In this article, we explore the top new trends in digital marketing. A few years ago, search engine optimization (SEO) was the major digital marketing strategy. More recently, the focus has shifted to video content. A good example of this is TikTok, which rose to popularity during the peak of the COVID pandemic, becoming a major digital marketing tool for business owners and the music industry.
New trends in digital marketing have seen global brands partnering with micro-influencers to produce user-generated content on TikTok for the modern consumer. Top brands like Sony, Fenty Beauty, Calvin Klein, Nike, Skittles, and FIFA have used these influencers to create campaigns. This guide will help you navigate the current and future trends in digital marketing.
What Is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is basically marketing in digital form. It is a way to influence and connect with your target audience online using a blend of marketing channels on digital platforms. These digital trends include social media posts, blog posts, video content, google ads, Facebook ads, content marketing, and search engine marketing.
Companies are more successful in marketing a product to consumers on these platforms rather than using traditional channels of marketing. Current trends are trumping the need for television and billboard advertising. Digital marketing has not completely replaced traditional marketing, but it is a more affordable marketing avenue for small businesses.
What Is the Current State in Digital Marketing?
Having the ability to click on target demographics has made marketing much simpler. The marketplace is competitive, so it’s important to be producing relevant content for the right audience. Companies need to be able to connect with their audience to nurture relationships that will lead to customer loyalty.
According to this Global Overview Report, over 4.6 billion people are active on the Internet, streaming, gaming, buying, or socializing. This means that 60 percent of the world has access to the Internet. With all the marketing technologies out there, promoting your business online has become simple, affordable, and necessary.
Impact of Remote Work on Digital Marketing
Remote work became necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has had a big impact on digital marketing strategies. More users flocked to TikTok alone to create personalized content as companies moved online. Since then, it’s become the current favorite that brands use to market their businesses online.
The main reason for TikTok’s popularity is that it targets a younger generation. The platform is more subtle when it comes to digital marketing and advertising. Brands use influencers with a large following to help them create interesting content that holds their attention and provides an entertaining customer experience.
Top Challenges in Digital Marketing
Despite the success of the digital marketing industry, there are notable challenges that should be checked and solved. These challenges include accessibility, Google algorithms, privacy issues, and engaging content.
- Creating engaging content: Content marketing is a powerful digital marketing plan. However, today’s consumers need continual fresh content and personalized experiences they can learn from. Brands need to adapt their content strategies and improve user experience by coming up with podcasts, short-form videos, Instagram stories, and live streaming content.
- Accessibility: A crucial challenge in digital marketing is accessibility. Websites need to be accessible to all people, including those with hearing and visual impairments. This helps visually impaired users to understand what is on the site and it is also great for SEO.
- Google algorithms: Google updates its search algorithm from time to time and this may affect search engine optimization strategies. Companies should remain updated by following new guidelines and implementing SEO best practices on their websites.
- Strategizing mobile-first: In the past, people used desktops for browsing. Today, the vast majority of people are browsing with tablets and smartphones. Businesses need to make sure that their websites are mobile-friendly and suitable for mobile users.
- Privacy and Data-Sharing Regulations: Each country has its own laws and rules that govern the population. If you have an international business, you must be compliant with laws in each region. The website must be transparent on its user privacy, data sharing, and cookies policy.
What Are Some Future Trends in Digital Marketing?
Nothing stays the same in the ever-changing trends in the digital marketing industry. These new and exciting developments change the way brands communicate with their audience and build customer relationships. So, what are some of the digital marketing trends for 2022?
Short, DIY videos
TikTok has shown how short product videos have changed the digital marketing trend when it comes to visual content. The trend has shifted from curated photo grids to short video posts. Platforms like YouTube and Instagram have also jumped on the user-generated content wagon to introduce Reels and Shorts. Video marketing is engaging and blends in with other content on social media platforms
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend allows users to consume content in a fast-paced way. Since users have a short attention span, it is easier to share your message with succinct and engaging content. It could be a dance challenge, a poll, or even a survey. The best thing about a short, DIY video is that everyone can create relatable content with their smartphones without any experience at all.
Even though smart assistants and speakers have been around for some time, they have begun to gain mainstream acceptance. Assistants like Siri and Alexa have been used to make search queries and websites have to be equipped to handle voice-powered searches. This increases their chances of popping up on the search query results.
Why Is This Trend Important?
Since more people are using voice assistants on their smart devices, it creates another opportunity for brands to market their products. Companies like Amazon have started working towards incorporating this trend. There are also targeted ads for Alexa coming soon. Voice search optimization is another strategy for businesses to consider.
Support Technology And AI-Powered Marketing
In recent times, tech has been a part of digital marketing. We see this in the use of chatbots as customer service tools. These bots replace live agents and can attend to more people at a time. It uses machine learning algorithms to emulate humans. Brands can relay information about a product and attend to customer service issues in a much more cost-effective way.
