California’s bustling economy and beautiful warm weather make it a very enticing place to establish a career. It is home to Silicon Valley, where global technology companies and start-ups thrive, as well as bustling cities like San Diego. There are growth opportunities everywhere, making Califonia one of the best places to start building a successful career.
California is one of the wealthiest states in the US in terms of gross domestic product. This means businesses thrive, and big companies keep California’s economy and market share very healthy. This article will walk you through the largest companies in California and where to find California jobs.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
How We Defined the Largest Companies in California
We defined the largest companies in California by identifying the largest employers. We gathered information from company websites and other sources to learn what companies had the largest number of employees. Below you will find a list of the top 10 largest companies in California, ranked from the highest to the lowest number of employees.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in California
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
|1||Wells Fargo||San Francisco||268,531|
|5||The Walt Disney Company||Burbank||203,000|
|7||Universal Protection Service||Santa Ana||160,000|
1. Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo, located in Northern California, is a financial services company engaged in banking, investments, insurances, mortgages, and financing. It is included in Forbes’ list of America’s Best Banks 2021 and the Just 100 Companies 2021 that features both private and public companies that practice responsible capitalism. The company advocates for diversity and accessibility within its business networks.
Jobs Available at Wells Fargo
- Product delivery coordinator. This job is a project management role that works to deliver an end-to-end agile transformation approach for the customer journey. Wells Fargo requires at least seven years of project management experience.
- Treasury technical support analyst. The role provides technical ecommerce support and consultation to small businesses, middle-market, and corporate end-users. Wells Fargo is looking for someone with a degree in information technology and at least two years of experience in e-commerce technical support.
- Senior strategy and planning consultant. The strategy consultant role analyzes digital customer experiences and presents findings to leaders and partners. The job includes identifying strategic business opportunities to improve customer experience.
Where to Find Wells Fargo Jobs
You can visit the Wells Fargo career page to browse for jobs available in California. Due to the pandemic, the company has currently adapted to a virtual hiring process. Its enhanced job search and application tool require all job applicants to create an account on its new system.
Westcon-Comstor is a leading global technology distributor in the current market. The company is operating in 70 countries, with a comprehensive product portfolio, and average annual revenue of $3 billion. It is the largest Cisco-exclusive distributor and has a proven track record of expertise in handling any Cisco-related matter.
Jobs Available at Westcon-Comstor
- Technical sales specialist – Cisco services and software. This job is fit for someone who has previous experience working directly with a vendor. The role is to engage daily with Cisco to develop specialist knowledge of its software.
- IT sales specialist. Sales specialists are expected to deliver excellent customer service with their specialist vendor knowledge. The job requires at least two years of experience as an IT product specialist or account manager.
- Business development manager. The key responsibilities include a combination of product management and sales engagement with resellers and other business partners. Benefits include a company car. Westcon-Comstor is looking for someone with general knowledge of networking solutions, an understanding of the sales cycles in a B2B environment, and a willingness to learn and specialize in Cisco products.
Where to Find Westcon-Comstor Jobs
You can find Westcon-Comstor jobs on its careers page. Applicants should regularly check for new California job postings or sign up to its Talent Network to get job alerts that match their interest.
Concentrix is a global business services company specializing in customer engagement. The company received numerous awards and recognitions over the years, including Best Company for Diversity 2021 and Best Company Culture 2021. Its latest win is the Business Intelligence Group’s 2022 Innovation Award for its Concentrix Wellness program for staff well-being.
Jobs Available at Concentrix
- Senior manager, analytic consulting. Concentrix is looking for a senior manager who can guide a team through transformation projects for large clients. The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree and at least four years of experience in consulting and analytics.
- Associate director, account management. The associate director will be the main person for all large and complex client contract activities. Essential qualifications include a bachelor’s degree with 11 years of work experience and seven years of automotive marketing experience.
- Marketing program manager. Concentrix is looking for an adaptable manager responsible for managing demanding client accounts. The applicant must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, or Communications and at least four years of experience in the account coordinator role.
Where to Find Concentrix Jobs
You can search for California Concentrix jobs on its career page. You can apply for a job virtually and inquire about work-at-home opportunities. Talk to a recruiter to check if a work-at-home setup is ideal for you.
4. Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is a leading health care provider in the US, serving 12.5 million members. It provides one of the most extensive non-profit health care plans and operates 700 medical offices and 39 hospitals. It also manages more than 80,000 health care workers including physicians and medical personnel.
Jobs Available at Kaiser Permanente
- Pathology technician assistant. Pathology assistants help organize surgical tissue specimens and also log, process, and dispose of them properly. Job applicants must have at least an Associate’s Degree in Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Technology and prior laboratory experience.
