It goes without saying that college can be expensive. In fact, the average annual cost to attend university in the US can get up to $51,690, according to Statista. However, the cost of attendance varies widely between institutions, and if you choose the right school, you can save thousands of dollars. In this guide, we take a look at the cheapest data analytics schools.
If you’re seeking data science associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degrees, the most affordable data analytics schools can help you decide where to go. Read below to find the cheapest data analytics degrees, the jobs you can get after graduation, and tips to help you pay for college.
What Are the Most Affordable Data Analytics Schools in the US?
The most affordable data analytics schools are Miami Dade College, Northcentral Technical College, New Mexico State University, and Kennesaw State University. These schools have lower tuition rates than most schools in the US. However, there are lots of factors that can affect the cost of college, including location, scholarships and grants, and level of education.
How Much Do the Cheapest Data Analytics Schools Cost?
The cheapest data analytics schools cost between $10,000 and $30,000 per year. A data analytics program will be more expensive if you have to pay out-of-state tuition. Other factors to consider besides tuition are additional fees, the average cost of accommodation, required books and supplies, and health insurance.
Cheapest Data Analytics Schools Cost Breakdown
- Tuition. Tuition is the cost of taking classes at your college, and there are usually fees that go with it. Many schools have a per-credit tuition breakdown so you can judge how cheap or expensive the program is. Some will also present tuition by credit hour, by credit units, or even by semester.
- Fees. University fees are the additional charges you have to pay to be a student. There can be application fees, fees for individual courses, and fees for access to certain student services. These can include campus fees, lab fees, and tech fees.
- Accommodation. If you live on campus, you will have to pay for your room and board. Living off campus in a rented space can also be expensive. Studying while living at home with your family is a good option to save money, but you can miss out on the college experience.
- Books. Most traditional programs will require textbooks and other reading materials, which can add up. There are many opportunities for individuals to find used data analytics, statistics, and marketing analytics textbooks to save money.
- Health Insurance. The American College Health Association requires all institutions to provide health plans. You should make a strategic decision to choose a school that offers good health insurance for its students.
Why You Should Attend a Data Analytics School
You should attend a data analytics school because it can help you start your career in the field. Data analytics is applicable in a variety of industries, not just those associated with big data or statistics. If you go to college for data analytics, you can find jobs in digital marketing, retail, engineering, IT systems, and more.
Because of their versatile skills, there is a high demand for data analysts. Students with data analytics degrees can expect to find high-paying jobs in places like New York and San Francisco. In fact, the average salary for data analysts in San Francisco is $83,684, according to PayScale.
Best Data Analytics School Career Options
Some of the best data analytics career options include computer and information research scientist, computer network architect, and database administrator. These are some of the most in-demand jobs for data analysts.
The job outlook for computer and information technology jobs is 13 percent from 2020 to 2030, which is higher than average. This includes the outlook for information security analysts, computer systems analysts, and data scientists. Data analysts with project management skills, communication skills, and other in-demand skills can easily find jobs.
Data Analytics Salary
According to PayScale, the national average salary for data analysts is $63,305. This salary can change depending on your location and experience. For example, PayScale also reports that experienced data analysts earn $72,394 and senior data analysts earn $85,246. Once you start your career, you can slowly move up and earn a higher salary.
Can You Attend Data Analytics School for Free?
No, you cannot attend data analytics school for free. However, if you qualify for enough financial aid with grant and scholarship opportunities, you can avoid paying tuition yourself. There are various other options for financial aid through FAFSA or private loans. You can also find scholarships for specific programs and topics, like business analytics and statistics.
Cheapest Data Analytics Schools That Won’t Break the Bank
|Miami Dade College
|Northcentral Technical College
|Community College of Allegheny County
|$4,602 (in district)
|University of South Florida
|Kennesaw State University
|New Mexico State University
|University of Maryland Global Campus
|Georgia Institute of Technology
What Are the Cheapest Data Analytics Schools? A Deep Dive
Paying for Data Analytics School With Financial Aid
If you don’t have the means to pay for a degree, you can choose from several financial aid options. These include federal grants, federal loans, private loans, and work-study programs. An online data science degree doesn’t have to be expensive, as long as you find the right financial resources. Read below to learn more about how to pay for college.
