In this Southern New Hampshire University review, we’ll be going over everything you need to know about this school in order to make an informed decision about whether to enroll. The Southern New Hampshire University cost of attendance, including tuition and other expenses, will be detailed in this article.
We’ll also cover the Southern New Hampshire University ranking, looking at some student reviews and common complaints from actual students to get to the bottom of it. And because attending an accredited school is such an important factor in ensuring a high-quality education, we’ll also discuss the details of Southern New Hampshire University’s accreditation status.
All About Southern New Hampshire University
Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU) is a non-profit private university. Although it is now one of the most established online universities in the United States, it was founded in 1932 as an accounting and secretarial school. Today, it is among the fastest-growing universities in the country, offering over 200 on-campus and online courses and programs.
SNHU’s major undergraduate and graduate programs include business, education, technology, and other STEM degrees. Currently, there are over 134,000 students enrolled at SNHU. Of all the educational institutions in the northern region of the United States, SNHU is ranked as the most innovative, according to US News and World Report.
Where Is Southern New Hampshire University Located?
Southern New Hampshire University’s main campus is located in downtown Manchester, New Hampshire. This beautiful campus is well-situated, sitting on 300 acres of land and surrounded by mountains, the ocean, and Boston.
A few years ago, SNHU opened a Nashua campus, which is located at the airport in Nashua, New Hampshire. The Nashua campus is dedicated to both the aeronautical and aviation programs and has a flight center, a tower building, and a hangar.
Southern New Hampshire University is no longer primarily a brick-and-mortar school, which means that SNHU is technically located anywhere with Internet access. The distance learning branch of SNHU is a flexible alternative to its two on-person campuses.
Is Southern New Hampshire University Accredited?
Yes, Southern New Hampshire University is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education. Regional accreditation is a guarantee that SNHU provides high-quality education, proving that students will be able to acquire relevant knowledge and skills for their future careers.
Some SNHU programs have specialized accreditations. Many undergraduate business programs at SNHU, for example, are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs. The bachelor’s degree programs in mechanical and aeronautical engineering are both accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Is Southern New Hampshire University Legit?
Yes, Southern New Hampshire University is legit. Not only is SNHU a fully accredited school, but it is also touted for its innovative curricula, use of technology, modern facilities, and dynamic campus life.
Southern New Hampshire University is also a non-profit school. This means that the quality of education is the focus, not revenue. Like many other non-profit universities, SNHU cares about improving the educational experience of its students and guaranteeing their success.
Southern New Hampshire University Student Reviews
According to Southern New Hampshire University reviews found on the US News website, both online and in-person students have had generally positive experiences. In-person students praise the campus life, facilities, and convenient location. Online students find class instruction good despite the online format. The professors are receptive, helpful, and easy to reach.
On the Rate My Professors website, SNHU has a 3.5 overall quality ranking. Online students note that some professors are more engaged than others and that these programs require a lot of self-motivation. Online programs are very affordable, but they don’t skimp on academic and career support. Several on-campus events are held throughout the year for online students.
Southern New Hampshire University Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
The Better Business Bureau has received no reviews or complaints about Southern New Hampshire University. This is a good sign, considering that the Better Business Bureau exists to help its users determine whether specific institutions are trustworthy.
Southern New Hampshire University Rankings
This section reviews the Southern New Hampshire University ranking in both US News and World Report and Times Higher Education. These rankings provide potential students with important information regarding how SNHU compares to other schools.
Southern New Hampshire University US News & World Report Ranking
Southern New Hampshire University is not ranked among the best national universities of 2022 in the latest US News report. In addition to being ranked first among the Most Innovative Schools in the North, it is ranked 168th and 202nd on the Top Performers on Social Mobility and Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs lists, respectively.
Southern New Hampshire University Times Higher Education Ranking
Southern New Hampshire University’s ranking on the Times Higher Education (THE) list of best schools is not available. This means that THE neither includes SNHU in its overall rankings nor has collected any information about its resources, engagement, outcomes, or environment.
Southern New Hampshire University Graduation Rate
Southern New Hampshire University has an overall graduation rate of 39 percent, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). The graduation rate is defined as the number of full-time bachelor’s degree students who complete their studies within six years.
