If you are interested in becoming a database administrator or a data manager, you should consider learning PeopleSoft. Its many applications make organizing huge amounts of data easier. Data specialists with PeopleSoft training are in high demand in the current job market.
Much more than just a software company, PeopleSoft brings lucrative opportunities to job seekers and business owners alike. In this article, we will discuss what PeopleSoft is and how you can learn everything it has to offer using courses, books, and other resources.
What Is PeopleSoft?
PeopleSoft, Inc. is a software solution application business headquartered in Pleasanton, California. Owned by Oracle, the company specializes in providing human resource data management for large corporations. With origins in client-server architecture, its operations have evolved from human resource management systems (HRMS) to include much more.
The cost of ownership differs from application to application. PeopleSoft is now used for customer relationship management (CRM), enterprise performance management (EPM), and financial and supply chain management. PeopleSoft also offers tools for general business processes such as materials management.
The use of PeopleSoft applications cuts across several industries. It is especially prevalent in industries based on customer service. These include education, research, the public sector, healthcare, and financial services. As a result, there are plenty of jobs available for PeopleSoft certified individuals.
Types of PeopleSoft Applications: What Are They Used For?
PeopleSoft is an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) solution and its applications are used by thousands of businesses across many industries. It is known to be an industry leader.
Using current and powerful software technologies, its applications enable businesses to achieve optimal performance in a variety of simple and complex operations.
Human Capital Management (HCM). The one thing all businesses have in common is their reliance on the workforce. It is essential to implement workforce management, acquisition, and optimization effectively.
To tackle this problem, PeopleSoft has an HCM application. This application mainly works with people resource management, or in less technical terms, the employees. There are five primary modules of HCM.
- Global Core HCM. The global core module of HCM provides a self-service business directory and real-time analytical tools. You can also use this module for payroll solutions, benefits, pension administration, and multinational companies can use it for data exchange.
- Workforce management. The workforce management module is built for businesses to oversee labor costs by managing their employees. It provides regularly used applications such as monitoring time and attendance, travel and expense management, and overall resource management.
- In-memory labor rules and monitoring. This module is primarily designed to help your business make good labor decisions using real-time data analytics. The applications include a rule implementation service for streamlining workplace productivity within company rules.
- Workforce service delivery. The workforce service delivery integral system is designed to reduce administrative costs. One of the key applications of this module is self-service, giving employees access to HR data and transactions.
The application also aims to help businesses improve workforce satisfaction by facilitating communication with the employees. This is usually achieved through surveys.
- Enterprise-wide talent management. The talent management module offers applications for future workforce planning and recruiting. The applications also ensure optimal workforce performance through guidance as well as reward programs that attract ideal employees to fit the company.
Overall this module is designed to implement successful business strategies among prospective and current employees.
Enterprise Resource Management (ERP). ERP applications are used to manage day-to-day business tasks. Many of Peoplesoft’s ERP applications are needed for every business to function well. It is widely used in the education, hospitality, healthcare, construction, and non-profit industries.
ERP applications help companies organize, communicate, and strategize business data and activities for optimal success. Several components of every business fall under ERP.
- Supply Chain Management (SCM). The SCM application by Peoplesoft provides data for product planning, product sourcing, product design, risk management, delivery, and return. Data analytics are used to achieve a smooth supply chain system.
- Financial Management Solutions (FMS). The PeopleSoft financial module tracks and analyzes financial data records in your company. The financial applications are used to manage the financial processes. Some of those processes include accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and business expenses.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM). Peoplesoft’s CRM module contains applications that help improve your business’s user experience and user interface. The CRM applications provide marketing and sales automation, partner relationship management, and many such tools.
PeopleSoft consultants and developers are expected to have a variety of skills, both technical and functional. While you can choose to pursue specific areas of PeopleSoft, some general skills are necessary.
