A high school diploma or a GED is a foundational prerequisite for lucrative jobs across sought-after industries. If you want to pass the GED test, then you have come to the right place. We will cover the best GED prep books, GED prep sections, and the resources you need to ace this exam. We will also include the best five free GED prep books and resources.
This article can help you take this career starter exam and secure high-paying jobs without a degree or build academic skills for advanced education. It creates a solid foundation for your career.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Should I Take the GED?
Yes, you should take the GED test if you want to land high-paying jobs and have a stable career. The GED tests your knowledge of major topics and essential skills in multiple subjects. There is no doubt that having a higher educational qualification opens up lucrative job opportunities. Not having a GED can hinder you from accessing these career opportunities.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics educational attainment statistics, people with no high school diploma have an unemployment rate of 5.4 percent. This rate is the highest compared to other qualifications. You should take the GED test if you want to earn more, climb the ladders of your dream career, and get into your dream college.
A GED opens a direct pathway to higher education and ultimately a lucrative career. You can apply for a four-year university degree or attend the best coding bootcamps to land non-tech or tech-based jobs.
Common GED Sections You Need to Prepare For
- Math topics. The GED exam coverage primarily tests you on four sections. The math skills section covers questions on mathematical reasoning, algebra, geometry, functions, and graphs. This section is a combination of multiple-choice and grid-in formats. You can use tons of online prep resources and math study guides to learn the key concepts.
- Science topics. The GED test also includes a science section that tests your knowledge of scientific subject content like periodic tables, scientific data, critical thinking skills, and graphics. Be sure to get intensive practice on biology, chemistry, and physics topics.
- Social studies topics. The full-length GED test includes a social studies exam section that covers history and social studies concepts. You need to master social studies reasoning, arguments, and graphs for this section.
- Language and arts section. This section of the GED test includes multiple-choice, essay, and drag-and-drop style questions. It tests your understanding of English grammar, critical-thinking skills, and English literature. You can find tons of GED prep books and study guides that will help you ace the actual exam.
- Master your test-taking strategies. Developing a personalized study plan and prepping study materials is key to passing standardized tests. Practice sitting through long exams and find effective strategies that will help ace the GED test. You can look up GED prep centers in your state for full-length practice tests sessions.
The 10 Best GED Prep Books to Help You Get Ready
1. GED Test For Dummies 4th Edition
- Best for: GED candidates looking for two full-length practice tests covering all four exam sections
This GED prep book offers a great comprehensive review of the exam’s question types, study plan, and testing strategies. This book is apt for non-native English speakers looking to prepare for the Math, English, Social Studies, and Science sections of the test. It will help you improve your time management skills while providing complete coverage of the test contents.
2. GED Study Guide 2021-2022
- Best for: Candidates looking for three full-length practice tests with detailed answers covering all subject areas
This 2021-2022 GED study guide will help you ace the GED test with an excellent score. It offers three full-length practice questions and a detailed overview of each answer. This prep book is best suited for candidates who have some subject background and are looking to practice with the type of question and format of the exam.
3. GED Study Guide 2022 All Subjects
- Best for: Candidates wanting both physical prep book and online practice tests to prepare for all subject topics
Looking for a GED prep book with a comprehensive study guide and ample practice test questions? Then this book might be the ideal prep tool for you. It covers reasoning, grammar, algebra, geometry, life science, economics, and geography topics. You will also find flashcards, cheat sheets, test-taking tips, and correct answers, which will help you prepare for exam day.
4. GED Study Guide 2022 and 2023 All Subjects
- Best for: Candidates wanting detailed explanations, practice test questions, study materials, test-taking strategies, and a study prep plan
This GED prep book offers the latest coverage of the standardized test and includes abundant math exercises as well as language, arts, and reasoning topics. It also covers social studies and science subjects and provides practice questions with correct answers. You will get an in-depth exam preparation study guide that gives you extra practice avenues and test strategies.
5. Kaplan GED Test Prep 2022- 2023
- Best for: Candidates looking for a Kaplan GED test prep book with complete practice tests, expert guidance, and an all-inclusive study guide
The necessity and popularity of the GED standardized test continue to soar and pave way for career success. According to the American Council on Education, over 965,000 candidates took the GED test between 2014 to 2018. This number continues to rise. By taking the GED you showcase your competency level to match a high school education.
This Kaplan GED test prep book offers both paperback and online materials that ensure your study time is effective. It covers all four subjects and includes over 1,000 practice questions, online video tutorials, a comprehensive study guide, and a diagnostic pretest.
6. McGraw-Hill Education Pre-GED, Third Edition
- Best for: Candidates looking for an exam preparation study guide with practice tests, abundant exercises, and key topics lesson coverage
The McGraw-Hill Education Pre-GED prep book is best suited for candidates looking for a book that is a complete A-Z review edition. You will see difficult concepts, detailed answer explanations, subject lessons, test-taking strategies, and flashcards.
7. Kaplan GED Test Prep Plus 2021
- Best for: Candidates wanting Kaplan test prep strategies, practice tests, and an all-inclusive subject coverage
The Kaplan GED test prep plus book is for those who want to learn from reputable and established field experts. This GED test prep plus book offers complete coverage of the exam using a step-by-step approach for each answer key. You will find over 1,000 practice test questions, online videos, and test-taking tips for effective study time.
8. Master the GED Test 2020
- Best for: Candidates wanting 5 full-length practice tests, diagnostic exams, and GED vocabulary tests
Many jobs don’t require a high school diploma or a GED, but getting a GED will help you venture into more high–paying and secure job opportunities. Use this GED study book to ace your exam. It includes five practice tests, subject reviews, and a GED vocabulary list. It also offers a paperback version and an online test with detailed answer explanations.
9. 5 Practice Exams for the GED Test
- Best for: Candidates looking for extensive practice tests, a variety of sample questions, and comprehensive study guides
If you are equipped with the subject’s understanding and want to polish your test-taking skills, this book is for you. It offers five full-length practice test questions with detailed answer explanations and a wide range of question types. Use this book for a complete review of your skills and knowledge.
10. Mometrix GED Study Guide 2021 All Subjects
- Best for: Candidates wanting the actual testing experience with practice tests and step by step video tutorials
Mometrix are field experts who offer an ideal prep tool for tons of standardized tests. This GED study guide 2021 provides a realistic test-day experience. You will find practice tests, in-depth concept explanations, test-taking strategies, and complete exam coverage.
Free GED Books and Resources to Help You Get Ready
- Test Guide Free GED Practice Tests
- GED Testing Service Free Classroom Materials
- Study.com The Best Free GED Prep
- Puramosa.com Learn English
- Gedeno GED Prep Guides
Best GED Prep Books FAQ
You can find the best GED prep books and practice test questions on online shopping websites. You can also look up Kaplan GED review material and McGraw-Hill Education Preparation pages to find detailed answer explanations and GED practice questions.
The passing score for the GED test is 145. A score of 164 or more is considered a decent score for college applications.
No, it isn’t hard to pass the GED test. You will need extensive test-taking preparation in mathematical reasoning, science, social studies, and English to pass the exam. You can use GED prep books, practice test questions, or a combination of formats to prepare for the exam.
The best way to prepare for the GED test is to learn foundational math, science, social science, and English topics and do ample practice tests. You can use GED flashcards, get one-on-one tutoring, or watch full-length GED videos to ace the real exam.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.