NCES data also finds that the average graduation rate among all four-year private non-profit universities is 68 percent. This means that SNHU’s graduation rate is below average. While schools with high graduation rates are preferable, this shouldn’t be a deal breaker. If you’re a dedicated student, you will be successful no matter where you go to school.
Southern New Hampshire University Admissions
The application process at Southern New Hampshire University is very straightforward. Students are required to complete an online application, submit the required documents, fill out their FAFSA, and explore all of the financial aid options available. There’s no application fee for undergraduate students. This includes online students living in the United States.
Southern New Hampshire University Acceptance Rate
Southern New Hampshire University’s acceptance rate is 92 percent, according to NCES. This means that for every 100 applicants, 92 are admitted. SNHU is almost an open admissions school and is not very competitive or selective.
Will You Get Into Southern New Hampshire University?
Yes, you’re very likely to get into Southern New Hampshire University. SNHU is not the most selective and its acceptance rate is high. Most students who meet the application requirements are accepted. Its undergraduate programs do not even have a minimum GPA.
How to Apply to Southern New Hampshire University
- Complete the online application. To Southern New Hampshire University, you first must fill out and submit your online application through the Common App. This is an online college application form used by over 900 colleges and universities.
- Submit your official high school transcripts. Next, you have to submit official high school transcripts or your GED. Admission officers need these documents to evaluate your academic performance and determine whether you should be admitted or not.
- Provide your SAT/ACT scores. This step is optional, as SAT and ACT scores are not required for admission. However, you can still submit them to show your academic competencies to the admissions officers.
- Check for program-specific requirements. Different programs have different requirements. For example, music education applicants have to do an audition, and University Honors Program applicants have to write an additional essay.
- Submit your FAFSA. If you want to apply for financial aid, you have to fill out and submit your FAFSA. It will help determine if you’re eligible for need-based financial aid and how much you will receive.
Southern New Hampshire University Cost
|Expense||Southern New Hampshire University Cost|
|Southern New Hampshire University Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$15,380|
|Southern New Hampshire University Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$15,380|
|Southern New Hampshire University Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$19,470|
|Southern New Hampshire University Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$19,470|
|Southern New Hampshire University Books and Supplies||$1,500|
|Southern New Hampshire University On-Campus Room and Board||$11,800|
|Southern New Hampshire University Off-Campus Room and Board||$11,200|
Your Southern New Hampshire University cost depends on whether you’re studying on campus or online. On-campus tuition and fees are around $15,000 per year for most programs. This is quite affordable compared to the average cost of tuition and fees for private non-profit schools, which stands at $37,641 per year according to NCES.
The total cost of attendance at SNHU varies according to a number of factors, including books, supplies, room and board, and other expenses, which differs for every student. According to the US Department of Education, the average annual cost of attending SNHU is $42,645.
When it comes to online programs, the Southern New Hampshire University cost is low. Undergraduate programs charge $320 per credit, and graduate programs charge $627 per credit. The school prides itself on having some of the lowest online tuition rates, which haven’t been raised since 2012.
Cost of Living in Manchester, New Hampshire
According to PayScale, the cost of living in Manchester, New Hampshire is ten percent higher than the national average. The average rent is $1,317 per month, electricity costs around $193.99 per month, and gas prices are around $4.24 per gallon.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Housing expenses and utility prices are eight percent and 14 percent higher than the national average, respectively. On the less expensive side of things, gas and other transportation expenses are three percent lower than the national average.
Southern New Hampshire University Financial Aid
Southern New Hampshire University has different types of financial aid for students in need, including grants and scholarships. Some of them are available to all students while others require enrollment in specific programs or study areas. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, 79 percent of SNHU students receive grants or scholarships.
Other forms of SNHU financial aid include employer partnerships and military aid. SNHU has partnerships with employers across the country. If you’re working for one of these employer partners, you may be eligible for tuition assistance. Members of the military in Active Duty, the National Guard, or the Selected Reserve can benefit from tuition discounts of up to 30 percent.
Southern New Hampshire University Scholarships
- James D. Walter Memorial Scholarship. Established in memory of a late SNHU psychology professor, this scholarship is for full-time undergraduate students majoring in a liberal arts discipline.
- Finlay Family Scholarship. This scholarship was created by SNHU alumnus Robert J. Finlay for New Hampshire residents who are either undergraduate Business majors or are enrolled in a School of Business graduate program.