There are many different types of federal grants offered by the US Department of Education, so be sure to check which ones you’re eligible for. Federal grants are essentially “free money” that you don’t have to pay back when you graduate. This makes federal grants the ideal choice for people who need help paying for their in-person or online data science programs.
Unlike federal grants, federal loans are government loans that allow students to borrow money to attend school. When you finish your studies, you will have to pay back your loans, and most loans accumulate interest. Don’t forget to fill out FAFSA to see what your best loan options are.
Private student loans are offered by private institutes such as banks or credit unions. Many people use private student loans to fill a payment gap once you have maxed out federal loans. Bear in mind that many private loan programs have high interest rates.
A work-study program allows students to get professional experience while studying. While you apply for college, check to see which schools have eligible work-study programs so you can save money during your program.
Best Schools For Your Area of Study
How to Apply for Federal Aid to Finance Your Data Analytics School Program
Federal aid is one of the best ways to pay for college. Borrowing money from the government is much more reliable than finding private loans. To apply for federal aid to finance your data analytics school program, follow the steps below.
- Prepare relevant documents. In order to apply for financial aid, you will need to provide personal documents and proof of income. Read your loan requirements carefully to make sure you’re providing the right information.
- Fill out forms accurately. Once you have all your documents ready, you can proceed to fill out your FAFSA application. Check the deadlines in your state and keep track so you don’t submit your application late.
- Accept the offer. Once you have been offered aid, assess your financial situation and accept the aid that works best for you. For example, you might accept any grants but reject loans if you can afford paying upfront.
- Maintain eligibility. The type of aid you choose might require you to meet and maintain certain academic standards. Take note of the terms of your aid to make sure you can still receive it.
- Make a payment plan. To avoid interest, try to pay your student loans as soon as possible. Create a payment plan to make sure you’re paying a reasonable amount that you can handle.
Best Data Analytics Scholarships
- Computer Science GAANN Program | Amount: Up to $34,000. This fellowship from Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) is awarded to students who have an excellent academic record. To be eligible for this scholarship, students must have plans to pursue their career goals in teaching or research.
- ACM SIGHPC Computational & Data Science Fellowships | Amount: $15,000 per year. The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group on High-Performance Computing (SIGHPC) has created these fellowships in partnership with Intel. The program is targeted at women or students from underrepresented backgrounds who are pursuing master’s or doctoral degrees.
- Visto Bill Caspare Memorial Diversity Scholarship | Amount: $10,000. The Visto Bill Caspare Memorial Diversity Scholarship is aimed at undergraduate and graduate students interested in data science careers related to new media and digital advertising. It is for applicants who are Black, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, multiracial, or LGBTQ+.
- Acxiom Diversity Scholarship Program | Amount: $5,000. Acxiom is a company that focuses on data analytics and customer experiences. This scholarship offers $5,000 each to 10 eligible students who are interested in studying computer and data science. Recipients also have the opportunity to complete an internship at Acxiom.
Cheapest Undergraduate Data Analytics Schools
The cheapest undergraduate data analytics schools include Northcentral Technical College, Community College of Allegheny County, Wilmington University, Hocking College, and Sinclair College. They offer both Associate Degrees in Data Analytics and Bachelor’s Degrees in Data Dnalytics.
Most Affordable Data Analytics Associate Degree Programs
- Northcentral Technical College | Associate Degree in Data Analytics | $9,691 total. Students in this program will learn how to map, interpret, and use data. Students will practice on real-life datasets and learn about data-specific programming languages, machine learning, Internet of Things (IoT), and automation.
- Community College of Allegheny County | Associate of Science in Data Analytics Technology | $122/credit (Allegheny County residents); $244/credit (in state); $366/ credit (out of state). This associate degree program is a great choice for students who want to transfer to a Bachelor’s Degree in Data Analytics. Students will learn how to identify patterns and relationships in large datasets, resolve business analytics questions, and make data-driven business decisions.
- Wilmington University | Associate of Science in Data Analytics | $1,197/course. Wilmington University’s online associate degree program teaches the foundational information you need before you start a bachelor’s degree program. The degree gets students ready for jobs such as business intelligence analyst, data technician, and operations analyst.
