketing campaigns and retain customer loyalty based on factual data, thereby meeting business goals.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is an important component of digital marketing, and this course trains students in the efficient use of social media in conversion tracking and marketing strategies. Students learn how online marketers and business professionals can use social media platforms to have better communication and increase visibility and customer loyalty.
Become a digital marketing pro with this general course that covers topics like advanced search engine optimization, search engine marketing, mobile marketing, online reputation management, and email marketing. You’ll learn to design, develop, and execute effective integrated marketing plans to attract and engage customers and improve customer loyalty.
Search and Display Advertising
Learn the fundamentals of search and display advertising, including what it is, how it works, and how it relates to online marketers. You’ll explore different channels of advertising and learn how to use them to execute your marketing campaign. The course sharpens your skills in targeting customers through advertising and helps you meet business goals.
Marketing Strategy and Branding
This digital marketing training course helps you explore the idea of content marketing and effective branding for business professionals. It includes studying the significance of branding in marketing and the ways to improve it. The course focuses on concepts like consumer psychology, consumer behavior, search engine optimization, and content marketing.
Best Online College Courses for Credit
What Can You Do With a Digital Marketing Certificate from College?
With a digital marketing certificate from college, you can choose from several job options. Not only can you achieve career advancement, but you’ll also qualify for some entry-level digital marketing jobs. Following are some of the best digital marketing jobs you can pursue with a certificate in digital marketing.
Best Digital Marketing Jobs and Careers With a Certificate
|Digital Marketing Manager
|Web Content Developer
|Email Marketing Specialist
|Search Engine Optimization Specialist
Best Digital Marketing Certificate Jobs and Careers: Explained
Whether you get an undergraduate or graduate certificate, you can have access to some of the best digital marketing jobs. These jobs might require real hands-on experience and relevant education. Below are some of the highest-paying digital marketing certificate jobs with high potential for growth in upcoming years.
Should I Also Get a Digital Marketing Certification?
Yes, you should also get a digital marketing certification because a digital marketing certification program equips you with specialized knowledge, tools, and the best digital marketing industry practices. They provide you with an opportunity to enhance your professional acumen through continued learning.
You can get access to more focused skill-based learning in a short period of time through digital marketing certifications. There is a range of certifications you can pursue to help you stay relevant within your current job and impress potential employers in the digital marketing industry.
Best Digital Marketing Certifications
- LinkedIn Digital Marketing Certificate. LinkedIn Digital Marketing Certificate is a path to mastering digital marketing tools under the supervision of professional digital marketing experts. This LinkedIn Learning program focuses on areas such as social media marketing, SEO, Google Ads, link building, and keyword strategy.
- Google Digital Marketing and Ecommerce Certificate. The Google Digital Marketing and Ecommerce certificate offers inexperienced digital marketers an opportunity to earn a professional certificate 100 percent online. The training courses in this certificate program help you get a good entry-level job.
- Duke University Digital Media and Marketing Certificate Program. Duke University offers students the Online Marketing Certified Professional (OMCP) Digital Marketing Certification. The OMCP Digital Marketing Certification program enables professional marketers to gain excellence in their field and career.
- American Marketing Association (AMA) Digital Marketing Certification. This certification teaches you about marketing management, content marketing, and other areas through advanced certification options. Upon successful completion, you’ll get a PMC Digital Marketing Certification, awarded in partnership with LinkedIn Learning.
- HubSpot Email Marketing Certification. HubSpot Academy offers free specialized certification in email marketing. It takes around 3.5 hours to complete the program online and learn the most in-demand digital marketing skills and email marketing strategies from this online education platform. The program includes video lectures and quizzes.
Best Professional Certifications
Is a College Certificate for Digital Marketing Worth It?
Yes, a college certificate for digital marketing is worth it because it provides you with a competitive edge over other students and traditional marketers. This competitive advantage benefits you in your educational and career paths significantly.
A college certificate helps you stay updated with the top new trends in digital marketing to become one of the best digital marketers in the community of marketing professionals, able to snag high-paying jobs. Plus, the cost and time efficiency of college digital marketing certificate programs make them convenient for a working digital marketer to attend.
Digital Marketing Certificates FAQ
Yes, online digital marketing certificates are better than in-person certificate programs where flexibility, cost, and convenience are concerned. They facilitate the ease of self-paced learning. However, in some online programs, you only get limited access to classes that expire after the defined period of time ends, and you’ll miss out on in-person networking and socializing.
Yes, there is a wide range of free digital marketing certification programs offered by online learning platforms, like HubSpot Academy, Google Analytics Academy, Facebook Blueprint, Google Garage, and LinkedIn Learning. These online marketing certifications show your familiarity with the digital marketing world.
No, you can’t get a digital marketing professional certification from online academies without an assessment. You must pass an external exam given by these online platforms. Some even offer a practice quiz that asks you relevant exam preparation questions and tells you about the minimum score needed to pass the online exam.
Yes, digital marketing is a good career as it offers a digital marketing expert more learning and growth opportunities than traditional marketing. According to Statista, digital advertising revenue is expected to pass the $700 billion mark by 2025. This means there will be more career opportunities for people with digital marketing skills and expertise.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.