Chatbots, facial recognition devices, virtual assistants, and autocorrect are some of the real-world AI examples you interact with daily. The field of artificial intelligence is vast and has impacted multiple industries. According to Statista, the global market in AI accrued $328 billion in 2021. Given that an increasing number of investors are channeling their money into it, the trends in AI are insurmountable.
Companies need to hire top talent in AI to meet the growing demand. These experts are responsible for the top new trends in AI for the future. If you want to work with AI technologies, you can become a machine learning engineer, artificial intelligence engineer, or data scientist. This article will discuss the various trends in AI and highlight some top-paying careers in the AI field.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
What Is AI?
Artificial intelligence (AI) involves machines that demonstrate human intelligence. There are multiple examples of artificial intelligence, including automation, machine learning, natural language processing, and robotics. This means AI technologies can be implemented across various fields, such as health, education, business, finance, banking, and security.
There are four types of AI: reactive machines, limited memory, self-awareness, and theory of mind. Reactive machines mimic human responses to different stimuli without memory. Limited memory relies on memory functions to improve certain processes. Theory of mind is another type of AI that can understand mental states like emotions. Self-awareness features human-like intelligence.
What Is the Current State in AI?
Undeniably, the impact of AI has led to enhanced technologies and solutions across different industries. Today, there are voice-based assistants that are prevalent across retail, automotive, and IT industries. Businesses are also relying on chatbots to increase customer satisfaction. The use of AI tools as software-as-a-service (SaaS) is also rising.
There are major companies that are well aligned with the developments in AI. Organizations like Facebook spearhead AI research by dedicating multiple resources for its advancement. This company is notable for designing AI hardware that can handle higher-level computation. It’s also known for providing new algorithms, deep learning engines, and virtual assistants.
Google is also a pioneer in AI developments since it provides a TensorFlow library to facilitate machine learning. IBM Watson, a cognitive system that reads data and learns on a wider scale, is another example. Microsoft is also a leader in AI. The company provides a platform for developers to build Android, iOS, and Windows applications.
Impact of Remote Work on AI
The impact of AI is not only evident on full-time jobs that take place in an office setting. It also appears in a remote working environment. AI’s effect is seen in marketing, banking, manufacturing, research, and many more industries. AI technology has led to faster processing and consequently reduced human labor.
Businesses are now more reliant on data-driven technologies, which has rendered some human intervention useless. However, many companies cannot operate effectively without human labor. They incorporate AI in their business processes, and many of these job responsibilities are easy to perform remotely.
Top Challenges in AI
As much as AI is growing at a very fast pace, there are still challenges that prevent the industry from growing even faster. These challenges deter the efficiency and effectiveness of the industry. As professionals try to solve problems across different sectors, they encounter a few setbacks that hinder the growth of AI. Below we touch on the five top challenges in AI.
- Limited knowledge and expertise: Artificial intelligence is a buzzword around many tech circles, but there are a lot of gray areas around it. Top companies like IBM, Google, Apple, and Facebook have a lead in the industry, whereas mid-level and small companies are trying to catch up. These companies lack the required knowledge and expertise.
- Infrastructure: Lack of infrastructure sets back artificial intelligence developments across many industries. Since artificial intelligence-based solutions require a high computational speed, the industry requires reliable infrastructure and high-end processors. Businesses need to build robust environments to handle AI-based solutions.
- Complex algorithms: Algorithms determine the general performance and function of business intelligence. Businesses that require AI should be conversant with AI-based solutions and technologies. Often, enterprises overlook how much manpower it requires to implement and train artificial intelligence and machine learning models.
- Data security and storage: AI applications often require a substantial amount of data for making intelligent solutions. Businesses experience challenges since they may lack ample storage for large volumes of data. Therefore, a business should invest in a proper data management environment. Often, organizations rely on cloud solutions to store data and files.
- High computing power: Artificial intelligence requires very high computing power. With the complexity of deep learning growing each day, professionals face a challenge arranging multiple cores and GPUs for AI to work effectively and efficiently. Another factor is that AI algorithms require a supercomputer to be executable.
What Are Some Future Trends in AI?
The field of AI is constantly developing. It’s challenging to pinpoint all significant developments that the industry will experience in the future. Regardless, we did some research and discovered some AI future trends that you should be aware of as a professional. Five of them are listed below.
Natural Language Processing
Being one of the most used AI technologies, natural language processing (NLP) helps to significantly reduce the need for screen interaction since machines can comprehend human languages.
Today, AI-based devices can transform natural human languages into readable computer code to run applications. With this development, there will be a reduced need for human-to-human interaction as machines will be able to engage with users in a language mimicking humans.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is important because it will contribute to sentiment analysis, machine translation, automatic video caption, and process description. It will also positively impact the use of chatbots.
Another artificial intelligence trend involves cyber security. Artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques are becoming more intertwined with cyber security systems. This is because machines are more interconnected than ever before.
They control each aspect of our lives and consequently increase the prevalence of cyber crime. Therefore, developers are forced to work extra hard to keep up with evolving malware and ransomware.
