Salisbury University (SU) is among the top ten most prestigious universities in Maryland. The school began in 1925, and it has maintained a rich reputation over the years. However, many applicants and potential students still wonder if Salisbury University is a good school. To answer, we’ve prepared this Salisbury University review.
Salisbury University is an exceptional school, enrolling thousands of local and international students. If you’re interested in pursuing a degree here, this guide is for you. It will teach you about Salisbury University costs, rankings, and accreditation, as well as the academic programs it offers. You will also learn what Salisbury University is known for and whether it’s the right fit for you.
All About Salisbury University
Salisbury University was founded in 1925. It is part of the University System of Maryland, and it had a total undergraduate enrollment of 7,150 students for the fall of 2020, according to US News. It is known for its small classroom sizes, with an average of 23 students, and has a student-to-faculty ratio of 15:1.
SU has a strong academic offer, with 46 undergraduate majors, 15 master’s degree programs, and two doctoral programs. The undergraduate and graduate programs are divided into five different schools and colleges.
Where Is Salisbury University Located?
Salisbury University is located in the city of Salisbury, on the eastern shore of Maryland. The beautiful campus is comprised of 75 buildings spread across 183 acres. The campus is home to a vibrant campus community where you’ll be able to enjoy lots of activities. There is a dedicated campus police force that helps maintain campus safety.
Is Salisbury University Accredited?
Yes, Salisbury University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. This means the institution has been vetted by an accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the US Department of Education. Accreditation is a testament to this institution’s standards of excellence in education.
Is Salisbury University Legit?
Yes, Salisbury University is legit. It is an accredited institution with a trajectory of almost 100 years. It is ranked among the top public universities in the North, according to US News. It is also ranked on their list of the best value universities in the North. With over 90 clubs, you will surely find an extracurricular activity or two to complement your academic experience.
Salisbury University Student Reviews
Salisbury University reviews are a great way to assess how current and former students feel about this school, from its academics and community engagement to campus life and extracurricular activities. One student who provided an academic program review on GradReports stated that “the curriculum is challenging but prepares you for real-world opportunities.”
Other student reviews praise the school for its open and welcoming environment, its clean campus “with water bottle fill stations in every building and solar panels in the parking lots,” and the mid-sized classes that allow for close interactions with teachers and students alike.
Salisbury University Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
This university does not have any reviews or complaints listed on the Better Business Bureau website at this time.
Salisbury University Rankings
Salisbury University rankings are a great way to get a sense of the quality of the education and student life at this institution. Keep reading to find out how SU ranks among other universities in the country in the US News & World Report Ranking and the Times Higher Education Ranking.
Salisbury University US News & World Report Ranking
Salisbury University appears on several US News rankings. This institution is listed as #62 in the Regional Universities North list, #23 in the Best Colleges for Veterans list, #33 in the Best Value Schools list, and #14 in the Top Public Schools list. It also ranks #163 on the Top Performers on Social Mobility list.
Salisbury University Times Higher Education Ranking
Salisbury University is listed in the 501-600th range in the Times Higher Education US College Rankings for 2022. The Times Higher Education ranking takes into account a school’s performance in different areas, including teaching, research, citations, industry income, and international outlook.
Salisbury University Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate for Salisbury University students is 72 percent, according to data presented by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). A high graduation rate usually indicates that students receive the support they need throughout their studies to graduate successfully.
Salisbury University Admissions
If you’re considering submitting an application for admission, make sure to cover your bases. A formal application should include your official high school transcripts, one letter of recommendation, and a personal statement explaining why you’ve chosen a particular program of study.
Salisbury University is a test-optional institution, so prospective students are not obligated to include SAT or ACT scores, though you can add them as part of a strong application. You should also check in case there are any specific program requirements you should include.
Salisbury University Acceptance Rate
The SU acceptance rate was 86 percent for the fall of 2021 period. Out of those, 18 percent actually enrolled to begin their studies at this institution. A high acceptance rate such as this means you have a very solid chance of being admitted into SU with a strong application, so don’t be afraid to give it a shot.
Will You Get Into Salisbury University?
Yes, if you submit a strong application with a solid recommendation, a killer personal statement, and good SAT scores, you have a very high chance of getting into Salisbury University. Make sure to reach out to admissions counselors and check any specific program requirements to ensure you include everything you need for a successful application.
How to Apply to Salisbury University
- Choose a specific program of study. Make sure you do your research and choose a program that fits your interests and career goals. You can try to talk to faculty or a current student to get a sense of how the program works. Then you can begin the admissions process.
- Gather your documentation. Make sure you have your transcripts and letter of recommendation ready to submit. Check with the admissions department to make sure you include everything you need. If you did well on your SAT test, you can submit your results as well.
- Write a strong personal statement. A fundamental piece of the admissions process is writing a strong personal statement. This is where you discuss your career goals, your passion for your chosen subject, and the reasons why you should be admitted. Make sure to spend enough time writing a strong statement to back up your application.
