Park University is a liberal arts school with its main campus in the heart of Missouri. What makes Park stand out from other institutions of higher learning? Our comprehensive Park University review finds that this accredited college offers affordable tuition, flexible courses at many campus centers, and an easy application process.
This private school offers many academic programs to help you start your career or further your education. In this article, we’ll give you a thorough review of Park University rankings and what former students have to say. We’ll also cover the most popular majors and potential career paths for graduates so you can see whether it’s a good choice according to your chosen field of study.
All About Park University
Park University is a four-year, private school located in Parkville, Missouri. The university offers eight associate degree programs, 55 bachelor’s degree programs, 14 master’s degree programs, and 31 undergraduate and graduate certificate programs. Academic programs are available both on-campus and online.
Park is a medium-sized school with 7,387 undergraduate and 1,395 graduate students. This school is supportive of active-duty and veteran students, in fact over half of the student body is affiliated with the military. Many students take advantage of the flexibility of online learning. Almost three-quarters of all credit hours are earned through online classes.
Where Is Park University Located?
Park University’s main campus is located in Parkville, Missouri. The town has a population of around 8,000 people and is right next door to Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City, Kansas. USA Today ranked Parkville as having the most charming main street in Missouri.
Park has a second campus in Gilbert, Arizona, a large suburb of Phoenix. The Gilbert Campus has programs for both traditional college students and adult learners. In addition to these two campuses, Park has more than 35 campus centers around the US to give adult learners in-person support. The majority of these campus centers are on military bases, as part of the armed forces base education services.
Is Park University Accredited?
Yes, Park University’s accreditation comes from the Higher Learning Commission. Park’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree is accredited by the Missouri State Board of Nursing. This program accreditation is crucial for students who want to become registered nurses because of state licensing regulations.
Is Park University Legit?
Yes, Park University is a legitimate university with a focus on academic integrity. In fact, it is one of the top schools in the Kansas City area. Prospective students can benefit from both in-person and online courses to prepare for a career or an advanced degree. As a regionally accredited school, all credit hours earned at Park will transfer to other institutions of higher learning.
Park University Student Reviews
Student reviews of Park University are positive overall, with some reasonable complaints. Reviewers on US News & World Report reported small class sizes with lots of interaction with professors, helpful free tutoring services, and a safe and peaceful campus. Students also liked the diversity on campus, though some students wanted more active student organizations.
Student reviews from RateMyProfessors.com agreed that the Parkville location has a beautiful campus, although it is a bit small. Students rank Park very high for campus safety. Students who were active duty military found the programs to fit into their busy schedules very well. Overall, military service students have a positive view of Park.
Park University Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
Park University has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), though it isn’t accredited by BBB. BBB has only received two complaints about Park in the past three years. One complaint was regarding a bookstore refund, while the other came from confusion about receiving transfer credits.
A student review on the BBB website also expressed frustration with poorly publicized rules about residency requirements and credit hour limits, though this student did have a good experience with Park’s online classes.
Park University Rankings
Park University rankings show this private school to fall in the middle of the pack for colleges in the US. Given its focus on active duty military students and online education, it’s no surprise that it is ranked more highly for online programs and programs for military students.
Park University US News & World Report Ranking
US News & World Report ranks Park in their Best Regional Universities Midwest list at numbers 119-157. The school is also ranked number 148 in Top Performers on Social Mobility. Park’s online courses and programs are ranked more favorably. It earned the number 30 spot on Best Online Bachelors in Psychology Programs and the number 97 spot in Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans.
Park University Times Higher Education Ranking
Because of its small size, Times Higher Education (THE) doesn’t rank Park on any of their lists. This isn’t surprising given THE’s focus on nationally known universities. If you are looking for a degree from a school with global name recognition, Park isn’t the right choice for you.
Park University Graduation Rate
Park University has a graduation rate of 24 percent, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). Park’s graduation rate is much lower than the national average graduation rate for undergraduates at other non-profit, private schools, which is 68 percent.