Basic Business in Technology Knowledge
One of the most crucial skills is to understand how businesses operate in the tech sector. This includes a basic business background, which you can build by pursuing a business management degree in technology, or through business bootcamps and courses,
Data Management and Analytics
PeopleSoft is a tool that helps business development processes through data management and analytics. Data is key to any successful business, so the skill to understand and breakdown data is a must. You can learn this skill by signing up for data analytics bootcamps or courses.
Depending on which PeopleSoft module you’re using, you will have to acquire software programming skills. Some skills include coding techniques and modifying software engine code.
Additionally, there are many places where you can learn to code for free. One of the most popular data management tools is SQL. You can learn SQL to help you better understand how to use the PeopleSoft application suite.
Learning PeopleSoft requires a combination of business, research, and tech skills. The software is used across all industries and mastering it will give you plenty of career opportunities.
All of the applications are constantly coming out with new features and enhancements, so it’s important to keep yourself informed about updates. You can learn PeopleSoft using online courses, videos, books, and other resources.
How Long Does It Take to Learn PeopleSoft?
There is no set time frame for learning PeopleSoft. It depends on a combination of factors, including your learning style, learning resources, commitment level, and background knowledge.
If you lack the background, however, then it might take between one and two years. So if you want to learn PeopleSoft, start browsing the courses and other resources down below.
How to Learn PeopleSoft: Step-by-Step
But before we get to the resources, let’s walk through the six basic steps you should take to learn PeopleSoft.
- Learn basic business and technology concepts. It is essential to have a basic background in business and technology to master PeopleSoft. If you don’t have that background, try to obtain it through courses and other resources.
- Research and find out your interest. Research the various applications of PeopleSoft and figure out which area or areas interest you most.
- Enroll in PeopleSoft courses. When you know what you want to learn, enroll in the appropriate courses. Learn the programming languages PeopleSoft often uses such as SQL, PeopleCode, and Cobol.
- Practice. The amount you practice will determine your level of PeopleSoft knowledge. So, commit to practicing until you perfect the software.
- Earn certifications. It is of utmost importance to have proof of your skills. So work hard and pass the courses you take to earn professional PeopleSoft certifications.
- Apply for jobs. Add PeopleSoft to your resume and start applying for jobs. You can apply as a consultant, developer, or reporter depending on what you want. Or, if you’re an entrepreneur, you can apply the skills to grow your business.
The Best PeopleSoft Courses, Books, and Other Resources
The amazing thing about online resources is that they are available at the click of a button. There are hundreds of aids available for you to start learning PeopleSoft. You can choose the resource according to your liking.
There are online courses, video tutorials, books, and many other resources available on this topic. We present our favorite ways to learn the application suite.
Best Online PeopleSoft Classes
One of the best ways to learn is via online courses and resources. They offer convenience and flexibility so you can learn stress-free and stay inside your comfort zone. Learning online, however, requires a lot of discipline and a commitment to success. Keeping that in mind, below are some online classes on PeopleSoft you can choose to take.
- Provider: Udemy
- Prerequisites: None
- Time: 8 Hours
- Cost: $49.99
No list is complete without a Udemy technology course. This course is targeted at those interested in learning the HCM modules of PeopleSoft. It focuses on the Global Core HCM module. It is a great asset for anyone interested in the field of human resource management.
The course consists of eight hours of on-demand videos that will teach you the basics of HCM, payroll, and benefit plans. It is recommended that you have some understanding of human resources and generally know your way around the application suite. You can earn a certification upon completion.
- Provider: Multisoft Virtual Academy
- Prerequisites: None
- Time: 16 Hours
- Cost: $325
Multisoft is offering a great online certification training session on human resource management systems. You will learn everything you need to know about human resource application uses by the end of this training. Some topics include data permission security, adding recruits to the system, and maintaining the employment history of the workforce.
Essentially, it will teach you how to set up and use the core human resource functions of the PeopleSoft application suite. They recommend you have some basic understanding of the software, but don’t worry if you don’t. You can gain an understanding of the software by conducting your own research in advance.
This course is particularly beneficial for those wanting to pursue a career in system analysis, report development, and functional implementation. At the end of the training, you will be eligible to take the PeopleSoft 9 HRMS Fundamental Exam.