- Submit your formal application. Once you’ve gathered all the pieces, make sure you submit your application before the deadline. Check the school’s website or contact the admissions department to ensure you submit it in a timely manner.
- Wait for a decision. Once you’re done, all you need to do is wait. You can spend that time learning about opportunities for freshman students on campus and getting ready for life as a college student.
Salisbury University Cost
|Salisbury University Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$10,188|
|Salisbury University Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$20,458|
|Salisbury University Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$10,529|
|Salisbury University Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$15,765|
|Salisbury University Books and Supplies||$1,300|
|Salisbury On-Campus Room and Board||$12,500|
|Salisbury Off-Campus Room and Board||$12,500|
This information was obtained from NCES. Keep in mind these are only estimates and not inclusive of any institutional or academic department scholarships available at SU, or other types of financial aid you may be receiving from the state or other organizations.
Cost of Living in Maryland
The cost of living in Maryland is higher than the national average. According to PayScale, the cost of living in Baltimore, the largest city by population in the state, is seven percent higher than the national average. However, there is no data specific to Salisbury.
The state of Maryland benefits from its strategic position. It has ample commercial activity centered around its many ports, and provides technical and administrative services to various government agencies, a result of this state’s proximity to Washington DC.
Salisbury University Financial Aid
According to data presented by the NCES, the University of Salisbury awarded a total of $32,743,496 in grant and scholarship aid to all undergraduate students during the 2020-2021 period. Undergraduate students also received a total of $19,578,591 in federal student loans during that same period.
Salisbury University offers a wide variety of scholarships to students, with amounts ranging from a few hundred to several thousand dollars. Make sure to explore all your options, as there are many scholarships that you’ll be able to apply to depending on your major, demographics, and more. Below are some of the scholarship options offered by this institution.
Salisbury University Scholarships
- University Orchard Scholarship. This scholarship offers a one-time stipend of $10,000. In order to apply, students must submit a one-page essay discussing their impact on campus.
- STEM Scholarships. This school offers 16 scholarships of $5,000 for STEM students. To be considered, applicants must submit an essay, have a minimum GPA of 3.30, and score 1250 or 26 on the SAT or ACT, respectively.
- Richard A. Henson School of Science and Technology Scholarship for Incoming Freshman. This scholarship is awarded to three incoming freshman students annually. If selected, they can receive $3,000 to put towards their studies.
- The Kimmerly Messick Scholarship. This scholarship is available to students of the Perdue School of Business, who are eligible to receive $2,500 to $5,000 if successful in their application. Students with entrepreneurial interests will be prioritized.
- The Victor H. Laws Jr. Scholarship. This scholarship is designed for full-time pre-law students. The amount awarded can be up to $10,000, and can be renewed if funds are available and students maintain a strong GPA.
Salisbury University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
According to data presented by College Scorecard, the median earnings of former Salisbury University students are $53,388. Data shows that 76 percent of students go on to earn more than the average high school graduate.
According to Salisbury University’s own statistics regarding graduate salaries and outcomes, 95 percent of students are satisfied with the preparation for employment they received during their studies. In addition, 92 percent of graduates were employed full time or part time within a year of graduation.
Salisbury University Notable Alumni
The list of Salisbury University notable alumni includes Frank Perdue, who was president and CEO of Perdue Farms, a well-known chicken-producing company in the US. The Perdue Business School was named after him. Other notable entries include names related to sports.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Salisbury University Campus Life
As a college student, you will surely enjoy being a part of the Salisbury Seagulls. There is a wide variety of clubs on campus, as well as sports and other activities that you can participate in. These student activities allow you to meet students from other areas, and, hopefully, make friends for life. Salisbury University also offers a robust Greek life to students.
The Office of Housing and Residence Life was created to ensure campus safety and to support the vibrant community. This organization on campus helps foster inclusion and diversity, supports all types of students as they navigate the challenges of dorm life, and helps maintain a clean and beautiful campus the whole community can enjoy. Freshmen are required to live on campus during their first year.
Salisbury University Academics
Salisbury University has varied academic offers. Students can choose from over 60 undergraduate programs, as well as master’s and doctoral degrees. They also offer a wide variety of minors and certificate programs for non-degree-seeking students.
This school is divided into five schools and colleges. The table below provides information about each one, as well as the types of programs offered.
Salisbury University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|College of Health and Human Services||Nursing, Health Sciences and Human Services, Social Work|
|Fulton School of Liberal Arts||Art, Communications, Environmental Studies, History, Philosophy, Modern Languages, Political Science, Psychology|
|Henson School of Science and Technology||Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography and Geosciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physics|
|Perdue School of Business||Accounting and Legal Studies, Economics and Finance, Management, Marketing|
|Seidel School of Education||Early and Elementary Education, Secondary and Physical Education, Literacy Studies|
Salisbury University Faculty
The Salisbury University faculty is comprised of 435 full-time members. Both staff and faculty members act as academic advisors to guide students through their programs. Teachers come from a variety of backgrounds and have obtained their degrees from prestigious institutions such as Yale and Syracuse.