Park University Admissions
Park University has a simple application process compared to other private schools. Park has a rolling admissions process, so you can apply at any time of the year. In the following sections, we’ll walk you through the application process in detail.
Park University Acceptance Rate
Park University has an open admission policy. All students are admitted as long as they have a high school diploma or GED, with very few exceptions. Some types of students, such as those applying for nursing or education programs, will need to meet additional admission requirements. Students applying for graduate programs must also hold a bachelor’s degree.
Will You Get Into Park University?
Yes, you will get into Park University if you have a high school diploma or GED. This is great news for students who didn’t get good grades in high school because there is no Park University GPA requirement. All types of students can apply with the reasonable expectation that they’ll be admitted.
How to Apply to Park University
- Complete an online application. Prospective students start the application process by completing an online application form. Before you start your application, you should decide if you want to study at a campus center or online.
- Pay the application fee. Domestic students and international, nonimmigrant students need to pay a non-refundable application fee of $35 and $75, respectively. Prospective students who have already completed a degree at Park don’t need to pay the application fee again.
- Submit official transcripts. Prospective students for both undergraduate and graduate programs need to send their official transcripts for any high school and college attended.
- English Language Proficiency. International students from certain countries need to submit official TOEFL scores.
- Proof of Financial Support. International students need to provide proof of financial support to show that they can pay for all Park University costs.
Park University Cost
|Expense||Park University Cost|
|Park University Undergraduate Tuition and Fees||$12,280|
|Park University Graduate Tuition and Fees||$6,435|
|Park University Books and Supplies||$1,485|
|Park University On-Campus Room and Board||$8,084|
|Park University Off-Campus Room and Board||$6,400|
Park University costs are relatively low compared to the average cost of tuition at private, non-profit, four-year institutions, reported by NCES as $37,600 per year for undergraduates in 2019-20. This is one of the top reasons why students enroll in academic programs at Park. Military students using base education services or at civilian campus centers qualify for reduced tuition.
Students should also consider other costs such as books and supplies, room and board, technology, transportation, and health insurance. These costs will vary significantly for students who choose dorm life vs students who choose to live off-campus.
Cost of Living in Parkville, Missouri
Data on the cost of living in Parkville, Missouri is unavailable because it is a small town, but PayScale reports the cost of living in nearby Kansas City is the same as the national average. Housing costs are eight percent less expensive than the national average, but utility costs are eight percent more expensive.
Kansas City, Missouri is a large city with over half a million residents. The median rent is $979 per month, though over half of residents own their own homes. Students who don’t want to live in an urban area can live on campus or try to find housing in Parkville, which is a mix of suburban and rural areas. However, off-campus housing options in Parkville are limited.
Park University Financial Aid
To offset Park University costs, prospective students can apply for governmental sources of financial aid in the form of federal and state grants, student loans, scholarships, and work-study programs. The state of Missouri offers several scholarships, such as Access Missouri Grant and Bright Flight Program, among others.
Students can also apply for scholarships and grants that are only available to Park students through the financial aid department. Ninety-four percent of Park students receive financial aid from any source, and 68 percent of students get financial aid from the school itself. Some of these programs are only available to students at the Parkville and Gilbert campus centers.
Park University Scholarships
- Buccaneer Transfer Scholarship. Transfer students enrolled in daytime classes at the Gilbert campus center with a cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or higher will be considered for this $1,700 scholarship.
- Elite Award. This scholarship is for incoming international students with a minimum GPA of 3.0. To win this $5,000 per year award, applicants must write an essay about why they want to study at Park.
- Marvin Brooks Scholarship. This $2,000 award honors Park’s first African American graduate, and it is given to an incoming freshman who is a first-generation college student from an underrepresented group.
- Presidential Honors Scholarship. This award covers tuition, housing, and study abroad costs for all four years for a first-year student. This scholarship is extremely competitive, and only one or two incoming freshmen win it each year. To apply, students need two letters of reference, a minimum GPA of 3.8, high ACT or SAT scores, a personal essay, and a resume.
