If you’re passionate about creating superior automobile products and want to land a job with one of the best automotive manufacturing corporations in the world, you should consider General Motors (GM). This inclusive company adopts the latest in automotive technology and has fantastic job opportunities for talented people.
If you want to work at GM, this guide will walk you through the necessary steps, including the application process for General Motors. We also cover current GM jobs that are available, the General Motors hiring process, and information on what it’s like working at this prestigious company.
- General Motors (GM) is a renowned American car manufacturer with a strong global presence that offers diverse job opportunities for tech workers.
- To apply for a job at GM, candidates must submit an online application, undergo assessment tests, participate in interviews, and comply with background checks and drug testing.
- The GM hiring process is competitive, and candidates need to showcase their skills, passion, and ability to add value to the company.
- Working at GM comes with numerous benefits, including competitive salaries, 401k matching, health insurance, paid time off, tuition assistance, and career development opportunities.
- GM offers various job titles in technical fields, including data science, software development, cyber security, systems engineering, and content design.
- GM occasionally has entry-level job openings that candidates can search for on the company’s official website.
- GM provides work-from-home job opportunities, with some positions being fully remote and others adopting a hybrid model that requires occasional visits to the office.
GM: Company Background
General Motors (GM) is a renowned American car manufacturer. This multinational corporation designs, manufactures, and sells automobiles and components. Founded by Willian C. Durant in 1908, GM has grown to be the largest automobile company in the United States, as well as a leading manufacturer globally.
General Motors has made significant progress and impact in the automobile industry, creating and manufacturing affordable electric vehicles in mass. In addition, it continues to innovate electric starters and airbags.
How to Apply for a Job at GM
- Job Application. The first step to get a job at General Motors to submit your application online. Ensure you review the common qualifications such as college degrees, work permits, and previous working experience, depending on the role. You can find open general motors careers on its website.
- Assessment Tests Relevant to the Role. The most common assessment tests that candidates encounter during the General Motors hiring process include DIDI adaptive reasoning tests, personality tests, situational judgment tests, numerical reasoning tests, and verbal reasoning tests.
- Interview Process. After completing the test, you will be invited for an interview. Initially, you will have a phone interview followed by a face-to-face interview. Most of the career opportunities in this company involve a technical interview and special examination. It is vital you get across your passion to work at GM during your interview.
- Drug Test. GM hires under policies such as background checks and drug testing. Hence, before joining the leading automobile manufacturing corporation, you must comply with these conditions.
- Employment Offer. Once you succeed in the interview, the recruitment team will send you an employment offer. You should review the employment offer and if you are happy to work at GM, you can accept their terms and sign the offer.
GM Application Process
During the GM application process, it is necessary to evaluate whether your qualifications match the specific job requirements. Failure to meet even one of these requirements may eliminate you in the early stages of the hiring process. As well as submitting the General Motors application form, you must submit additional documents along with a resume and cover letter.
GM Interview Questions
- Why do you want to join GM? While addressing this General Motors interview question, ensure you demonstrate a strong work ethic, desire to learn, and creativity using specific past experiences.
- What are your strengths? This question demands you showcase your skills while giving real-world examples of how you leveraged them. You can draw on previous professional or personal experiences.
- What are your weaknesses? Unlike the second question, this is challenging for most candidates. Nevertheless, you can tell the recruitment team any real weakness you have and explain to them how you’ve been working to improve it.
- Can you work under pressure? As a leading automobile manufacturer, GM encounters massive demands that require your commitment regardless of the pressure. So, answer affirmatively and demonstrate how you will do so.
- Are you a team player? Since you will be collaborating with other employees, you need to show the recruitment team that you appreciate the value that teams offer. This is one of the key General Motors interview questions for management roles.
How Difficult Is It to Get a Job at GM?
It is quite difficult to get a job at GM because they receive a lot of job applications. The General Motors recruitment process involves several steps and you will face stiff competition at each stage. The other candidates you encounter will have accomplished more than the job qualification requirements.
Nevertheless, General Motors won’t hesitate to hire you if you showcase your skills and prove you can add value to the company and the automobile industry. This is something you will need to do during every step of the hiring process, from your initial application form to the face-to-face interview.
What’s It Like to Work at GM?
Working at GM comes with numerous benefits for employees, whether for your career development or happiness. The company extends incredible perks to ensure its employees stay productive while growing holistically in the aspects listed below.
Salary and Benefits
GM offers great pay since it’s a leading automobile corporation. Whether you are an entry-level or senior employee, your annual salary can range between $55,761 and $138,347, according to Indeed. The top-paying roles include group manager and senior software engineer.
