So, you finally decided to learn how to code and pursue a career in software development. Like many others, you might have taken pre-recorded lectures on platforms like YouTube and MOOCs to get started. As you watched along, you probably found yourself frustrated with the multiple pauses as you hop on coding platforms to test what you learned. With all the switching back and forth between platforms, it’s hard to keep your focus and momentum.
That’s where Scrimba comes in.
Scrimba offers a comprehensive solution where you can watch lectures and test your skills without interruptions. It’s also quite affordable for anyone who wants to learn to code but can’t splurge on pricey bootcamps or college courses.
If you checked out our review of Scrimba here, you already know about the impressive list of coding courses and membership plans that Scrimba has to offer. To recap, Scrimba has three coding program tiers with varying degrees of accessibility to their coding courses and global learning community: Free, Pro, and Bootcamp.
But what makes their learning experience stand out? How exactly does Scrimba ensure that you learn effectively and efficiently? Keep reading to uncover all the insider tips and tricks!
Scrimba is a top-tier learning platform for budding technologists without breaking the bank. Join thousands of global learners and start your tech journey.Get started here.
The Scrimba Experience
Scrimba’s mission is to help learners become hireable frontend developers at a mere 1% of the cost charged by a coding bootcamp. But how does Scrimba guarantee a top-notch learning experience for its students? The short answer: it replaces the conventional classroom setup with alternatives designed to have you learning faster and smarter!
1. Interactive Screencasts
First on the list of Scrimba’s cutting-edge features are their interactive screencast, aptly called “scrims”. We’ve already talked about scrims in our recent deep dive into Scrimba, but it’s such a unique feature that it’s worth another look.
Have you ever found yourself getting lost in lectures and unable to catch up as your teacher carries on with the discussion? With instructional videos, you can rewind, pause, and fast forward to concepts you need a little more time learning about. Scrimba takes that a level higher with its scrims.
Think of it this way: With linear instructional videos, there really isn’t much you can do other than play, pause, rewind, or fast-forward the material. With scrims, you get to do all that plus instantly turn what you’re watching into practice. You can jump into the video and edit, input data, or perform other digital actions. That way, you’re directly interacting with the content and taking on an active role in your learning, even in an asynchronous setting!
2. Bite-sized Lessons
Learning with Scimba is made more convenient with short videos, typically under 10 minutes in length. You can easily digest and comprehend Scrimba’s bite-sized lessons. Scrimba also incorporates challenges or tasks into lessons that you can do in just one sitting to cement your understanding of the material.
3. Learn Anytime, Anywhere
Scrimba offers flexibility to access educational content whenever and wherever it’s most convenient for you. Whether you’re a parent, a working student, or just really busy, Scrimba allows you to fit learning into your schedule, fully grasp concepts, and thoroughly refine your skills at your own pace.
For some, this may look like finishing a course in a few months; others in a year or two. But as long as you have the perseverance and commitment to upskilling and improving your career, Scrimba can be your first step to achieving your goals.
4. A Growing Community of Budding Developers
Scrimba injects human connection into the online learning experience through its global community of over a thousand budding developers. You can engage with the Discord Scrimba community and benefit in many ways. For instance, Discord members gain access to help channels and join students enrolled in specific modules.
- Study with peers. If you’re in the mood for company, you can create or join study groups with your fellow Scrimba learners. It’s a great way to further your understanding of tricky coding concepts and stay engaged throughout your learning journey. Since the community is global, you’ll always find someone online to give you a helping hand.
- Collaborate on group projects. For developers, building software is always a team effort. So why not practice your collaboration and communication skills by working on projects together with your Scrimba peers?
- Code reviews. Learning how to write code is only half the journey to becoming a good developer. You need to know how to write clean code, and what better way to improve than by receiving and learning from feedback? At Scrimba, anyone (even you!) can provide code reviews and support each other in improving. However, only Pro and Bootcamp members can request code reviews.
- Build relationships. Grow your professional network as you get to know like-minded learners in the Scrimba community.
5. Live Events Throughout the Week
There’s no shortage of learning opportunities at Scrimba. Every week, Scrimba holds events to further your coding skills and expand your network. Check out what awaits you at Scrimba.
- Town Hall. Tune in to Scrimba’s town halls on Discord to keep up with the latest happenings at Scrimba, celebrate community wins, and share the news with fellow members.
- Live-coding streams. Also hosted on YouTube, the Scrimba team solves coding challenges and projects live on air. Have a browse at some of Scrimba’s fun coding streams below:
Costa Rica-based Scrimba alum Adrian Zamora shares that everything shifted for the better within six months after starting the Front End Career Path. He said, “It gave me the strong foundation I needed which landed me a Junior Developer job for TripAdvisor. I work from home, earn twice as much as my previous salary, and have tons of learning opportunities.”
Landon, another alum, fully recommends Scrimba bootcamp to anyone who’s still on the fence about starting their tech career. “The bootcamp helped with bringing together others in the same boat as myself and getting us to discuss problems, ideas, or projects. If you are struggling with impostor syndrome or staying motivated, this is the right place for you,” shares Landon.
How to Optimize Your Coding Journey at Scrimba
Here are some tips and tricks to make the most out of your Scrimba experience!
1. Take advantage of Scrimba’s free courses.
Learning a skill can be like drinking from a fire hose, especially when starting from scratch. It can also be a significant investment of both time and money. Before you jump into Scrimba’s paid plans, why not take advantage of their free offerings first? They’re a great way to see if you’re really into coding and to build solid foundational skills without spending a dime.
2. Maximize your learning experience through the Scrimba community.
Peer-to-peer support is such a vital part of the Scrimba learning experience. That’s why all learners gain access to the Scrimba community from Day 1. Note, however, that if you join Scrimba through its free membership, you will only have basic access to the community. To get the full experience, upgrade your membership to Scrimba Pro or Scrimba Bootcamp.
3. Talk to your career coach!
If you enroll in the Scrimba Bootcamp, you’ll gain access to the necessary tools to make yourself stand out from the competition and land your first job. In addition to getting hands-on coding experiences by completing solo and group projects, you can tap Scrimba’s career coaches to help tailor your resume, improve your LinkedIn profile, sharpen your interview skills, and learn best practices, among others.
Ready to Start Your Journey?
Education has evolved tremendously, and Scrimba is at the forefront of redefining what it means to learn on the go. Say goodbye to boring and complicated courses, hefty tuition fees, and rigid schedules. Members can access:
- Online interactive scrimcasts
- Bite-sized lessons
- A global and inclusive community of developers
- Workshops and other events
Ready to start your journey? Find the right course for you and let Scrimba help you achieve your dream tech job!
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.