- Start Right Scholarship. Incoming Gilbert campus center students are eligible for this $1,000 award for attending three on-campus events before they enroll at Park.
Park University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
Park graduates earn an average salary of $51,085 after graduation. This figure is higher than the midpoint for four-year schools at $47,891, and it is very close to the annual mean wage in Missouri, which is $51,390.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Park’s Career Development Center guides students through every step of building a career, from picking an academic program to landing a job. Current students can get help building resumes and cover letters, finding jobs, and practicing for interviews.
Park University Notable Alumni
Park graduates have gone on to become politicians, radio broadcasters, and musicians. Several alumni have gone on to leadership positions in the military. In fact, alumnus George S. Robb was honored for his service in World War I with the Medal of Honor.
Park University Campus Life
The beautiful campuses in both Parkville and Gilbert provide a broad selection of academic programs and extracurricular activities in a conventional college setting. All types of students with different interests and educational goals can connect and learn from each other’s diverse perspectives. The student body is multicultural, with more than 250 international students.
At the Parkville campus, there are over 40 clubs and 16 varsity athletic teams for students to participate in. The Parkville campus is conveniently located minutes from downtown Kansas City, where students can explore the food and culture of the big city.
Park University Academics
Park University is a four-year institution that offers associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degree programs. It also has non-degree certificate programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as bootcamps. As of fall 2021, it had a total enrollment of 8,782 students. The institution offers over 60 undergraduate and graduate programs.
Park University has a student-to-faculty ratio of 15 to one, and 73.3 percent of its classes have fewer than 20 students. Park University offers a wide variety of academic support to help students succeed. Students have the option to take one-on-one and group tutoring to help them with any academic challenges they face.
Park University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|College of Education and Health Professions||Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Education in Early Childhood Education, Master of Education In Education Technology|
|College of Liberal Arts and Sciences||Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity, Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration, Master of Arts in Communication and Leadership, Master of Arts in National Security Studies|
|College of Management||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Science in Management, Master of Science in Information Systems and Business Analytics|
Park University Faculty
Park University faculty members hold advanced degrees and are often published scholars in their fields. Many of the faculty members at Park are also actively involved in research. With a low student-to-faculty ratio, current students get the chance to really get to know their professors during class.
Students rate Park professors relatively highly. The average professor rating is 3.72 out of five, while some professors such as Professor Joseph Bulter in the Psychology Department and Professor Pacita Whatley in the College of Management are rated five out of five from numerous reviews.
Popular Park University Majors
Park University offers a wide variety of majors for students. The most popular Park University fields of study include business, social psychology, and criminal justice and law enforcement administration.
Park University Business Administration Major
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration academic program equips students to succeed in business in a way that is socially responsible in a global society. Students will take core classes in business and math, and they can choose a concentration in accounting, international business, project management, marketing, and human resources.
Park University Business Administration Major Jobs
- Certified Public Accountant. Accountants manage financial records for organizations or individuals. To become a certified public accountant, you’ll need to pass a professional exam.
- Human Resource Managers. Human resource managers are vital players on a company’s management team. They oversee the welfare of all employees and manage payroll. The average salary for a human resource manager is $126,230 per year.
- Financial Analysts. Financial analysts advise companies and people on how to spend money in order to make a profit. Employment of financial analysts is expected to grow by six percent from 2020 to 2030, which is around average.
Park University Social Psychology Major
Social psychology explores how humans operate in society. After studying this broad field, graduates can find work in government, business, education, and research. The social psychology program is available online and in person.
Park University Social Psychology Major Jobs
- Psychologist. Psychologists observe, evaluate, and document how people interact with one another and their environments in order to better understand cognitive, emotional, and social processes and behavior. The average salary for psychologists is $81,040 per year.
- Political Strategist. Political strategists analyze a political party’s operations and look for ways to improve. They develop campaigns to help their candidate appeal to the public and win elections.