- New Hampshire Governor’s Scholarship. This scholarship was created for eligible high school graduates from the state of New Hampshire. They have to be Pell Grant recipients who are enrolled full-time.
- Alumni Leadership Scholarship. Students who have completed at least two terms with a minimum GPA of 3.0, demonstrated leadership skills, and are engaged in the SNHU community can apply for this scholarship.
- Kappa Chi Scholarship. The Kappa Chi Chapter of the Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority teamed up with SNHU Alumni Association to create this scholarship for SNHU students.
Southern New Hampshire University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
According to the US Department of Education’s College Scorecard, the median Southern New Hampshire University student earns about $52,024 per year. About 61 percent of students who graduate from SNHU are able to earn more than a high school graduate.
SNHU has career advisors who work closely with students to help them prepare for their future careers. They talk to them about different job offers, conduct mock interviews, help them search for jobs, and even provide weekly webinars covering employment-related topics.
Southern New Hampshire University Notable Alumni
There are at least 20 notable alumni of Southern New Hampshire University. These graduates have achieved greatness in various fields, including politics, criminal justice, computer science, and writing. Some of them include:
- Don Dodge (Google ambassador)
- Samia Suluhu Hassan (Tanzanian politician)
- Elaine Duke (American civil servant)
- Ron Fortier (American author)
- Cathy Burnham Martin (American author)
Southern New Hampshire University Campus Life
The Southern New Hampshire University campus life is very diverse and has a lot to offer students. Dorms are considered state-of-the-art and come with high-speed Internet access, a wide range of flexible meal plans to choose from, and community-based events.
Campus students can also choose from more than 75 recognized clubs and organizations at SNHU. There are clubs for all interests, including Math Club, Gaming Club, Media and Design Club, Environmental Club, Sport Management Club, Drama Club, and Outing Club.
Southern New Hampshire University Academics
Southern New Hampshire University has over 110,000 undergraduate students and 22,000 graduate students enrolled across a wide range of affordable online, hybrid, and on-campus programs.
The academic programs at SNHU fall into 12 broad areas of study. These include accounting and finance, criminal justice, math and science, and technology. Students gain relevant skills and real-life experience through classwork and internships.
Southern New Hampshire University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|Accounting and Finance||Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Economics and Finance, Master of Business Administration|
|Art and Design||Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design and Media Arts, Bachelor of Science in Game and Simulation Programming, Bachelor of Arts in Game Art and Interactive Design|
|Criminal Justice||Bachelor of Science in Justice Studies, Terrorism and Homeland Security Certificate|
|Engineering||Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering|
|Technology||Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Master of Science in Information Technology|
|Liberal Arts||Bachelor of Arts in Communications, Bachelor of Arts in History, Mountainview Master of Fine Arts in Fiction or Nonfiction|
|Mathematics and Science||Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics, Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science|
|Social Sciences||Bachelor of Arts in Politics and Global Affairs, Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Bachelor of Arts in Sociology|
Southern New Hampshire University Faculty
The Southern New Hampshire University faculty is composed of experts and successful professionals in their respective fields. They’re equally available on campus, by phone, or via video conference to in-person and online students.
According to student reviews on Rate My Professors, many SNHU faculty members are considered helpful, nice, and easygoing. Some professors are considered harder graders and more demanding, but this depends in large part on the difficulty of the subject matter.
Popular Southern New Hampshire University Majors
Some of the most popular Southern New Hampshire University majors are business administration, psychology, nursing, graphic design, and accounting. In this section, we take a closer look at each of them.
Southern New Hampshire University Business Administration
The business administration major was developed with input from successful professionals in the field to provide the most current and relevant knowledge to students. Bringing a real business environment into the classroom. it combines business classes with training in management, accounting, human resources, and marketing.
Southern New Hampshire University Business Administration Jobs
- Office Administrator. Office administrators are resourceful multitaskers able to take care of any situation that might arise at the office. From management to meeting with clients, these professionals can do it all.
- Human Resources Manager. Human resources managers are responsible for a company’s entire workforce. They take care of everything employee-related, from recruitment to training to payroll management.
- Business Consultant. Business consultants work with companies and come up with plans and strategies to reduce their costs and increase their revenue by making them more efficient and productive.
