If you’re thinking of becoming a real estate agent or want to make a breakthrough to the real estate industry, then this guide is for you. Real estate agents sell residential or commercial property to those looking for new space.
Whatever type of property you’re selling, you should first make sure you have a good understanding of the real estate industry and what it entails. Going to school or taking real estate online courses can help. Below are some real estate courses you should consider taking if you want a career in property sales.
What Does a Real Estate Agent Do?
A real estate agent’s job duties are pretty straight forward. Below are some examples of an agent’s day-to-day duties.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Do you want to learn more about how a coding bootcamp can help you learn to code? Get started by finding the right bootcamp for you along with unlocking additional information about bootcamp cost and reviews.
- Work with sellers to list properties
- Conduct open houses
- Research local communities
- Work with buyers
- Schedule property showings with potential clients
- Understand clients needs
- Close sales on properties
Skills Real Estate Agents Must Have
To be a successful real estate agent, a person must learn or already have the following skills.
- Interpersonal skills
- Real estate market knowledge
- Negotiation skills
- Sales knowledge
- Listening skills
- Basic marketing skills
Why You Should Take a Real Estate Course
There are many reasons you may choose to take a class in real estate. If you are looking to become an agent, then you must go to school and take courses to earn your license.
You can also take a real estate course if you are interested in buying and selling houses to earn extra income, or if you want to learn more about the industry before diving in.
Let’s take a look at the best courses to help you launch your real estate education.
Hondros College is a real estate school that offers pre-licensing courses in all 50 states to individuals who are looking to become certified agents. Along with their in-person campus classes, they also offer online real estate courses for students who prefer to complete classes on their own time.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Keep in mind that each state has its own licensing program, licensing exam, and real estate exam. Below are some examples of pre-licensing courses offered by Hondros.
Course Fee: $1,599
Hondros College also offers courses for individuals who are looking to become a real estate broker, mortgage lender, home inspector, appraiser, or title insurer.
The CE Shop
The CE Shop is a real estate education website that offers courses in pre-licensing, exam prep, post-licensing, and continuing education in each state. Each state has its own separate courses, samples of which are listed below.
Course Fee: Varies depending on course and state
- Pre-licensing courses
- Classes include: Real Estate Practices and Principles, Real Estate Law, Real Estate Finance, Real Estate Appraisal
- Exam Prep
- This exam prep course offers unlimited practice for students preparing for their licensing exams.
- This post-licensing course varies by state, but usually comprises 20 hours of study to renew your license.
- Continuing Education Courses
- Examples of these CE courses include: Breaking Barriers: Fair housing, Advocating for short sale clients, and much more.
Kaplan is a real estate education website that provides courses for prospective real estate agents following state specifications and laws. It caters to students who want to get their real estate license or broker license, or who want to prepare for an exam or continue their education.
Course Fee: Varies depending on course and state
- 75-Hour Modern Real Estate Practice
- 30-Hour Salesperson Course
- Pre-License Course
Center For Realtor Development
The Center for Realtor Development, which is part of the National Association of Realtors, offers courses for individuals who are already qualified brokers or who are looking for extra education. They offer a variety of certifications, continuing education courses, and ethics courses.
Course Fee: Varies depending on course
- Designations and Certifications
- Code of Ethics
- These courses include: Code of Ethics for continuing education and non-continuing education.
- Continuing Education
- These courses include Measure of Professionalism, Position Your Team for Profit, and Accredited Buyer’s Representative.
- Course Catalog
- These courses, which realtors can attend according to their preference, include Buyers by Generation, Discovering Commercial Real Estate, Pricing Strategies, and Resort and Second Home Specialists.
Real Estate Exam Prep Courses
Test-Guide is a free online practice test website that offers practice exams on many subjects. If a student wants extra test preparation on top of that which is included in their program, they can practice here.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Practice Test: Real Estate Exam
The five available real estate practice tests cover the following topics.
- Real Property Characteristics
- Transfer of Property Title
- Real Property Environmental Issues
- Property Management
- Financing Principles
- Agency and Agency Relationships
- Local, State, and Government Restrictions
Conclusion: Are You Ready to Take a Real Estate Course?
Real Estate courses are essential to becoming a real estate agent. Classes vary by state because of state laws and regulations. However, each course is essentially the same, with slight changes to match local guidelines.
If you want to begin your journey to becoming a real estate agent, remember to continue to market yourself to gain new clients. These courses will help you learn all the necessary skills to better understand the real estate industry, trends, and how to sell houses.
First, talk with a real estate agent or broker to see if the career is right for you. Then, choose the program that is the best match for the state in which you reside. Use this guide as a reference for some of the best overall courses to get you started in your new career.
Real Estate FAQ
If you want to have a professional career in real estate, you will need a license to sell property.
A broker is a real estate agent who owns their own agency.
No. Real estate regulations vary state by state.
Look at the courses offered in your state and see which one works best for you.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.