Why Is This Trend Important?
Since marketing does better when it is personalized and conversational, this trend is very important. Chatbots can offer this conversational method and reduce the strain on your resources and manpower. A customer service chatbot can provide 24-hour service, which will lead to more loyal customers.
Influencer marketing has become more popular recently. Social media platforms like Youtube and Instagram have been used to promote brands. The content is usually more relatable and this is what makes it effective. Active users are more likely to engage with an ad if the message is coming from their favorite influencer.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is important because word of mouth is a powerful marketing strategy. The audience values recommendations on products rather than just advertisements. Influencers help deliver the marketing message to their trusting audience by using conversational marketing.
Programmatic advertising involves using software to buy digital advertising. It also involves using AI to automate Google ads and advertisers can target specific audiences. It is quick and saves time, which in turn reduces customer acquisition costs and increases conversion.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is important because it allows qualifying Google ads to be sold faster on a per-case basis. Potential target audiences will see the ad faster which helps in increasing the return on investment. Brands study consumer behaviour and can identify which demographics are most likely to respond to their messaging.
Essential Digital Marketing Skills for Today’s Professionals
To stand out as a digital marketing professional, you need a combination of hard and soft skills. Some of these include data analysis, search engine optimization, content creation, communication, and basic design skills.
- Data Analysis: As a digital marketing professional, you’ll need data analysis skills. This includes using modern software and functional procedures to gather first-party data to process information from different interactions of the target market. The interactions could include search queries, online transactions, or consumed content.
- SEO & SEM: Both SEO and search engine marketing (SEM) are essential as a digital marketer. They help you to ensure that the content is up to par and that it gets to the proper audience. Stay on top of every algorithm update to keep your strategies relevant. This skill will help you narrow down the customer database.
- Content Creation: Creating content is great, but it isn’t the only thing you should be concerned about as a digital marketer. You also need to create SEO-friendly and high-quality content. This skill helps you to understand how to engage your audience and create content that resonates with your target demographic.
- Communication Skills: Communication skills are also essential for digital marketing. You need to be able to build relationships with your audience by building trust. The message needs to be clear and relevant.
- Basic Design Skills: While digital marketing does not focus on designing, it is important to have basic design skills. It’s helpful to know how to use software like Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and InDesign. These tools will come in handy when creating visual content.
Can a Coding Bootcamp Help Me Prepare for the Future of Digital Marketing
Coding bootcamps can definitely prepare you if you’re looking to go into the field of digital marketing. They offer intensive training to students in a remote or in-person capacity. Students can also choose to study on a full-time or part-time basis.
These digital marketing bootcamps stand out because they cover the most important aspects of the field. At the end of the program, you will have in-demand skills that employers are looking for. Bootcamps offer hands-on training to give you a practical view of the field before completing the program.
Top Digital Marketing Bootcamps
If you want to enroll in a digital marketing bootcamp, you have a few options. Do you want a remote program or an in-person course? Are you looking for a full-time or part-time program? Whichever the case, here are some top digital marketing bootcamps to consider.
|Thinkful||Digital Marketing Bootcamp||$4,900||Online|
|BrainStation||Digital Marketing Bootcamp Online||$15,000||Online|
|General Assembly||Digital Marketing Immersive||$13,500 AUD||Online /in-person|
|University of Denver Boot Camp||Digital Marketing Boot Camp||$9,495||Online|
|UT Austin Boot Camps||The Digital Marketing Boot Camp at Texas McCombs||$9,495||Online|
Current Trends in Digital Marketing: Take the Next Step in Your Career
The digital marketing field is constantly evolving as technology improves. New methods and strategies are being used to promote goods and services online. Some key trends include the shift to shorter videos such as TikTok videos and Instagram reels, the use of artificial intelligence in chatbots, and customer support as well as micro-influencer marketing.
While digital marketing has not replaced traditional marketing, it is an easier and more affordable way to reach your desired demographic. This can also be a very lucrative field. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, marketing managers earn an average wage of $133,460 and they have a job outlook of 10 percent over the next decade.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Trends in Digital Marketing FAQ
New trends in digital marketing include the use of chatbots in customer service to offer faster and personalized service, marketing automation, voice searches, video marketing, interactive content, AI-powered marketing, and micro-influencer marketing. Short videos are also a popular trend on popular social media channels like Facebook and Instagram.
There are different types of digital marketing and they include content marketing, search engine optimization, email marketing, marketing analytics, mobile marketing, affiliate marketing, and social media marketing.
To thrive as a digital marketer, you need communication skills, as well as design skills at a basic level. You’ll also need to learn about email marketing, data analysis, content creation, and search engine optimization.
You can learn digital marketing in a coding bootcamp. The programs cover types of digital marketing and the concepts needed to work in the field.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.