- Marketing Consultant. If you want to help businesses sell products, then you should consider becoming a marketing consultant. These professionals are hired on a case-by-case basis to develop a marketing plan that reaches the target audience.
Park University Criminal Justice Administration Major
The bachelor’s degree program in criminal justice administration covers the critical elements of the criminal justice system, in both the public and private spheres. Students can choose a concentration in either correction, law enforcement, or security. These courses are continually updated by working experts to give students relevant content in contemporary criminal justice.
Park University Criminal Justice Major Jobs
- Police Officer. Police officers react to both emergency and non-emergency calls and perform daily patrols of an assigned area. The average annual salary of a police officer is $66,020.
- Crime Analyst. A crime analyst’s work is centered on research. They research criminal behavior trends and patterns and develop initiatives for preventing crime based on this research. In other situations, crime analysts directly assist in identifying suspects.
- Correctional Officer. Correctional officers are in charge of people who have been detained while they are being investigated for a crime or while they are serving time in jail or prison. The average annual salary of a correctional officer is $47,920.
Park University Information and Computer Science Major
Students who enroll in the Information and Computer Science program will sharpen their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills and learn how to use current computer technologies to develop technological solutions. Students can take online courses, in-person courses, or blended courses, depending on their preferences and schedules.
Park University Information and Computer Science Major Jobs
- Chief Technical Officer (CTO). The CTO oversees a company’s technology department and assesses new technologies that might benefit the company. The CTO develops the company’s overall technology strategy and presents it to senior management. The average annual salary of a CTO is $159,010.
- Software Engineer. Software engineers design computer programs and applications and write the code to create them. Software engineers test and improve software created by other engineers in addition to creating their own programs. The average annual salary of a software engineer is $88,889.
- Information Security Analysts. Information security experts use different security practices to keep information on computer networks and systems secure. They create reports that detail attempted attacks and security violations.
Park University Healthcare Management Major
Graduates of the program will be able to analyze the complex workings of healthcare delivery systems, respond to issues and challenges in healthcare systems, and effectively manage organizational resources to meet institutional goals. Healthcare management majors go on to work in hospitals, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
Park University Healthcare Management Major Jobs
- Medical and Health Services Manager. Managers of medical and health services, often known as healthcare administrators, organize, direct, and coordinate healthcare services. They might oversee a whole hospital, a certain clinical area or department, or a group of doctors’ practices.
- Social and Community Service Manager. Managers of social and community services work for non-profit institutions, for-profit providers of social services, and government agencies. Social and community service managers often need to write reports that show the effectiveness of their programs and services.
- Medical Records and Health Information Specialists. Health information experts work with medical records to analyze and manage health data. They code patient information for insurance companies and organize patients’ medical records and treatment histories.
Is Park University Worth It?
Yes, Park University is a fully accredited school with affordable tuition, and graduates go on to find fulfilling jobs with good salaries. The school offers a wide range of majors and minors, with notable options like business administration and management, social psychology, criminal justice administration, and healthcare management.
In addition to two main campuses and many regional campus centers, Park University also offers fully online classes and coding bootcamps. This is an excellent school for online learners. The university also offers accelerated master’s degrees through the College of Management, where students can earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree in just five years.
Park University Review FAQ
Yes, Park University is a good school. While it doesn’t have the same degree of name recognition as more well-known schools, students can expect to receive a quality education from experienced faculty members.
Yes, Park University has been offering online classes for 25 years, and today it offers over 650 online courses. The online courses are taught asynchronously, so students can review lectures and complete assignments on their own schedule. This learning environment gives students with jobs or other responsibilities the flexibility they need.
Yes, you can get an associate degree at Park University. There are programs in construction management, criminal justice administration, liberal arts, logistics management, and more. It takes most students around two years to earn an associate degree.
Yes, Park University is a good school for international students. You will be welcomed into a multicultural community of students from all over the US and the world. You can get assistance from International Student Services in navigating American life, employment, and education.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.