The importance of health in one’s life cannot be overstated. Primary care providers are the first line of defense, particularly when infectious diseases are prevalent. In the past two years, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have become interested in various trends in health care, particularly the ones that involve physical health.
Healthcare providers should offer high-value care to patients, especially the ones that suffer from several ailments. Different aspects of health, not just physical health, should be prioritized now more than ever. This guide will address current trends in health care as well as some of the issues that healthcare providers are currently facing.
What Is Health?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), health is defined as a “state of complete mental, physical, and social well-being,” and is not just the lack of disease or illness. As a result, everyone should strive to maintain the best possible health, which is a fundamental human right.
Healthcare providers use tools, medicine, and various strategies to prevent disease in a population. When a person is not suffering from diseases, they are said to be in good health. If a person is showing signs of infection, for example, this is a sign of poor health. However, physical condition and health are not the same.
What Is the Current State of Health?
The coronavirus is still the ultimate health threat currently. As of January 2022, 375 million have been infected with the virus worldwide. Many health systems and hospitals have been overwhelmed by cases.
Healthcare systems in some countries weren’t prepared for the pandemic, so essential supplies like face masks, respirators, and test kits weren’t available, which had a negative impact on patient experiences and brought up larger questions and concepts of health equity.
In 2022, the US spent 19 percent of its GDP on healthcare. This indicates that health is prioritized and emphasized, especially now. Furthermore, to make healthcare more accessible, virtual visits have also been made available.
Impact of Remote Work on Health
The biggest benefit of remote work on health is that you’re less likely to get sick and infected by viruses. Although you can be confident that you are less likely to contract the virus, various experts have found that people had fewer opportunities to exercise and socialize when working remotely, which had an adverse impact on their mental health.
Mental health is just as important as physical health. Countless hours in front of a screen can lead to fatigue, headaches, and eye-related illnesses. Remote work has offered flexibility to professionals, yet many employees experience isolation, loneliness, and the feeling of a never-ending workday. Many professionals claim that it feels like they are working for more than the typical 40 hours.
Top Challenges in Health
There are numerous difficulties regarding different aspects of health. The challenges listed below may not have a direct impact on your health, but they can affect you in the long term. While many health inequalities affect people on a personal level, several are caused by health systems.
- Health care costs: Some people can’t afford medical care and its costs. Sometimes, people cannot afford access to quality care. This can lead to them not receiving the proper help, medicine, and even critical care they need.
- Telehealth adoption: Everything is going digital, and adjusting to health information technology can be difficult. Telehealth and telemedicine can be helpful for patients that want to use the Internet to consult a doctor. However, some find it challenging to work with complex applications and systems.
- Availability of supplies: Some people stockpile medicine and supplies as a result of health threats, resulting in a shortage of resources when sick people need them the most.
- Disparities in health: Disparities in health are defined as differences and gaps in the quality of health of various ethnic and socioeconomic groups. This is a challenge because patient experiences are not the same in healthcare, resulting in health inequalities. This can also imply that there are no explicit measures of health equity.
- Coronavirus pandemic: One of the top challenges in health is still the coronavirus pandemic. It has affected people’s physical and mental health and the economy. Unfortunately, no one knows when the pandemic will end, and it is still considered one of the greatest current health threats.
What Are Some Future Trends in Health?
There are several key health trends to be aware of. These trends can provide you with deep insights and remind you to always take care of your health. Primary care providers must also adapt to these developments to make healthcare more accessible to all.
Decrease in Flu Cases
When the coronavirus pandemic broke out, the public was worried about a “twindemic,” which means there was a chance of a severe flu season in addition to COVID-19. However, this didn’t happen since there was a decline in flu cases last year, mainly because of social distancing, active flu vaccination campaigns, and strong policies of wearing a mask.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This is a huge development because it saved lives and proved the effectiveness of preventative measures. Of course, though flu cases are dropping, this does not imply you should be irresponsible. Keep wearing masks and get vaccinated as it will protect you and those around you.
Increase in the Use of Mental Health Services
The pandemic has caused a lot of stress for a lot of people. Many have experienced anxiety and depression due to isolation and loneliness. People are becoming more aware that they need to take care of their mental health. As a result, many crisis counseling and mental health hotlines opened. Several applications have also become more prevalent too, so people can talk to someone if they need help.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is significant because mental health is an important area of health. If you’re not mentally well, it can have a negative impact on your daily routine and tasks. Therefore, healthcare providers should provide resources like a crisis hotline so that people who feel anxious can talk to professionals who can give them the proper help they need.
