Those who are passionate about food and nutrition science might find an ideal career in the field of nutrition and dietetics. Because of the wide availability of online college nutrition courses nowadays, it is much easier to pursue degrees in a more flexible setting, allowing prospective students to successfully balance work, life, and school.
The availability of online college nutrition courses for credit is not only beneficial for students pursuing an online degree in nutrition. It is also a great opportunity for students who want to attend online college nutrition classes to help people make better food choices and live healthier lives as a career.
Why Should I Take an Online Nutrition Course for Credit?
An online nutrition course for credit can help you fulfill a common prerequisite for a healthcare degree. It provides knowledge on the essential nutrients the body needs. Full-time students in this introductory nutrition program can complete it in four to six weeks, although many can finish in less than 30 days.
As an online student, you will learn about nutrients and how the body uses them. Nutrition education courses also teach how nutrition affects an individual’s health and how nutrient needs change at different stages of life. Discussions on how psychology, society, and one’s values and beliefs affect dietary choices are also part of this course.
Top 10 Online Nutrition Courses for Credit
|Diploma in Comprehensive Nutrition||Huntington University of Health Sciences||$4,770, one-time fee|
|Diploma in Sports Nutrition||Huntington University of Health Sciences||$4,770, one-time fee|
|Diploma in Women’s Nutrition||Huntington University of Health Sciences||$4,770, one-time fee|
|Introduction to Nutrition||StraighterLine||$59, plus $99 monthly membership fee|
|Nutrition 101: Science of Nutrition||Study.com||$199 per month|
|Health 101: Principles of Health||Study.com||$199 per month|
|Introduction to Human Nutrition||UCLA Extension||$705, one-time fee|
|Foundations of Nutrition I: Introduction to Nutrition Science||UC San Diego Extension||$395, one-time fee|
|Principles of Human Nutrition||University of New England Online||$1,140, one-time fee|
|Fundamentals of Nutrition||University of North Dakota||$370.08 per credit|
Best Online College Nutrition Classes and Courses: Explained
1. Diploma in Comprehensive Nutrition
This online program is an excellent program in nutritional health, providing students with foundational knowledge in individual and community nutrition. Complete this course to help consumers live a healthy lifestyle through better nutrition.
2. Diploma in Sports Nutrition
This program is for students who wish to pursue career opportunities in the nutrition industry within sports nutrition. Designed for those with a passion for promoting nutrition-focused wellness in sports, this program offers guidance to a budding sports nutritionist or dietitian nutritionist and provides sound sports clinical nutrition and wellness guidance.
3. Diploma in Women’s Nutrition
This program is for those with a passion for women’s holistic nutrition, and who want to work in wellness centers for women or provide health education to women. It aims to cultivate an understanding of nutrition issues and dietary practices specific to women. A career goal for this program could be becoming a holistic nutritionist.
4. Introduction to Nutrition
This college nutrition course for credit teaches the types of nutrients and how the body uses them. Students will also explore how nutrition and dietetics affect human health and how nutrient needs change at each stage of life. This course also discusses how psychology, community health and society, and even values and beliefs affect an individual’s way of eating.
5. Nutrition 101: Science of Nutrition
This for-credit course is worth three credits toward your school diploma and can be credited to a degree program in nutrition at more than 2,000 colleges and universities. Students work at their own pace in mastering the nutrition fundamentals of this course which includes diet choices and sustainable food systems.
6. Health 101: Principles of Health
This online college nutrition course from Study.com tackles the topic of health as a whole by understanding how chronic diseases are directly related to nutritional sciences. Students can earn three credit hours while learning about topics such as health and nutrition, fitness and weight, and environmental health basics.
7. Introduction to Human Nutrition
In this course, students get a background in the basics of nutrition and dietetics. It also explains the correlation between nutrition practices, health, disease, and exercise performance. Another takeaway from this course is gaining practical knowledge about nutrition labeling, evaluating literature, and nutrition assessment.
8. Foundations of Nutrition I: Introduction to Nutrition Science
Another college credit course by the University of California San Diego Extension, this online asynchronous course grants online students three credit hours toward a bachelor of nutrition degree. They will learn about the foundations of nutrition from industry experts, and also touch on nutrition research, planning healthy diet choices, and the food industry.
9. Principles of Human Nutrition
This is a three-credit online nutrition course that emphasizes the nutrient requirements of healthy individuals. It also covers nutrition’s role in promoting health and disease prevention for prospective students aspiring to become health professionals or conduct nutritional counseling.
10. Fundamentals of Nutrition
The Fundamentals of Nutrition course covers the basic principles of nutrition and dietetics for individuals and family groups. It also covers strategies to manage weight, alongside topics about non-nutrients in food, nutrition, and physical fitness. The course has 19 lessons, applicable exams, and a study project.
Top 5 Free Online College Nutrition Courses
- Nutrition: Vitamins and Minerals | OpenLearn. OpenLearn, an online master learning platform opened by The Open University, offers this free nutrition course. In this course, students can learn all about vitamins, minerals, and their role in nutrition. It takes approximately 10 hours to complete and offers an introductory level of nutrition learning.
- Starter Nutrition Course | The Health Sciences Academy. This beginner course includes an impressive curriculum with questionnaires, tests, and even a TED Talk. In this course, students learn about superfoods, energy and nutrition, and the components of balanced diet choices.
- Introduction to Nutrition and Food Safety | FutureLearn. In this four-week course developed by Taipei Medical University and offered through the FutureLearn platform, online students learn the basics of nutrition and dietetics. The course is free, but users must pay if they opt for unlimited access and a completion certificate.
- Mental Health and Nutrition | edX. Developed by the University of Canterbury and offered on edX, this course teaches students about the relationship between nutrition and mental well-being. An online student can complete the course in about eight weeks. It’s completely free, with an optional upgrade option for unlimited access.
- Nutrition and Health: Food Safety | edX. This is another nutrition course offered through edX. In this eight-week course, online students learn about bacteria and health hazards present in food. It’s also free to complete and access for the duration of the course, with an optional upgrade fee for unlimited access.
Are Online Nutrition College Courses Worth It?
Yes, an online nutrition college course is worth it if your passion is to help people stay fit and healthy. You can be a nutritionist or a dietitian if you complete a nutrition degree program and work in outpatient care centers, nonprofit organizations, residential care facilities, or healthcare facilities. You can also find work as a nutrition professional in nutrition counseling or food service management.
The job growth outlook for careers in the nutrition field is strong, with a projected 11 percent growth through 2030, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Nutritionists and dieticians can find lucrative salaries in the field as well, with an average annual salary of $63,090.
Online College Nutrition Courses FAQ
Not all online courses have admission requirements because some courses are free or for casual learners, while others can be studied for college credit. It depends on the type of course, its duration, its opportunities for transfer credit, and the institution that hosts it. An online nutrition degree program or graduate program would have admission requirements.
Yes, there are online nutrition programs whose credits can apply to an advanced degree course in nutrition. If you already have a degree and are interested in a career in the nutrition field, have your credentials evaluated by nutrition educators to learn about the right courses to take to earn an online nutrition degree.
Yes, several accredited colleges offer various online career options for courses, including online bachelor’s degrees in nutrition. Students need 120 credits to graduate from an online nutrition program.
Yes, taking online college nutrition courses is a great way to advance your professional career in the wellness and health field or another nutrition-related field. This allows you to upskill and learn about the most recent knowledge and trends in the industry if you are currently working while wanting to study. It can also help you decide if you want to pursue a degree in nutrition.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.