- Hocking College | Associate of Science in Data Analytics | Tuition varies by course. Students in this program will get hands-on experience with resource allocation, complex problem-solving, cost and benefit solutions, and communication. The tuition is different for every course, so you only pay necessary costs, which makes this a good program to save money.
- Sinclair College | Associate of Applied Science in Data Analytics | $136/per credit (Montgomery County residents); $183/credit (in state); $339/credit (out of state). This program teaches students about business intelligence and data analysis solutions. Students will learn how to work with data with versatile technical skills that can be used across many fields. Some subjects include business analytics, data modeling, Structured Query Language (SQL), and data visualization.
Most Affordable Data Analytics Bachelor’s Degree Programs
- Miami Dade College | Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics | $15,587 total. In this program, students will learn how to use machine learning, statistical programming, and visualization tools to resolve business analytics problems. By the time they graduate, students will be able to make recommendations that support tactical and strategic business objectives.
- Drexel University | Bachelor in Data Science and Analytics | $18,865/term. The goal of this program is to teach students how to make sense of large amounts of data. Students will learn the in-demand skills they need to become data scientists, quantitative analysts, and business analytics experts.
- Eastern Michigan University | Bachelor of Science in Data Science and Analytics | $580/credit. This program at East Michigan University offers training in mathematics, quantitative skills, programming, and problem-solving. Students in this data science program will learn everything they need to start a career.
- Arizona State University | Bachelor of Science in Business Data Analytics | $552/credit. Students in this program learn the organizational and technical skills required for data gathering, integration and modeling tasks, and data asset analysis. The courses include data warehousing, dimensional modeling, and big data analytics.
- Alfred University | Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics | $36,444/year. The Bachelor of Science program at Alfred University will teach students how to make data-driven, effective business decisions. The flexibility of this degree allows students to add minors or double majors.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Cheapest Graduate Schools for Data Analytics
Some of the cheapest graduate schools for data analytics are the University of Central Florida, Kennesaw State University, Georgia Institute of Technology, and Dakota State University. We’ll look further into the programs they offer below.
Most Affordable Schools for Master’s Degrees in Data Analytics
- New Mexico State University | Master of Data Analytics | $288/ credit (residents); $360 (non-residents). This program provides students with expert skills in data management and analysis. Students also learn about computational and statistical thinking and expand their understanding of computer systems.
- Kennesaw State University | Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Analytics | $296/credit (in state); $1,066/credit (out of state). This professional degree program at KSU prepares students to use cutting-edge applied statistical methods. Students who graduate from this program will be qualified to work in sectors like business, industry, government, and health services.
- University of Maryland Global Campus | Master of Science in Data Analytics | $694/credit. The online program is provides students with hands-on experience with various analytical tools. Students will learn how to manage and manipulate data, create data visualizations, and make strategic data-driven recommendations as they pertain to business analytics.
- Georgia Institute of Technology | Master of Science in Analytics | $1,217/credit (in state); $1,689/credit (out of state). Georgia Tech’s Master of Science prepares students to enter the workforce. You will gain knowledge and learn tools related to computing, business, statistics, and operations so you can start a data science career.
- Davenport University | Master of Science in Data Analytics | $959/credit hour. The Master of Science in Data Analytics at Davenport University helps students to develop expertise data analytics. Relevant skills include data mining, predictive modeling, cloud computing, statistical modeling, and data warehousing. This affordable master’s degree is a great choice for career-oriented students.
Most Affordable PhDs in Data Analytics Universities
- Kennesaw State University | PhD in Analytics and Data Science | Students receive a tuition waiver and research stipend. In this program, students take part in research with faculty who have extensive field experience. Graduates will be able to translate and facilitate new innovative research and analyze structured and unstructured data improve decision-making across industries.
- University of South Florida | PhD in Big Data Analytics | $6,410/year (in state); $17,324/year (out of state). The program helps students explore new systems and technologies for processing data and information. It also includes a focus on the human and social implications of information and technology. PhD students who want to conduct social research should get this business analytics degree.