Rise of Telehealth Services
As mentioned, this is a challenge that the health industry faces. Many people are comfortable consulting a doctor through a video call. Virtual healthcare is efficient since you don’t have to commute to consult with healthcare practitioners and worry about being exposed to viruses.
However, telehealth should not be regarded as a substitute for an in-person consultation. Quality is paramount when it involves your health. Additionally, telehealth services require access to the Internet and a level of understanding of certain software. Health systems and quality care need to be accessible to everyone.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is significant because you can pay for your consultation through alternative payment models and use accessible tools to schedule your consultation and complete the required documentation of your virtual visit.
This trend can have a positive impact on those who want to consult doctors immediately. IT companies should be able to provide solutions and systems which will make health information technology possible for hospitals or health care providers to implement.
Upsurge of Remote Patient Monitoring
Remote patient monitoring or RPM is a method of healthcare delivery where the latest technology is being used to gather patients’ data outside the usual healthcare settings. This can prevent health inequalities, as it is a cheaper way of receiving necessary care.
What happens here is that patients do their monitoring at various times of the day and then electronically transmit data to their clinicians or doctors, who ensure complete documentation. Afterward, they can be given different instructions and recommendations.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is significant because people can be cared for inside their houses without being in a facility and still receive the care and help they need. In addition, this trend can help in reducing the number of days you have to stay in the hospital or prevent you from being readmitted altogether. This is especially good for people suffering from hypertension, diabetes, and congestive heart failure conditions.
Impact of COVID-19 on Obesity
According to the American Psychological Association, 61 percent of adults have experienced weight alterations from the start of the pandemic. For these past few years, various populations worldwide may have observed an increase in weight.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is important because healthcare professionals study the way body weight affects overall health, and further research is necessary to understand the impacts of weight gain. This also brings up concepts of health equity, as not all demographics have the same access to quality care.
Essential Skills for Today’s Healthcare Professionals
Today’s healthcare providers face various challenges, and they need certain skills to provide adequate care. Keeping up to date with Health care literature, health information technology, and new treatments is especially essential in a pandemic, as well as achieving progress on health equity. Keep reading to learn about essential skills all healthcare professionals need.
- Stress management skills: Your health declines when you can no longer cope with the daily stresses of life. You must know how to pause, relax, and be mindful of what you’re feeling to deal with stress appropriately. Healthcare providers are experiencing unusual pressure these days, and it is essential that they develop ways to deal with this stress.
- Proficiency in good personal hygiene: Good personal hygiene is essential right now. You need to know basic things, such as properly washing your hands and even covering your mouth when sneezing in public places.
- Decision-making skills: All healthcare workers from primary care providers to surgeons need to be able to make good decisions under stress. They need to decide on achievable health outcomes and help patients understand the next steps.
- Self-management skills: Self-management is another essential skill for healthcare workers. It takes dedication and devotion to work in this field, and all healthcare providers need to know how to set healthy boundaries and take care of their own needs.
- Analytical skills: Analytical skills are essential because you need to correctly analyze the information you see on the Internet. Healthcare workers collect facts from reliable sources like the Journal of Medical Internet Research, BMC Public Health, and the American Medical Association.
Current Trends in Health: Take the Next Step in Your Career
There is a lot of valuable information that health organizations provide, so professionals can gain insights into today’s trends and challenges. One of the major threats to people’s health is still at large because the pandemic is ongoing. There is a strong need for more doctors and nurses, and healthcare workers in general.
If you want to improve the average health of your community and improve trends in health equity, now is a good time to go into the medical field. If you want to become a doctor, or any health worker, you will have the chance to improve lives every day.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Trends in Health FAQ
The key trends in healthcare include the creation of effective policies, proper health care delivery, and the implementation of technology. The government has also been trying to develop procedures that will assure the same health equity measures for everyone.
The health trends for 2022 include an emphasis on exercising and working out, monitoring sleep quality, and the importance of wellness. More people are focusing on their mental health as well as their physical health in 2022.
There are many popular health trends in an age of so much health-related Internet use, and it is impossible to select one that is the most popular.
Mental, physical, social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual elements of health are all included in holistic health.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.