This institution is student-centered, meaning it aims to keep class numbers small to maximize the opportunity for personalized learning. According to statistics on their website, the average number of students in an undergraduate lecture is 24, while the student-to-faculty ratio is 16:1.
Popular Salisbury University Majors
SU offers majors in a variety of subjects, from art and philosophy to physics and medical sciences. With this, students have lots of opportunities to pursue their interests. Keep reading to find out more about some of the most popular Salisbury University majors.
Salisbury University Nursing Major
The nursing program at SU was designed to help prepare professionals for caring and comforting patients in need. Nursing students enjoy close interactions with their faculty, excellent clinical facilities to practice their skills, and three major tracks to choose from according to their interests and career goals.
Salisbury University Nursing Jobs
- Registered nurse. Registered nurses are licensed professionals who provide vital patient care. They work under nurse practitioners and take care of tasks such as providing medications, registering patient statuses, and various administrative duties.
- Nurse midwife. A nurse midwife assists women through the process of giving birth. They are part of the gynecology and obstetrics field and are trained to provide prenatal, postnatal, and menopausal care.
- Nurse anesthetists. Nurse anesthetists are in charge of monitoring patients during surgery and assisting anesthesiologists as they administer anesthesia.
Salisbury University Biology Major
The biology program at SU stands out because it provides students with opportunities to conduct research in their freshman year. Program requirements include creating a strong research track record. The program offers six tracks, including general biology, biomedical science, biotechnology, environmental biology, secondary education, and a dual degree track in biology and environmental science.
Salisbury University Biology Jobs
- Biochemist. The job of a biochemist is to study the chemical, physical, and biological principles and processes of living things on Earth. They typically work in lab settings.
- Pharmacist. A pharmacist is responsible for filling prescriptions and dispensing them according to the indications of a physician.
- Microbiologist. Microbiologists work on analyzing cells, bacteria, and microorganisms in general to understand their behavior, processes, and possible uses in medicine and other fields.
Salisbury University Social Work Major
The social work degree program at SU equips professionals to provide support to others and create a real impact in their communities. Program applicants should be ready for a combination of theoretical learning and practical experience based on principles of human rights and social justice.
Salisbury University Social Work Jobs
- Adoption service counselor. An adoption service counselor helps families navigate the adoption process. They also advocate for children who are up for adoption and provide counseling services to them.
- Patient advocate. A patient advocate plays the key role of enabling communication between patients and their healthcare providers. They ensure patients are capable of making informed decisions about their healthcare.
- Psychiatric social worker. Psychiatric social workers provide therapy sessions for individuals, couples, and families, as well as hold space for peer support groups.
Salisbury University Management Major
The management major was designed to teach students through real business management projects that allow them to solidify their skills. Program applicants should emphasize their love for efficiency and getting things done to successfully apply to this program. They will learn how to set goals, formulate strategies, motivate their teams, and monitor performance.
Salisbury University Management Jobs
- Small business owner. Small business owners provide specialized products or services to a specific target audience. They are key players in their local communities.
- Human resources administrator. A human resources administrator is in charge of managing employee records, updating databases, and providing information and support to staff in an organization.
- Job analyst. Job analysts are experts who support human resources departments by conducting research jobs and designing classification systems that help organizations keep track of their workforce.
Salisbury University Economics Major
The economics major at SU teaches students about the market and the reasons why people make certain choices. There is a heavy research component to this degree program. Students are expected to apply economic principles learned in the classroom to real-world scenarios.
Salisbury University Education Jobs
- Financial analyst. A financial analyst supports organizations by analyzing their financial data and using it to design strategies.
- Economist. The role of an economist is to predict the economic behavior of specific populations through their analysis of market and financial trends.
- Personal financial advisor. A personal financial advisor provides their services to individuals. They leverage their financial knowledge to help their clients make informed decisions about their finances.
Is Salisbury University Worth It?
Yes, Salisbury University is worth it. This member of the University System of Maryland offers a wide variety of academic programs, clubs on campus that suit every student on campus, and a great student-to-faculty ratio that ensures you can get answers to all your questions during class and develop a close relationship with your teachers. With a wide variety of programs, you can get an amazing education in diverse fields.
Salisbury University Review FAQs
Yes, Salisbury is a good university. It is well ranked in several US News lists, has strong reviews from alumni online, and is regarded as a solid member of the University System of Maryland. It offers a wide variety of majors through its five schools and colleges.
Yes, in general students regard Salisbury University as a good place to study and have a great deal of school pride. Some of the reasons include its small class sizes, beautiful campus and facilities, and variety of extracurricular activities offered through its close to 100 clubs. Many different types of students can find value at SU.
Salisbury University offers 46 undergraduate majors, including economics, marketing, education, communication, journalism, nursing, biology, social work, and more. It also offers 15 master’s degrees and two doctorates.
The Salisbury University acceptance rate was 86 percent for the fall of 2021 period, according to data published by the National Center for Education Statistics. Out of that total, 18 percent completed the admissions process and enrolled in a program.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.