Becoming a software engineer has become more accessible than ever as tech companies realize the value of skills over pedigree. Now, you can break into the industry even without formal education. Insights from Hired reveal that around 35 percent of software engineers in 2022 do not have a bachelor’s degree.
The tech industry is clear on its message: As long as you’ve got the right skills, you have a higher chance of landing a software engineering role. So, where and how exactly do you build the right software engineering skills? That’s where App Academy comes in.
Don’t let a college degree limit you from becoming a software engineer. With App Academy, you can now join thousands of technologists who realized their tech dreams!Take your first step here.
App Academy Software Engineering Certificate vs. Computer Science Degree
App Academy is a coding bootcamp that has been in the game of shaping competent software engineers for over a decade. Here are what you can get out of App Academy that you won’t get from a computer science degree:
- You get to save money. If you want to secure your future, attending a top university like MIT can get you there but it would cost you a fortune. One year of attending MIT is said to cost more than $73,000, CNBC reports. Meanwhile, App Academy offers job-focused training and potentially connects you to huge opportunities for a lot less.
On top of that, App Academy offers various financial options like an Income Share Agreement. You can begin the program without paying anything. Once you graduate and secure a full-time position, you can pay off your tuition over the course of 36 months. Students can also opt for a deferred payment plan to ease their financial burden. Qualified students can apply for a student loan via Climb Credit.
- You get to save time. Education has evolved over the years. You no longer have to commit four years to earning a degree to get hired. With coding bootcamps like App Academy, you can build competitive tech skills fast!
In just 16 to 48 weeks, you can learn everything you need to start a career in software engineering. With App Academy’s end-to-end approach, you can access expert instructors and teaching assistants to help you conquer learning milestones and power through obstacles.
- Highly accessible education. You have some control over your learning plan at App Academy. Are you more comfortable with learning online or in person? Do you have the availability to learn full-time? What about part-time? Depending on your learning needs and preferences, you can choose your schedule and learning format at App Academy that’s most convenient for you.
- You gain comprehensive support throughout your job search. Unlike colleges and other traditional learning institutions, career services at App Academy are not optional or hard to find. Instead, they are built into App Academy’s software engineering programs so you graduate with competitive skills to start your job search fully prepared and confident.
- Good ROI. With hundreds of bootcamps mushrooming across North America, only a few can really prove their worth. At App Academy, graduates report securing jobs in six months after completing their programs. The average entry-level annual salary they take home amounts to $96,763—a highly comparable amount to the national annual salary average of $67,828. If you’re looking for a proof of positive return on investment, this is it!
How to Become a Software Engineer with App Academy
Now that you know the benefits of training with App Academy, let us walk you through how to maximize your learning.
1. Get a soft start to coding.
Take your first step by learning software engineering basics with App Academy Open, the coding bootcamp’s proprietary platform that offers a free online coding course. Chock-full of full stack engineering lessons and easy-to-use learning tools, the course helps establish your interest in software engineering and gives you a peek at what you can expect once you enroll in the bootcamp.
The free programs cover topics that include:
- Web development fundamentals in HTTP, CSS, Responsive Design, etc.
- Front end and backend engineering
2. Experience immersive technical skills training.
Immerse yourself in hands-on exercises and work with a buddy through pair programming. Aside from solidifying your skills, you learn how to become collaborative and a team player—two of the most sought-after skills in the workplace.
Here’s what App Academy has to offer:
- 16-Week In-Person Full-Time Software Engineering Program
- 24-Week Online Software Engineering Program
- 48-Week Part Time Software Engineering Program
3. Build a software engineering portfolio.
As they say, “Practice makes perfect”. And what better way to do that than build projects using the skills you learned at the bootcamp? Students flex their creativity and problem-solving skills by completing realistic challenges in every project. For instance, some notable App Academy student projects include an online code-typing contest called Code Dash and a stock application, Stocks Overflow.
Above all else, these projects serve graduates well in their job hunt as they can add them to their professional portfolios. A portfolio is a collection of work showcasing your skills and knowledge, which can strengthen your professional brand and compel companies to hire you.
4. Grow your professional network.
Amassing thousands of learners and industry professionals, App Academy’s tight-knit community is a deep pool of resources and connections you do not want to miss out on. The bootcamp also actively supports its alums as they navigate their next steps through Alumni Resources.
The team includes talent experts providing career coaching, recruiting or job placement, and networking opportunities. Hear from alums and industry experts as they share their experiences, tips, and the latest industry trends.
5. Access comprehensive support for your job search.
Making your way through the job market can be met with dozens of challenges, especially if imposter syndrome starts to creep up. But with close guidance from App Academy’s career advisors, you can be more prepared in acing your interviews and impressing hiring managers as you sharpen your job-hunting skills.
And if you’re still unsure about App Academy, check out what employers like Google and Arize have to say about why they hire App Academy graduates.
Skip the Diploma and Become a Software Engineer
As digitalization sweeps the globe, the demand for highly skilled technologists like software engineers knows no bounds. Case in point, all industries heavily rely on technology to run their operations and achieve their goals. Hence, a well-equipped IT team has become a must-have in every enterprise.
Break into tech successfully, and let App Academy be your trusted partner to realize your dream of becoming a software engineer. Apply to App Academy today!
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.