- Manager pulmonary clinical services. This position is for a clinic manager to oversee the activities of other health care workers, deliver excellent patient care, and ensure the facility’s compliance with federal and state regulations. Basic qualifications include a bachelor’s degree and at least four years of management experience.
- Optometrist. An optometrist will diagnose conditions and perform routine procedures using independent professional judgment in the practice of optometry. Basic qualifications include a Doctor of Optometry degree and a current California Optometric License.
Where to Find Kaiser Permanente Jobs
You can find available California jobs on the Kaiser Permanente careers page. The company has career opportunities for clinical practice, IT, nurses, physicians, dentists, digital careers, and other health care workers. In addition, it offers temporary contracts.
5. The Walt Disney Company
Walt Disney is a global entertainment and media group that was founded in 1923 by brothers Walt and Roy Disney. The company is a leader and pioneer in the animation industry and later diversified to television, film production, and theme parks. Walt Disney is a billion-dollar company, earning $67 billion in 2021. It is one of the public companies that can be traded on a stock exchange.
Jobs Available at The Walt Disney Company
- Project coordinator DE&I. This role provides administrative support to the diversity, equity, and inclusion team by coordinating special projects. Minimum qualifications include two years of project management experience and excellent computer skills.
- Manager, IT audit. The IT audit manager will lead audits of the company’s systems environment and network security. Walt Disney is looking for an applicant with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related course, five years of experience in auditing, and two years of leadership experience.
- Mobile video journalist. This role is for creative video storytellers who can bring characters to life using an iPhone. Basic qualifications for the job include experience in video editing, broadband streaming devices such as Dejero, and knowledge of Southern California.
Where to Find The Walt Disney Company Jobs
You can find The Walt Disney Company jobs on its careers page. There are thousands of available jobs in California, particularly in administrative work, animation, legal, marketing, production, and technology.
6. Taco Bell
Taco Bell started in 1948 as a hamburger stand in San Bernardino and Colton in Southern California. Now it has 7,000 restaurants worldwide serving 2 billion customers. The majority of the restaurants are owned and operated by independent franchisees and licensees.
Jobs Available at Taco Bell
- Area coach. The area coach oversees training, general operations, financial performances, restaurant status updates, and guest satisfaction. The ideal candidate is preferred to have a bachelor’s degree with five years of demonstrated restaurant operations experience.
- Assistant general manager. The Taco Bell Los Angeles branch is looking for an assistant general manager with an ownership mindset who can manage the restaurant franchise. The basic requirements are at least a GED. This job is under a Palo Alto corporate and Alvarado franchise.
- Shift lead. The shift lead supports the restaurant’s general manager by managing shifts, helping resolve problems, and ensuring excellence among other staff members. The candidate must be at least 18 years old, able to do basic math, and have the ability to oversee and manage subordinate staff.
Where to Find Taco Bell Jobs
Taco Bell jobs consist of three categories: restaurant staff, restaurant management, and other opportunities. You can find Taco Bell jobs on its website.
7. Universal Protection Service
Universal Protection Service is a provider of security solutions, building maintenance, protection, and contemporary services. In 2016, it merged with fellow security service provider Allied Universal. It has an extensive network of offices in North America and has extended its range of services in specialty sectors including health care, retail, government, and corporate campuses.
Jobs Available at Universal Protection Service
- Healthcare security account manager. Coordinates and oversees security operations and security professionals on their assigned accounts. The applicant should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, or a related field, and at least two years of business management experience.
- Security guard – biopharmaceutical company. A full-time professional security officer responsible for the safety of client property and personnel. Applicants should be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma and a driver’s license.
- Part-time flex GSOC operator. The company is looking for a Global Security Operations Center (GSOC) operator to use open source material to research enterprise risks to help corporate leaders make informed decisions.
Where to Find Universal Protection Service Jobs
You can find Northern and Southern California security jobs at the Allied Universal career page. There are various growth opportunities in the company, with many starting out as security professionals and then progressing to the senior leadership team.
Gap is an American clothing and accessories chain of retail stores headquartered in San Francisco, California. Its brands include Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Forth & Towne. Gap is not just popular in North America. In fact, the company has more than 3,700 retail stores worldwide.
Jobs Available at Gap
- Assistant job manager (Old Navy). This is a leadership role to train and develop the staff and drive a culture of high performance and engagement with customers. The preferred candidate should have proven time management and prioritization skills.
- Manager, design operations (GAP). This is a management role to help drive Gap’s corporate and brand strategy initiative and serve as a strategic partner to develop annual long-range plans. The ideal candidate should have a professional background in apparel and retail management.
- Stylist-sales associate (Banana Republic). This is a sales role that will engage and connect with clients to provide excellent customer service. The ideal candidate is someone with excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Where to Find Gap Jobs
Careers with Gap can be categorized based on brand, job type, talent area, and location. You can search the Gap job search page for more information.