- University of Central Florida | PhD in Big Data Analytics | $370/credit hour (in state); $1,194/credit hour (out of state). The program provides with the foundational tools they need to work with the major methodologies of big data analytics. These include predictive analytics, data mining, text analytics, and statistical analysis.
- Indiana University | PhD in Data Science | $312/credit hour (in state); $1,178/credit hour (out of state). Students in this program are taught how to develop innovative solutions to data research problems. Along with a dissertation, students will take courses such as informatics research design, biostatistics, and algorithm design.
- Dakota State University | PhD in Information Systems | $374/credit hour (South Dakota residents); $567/credit hour (Minnesota residents); $663/credit hour (non-residents). This program prepares students for careers in research, teaching, and corporate industries. Students will learn about the productive application of information systems and information technology, including data analytics.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Best Online PhD Programs
How to Choose a Good and Affordable Data Analytics School
Each data analytics degree program varies and prepares students for their careers in a different way. There are some factors that you should consider above others when choosing a data analytics school. These include the cost of tuition and fees, the school’s reputation, and the available learning formats.
The cost of tuition and fees is undoubtedly an important factor when looking at data analytics schools. Along with tuition, expenses could include books and supplies, housing, and food, which makes the average cost of college high. An online data science program will most likely be more affordable.
Reputable schools are accredited and proven to provide high-quality education. In most cases, employers trust applicants who have degrees from high-ranking schools. In addition, a letter of recommendation is more valuable if a professor or peer is from a reputable school.
Different learning formats appeal to different students. You can study part-time, full-time, online, or in person, or a combination of these factors. Students who have jobs, for example, might choose to study fully online to accommodate their career obligations and responsibilities. This is why the most affordable online colleges are so popular.
Tips for Saving Money While Attending Data Analytics School
- Create a budget. Make a list of all the things you’ll need to spend money on each month and decide how much of your money you want to allocate. Then, stick as closely to your budget as possible and avoid unnecessary purchases. There are free budgeting apps to help you keep track of your spending.
- Buy secondhand books. Instead of buying your textbooks brand new, try to find secondhand shops or students selling their used books. Some textbooks can cost up to $400, so finding cheaper copies is key if you want to save money.
- Find free resources. Make use of the free academic resources that your school provides, such as the library. Even an online school will likely offer free resources like tutoring and writing assistance.
- Apply for scholarships and grants. Find out what scholarships and grants are available to you and apply for any that you are eligible for. You can find scholarships that are specific to data analytics programs or to your school.
- Live at home. If possible, you can save money by living at home. Paying for on-campus housing can be expensive, especially when paired with food and utilities. Living with family can give students opportunities to save and prepare for the future.
Cheapest Online Schools for Data Analytics
Some of the cheapest online schools for data analytics include the University of the Potomac, Southern New Hampshire University, and Arizona State University. Read below for a closer look at the different institutions and what each online school has to offer to its students.
|University of the Potomac
|Southern New Hampshire University
|Colorado State University Global
|Arizona State University
|Western Governors University
Most Affordable Online Data Analytics Bachelor’s Programs
- University of the Potomac | Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics & Management | $240/credit. This program helps students build skills in information systems, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and data graphics and visualization. Potential careers for graduates include business analyst, data analyst, and marketing analyst.
- Southern New Hampshire University | Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics | $320/credit. The online bachelor’s degree at Southern New Hampshire University provides students with the tools they need to start careers in the field. They will work on real-world projects with the guidance of data analytics experts.
- Arizona State University | Bachelor of Science in Business Data Analytics | $552/credit. Students in this program will learn how to extract useful information and context from data. They will also be prepared to use automated digital tools to handle, manage, and transform data to help informed decision-making.
- Syracuse University Global | Bachelor of Professional Studies in Applied Data and Predictive Analytics | $695/credit. This Bachelor of Professional Studies is a unique program that teaches students broad skills in information systems, quantitative and qualitative analysis, data graphics and visualization. The courses are only eight weeks long, and they are flexible enough to suit any student.
- Western Governors University | Bachelor of Science in Data Analytics and Data Management | $3,625/six-month term. This degree program provides a good foundational knowledge of database management and other data analytics skills. With a focus on data-driven decision-making, this degree program is affordable and flexible.
