The great state of Ohio isn’t solely known as the birthplace of the Wright brothers, or as the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There is an ever-growing number of possibilities in Ohio, especially for determined job seekers from around the country,
Ohio is experiencing a surge in new jobs and economic growth that are specific to the state. This business growth can be attributed to the recent success of some of the largest companies in Ohio and a great business climate. Numerous companies across various industries are offering candidates exciting new roles in their organizations. In this article, we’ll be exploring the largest companies in Ohio, as well as the jobs they offer to job seekers.
How We Defined the Largest Companies in Ohio
You might be wondering how we define the criteria for our list of the biggest companies in Ohio. The answer isn’t as complicated as you might think. Ohio is a moderately large state that is home to a variety of businesses both large and small, as well as businesses with a high or low budget.
Our largest company rankings will be determined by the number of employees that each business has. The list of companies below may not be the biggest companies by revenue, but it includes those that have hired the most people.
The Top 10 Largest Companies in Ohio
|Rank||Company||City||Number of Employees|
|3||Procter & Gamble||Cincinnati||101,000|
|7||Marathon Petroleum Corporation||Findlay||57,900|
|8||American Electric Power Company||Columbus||16,787|
|9||Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center||Cincinnati||16,497|
Kroger Company, also known simply as Kroger, is an American retail giant that was founded in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1883. Employee retention is high at Kroger. Staff members usually stay for about three and a half years. Kroger pays its employees an average salary of $31,512 per year, which is higher than its competitors in the Ohio area.
Jobs Available at Kroger
- Pharmacy technician. While providing assistance to pharmacists and customers, pharmacy technicians also model, demonstrate, and enforce the company’s core values of integrity, fairness, diversity, and safety.
- Asset protection specialist. Preventing and reducing losses from bad debt, over and under-cashing and civil liabilities are all part of an asset protection specialists’ responsibilities. They also reduce shrink, improve margins, and comply with company policies and state and federal laws when working.
- Ecommerce department lead. They manage the store’s ecommerce department on a daily basis by assisting the ecommerce manager.
Where to Find Kroger Jobs
You can find all available positions at your local Korger or on the Kroger website.
Innovating high-value interactions with customers at every stage of the customer journey, Centrix is a recognized leader in innovative technology, services, and solutions. Concentrix has a remarkably diverse workforce. In fact, 60 percent of employees are women and 38 percent belong to ethnic minorities. On average, employees stay with the company for 2.9 years. Employees make an average salary of $35,501 annually at Concentrix.
Jobs Available at Concentrix
- Data science specialist. They provide statistical analysis and data science support to clients across a variety of industries. Utilizing SAS, R, Python, or other statistical tools, data science specialists provide data science analysis and support to meet analytical plans or client needs.
- Contact center performance business analyst. They use MS Excel Pivot tables, crosstabs, or other tools to analyze qualitative and quantitative data and identify performance improvement opportunities. They also determine the areas for operations based on the assessment of performance gaps.
- Data analytics platform designer. As data analytics platform designers, they establish and enhance the overall enterprise data architecture strategy. Using big data, cloud technology, and other trending technologies, this role is responsible for the implementation, integration, and expansion of data warehouse systems.
Where to Find Concentrix Jobs
If you’re looking for a job at Concentrix HQ in Ohio, then you don’t have to go far. The company offers job seekers a simple application process through their career portal. Just visit the Concentrix career page and start your job search from there!
3. Procter & Gamble
Procter & Gamble targets global consumers with branded goods. There is an unusually diverse workforce at Procter & Gamble, in which 40% of employees are female and 40% are minorities. Staff members at the company tend to stay for 5.6 years on average. Procter & Gamble employees make an average of $51,819 annually.
Jobs Available at Procter & Gamble
- Plant technician. Plant technicians perform a variety of tasks, such as operating and maintaining automated equipment, computers, or distribution systems.
- Data scientist. Data scientists provide insight into complex manufacturing systems. Their teams consist of highly skilled R&D scientists and engineers with expertise in manufacturing and data infrastructure.
- Warehouse associate. The duties of this job might include driving a forklift or supporting a manual production line, as well as supporting automated warehouse equipment.
Where to Find Procter & Gamble Jobs
Visit the Procter & Gamble career portal to search for jobs, apply for them, and find out more about Procter & Gamble. You will be contacted once your application has been submitted. By using online assessments, P&G assesses skills and accomplishments that are not always apparent from interviews.
4. National Machinery
National Machinery manufactures cold and warm forming machinery, process technology, and customer support services. They have been in business for many years. The company was founded in 1874. National Machinery’s average salary is $43,555 per year.
Jobs Available at National Machinery
- Engineer. In this position, they develop optimum design specifications by working closely with other engineering departments. They also conduct design reviews with senior engineers and perform calculations, analyses, and computations.
- CNC lathe machinists. They make parts according to specifications using blueprints and drawings. They also utilize various machining tools on CNC and manual machines to manufacture accurate precision parts.
- Field service assembler. They follow blueprints and instructions to assemble components into the finished product. They also assure a high quality of work.
Where to Find National Machinery Jobs
If you’re interested in a career with the National Machinery team, you can visit their job portal. Their career portal offers job seekers a comfortable tool to land a position within the company.
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has its headquarters in Ohio. As one of the larger employers in the state, the company employs about 72,000 people and operates 55 facilities in 23 countries. Their employees stay on average for 6.5 years, which is a great retention rate. Goodyear Tire employees make an average wage of $45,186 annually, which is competitive for the industry.