Southern New Hampshire University Psychology
SNHU’s psychology major focuses on teaching psychological concepts and human behavior using the best research methods. Students learn human psychology in a specialized way by choosing a concentration in child and adolescent development, forensic psychology, or mental health. Students are able to get real-life experience as interns or volunteers.
Southern New Hampshire University Psychology Jobs
- Psychiatric Technician. Psychiatric and other mental health technicians work directly with patients with mental health concerns, in inpatient and outpatient settings. They work under the supervision of licensed therapists or social workers.
- Career Counselor. Career counselors help other people figure out their potential and guide them toward the right careers. They also work with people who are in the middle of changing career paths or are returning to the workforce.
- Research Assistant. If you’re interested in psychology-related research, you can try looking for psychology labs and working as a research assistant. This position is easier to find while you are still in college, but you can still become a research assistant after you graduate.
Southern New Hampshire University Nursing
The nursing program at Southern New Hampshire University is 100 percent online to provide nurses with the flexibility they need to combine their demanding work with their studies. It was created and designed by nurses with other nurses in mind. Students can get their BSN or choose an accelerated pathway to get a nursing master’s degree.
Southern New Hampshire University Nursing Jobs
- Nurse. Most students getting an education in nursing want to work as licensed nurses. These professionals assess their patients’ medical needs and then provide and coordinate their medical care.
- Medical Researcher. For those interested in research, becoming a medical researcher might be a good option. These professionals work behind the scenes, collecting new data to better understand the subject they’re studying.
- Nurse Lobbyist. If you want to combine nursing experience with politics, becoming a nurse lobbyist is the way to go. These professionals work to defend and promote the interests of nurses and the medical field.
Southern New Hampshire University Graphic Design
The graphic design bachelor’s degree program at SNHU was created to allow students to turn their artistic passions into successful careers. Apart from focusing on the arts portion of the curriculum, students can expand their knowledge in marketing, tech, business, and advertising. Students are required to complete studio work, lab work, or internships.
Southern New Hampshire University Graphic Design Jobs
- Web Designer. Web designers are responsible for creating entire web pages. They take care of each detail, from designing page layouts to choosing the different fonts and colors.
- Multimedia Animator. Multimedia animators are responsible for creating different types of content through animated media, including advertisements and videos.
- Illustrator. Illustrators work with various types of clients to help make their visions come to life. They have the opportunity to work several types of jobs, from illustrating books to designing marketing campaigns.
Southern New Hampshire University Accounting
Southern New Hampshire University’s accounting program provides students with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in several types of accounting jobs. The expert faculty consists of certified public accountants and certified management accountants, who bring their real-world experience into the classroom.
Southern New Hampshire University Accounting Jobs
- Budget Analyst. As the title suggests, budget analysts work with companies, helping them plan and organize their budgets and monitor their expenses.
- Financial Consultant. Financial consultants work with different organizations, advising them on their investments, creating financial plans, and monitoring their bookkeeping and expenses.
- Personal Financial Advisor. Personal financial advisors work with individual clients according to their specific financial needs. They help take care of investments, taxes, and insurance, and they work with them to develop personalized financial plans.
Is Southern New Hampshire University Worth It?
Yes, Southern New Hampshire University is worth it. This school offers a wide variety of accredited programs, both in-person and online, all at affordable tuition rates. Students enjoy active and engaging campus lives and have access to expert faculty and advisors.
Regardless of their high school GPA, most students are likely to be admitted into this school, which believes in extending education access to all students. Additionally, working students can easily balance their work with online classes, which are flexible enough to allow students to work at their own pace.
Southern New Hampshire University Review FAQ
Yes, SNHU accepts transfer credits. The school aims to make the process of transferring as easy and seamless as possible, and it will accept up to 90 transfer credits. The official evaluation of transfer credits is done while your application is being processed.
No, in-person and online diplomas are exactly the same for every student. There are only a few trivial differences, such as the exact name of the program and the completion date. Both types of students are invited to participate in SNHU’s shared graduation ceremony.
Yes, SNHU is very big on sports. It has many Division II teams, including basketball, cross-country, soccer, and tennis. SNHU is also a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Northeast-10 Conference.
No, SNHU doesn’t provide any technical equipment, such as laptops, for their students. They do, however, encourage students who need to buy new equipment to take advantage of some of the discounts available to SNHU students.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.