Full stack development is one of the most popular and lucrative jobs in the tech industry. The demand for this role in tech has grown over 27% since 2014. This comes as no surprise, as full stack developers are essentially “jacks of all trades” and fill many different roles. So, what does it take to become a full stack developer? How can you ace your interview? Career Karma has the answers plus tips to help you succeed!
What is a Full Stack Developer?
Before we dive into the interviews, let’s take a step back and review what full stack developers actually do. You may have heard about backend and front end developers. Full stack combines elements of both backend and front end development. This means that your job could entail working on both the consumer and server side of operations. Full stack developers are expected to have a great skill set with mastery of many different coding languages and concepts. While this may seem daunting, it’s important to reiterate that companies are willing to compensate full stack developers generously for their knowledge.
Common Full Stack Developer Interview Questions
Now for the moment you’ve been waiting for, here are the top interview questions for full stack web developers:
- What is the most essential programming language for your job?
- Write code to find pairs of duplicate characters in a string.
- How would you store a user’s password for an online portal?
- In CSS, what is “!important”, what does it do?
- Describe a time when you made a mistake in your duties. How did you rectify it?
- How do you optimize a webpage with a heavy load?
- What is the difference between a class and an object?
- Do you have any experience with peer programming?
- Have you used Angular?
- What, in your opinion, is the most important quality in a full stack developer?
It’s important to keep in mind that these are just ten of the hundreds of questions that could potentially be asked during a full stack developer interview. It’s important to do research on the company that you’ll be interviewing with ahead of time. You should also prepare for both skill based and personality related questions.
How to Get Started
If you love to learn and you like a challenge, full stack development could be the way to go for you! The biggest first steps before landing an interview are having a stellar portfolio and resume. One of the best ways to get started is to attend a coding bootcamp. Through bootcamps, tech hopefuls will learn everything they need to know in order to land the full stack job of their dreams. Career Karma can connect you with the best coding bootcamp to help you achieve your goals!