Southwestern University is a private, non-profit school with a beautiful campus in Texas that’s affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Sound appealing? You’ll find all the information you need to make an informed decision about your future in this Southwestern University review.
Southwestern University rankings tell a story of an institution with an excellent reputation. In this article, we’ll cover what makes Southwestern University stand out and answer questions about Southwestern University’s cost of attendance, popular programs, faculty, and facilities.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
All About Southwestern University
Founded in 1840, Southwestern University is the oldest higher education institution in Texas. It was first known as the Texas University, but it was renamed Southwestern University in 1875. Today it’s a university with a small student body of around 1,500 students. Southwestern is a green college, and it was the first in Texas to switch to using 100 percent wind energy.
Southwestern University currently only offers undergraduate degrees, and no graduate programs are available. Humanities, fine arts, social sciences, and natural sciences make up the majority of the undergraduate courses. It also has preprofessional pathway programs in engineering, law, and healthcare.
It is a diverse university that accepts more than 30 percent of students from underrepresented groups annually. With a student-to-faculty ratio of 12 to one, Southwestern University gives students the chance to interact closely with highly-qualified faculty. There are approximately 100 student organizations that host a wide range of events on campus.
Where Is Southwestern University Located?
Southwestern University is located in Georgetown, Texas. The university has a campus size of 701 acres and is only 30 minutes north of Austin. From theaters to a swimming pool, the campus is full of academic and athletic activities and clubs for students. Although almost all programs are offered on-campus, the institution provides virtual tours and sessions for students.
Is Southwestern University Accredited?
Yes, Southwestern University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges, which serves as the regional accrediting body for the Southern states. The accreditation verifies that Southwestern University provides quality education that meets the high accreditation standards for regional accreditation.
Is Southwestern University Legit?
Yes, Southwestern University is legit. Despite being a relatively small institution, it has managed to preserve a strong academic reputation in the country. Southwestern University has been in operation for 182 years and has grown significantly over that time. It has a high level of student satisfaction, as seen by its average freshman retention rate of 86 percent, according to Data USA.
Southwestern University Student Reviews
Most student reviews of Southwestern University are positive. The relationships between students and professors, in particular, make this school special. Due to small class sizes, professors get to know each student by name and can give students individual attention. Many students do research with their professors, and some get published in academic journals.
Southwestern students have reported that Southwestern University has an academically challenging environment. The rigorous academics will require exceptional hard work and time management skills from students. The school offers opportunities for professional development through its Center for Career & Professional Development.
Southwestern University Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
Southwestern University is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and BBB does not have any reviews for the institution. There have been no formal customer complaints made about Southwestern University to the BBB.
Southwestern University Rankings
Southwestern University is among the leading institutions in the United States. Overall, Southwest University’s rankings are high from a number of respected academic rating organizations, including US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. Given the importance of these statistics, we have included the rankings in our Southwestern University review below.
Southwestern University US News & World Report Ranking
Southwestern University is ranked as the top national liberal arts institution in Texas and as the 98th best national liberal arts college in the US by US News & World Report. This ranking only considers academic quality, social life, athletics, and student reviews are not considered while ranking a school.
Southwestern University Times Higher Education Ranking
Southwestern University was ranked 238th in Times Higher Education US college rankings in 2022. However, it received a better ranking of 205 in 2021. Times Higher Education conducts several student surveys to collect information about academics, research, teaching, and impact.
Southwestern University Graduation Rate
Southwestern University has an overall graduation rate of 74 percent, according to the National Center of Education Statistics (NCES). This is a relatively high graduation rate, which signifies high student satisfaction and high-quality academic programs with adequate student support.
Southwestern University Admissions
Southwestern University accepts both the Common Application and an institutional application for incoming first-year students. Applicants are required to submit their school transcripts, letters of recommendation, and high school grades. The ACT or SAT test scores are optional at Southwestern University.
The admission office makes its decisions based on the academic performance of students. The admissions staff schedule interviews with candidates and dig deeper into their extracurricular activities and writing samples. The application deadline is the first Tuesday in February, and students get their results by the first Tuesday in April.
