If you’re passionate about creating superior automobile products and want to land a job with one of the best automotive manufacturing corporations in the world, you should consider General Motors (GM). This guide will walk you through how to get a job at GM, including how to apply to GM. It also includes GM jobs that are available, the GM application process, and information on what it’s like working at GM.
GM: Company Background
General Motors (GM) is a renowned American car manufacturer. This multinational corporation designs, manufactures, and sells automobiles and components. Founded by Willian C. Durant in 1908, GM has grown to be the largest automobile company in the United States, as well as a leading manufacturer globally.
General Motors has made significant progress and impact in the automobile industry, creating and manufacturing affordable electric cars in mass. In addition, it continues to innovate electric starters and airbags.
How Difficult Is It to Get a Job at GM?
It is quite difficult to get a job at GM because GM receives many job applications. Consequently, you will face stiff competition in the entire hiring process as you will encounter other candidates who have accomplished more than the job qualification requirements.
Nevertheless, GM won’t hesitate to hire you if you showcase your skills and prove you can add value to the company and the automobile industry.
How to Apply for a Job at GM
- Job Application. The first step to applying for a career opportunity in GM is to submit your job application online. Ensure you review the common qualifications such as college degrees, work permits, and previous working experience, depending on the role.
- Assessment Tests Relevant to the Role. The most common assessment tests that candidates encounter include DIDI adaptive reasoning tests, personality tests, situational judgment tests, numerical reasoning tests, and verbal reasoning tests.
- Interview Process. After completing the test, you will be invited for an interview. Initially, you will have a phone interview followed by a face-to-face interview. Most of the career opportunities in this company involve a technical interview and special examination.
- Drug Test. GM hires under policies such as background checks and drug testing. Hence, before joining the leading automobile manufacturing corporation, you must comply with these conditions.
- Employment Offer. Once you succeed in the interview, the recruitment team will send you an employment offer.
GM Application Process
It is necessary to evaluate whether your qualifications match the specific job requirements, as failure to meet even one of them may eliminate you in the early stages of the hiring process. Before submitting the application documents, you must also attach your curriculum vitae and cover letter.
GM Interview Questions
- Why do you want to join GM? While addressing this question, ensure you demonstrate a strong work ethic, desire to learn, and creativity using specific past experiences.
- What are your strengths? This question demands you showcase your skills while giving a real example of how you leveraged them.
- What is your weakness? Unlike the second question, this is challenging for most candidates. Nevertheless, you can tell the recruitment team a real weakness and explain to them how you’ve been working to improve it.
- Can you work under pressure? As a leading automobile manufacturer, GM encounters massive, high-standard demands that require your commitment regardless of the pressure. So, answer affirmatively and demonstrate how you will do so.
- Are you a team player? Since you will be collaborating with other employees, you need to show the recruitment team that you appreciate the value that teams offer.
What’s It Like to Work at GM?
Working at GM comes with numerous benefits for employees, whether for your career development or happiness. The company extends incredible perks to ensure its employees stay productive while growing holistically in aspects listed below.
GM offers great pay since it’s a leading automobile corporation. Whether you are an entry-level or senior employee, your annual salary can range between $40,931 and $161,185.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
If you’re looking for a convenient working environment that allows you to contribute to creating superior solutions, GM is the company for you. This multinational corporation provides you with a favorable working environment where you can collaborate with supportive colleagues to impact the automobile industry.
Establishing a successful career is essential for any professional. As a result, GM provides numerous educational opportunities to help you enhance your career through professional development.
- Paid Time Off. General Motors offers paid time off, including parental leave, holidays, and vacation days.
- Relocation Assistance. Although not all positions are guaranteed, the American corporation helps some professionals to relocate. Usually, they state this offer on the specific job.
- Tuition Assistance. GM provides tuition assistance and student loan refinancing. You can leverage this benefit to ensure you accomplish your educational goals.
- 401k Savings Plan. GM cares about its employees’ financial well-being. Hence, it provides a 401k savings plan to secure their future.
- Healthcare. As a GM employee, you will enjoy wellness incentives and tax-advantaged health savings.
GM Career Opportunities: Job Titles and Descriptions
Whether you’re an entry-level or experienced IT expert, GM offers you numerous career opportunities to choose from. All you need is to fulfill the job requirements and showcase yourself as a competent candidate to secure your dream position.
- Salary: $115,925
- Benefits: Health savings account, paid holiday, life insurance, GM vehicle discounts
- Required Experience: Four years of working experience in data analysis
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline
This position involves analyzing and enhancing GM’s customer-facing products. This creative design role will involve collaborating with designers, engineers, and analysts on multiple issues. You will also work with complex data sets, build and analyze prototype pipelines, and contribute to the creation of great user experiences in all vehicle features, products, and platforms.
GM states its preferred qualifications, including a master’s or doctoral degree in a quantitative discipline, four years of previous working experience, and demonstrated skills in choosing the right statistical tools.
Senior Software Developer (Web)
- Salary: $113,000
- Benefits: Paid time-off, healthcare, and 401k saving plan.
- Required Experience: Seven years experience in web design, three years of professional experience in Angular and framework
- Required Education: Not stated
As a senior-level position, this job opportunity has high requirements, including seven years of experience building web applications, three years experience in framework and Angular, and vast experience in UI Design.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Cyber Security Software Engineer
- Salary: $94,833
- Benefits: Global recognition program, 401k savings plan, tuition assistance, and reduced GM car prices.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
This hybrid position is within GM’s IT organization, and it allows you to operate off-site with few visits to the office. However, the company expects you to visit the innovation center, its primary facility. This job opportunity is available in three locations, including Austin, TX, Detroit, MI, and Atlanta, GA.