Benefits include a GM 401k that matches eight percent, dental insurance, vision insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, and health insurance. General Motors also offers its employees a flexible spending account (FSA), mental health care, and onsite healthcare.
If you’re looking for a convenient working environment that allows you to contribute to creating superior solutions, GM is the company for you. This multinational corporation provides you with a favorable working environment where you can collaborate with supportive colleagues to impact the automobile industry.
Establishing a successful career is essential for any professional. As a result, GM provides numerous educational opportunities to help you enhance your career through professional development. Furthermore, there are plenty of General Motors internships available and according to Indeed, 97 percent of interns would recommend the company to a friend.
- Paid Time Off. General Motors offers paid time off, including parental leave, holidays, and vacation days. GM benefits like this are great for those with families or who plan on starting a family.
- Relocation Assistance. Although not all positions are guaranteed to have this General Motors employee benefit, they help some professionals to relocate if they are living far from General Motors offices. Usually, they state this offer on the specific job.
- Tuition Assistance. GM provides tuition assistance and student loan refinancing. You can leverage this benefit to ensure you accomplish your educational goals. This GM benefit can also be used for employees to upskill.
- 401k Savings Plan. GM cares about its employees’ financial well-being. Hence, it provides a 401k savings plan to secure their future. General Motors will pay 4 percent and match an additional four percent.
- Healthcare. As a GM employee, you will enjoy wellness incentives and tax-advantaged health savings. Healthcare plans are comprehensive and include a contribution to a triple tax-advantaged health savings account.
GM Careers: Job Titles and Descriptions
Whether you’re an entry-level or experienced IT expert, GM offers you numerous career opportunities to choose from. All you need is to fulfill the job requirements and showcase yourself as a competent candidate to secure your dream position. Continue reading for detailed information on some current General Motors jobs.
Data Scientist – Advanced Analytics
- Salary: $109,133
- Benefits: Health savings account, paid holiday, life insurance, GM vehicle discounts.
- Required Experience: Four years of working experience in data analysis.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline.
This position involves analyzing and enhancing GM’s customer-facing products. This creative design role will involve collaborating with designers, engineers, and analysts on multiple issues. You will also work with complex data sets, build and analyze prototype pipelines, and contribute to the creation of great user experiences in all vehicle features, products, and platforms.
GM states its preferred qualifications, including a master’s or doctoral degree in a quantitative discipline, four years of previous working experience, and demonstrated skills in choosing the right statistical tools.
Senior Software Developer (Web)
- Salary: $112,800
- Benefits: Paid time-off, healthcare, and 401k saving plan.
- Required Experience: Seven years experience in web design, three years of professional experience in Angular and framework.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
As a senior-level position, this job opportunity has high experience requirements, including seven years of experience building web applications, three years of experience in framework and Angular, and vast experience in UI Design. However, the General Motors software developer salary is highly competitive and includes excellent job benefits.
Cyber Security Software Engineer
- Salary: $94,833
- Benefits: Global recognition program, 401k savings plan, tuition assistance, and reduced GM car prices.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field.
This job is typically a hybrid position within GM’s IT organization. It allows you to operate off-site with few visits to the office as the company expects you to visit the innovation center, its primary facility. You will commonly find this General Motors job available in three locations, including Austin, TX, Detroit, MI, and Atlanta, GA.
This career path involves numerous responsibilities such as developing applications, championing enhancements in programming, creating quick prototypes, and performing technology evaluations.
System Engineer – Wireless Battery Management
- Salary: $150,821
- Benefits: Life insurance, 401k savings plan, tuition reimbursement.
- Required Experience: Five years of the automotive industry, experience in vehicle spy, experience in software development.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field.
This role requires a competent system engineer. This professional will deal with creating system-level requirements, resolving BMS issues, and troubleshooting battery electronics. This job at General Motors follows the hybrid work model, allowing employees to be onsite for one to three days.
To get through the hiring process successfully, you need a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field and at least five years of working experience in the automotive industry, software development, Intrepid vehicle spy, and GM release software. If you have a Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering or a related field, you’ll have a competitive edge over the other candidates.
Content Designer/UX Writer
- Salary: $94,213
- Benefits: Compensation, paid parental leaves and vacation, student loan refinancing, healthcare.
- Required Experience: 5+ years of technical, UX, and marketing writing, experience writing user-interface, product management, engineering.
- Required Education: College degree in professional writing, communications, HCI, or a relevant field.
This career opportunity allows you to work remotely and build interfaces across different brands and platforms. It also offers you an opportunity to impact the tech world significantly as you will be creating essential mobile, web, in-vehicle, and wearable devices.
