Job placement is the most important benefit of education. However, even with a degree and job-ready skills, finding a job that’s a good fit for you could be tough. Metis is well aware of this challenge, which is why the data science bootcamp provides you not just job-ready skills but also career support.
To help alumni move forward in advanced analytics and data science careers, Metis offers services and resources dedicated to helping students find jobs after graduation.
In post-graduation career support, Metis Career Advisors work one-on-one with students to help with the following:
- Craft and finalize resumes;
- Build a solid online presence, especially on professional networking sites like LinkedIn;
- Develop a strategic plan and schedule for the job search;
- Conduct mock interviews; and
- Hold additional 1:1 post-graduation meetings
Metis’ outcomes speak for the quality of their training and career development support. To date, Metis has trained over 1,500 alumni who work for companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Meta, and Google.
Read on as we dive deeper into the career support you’re guaranteed to get when you graduate from Metis.
A successful career change is a product of intensive training plus career support. Metis’ career team can help mold you into a job-ready candidate for the job.Join Metis bootcamps today.
5 Ways Metis Bootcamps Boost Your Chances of Getting a Data Science Job
Metis is committed to accelerating data science education for career changers and career starters who want to explore the thriving field of quantitative analysis. The bootcamps not only focus on technical training but also job search skills training. Below are the career services you can expect to receive from Day 1 of your Metis training until after graduation.
1. 1:1 Support from Career Advisors
Receive personalized feedback straight from Metis’ career advisors regarding the critical components of your job search, from how strong your resume is to how well you perform in job interviews. During the bootcamp and post-graduation, you can meet with your Career Advisor. Depending on your needs and goals, your Career Advisor will discuss resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and interviewing.
2. Events and Professional Speakers
In addition to learning from your instructors, you also hear from other industry experts who present as guest speakers for Metis events like Career Week. These include those who belong to Metis’ partner companies.
By attending these events, you can learn insider information about what it’s like to work in data science, what skills are in demand, and what steps you can take to improve your employability. Of course, the events also present a perfect opportunity for you to build your professional network.
Metis’ career workshops seek to prepare you for the six main factors of your job search: your professional brand, network, industry knowledge, interview performance, resume, and salary negotiation skills.
- Professional brand. Build an impressive LinkedIn profile that communicates your experience, skills, and personal brand.
- Networking. Learn the importance of networking and best practices for in-person and written messages.
- Interview performance. Actively participate one-on-one in mock interviews that will help you craft your narrative, practice your response to difficult interview questions, and receive actionable feedback to help you improve.
- Resume. Optimize your resume to get through applicant tracking systems and onto the hiring manager’s desk.
- Salary negotiation. Learn how to leverage your skills and experience to get more comfortable with asking for the salary you want.
4. Post-Graduation Support
Metis will continue to be there for you even after you’ve graduated. There are three platforms you can join or access after the bootcamp:
- Join MADE so you can easily reach out to hiring companies.
- Be part of the Metis Alumni Network Slack workspace and stay connected with your fellow Metis alumni.
- Gain access to the private Careers Channel within the Metis Alumni Network Slack workspace for alerts on job openings and tips to optimize your job search.
5. Salary Negotiation Advising
Negotiating your salary is a pivotal step in any job search process, especially if you’re in the earlier stages of your career. Yet it’s common to hear candidates shying away from negotiations. Metis career advisors guide you to get past your discomfort so you can become confident and negotiate in alignment with your worth and market value.
5 Tips to Ace Your Data Science Job Interview
No matter how strong your resume is, you won’t get the job if you don’t pass the job interview. Jennifer Raimone, Director of Careers & Student Support at Metis, has helpful advice on playing the offense during a job interview.
- Do your research. Familiarize yourself with the company and its ideals before your interview. You should also review the job description, then practice demonstrating how you meet the requirements listed.
- Prepare for common interview questions. Practice answering common interview questions, including your previous work experience and work style. You can even do a mock interview with a friend or family. According to one study, the best way to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise is to use a variety of sentence structures and make a strong first impression.
- Prepare for data challenges. Aside from face-to-face interviews, the hiring process for data scientists and analysts typically includes technical assessments like conceptual questions, mathematical problems, and coding challenges. These tests gauge your practical skills and how you approach problems. Prepare by solving as many data challenges as you can find online. You’ll also benefit from reviewing how others solved them.
- Create a winning portfolio. Portfolios are tangible proof of your technical expertise, which is why hiring managers usually ask about them during interviews. Speak about projects that showcase the skills that the job you’re applying for demands.
- Be clear about your strengths. Market yourself by laying down the value you can add to the company. Identify your strengths and values and show how you’re a good fit for the job.
Preparation and practice are vital in having a fruitful job search experience, and this is where Metis’ comprehensive career support comes in handy. If you are looking for some motivation to start a data science career, read the stories of Metis alumni who secured jobs in the field.
Advance Your Data Science Career at Metis
Students at Metis have access to career materials from Day 1. The services offered are dedicated not only to helping you define your career path but also to honing your job search skills. That means Metis builds not only data science skills but also strengthens your employability.
If you are ready to jump into a career in data science, apply to Metis now.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.