9. Apple Inc.
Apple Inc. is an American multinational corporation and global tech company specializing in consumer electronics, software, and online services. Apple has a market value worth $3 trillion as of 2022, due to rising iPhone sales.
Jobs Available at Apple Inc.
- Platform specialist – search ads. Platform specialists help businesses with promotions and discovery across Apple services. Applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or a related field and at least three years of experience in customer service.
- Digital advertising strategist, App Store. This role is for a digital marketer who will work with the App Store Digital Advertising team to develop media plans and coordinate global projects. The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience in digital advertising.
- Product designer, legal and regulatory. This role is for a visual and human interface designer to help develop Apple Media Products (AMP) services. Applicants should have a BFA or BA degree in design-related studies, a product portfolio showing visual design work, and a minimum of five years of work experience.
Where to Find Apple Inc. Jobs
You can find available job openings on the Careers at Apple page. You can explore roles in various areas including retail, corporate functions, design, hardware, AI, marketing, sales, support, software, and operations and supply chain.
Safeway is an American supermarket chain headquartered in Pleasanton in Northern California. It carries a wide range of products and has departments such as dairy, meats, liquor, flowers, bakery, groceries, delicatessen, lottery, dry cleaning, and a pharmacy. It has over 900 locations in 17 states.
Jobs Available at Safeway
- Asset protection specialist. The asset protection specialist will prevent losses by monitoring company policies programs throughout the store. The preferred candidate should have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of retail experience.
- Pharmacy technician. Assists the pharmacist in providing courteous customer service and maintaining a clean and orderly pharmacy area. Applicants should have good communication skills and know basic pharmaceutical weights and measures.
- Ecommerce personal shopper. The personal shopper selects the best products for online shoppers. This will require selecting the correct fruit products and other grocery items. This is an entry-level position and the candidate should at least have a high school diploma, have an aptitude for technology, and have experience in ecommerce.
Where to Find Safeway Jobs
You can find available Northern and Southern California jobs on the Safeway careers page. The company has immediate positions for warehouse associates, or you can browse for roles in the stores, pharmacies, and warehouses, or even as a truck driver.
Do Any Large Companies in California Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, large and successful companies in California hire individuals who obtained their education from a bootcamp. Companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, and even Facebook will hire bootcamp graduates. A top software engineering bootcamp can prepare you for various Google careers.
Many big brands recognize talent over a degree. For instance, Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of an Ivy League school to start Facebook and later on received an honorary degree at Harvard. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, co-founders of Apple, were both non-degree holders when they started the company.
A degree will not define your success in your chosen field. Do not let the absence of a traditional degree deter you from applying for great jobs in California. However, if you’re applying for a job, you should at least meet the minimum qualifications.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Largest Companies in California FAQ
There are currently 53 Fortune 500 companies in California, 15 of which are based in Los Angeles. These companies have a combined revenue of $1.5 trillion. Below are some of the brands included in the list:
Google in Santa Clara
Chevron Corporation in San Ramon
Facebook in Menlo Park
Apple Inc. in Cupertino
eBay in San Jose
Western Digital in San Jose
Qualcomm in San Diego
Ross Stores in Dublin
The Walt Disney in Burbank
Gap in San Francisco
Mattel in El Segundo
Lam Research Corporation in Fremont
CVS Health in Rhode Island
Molina Healthcare in Long Beach
Edison International in Rosemead
Uber Technologies in San Francisco
Reliance Steel & Aluminum Co. in Los Angeles
Farmers Insurance Exchange in Woodland Hills
United Service Technologies in Placentia
California comes in second after New York, which has 54 Fortune 500 companies. The number of California companies included in the list changes annually, so it’s best to check the main Fortune 500 page for annual updates.
The biggest industries in California with the highest value contribution to its gross domestic product include the finance, insurance, real estate, rental, and leasing industries. A 2020 report showed these industries contributed $447.07 billion to the local economy.
Other thriving industries include manufacturing services, agriculture, tourism, food, education, and hospitality. Some of the biggest California companies largely contributing to these industries include CBRE Group, Charles Schwab & Co., Sutter Health, Ensign Group, Panda Restaurant Group, Sanmina Corporation, and Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America.
The most in-demand occupations with the largest employment rates in California are administrative positions, sales, transportation and material moving, food services, and financial operations. Los Angeles, as a city, is the biggest employer of these occupations.
The biggest earners in California are those in the field of medicine. Psychiatrists have the highest annual mean wage of $245,000. Obstetricians and gynecologists rank second, earning $235,610 annually, and surgeons are close behind earning $229,430.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.