Why Is This Trend Important?
Given the height of cyber crimes today, we require artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to reduce the chances of malicious hacking. Algorithms help analyze network traffic and determine the patterns of virtual activities. They collect data from transactional systems, websites, communication networks, and public sources to determine malicious activities.
Cloud and AI Integration
There will be significant adoption of artificial intelligence in cloud computing. With more businesses seeking to implement AI in their systems, the demand for AI-based cloud solutions is rising. This will not only impact the security but also improve the storage of data.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is significant because it will help business leaders to monitor or manage large amounts of data more easily. Organizations will also have an easier time managing cloud resources.
Metaverse refers to an environment that allows users to interact at a deeper level. The virtual world mimics the features of the Internet, but it provides a better experience since it’s created by users. Mark Zuckerberg is one of the leading personas who intends to combine the virtual world with Facebook.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is important because it will completely revolutionize the idea of human interaction. This development will allow users to create environments to enhance their creativity together. It will also foster users’ partnerships with AI machines to complete tasks and activities.
Artificial intelligence and machine learning will soon make certain job positions obsolete. The adoption of these new technologies has affected professionals in customer services, marketing, transportation, and even administration. As businesses implement machine learning tools and technologies in their daily activities, they notice the efficiency and effectiveness AI brings to the table.
Why Is This Trend Important?
This trend is important because it helps businesses determine potential customers and arrive at credible business decisions. Machine learning tools and technologies play a huge role in predictive analysis.
Essential AI Skills for Today’s Professionals
If you want a successful career in AI, you must possess a particular set of skills. The field of AI is broad and has a very high demand given its growth. We compiled a list of essential AI skills for today’s professionals below.
- Computer programming. You need to have experience in coding before starting a career in artificial intelligence. Several platforms will help you master programming languages, tools, and technologies. Therefore, learning Python, R, Java, or C++ is crucial. You should also acquire knowledge in Julia, Shell, TypeScript, and Scala.
- Neural network architectures. Another skill you focus on is machine learning. Neural networks are essential in speech recognition, handwriting recognition, image classification, and translation.
- Machine learning algorithms. A solid familiarity with machine learning algorithms will go a long way. You should learn TensorFlow, Spark, and Scikit Learn. It’s also important to master the application of algorithms. Therefore, proficiency in linear regression, hyperparameters, and multiple models is essential.
- Exploratory data analysis. Artificial intelligence is heavily based on data. So, you should be able to conduct exploratory data analysis to identify patterns in data. You must be able to summarize statistics, create graphical representations, and prepare data for modeling.
- Linear algebra, calculus, and statistics. To launch a career in AI or machine learning, you will need a good grasp of vectors, matrices, and algebra. You will also need to be familiar with derivatives and integrals. This will help you understand gradient descent in AI. Statistical concepts and probability theories are essential to thrive in the industry.
Can a Coding Bootcamp Help Me Prepare for the Future of AI
Coding bootcamps often curate their curricula to meet the current demand. You will learn all essential skills in programming to help you navigate the field of artificial intelligence with ease. Coding bootcamps are also excellent platforms to meet potential employers and professionals in the tech field, which can easily lead to AI jobs.
Top AI Bootcamps
If you are a beginner in artificial intelligence, you can join a bootcamp program to master the aspects of AI. In the table below, you will find a list of the top AI bootcamps to help you build your foundation in the industry.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
|Holberton School||Foundations of Computer Science and Machine Learning||First Year: $45,000; second year: $40,000||In-person|
|Lambda School/ Bloom Institute of Technology||Data Science||$21,950||Online|
|My Great Learning||PG Program in Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning: Business Applications||$3,500||Online|
|Springboard||Machine Learning Engineering Bootcamp||$10,340||Online|
|The Data Incubator||Data Science Bootcamp||$1,695||In-person, Online|
Current Trends in AI: Take the Next Step in Your Career
If you want to be a frontrunner in the future and current AI trends, you should consider joining a course in machine learning or artificial intelligence. You can advance your career by enrolling in an artificial intelligence bootcamp or online course. The course providers often adjust their programs to reflect the current needs or trends in the industry.
Another way to boost your career is by acquiring a certification. There are several artificial intelligence professional certifications that can increase your job prospects. One of the top AI certifications is Certified Artificial Intelligence Engineer provided by the United States Artificial Intelligence Institute. There is also IBM’s AI Enterprise Workflow Certification program and Microsoft’s Azure AI Fundamentals certification.
Trends in AI FAQ
The most recent developments in AI are in cyber security, health, and automobiles. However, the effects of artificial intelligence can be seen in a wide range of industries.
The most popular artificial intelligence inventions are the Google Cloud Machine Learning Engine, Azure Machine Learning Studio, and IBM Watson.
You can acquire the necessary AI skills from artificial intelligence bootcamps, Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs), community colleges, or universities. You can also join a trade school or simply watch online tutorials to gain an in-depth understanding.
Top paying careers in artificial intelligence are in data science, computer vision engineering, machine learning, algorithm engineering, and computer science.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.