Most Affordable Online Data Analytics Master’s Programs
- University of North Texas| Master of Science in Advanced Data Analytics | $450/credit. This online master’s program is an accelerated option that is offered in eight-week sessions. Students can start in the fall, spring, or summer semester. The accelerated online course format allows students to complete their degrees in as little as 12 months.
- Colorado State University Global | Master of Science in Data Analytics | $500/credit. This Master of Science in Data Analytics teaches students how to use business intelligence and data analytics for informed decision-making. Online students learn about core business functions such as accounting, finance, logistics, management, and strategy through the application data analytics.
- Southern New Hampshire University | Master of Science in Data Analytics | $627/credit. Students in this online affordable master’s program will study the process of analyzing data. They will use advanced statistical techniques and tools like SQL and Python programming. By the time they graduate, students will be able to apply computational, analytical, and modeling skills in potential careers.
- Western Governors University | Master’s in Data Analytics | $3,940/six-month term. This flexible master’s program focuses on both theory and application so students can work on real-world projects in data analytics. The program also allows students to choose which datasets they want to work with to customize their projects.
- San José State University | Master of Science in Data Analytics | $2,082/unit. Students pursuing this online master’s degree will learn how to apply analytics to solve real-world problems. They are also taught how to build portfolios of data science projects so they can apply for data analytics jobs.
Will Attending an Online Data Analytics School Save Me Money?
Yes, attending an online data analytics school will save you money. This is because you don’t have to relocate or pay for accommodation on campus. You can also avoid commuting and work from anywhere in the world. Online programs in data analytics are the ideal way to get your bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Benefits of Online Data Analytics Programs
- No relocation. An online program allows you to study from anywhere, which means you don’t have to worry about relocating. Living at home or in your own apartment while you study can avoid stress and extra costs.
- No travel or commute. Another way in which online programs are cost-effective is that they don’t require you to spend money on travel. You don’t have to take the bus or subway to school, and you don’t have to drive, either.
- Personalized learning environment. When you study online, you can choose your own learning environment. This is beneficial for people who retain information more easily when they’re in a comfortable and familiar space. There are degree options available for people who want to study synchronously or asynchronously.
- Fewer distractions. When you are around your peers in a classroom setting, it is easy to get distracted. Studying from home could help keep you focused, especially if you create your own learning space at home.
- Self-paced learning. Self-paced courses allow you to take in information at a pace that you are comfortable with. In group settings such as in-person classes, you may find it hard to keep the same pace as the professor and other students. Asynchronous learning can help you learn at your own pace.
Highest-Paying Data Analytics Careers
|Data Analytics Job
|Data Analytics Degree
|Computer and Information Research Scientist
|Computer Network Architect
|Information Security Analyst
|Computer Systems Analyst
Best Data Analytics Jobs Explained
The best data analytics jobs show promising projection in terms of job opportunities, and they also pay a high salary. These jobs include computer and information research analyst, computer network architect, information security analyst, and database administrator. Read below to learn more about prospective careers for people with data analytics degrees.
Data Analytics Schools Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Most Affordable Data Analytics Schools
We chose the most affordable data analytics colleges based on tuition and general cost information from the schools’ official websites, the US Department of Education’s database of accredited schools, and the US Department of Education’s College Scorecard tool.
Additional Reading About Data Analytics
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/fastest-online-data-analytics-degree/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/data-analytics-certifications/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/data-analytics-certificates/
Cheapest Data Analytics Schools FAQ
Yes, cheap data analytics schools are easier to get into than expensive ones. Many of the schools on the list above have open enrollment. However, this is not always the case, and affordability does not necessarily speak to quality of education.
Yes, many cheap data analytics schools are reputable. Before you choose a school, make sure it is accredited and provides high-quality education. Many cheap data analytics programs are not reputable, so do your research first.
No, a data analytics certification program is not as good as a degree. While a certification is a good option, it is usually meant for people who are experts in the field. A degree program is much more in-depth.
Yes, the type of degree that you get matters, as far as your career goals and path are concerned. Different degree programs offer different focuses and specialization options. That’s why it’s important to pick a degree that will make it easier to get the job you want.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.