Southwestern University Acceptance Rate
Southwestern University had an acceptance rate of 51 percent in 2021. This is an average acceptance rate, meaning the school is somewhat selective but not impossible to get into. About one out of every two applicants will get accepted to Southwestern University.
Will You Get Into Southwestern University?
You can get into Southwestern University if you have a strong academic record. The university’s acceptance rate has increased significantly in recent years, indicating that it is willing to accept a greater number of applicants each year. Prospective students can improve their chances of getting into college by showing off their critical thinking skills and acing the interview process.
How to Apply to Southwestern University
- Collect the required documents. You must have all the required documents ready to submit with your application. Southwestern University asks for your official high school transcripts, personal statement, and letters of recommendation.
- Prepare your application essay. Southwestern University asks students to submit a personal statement to introduce them to the admissions team. Use this opportunity to show off your writing skills and discuss a unique passion, goal, or motivation.
- Fill out the application form. You can access the institutional application or the Common Application online. You’ll need to put in your name, email address, phone number, and date of birth, as well as other basic information about yourself. Make sure you have used the correct spelling by proofreading the form.
- Submit your application. Your application should be submitted to the university with the relevant documentation attached. Southwestern University doesn’t charge an application fee.
- Await your response. You can create an application account or log in to an existing one to check the status of your application. If you have applied for Early Decision, you will receive your results as early as December, and if you have applied through regular decision, your results will arrive in early April.
Southwestern University Cost
|Expense||Southwestern University Cost|
|Southwestern University Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$47,000|
|Southwestern University Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$47,000|
|Southwestern University Books and Supplies||$1,300|
|Southwestern University On-Campus Room and Board||$12,000|
|Southwestern University Off-Campus Room and Board||$12,620|
Southwestern University is a somewhat expensive school. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average tuition and fees for private, non-profit four-year schools was $36,700 in 2020. The cost of tuition and fees at Southwestern University is more than $10,000 more costly than the national average for private, non-profit universities per year.
Current students at Southwestern University pay close to $57,000 per year when you add up tuition, fees, and living expenses. It would be difficult for a student from a low or middle-class family to afford the Southwestern University cost of attendance without financial aid. Fortunately, all students receive financial aid from the school.
Cost of Living in Georgetown, Texas
According to PayScale, the cost of living in Georgetown, Texas, is 4 percent lower than the national average. Housing expenses, utility, and grocery prices are also lower than the national average. Overall, it is a reasonably priced area to live a comfortable life. However, Georgetown, Texas, has slightly higher transportation and healthcare costs than other US locations.
In 2021, Georgetown had a total population of 75,420 people. Although it is a small town, it is close to Austin, Texas. From manufacturing to creative design businesses, you will find many different industries in this town.
Southwestern University Financial Aid
Southwestern University offers a generous amount of financial aid. According to NCES, 100 percent of full-time undergraduate students receive financial aid from the institution. In the academic year 2020-2021, Southwestern University granted a total amount of $9,700,600 in financial aid to the students through grants and scholarships.
To apply for financial aid, students need to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The regular decision financial aid deadline is March 1 for first-year students and July 1 for fall transfer students. It’s better to submit your financial aid application as early as possible.
Southwestern University Scholarships
- General Merit Scholarships. Southwestern University considers all students for merit scholarships at the time of admission. It is awarded to students according to class rank or high school GPA. The scholarship amount is between $15,000 and $33,000 per year.
- Brown Scholarship. This award is a scholarship of $36,000 per year, which is the largest scholarship at Southwestern. The award is open to students who rank in the top 5 percent of their high school class or who have a GPA of 3.8 or above.
- Bishop Ernest T. Dixon, Jr. Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to gifted African-American, Hispanic/Latinx, and Native American students. Students in the top 10 percent of their high school class or who have a minimum 3.7 GPA are eligible for the scholarship. Eligible students must complete an interview experience by early February.
- Garey Scholarship. This scholarship gives students up to $5,000 to fund two non-classroom educational opportunities, like a study abroad program or unpaid internship.
- Sarofim Fine Arts Scholarships. This scholarship program is open to students wiTH fine arts majors. Students need to submit a portfolio or have an audition to apply.