As a user experience writer, you will collaborate with team members to create a great user experience, write a wide range of exceptional interface copy, and define ideal ways to leverage data for content improvement. Some of the main values and skills you need to perform in this role include empathy, collaboration, deductive skills, and communication skills.
Automation Software QA Architect
- Salary: $120,085
- Benefits: Discount prices on GM cars, life and dental insurance, paid time off.
- Required Experience: Five years of professional experience in test automation using Java or C#.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science, or a relevant field.
This leadership position requires you to lead a team of dedicated software developers, business analysts, and QA engineers. Other duties include providing leadership-level demonstrations, support strategy creation, critical metric definition, and reporting.
This giant company also expects you to support analytical projects throughout the process and mentor junior software developers and QA engineers. Although the company states basic qualifications, it has preferred requirements that include at least eight years of previous working experience in advanced QA automation, experience with SDLC, and SAFE agile framework.
Full Stack Software Developer
- Salary: $127,947
- Benefits: 401k saving plan, healthcare, life insurance, and tuition assistance.
- Required Experience: Experience as a software engineer.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent.
This role requires you to create agile software apps using sound and standard methodologies. You will also write solutions and software according to the system specifications and requirements. As a role that requires a high level of coding and design, you need certain technical skills and professional experience.
Development and Validation (VDDV) Process Engineer
- Salary: $103,698
- Benefits: Health insurance, tuition reimbursement, GM motors discount, paid time off.
- Required Experience: At least three years of working experience in product or manufacturing engineering.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT, or related fields.
This full-time position adopts a hybrid work model, giving you the liberty to balance your work and personal life. Some of the requirements of this job post include a bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, IT, or equivalent, and a minimum of three years of working experience in product or manufacturing engineering.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
To perform exceptionally in this role, you need project management, collaboration, and problem-solving skills. In addition, the position comes with incredible benefits such as paid time off, a discount on GM motors, healthcare, dental insurance, and tuition assistance.
ML Software Engineer
- Salary: $78,000
- Benefits: Tuition assistance, health and life insurance, reduced GM motor prices.
- Required Experience: Experience working with big data, frameworks like Quarks, Azure DevOps.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline.
If you’re looking forward to joining a team that embraces innovation and speed, the GM IT team is the place to be. This job demands you to collaborate with your colleagues to design, build, and produce solutions. Some of the people you will work with include senior machine learning scientists, business users, and app development teams.
To work as a GM software engineer you need basic coding skills and other technical skills, including predictive modeling techniques, Agile development techniques, and object-oriented analysis. The General Motors software engineer salary is very generous and the role comes with strong benefits. For example, if you want to further your education, you can leverage GM’s tuition assistance.
- Salary: $78,952
- Benefits: 401k savings plan, health insurance, paid parental leave.
- Required Experience: Three years of experience in industrial design.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, environmental design, product design, related field, or equivalent.
This career opportunity deals with the conceptualization and development of environments, exhibits, and other products. This role demands you use 2D and 3D digital models, mockups, and technology to create appealing design concepts. Other responsibilities include developing sketches, providing onsite presentations, and offering assistance in prototyping and fabrication.
What Does It Take to Get a Job at GM?
If you want to work at GM, you must fulfill specific job requirements and stand out from the other candidates. You can accomplish this by creating an amazing resume and cover letter and providing relevant answers to the interview questions. As a minimum, you should ensure you’re qualified for the position you’re applying for.
The General Motors hiring process is difficult, as most candidates will go above and beyond the basic job. However, there is a wide range of jobs available at GM, with a lot of postings available as hybrid or remote positions. Moreover, some of these positions only require candidates to hold a bachelor’s degree.
How to Get a Job at GM FAQ
The GM hiring process takes about six to eight weeks, depending on the position. Candidates will typically send an application form online, provide a resume and cover letter, and attend at least one interview.
Can I get an entry-level job at GM?
Yes, you can get an entry-level job at GM. The best way to find these jobs is to search the listings page on the official General Motors site. Some entry-level job titles at GM include entry-level data analyst, entry-level accountant, and entry-level information technology.
Is there a hiring freeze at General Motors?
Unfortunately, there is currently a partial General Motors hiring freeze due to the negative effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. This means that the job application process is currently incredibly slow, and it is very difficult to get hired by GM as things stand.
Does General Motors have work-from-home jobs?
Yes, there are GM work-from-home jobs available. Some of these positions are fully remote, while others are hybrid. The hybrid positions require employees to visit an on-site office intermittently. These jobs have the same benefits as in-person positions and help employees maintain a flexible work-life balance.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.