This career path involves numerous responsibilities such as developing applications, championing enhancements in programming, creating quick prototypes, and performing technology evaluations.
System Engineer – Wireless Battery Management
- Salary: $100,447
- Benefits: Life insurance, 401k savings plan, tuition reimbursement
- Required Experience: Five years of the automotive industry, experience in vehicle spy, experience in software development
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
GM is looking for a competent system engineer. This professional will deal with creating system-level requirements, resolving BMS issues, and troubleshooting battery electronics. The position follows the hybrid work model, allowing employees to be onsite for one to three days.
To get through the hiring process successfully, you need a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, at last five years of working experience in the automotive industry, software development, Intrepid vehicle spy, and GM release software. If you have a master’s degree in computer engineering or a related field, you’ll have a competitive edge over the other candidates.
Content Designer/UX Writer
- Salary: $100,405
- Benefits: Compensation, paid parental leaves and vacation, student loan refinancing, healthcare
- Required Experience: 5+ years of technical, UX, and marketing writing, experience writing user-interface, product management, engineering
- Required Education: College degree in professional writing, communications, HCI, or relevant field
This career opportunity allows you to work remotely and build interfaces across different brands and platforms. It also offers you an opportunity to impact the tech world significantly as you will be creating essential mobile, web, in-vehicle, and wearable devices.
As a user experience writer, you will collaborate with team members to create a great user experience, write a wide range of exceptional interface copy, and define ideal ways to leverage data for content improvement. Some of the main values and skills you need to perform in this role include empathy, collaboration, deductive skills, and communication skills.
Automation Software QA Architect
- Salary: $89,658
- Benefits: Discount prices on GM cars, life and dental insurance, paid time off
- Required Experience: Five years of professional experience in test automation using Java or C#
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science, or a relevant field
This is a leadership position and it requires you to lead a team of dedicated software developers, business analysts, and QA engineers. Other duties include providing leadership-level demonstrations, support strategy creation, critical metric definition, and reporting.
This giant company also expects you to support analytical projects throughout the process and mentor junior software developers and QA engineers. Although the company states basic qualifications, it has preferred requirements that include at least eight years of previous working experience in advanced QA automation, experience with SDLC, and SAFE agile framework.
Full Stack Software Developer
- Salary: $89,618
- Benefits: 401k saving plan, healthcare, life insurance, and tuition assistance
- Required Experience: Experience as a software engineer
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent
This role requires you to create agile software apps using sound and standard methodologies. You will also write solutions and software according to the system specifications and requirements. As a role that requires a high level of coding and design, you need certain technical skills and professional experience.
Development and Validation (VDDV) Process Engineer
- Salary: $82,541
- Benefits: Health insurance, tuition reimbursement
- Required Experience: At least three years of working experience in product or manufacturing engineering
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, or related fields
This full-time position adopts a hybrid work model, giving you the liberty to balance your work and personal life. Some of the requirements of this job post include a bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, IT, or equivalent, and a minimum of three years of working experience in product or manufacturing engineering.
To perform exceptionally in this role, you need project management, collaboration, and problem-solving skills. In addition, the position comes with incredible benefits such as paid time off, a discount on GM motors, healthcare, dental insurance, and tuition assistance.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
ML Software Engineer
- Salary: $78,000
- Benefits: Tuition assistance, life insurance, reduced GM motor prices
- Required Experience: Experience working with big data, frameworks like Quarks, Azure DevOps
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline.
If you’re looking forward to joining a team that embraces innovation and speed, the GM IT team is the place to be. This job demands you to collaborate with your colleagues to design, build, and produce solutions. Some of the people you will work with include senior machine learning scientists, business users, and app development teams.
To work in this position, you need basic coding skills and other technical skills, including predictive modeling techniques, Agile development techniques, and object oriented analysis. If you want to further your education, you can leverage GM’s tuition assistance.
- Salary: $73,500
- Benefits: 401k savings plan, health insurance, paid parental leave
- Required Experience: Three years of experience in industrial design
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, environmental design, product design, related field, or equivalent
This career opportunity is in Warren, Michigan and it deals with the conceptualization and development of environments, exhibits, and other products. This role demands you use 2D and 3D digital models, mockups, and technology to create appealing design concepts. Other responsibilities include developing sketches, providing onsite presentations, and offering assistance in prototyping and fabrication.
What Does It Take to Get a Job at GM?
It takes fulfilling specific job requirements and standing out from the other candidates to get a job at GM. You can accomplish this by creating an amazing resume and cover letter and providing relevant answers to the interview questions. In addition, you should ensure you’re qualified for the position you’re applying for.
How to Get a Job at GM FAQ
The duration of GM’s hiring process is about six to eight weeks, depending on the position.
Yes, you can get an entry-level job by searching GM’s career page. You can get an entry-level job at GM as long as your resume demonstrates that you are qualified.
You can apply for a job at GM by submitting an application online. If you meet the required qualifications, you will be contacted for an interview. Ensure you prepare and practice basic interview questions.
GM’s hiring process includes an online assessment, drug screening, a background check, and a job offer.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.