Southwestern University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
Southwestern University graduates earn a median salary of $57,053, according to College Scorecard, which is about $10,000 more than the national average. The Center for Career & Professional Development reported that 74.3 percent of graduates from the class of 2021 at Southwestern University are employed, and 22.6 percent are pursuing a postgraduate degree.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
The Center for Career & Professional Development also reported that 58.3 percent of graduates are working in their fields of interest. The highest-paid graduate from the class of 2021 earns an annual salary of $95,000. To assist students in finding work in their selected fields, the school encourages community-engaged learning and real-world learning experiences.
Southwestern University Notable Alumni
Southwestern University has produced talented politicians, lawyers, coaches, and writers. These graduates are not only leading a successful life but have achieved recognition in their respective professions. Here are a few Southwestern University noteworthy alumni:
- Stanley Hauerwas (theologian, ethicist, and public intellectual)
- Robert Homer Simpson (meteorologist and hurricane specialist)
- Pete Sessions (American politician)
- Bill Engvall (comedian and actor)
- Jim Gibbons (American politician, aviator, and geologist)
Southwestern University Campus Life
Southwestern University has a beautiful campus in Central Texas. The campus offers a variety of facilities, including a swimming pool, recreation center, academic hall, faculty research spaces, and two live performance theaters. Students have lots of opportunities to get involved in student clubs, which are a big feature of social life on campus.
Besides academic learning, Southwestern University offers multiple student organizations so that current students may engage outside of the classroom. The organizations cater to students with a wide variety of interests. Athletic students can join sports clubs, students who like to write can participate in literary publications, and students can live the greek life in fraternities and sororities.
Southwestern University Academics
Southwestern University offers more than 35 majors and over 40 minors. The institution’s primary goal is academic learning, and it offers students a top-notch learning environment through rigorous teaching and collaborative research. Southwestern University trains students to launch successful careers in law, fine arts, business, and teaching.
Southwestern University doesn’t have any graduate programs, but it provides excellent resources and guidance to current students on how to get into the top graduate programs for their specialties. Many alumni have been accepted into advanced degrees like master’s and PhD degree programs at prestigious colleges, including the University of Texas and New York University.
Southwestern University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|Humanities Department||Anthropology major, English major, Philosophy major|
|Natural Sciences Department||Biochemistry major, Computer Science major, Environmental Studies major|
|Sarofim School of Fine Arts||Architecture & Design Studies minor, Art History major, Music major|
|Social Sciences Department||Business major, Economics major, Political Science major|
Southwestern University Faculty
The faculty of Southwestern University are highly skilled scholars and excellent teachers. Southwestern has an average class size of 19 students and a student-to-faculty ratio of 12 to one, which promotes a collaborative class setting and allows one-on-one interactions between the students and teachers. Professors can give extra attention during class time to difficulties students are facing.
Current students have shared that the staff at Southwestern University are extremely accommodating. Just like the students, the faculty at the university is constantly pursuing new goals.
Popular Southwestern University Majors
Southwestern University offers Bachelor’s Degrees in Social Science, Humanities, and Natural Sciences. We have compiled a list of some of Southwestern University’s most popular majors, along with possible jobs once your college career is complete.
Southwestern University History Major
The History Department at Southwestern University teaches students about historical events from all around the world. The professors have expertise in Latin America, East Asia, Africa, the US, the Atlantic world, and the Mediterranean world. The Bachelor of Arts in History also offers historical research experience through the senior capstone project.
Southwestern University History Major Jobs
- Librarian. A librarian is in charge of maintaining a library on a daily basis, which includes categorizing, sorting, and arranging the books. They help patrons rent books and organize educational and cultural events for the public.
- Journalist. Journalists collect, pitch, and produce compelling stories. They report to editors and take feedback from them. A skilled journalist keeps up with current topics and complies with journalism ethics.
- Historian. Historians analyze historical data collected from sources like books or archives. They carefully research historical events and present their conclusions to the public through reports, books, and articles.
Southwestern University Philosophy Major
The Philosophy and Religion Department at Southwestern University focuses on the history of western philosophy. The courses connect philosophy with the current social and cultural issues in society, allowing students to explore many questions and problems.