- Provider: Multisoft Virtual Academy
- Prerequisites: None
- Time: 32 Hours
- Cost: $525
This course, also offered by Multisoft, covers the FMS module applications. It emphasizes the financial receivables areas of FMS. You learn a range of topics including receivables tables, entering payments, defining payment processing, and processing drafts.
This course also recommends a basic ability to navigate Peoplesoft, so make sure to come prepared. But at the end of the course, you will be eligible to take the PeopleSoft Receivable 9.1 Essentials Exam. You will earn a certification if you pass.
Best Online Free PeopleSoft Training and Courses
For those who don’t want to spend money on courses and training, we’ve got you covered. Below are the free resources you can use to learn more about PeopleSoft areas.
- Provider: Oracle Cloud University
- Prerequisites: None
- Cost: Free
- Time: Self-Paced
What better way is there to learn PeopleSoft than through its owner? Oracle University offers many video modules where you can learn the business components that make up the PeopleSoft application suite.
The training offers a guide to many business activities, such as HCM, talent management, ERP, SCM, procurement, and much more. You can gain a basic understanding of these crucial business components while working towards an official Oracle accreditation.
- Provider: YouTube
- Prerequisites: None
- Cost: Free
- Time: Self-Paced
This is an amazing and detailed video tutorial on youtube by IT Forte Inc. Divided into 36 parts, the tutorials will teach you everything you need to know about how to use PeopleSoft applications. We highly recommend this resource to anyone wanting to get started on PeopleSoft.
Best PeopleSoft Books
Books have always been a great way to learn. For those who would prefer not to learn through a computer screen, check out some of Career Karma’s recommended books on PeopleSoft.
PeopleSoft Developer’s Guide for PeopleTools and PeopleCode, Judy Doolittle
This book is for anyone wanting to become a developer for PeopleSoft. You can learn how to use PeopleTools and PeopleCode, two pieces of software developed by PeopleSoft. Doolittle’s book will also teach you how to enhance Peoplesoft modules for the best return on your investment.
Essential Guide to PeopleSoft Development and Customization, Tony Delia, Galina Landres, Prakash Sankaran, and Isidor Rivera
Written by several authors, this book is a practical guide for both beginners and experienced software programmers. You will learn how to design and implement development techniques on PeopleSoft through real-life examples. This is a great guide on how to manage the complete software development life cycle.
Bromwich’s book HRMS Reporting is a great guide that teaches you how to retrieve data from the HR applications. You will learn many HCM techniques on how to navigate the software. Some include accessing your data using SQL, designing better reports for HR, and payroll use.
Certifications are very important for job considerations, as they prove that you have the skills you claim to have. To further your career, you must earn certifications. Below are some of the main certifications you can earn to prove your PeopleSoft skills.
This certification showcases your overall financial operations skills using PeopleSoft. Some of those skills include maximizing cash from financial operations, lowering the cost of compliance, reducing processing time, and more. If you earn this certification you can pursue careers in payables, receivables, billing, e-settlements, and general ledger.
This is a great certification if you are interested in pursuing the HRMS modules of PeopleSoft. You will have to prove your skills in selling and implementing human resource solutions using the application. It covers all of the HCM modules. You can pursue careers in the human resource field with this certification.
This certification proves your overall abilities to create, test, and troubleshoot the PeopleSoft application suite. You can use it to pursue careers in development, application design, and assisting customers in classic and fluid applications.
Should You Study PeopleSoft?
PeopleSoft offers successful software solutions for businesses across every industry. If you are interested in using software programs to meet complex business requirements, then you should learn PeopleSoft. One of Oracle’s Peoplesoft certifications is an especially great way to open up lucrative career opportunities in data management or business analytics.
And if you’re a small business owner, you shouldn’t have to hire PeopleSoft consultants to get the solutions you need. Learn PeopleSoft for yourself to take matters into your own hands and selectively adopt the applications that work for you.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Read more