Southwestern University Philosophy Major Jobs
- Philosophy professor. Philosophy professors teach at the postsecondary level, so you will likely need a PhD in Philosophy for this career. They teach courses, offer advice on class research projects, and conduct their own research.
- Marketing manager. Marketing managers develop strategies to promote a product or service. They examine a company’s advertising strategies and make adjustments to make sure they are bringing in new customers.
- Activist. In order to bring about positive change in society, activists educate people about social issues and carry out fundraising campaigns. They often work for community organizations or unions.
Southwestern University Foreign Language Majors
The Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department at Southwestern University allow students to major in French, German, Latin, and Spanish and minor in Chinese (minor). Depending on the language you study, the institution provides study abroad programs in a number of countries and has award-winning faculty in the language department.
Southwestern University Foreign Language Major Jobs
- Interpreter. Interpreters allow communication between people who don’t speak a common language. They pay close attention to what is being said while quickly translating it into the target language. They often work in government or in the medical and legal fields.
- Translator. Translators convert written texts or audio files from one language to another. They need to confirm that the translations are accurate and match the source papers. They may also provide subtitles for television shows and movies.
- Tourism officer. A tourism officer attends to tourists and guides them throughout their trip to a different place. They educate the tourists about the location’s cultures, traditions, and foods. They may also need to prepare press releases and deliver presentations.
Southwestern University Economics and Business Major
Southwestern students can double major in Economics and Business. These majors teach students a blend of math and communication skills. Students are encouraged to do a business internship as part of their degree program.
Southwestern University Economics and Business Major Jobs
- Business analyst. Business analysts look closely at business operations and suggest ways to make an organization more profitable. They can work as consultants and be hired by multiple businesses, or they can work for one organization.
- Economist. Economists study economic trends and make predictions. They can work for businesses or government agencies.
- Accountant. Accountants review and prepare financial records for businesses, organizations, or individuals.
Southwestern University Environmental Studies Major
The Environmental Studies Department at Southwestern University allows students to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies. This program teaches students about the natural environment, conservation techniques, and environmental justice. Students will complete a capstone project and participate in the student-run Ecolab program.
Southwestern University Environmental Studies Major Jobs
- Sustainability specialist. Sustainability specialists design and implement sustainability programs that are beneficial for the environment and a business or organization. They also write grant proposals and maintain records.
- Environmental consultant. Environment consultants research and provide advice for environmental issues, such as waste management, recycling, and floods. They research new projects to ensure that they are environmentally friendly, such as housing developments and power plants.
- Environmental policy analyst. A policy analyst analyzes current government environmental policies and makes the necessary amendments. They present their results and suggestions to higher-level officials with data from studies.
Is Southwestern University Worth It?
Yes, Southwestern University is worth it because it is a respected school with excellent academics and highly qualified faculty. Southwestern University ranked second among Impact Schools in The Princeton Review’s list of the Best 386 Colleges. From art students to athletic students, Southwestern can be the perfect school for all types of students.
However, because Southwestern is a pricey private university, you might think that a student from a middle-class family would find it challenging to afford a degree. Despite this, you should apply and explore your possibilities for financial aid. Southwestern students get lots of financial aid and additional scholarships to make school affordable.
Southwestern University Review FAQ
No, Southwestern University doesn’t have an entrance exam. Standardized test scores from the ACT and SAT exams used to be required, but now applicants can choose whether or not to submit their test scores. Southwestern University evaluates students based on their high school grades, writing skills, and other achievements.
No, Southwestern University doesn’t offer athletic scholarships, but student-athletes can apply for need-based and academic merit scholarships. Some scholarship programs will consider excellent athletic achievements and leadership in high school for scholarships, but there aren’t any scholarships exclusively available to college athletes.
History is the most popular major at Southwestern University. The history degrees in the school offer a top-notch curriculum and research opportunities for students. The faculty of the history department is highly competent. In July 2022, an associate professor of History, Jessica Hower, organized Britain and the World 2022 Conference at the University of Plymouth in England.
Southwestern University is known for being a leading liberal arts university in the United States that weaves together academic courses in liberal arts education and science programs. Southwestern University is the oldest college in Texas, and the historic campus provides a great environment for students, with amenities like a community garden, recreation center, and observatory, in addition to excellent student services.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.