Jobs Available at Goodyear
- Product research technician. They use a variety of test equipment including Mooney viscometers, gas chromatographs, and differential scanning calorimetry. They ensure all communication with operations technicians and customers is clear.
- Systems engineer. They establish and maintain specifications for embedded systems and cloud software for standalone and cross-functional projects. They also define system and software requirements by analyzing stakeholder needs.
Where to Find Goodyear Jobs
The leading tire and rubber company in North America has set up a career portal on their website. Applicants can use the Goodyear website to apply for a wide variety of jobs in Ohio. Find an open position at Goodyear and join the talented community.
6. Morgan Services
Since 1887, the Morgan company provides linen and uniform services to facilities and business partners of all types. There are 60,348 employees at Morgan Services, and the company generates $40.1 billion in revenue annually. Employees are drawn to the company due to its friendly co-workers and approachable management.
Jobs Available at Morgan Services
- Sales representative. Through every phase of the sales process, sales representatives interact directly with customers. Customer service representatives identify a client’s needs, pitch appropriate products, and ensure there is a positive experience from start to finish.
- Plant worker. Workers at a distribution center typically perform physical labor, operate machines, maintain the area to ensure it is safe for people, and manage storage containers.
- Product research technician. They communicate with customers and operations technicians clearly. They also conduct research on product quality and market viability.
Where to Find Morgan Services Jobs
Start your career with Morgan Services from their career portal. The interview process at Morgan Services is rated as medium according to applicant and employee rankings. Typically, the interview process takes one to two days.
7. Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is an American energy company based in Findlay, Ohio that refines, markets, and transports petroleum. The average length of employment at the company is 4.6 years. Marathon Petroleum employees make around $57,000 on average per year.
Jobs Available at Marathon Petroleum Corporation
- Business operations analyst. Using data analytics, They develop recommendations and present actionable information to decision-makers in order to contribute to the organization’s goals and strategies.
- Retail payments analyst. They manage all aspects of retail payments including preparing management reports and analyzing results for insights and action. They also contribute to cost-saving projects.
- Refining planning engineer. As part of the forecasting process, they examine unit and tank farm constraints, market prices, product demands, and feedstock availability. They also identify and optimize constraints in tech service and operations.
Where to Find Marathon Petroleum Corporation Jobs
Joining the Marathon Petroleum team has never been so easy. You can apply for a position at Marathon from the comfort of your home. Just visit their job portal and start your application process from there.
8. American Electric Power Company
American Electric Power Company, Inc. (AEP) generates, transmits, and distributes electricity. The national average salary for an American Electric Power employee is $65,860 per year.
Jobs Available at American Electric Power
- Technology manager. Utilizing industry trends and best practices, they drive innovation and new technologies. They also manage a high-performance team focused on customer experience and report to the supervising director.
- Economic forecast analyst. They work on developing moderately complex analytical tools to solve high-value business problems across AEP. They establish actionable, insight-providing analyses in collaboration with business unit partners across many core business areas. They also present analytic results in a concise, insightful way.
- Payroll specialist. They manage the workflow to ensure the accurate and timely processing of payroll transactions. They process payroll and verify special payments like relocations, bonuses, deferred compensation, and manual payments.
Where to Find American Electric Power Jobs
Find a career at AEP by visiting their career portal. Access the career portal for American Electric Power from their website. You can do so by clicking the dropdown menu on the AEP home page.
9. Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center is a health care services company. It is dedicated to improving the health care of children from across Ohio, as well as from around the world. Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center employees make an average salary of $48,352.
Jobs Available at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center
- IT service desk analyst. They assist employees and hospital affiliates with all IT needs. They manage and track incidents to ensure timely resolution. They also work with users and colleagues effectively and collaboratively.
- Marketing specialist. They aid the marketing team in managing and executing marketing tactics within divisional marketing plans.
- Tech-Operations. They improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of operations. They also identify ways to improve the quality, cost, and utilization of medical technology.
Where to Find Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Jobs
Cincinnati Children’s offers rewarding career opportunities in pediatric healthcare. You can find job postings on their company website. Just access the menu bar and click on their career portal.
10. The J.M. Smucker Company
Founded in 1897 by Jerome Monroe Smucker, the J.M. Smucker Company produces a variety of confectionery consumer products. It makes a variety of jams, jellies, and other foods. Approximately 6.5 years is the average tenure of employees at the company. The average employee at J.M. Smucker Co. makes $61,631 annually.
Jobs Available at J.M. Smucker
- Mechanical technician. They provide advanced service and repair of machines and mechanical systems. As needed, they also initiate and execute improvement projects.
- Aviation mechanic. They ensure the aircraft is properly serviced and inspected before and after each flight. They also maintain the aircraft’s airworthiness as needed.
- Developer, IS operations analytics. They assist in developing and delivering analytics visualizations. They construct software by writing code. They also support existing business processes using standard operating procedures.
Where to Find J.M. Smucker Jobs
Find job opportunities and careers at The J.M. Smucker Company by visiting their career portal. The portal can be accessed through the J.M. Smucker company website.
Do Any Large Companies in Ohio Hire Bootcamp Grads?
Yes, many large companies will hire bootcamp graduates. Online bootcamps are a great way to learn technical skills in a fast, inexpensive way. Bootcamps prepare graduates for a future career in the tech industry or any other field that requires applicants to possess deep knowledge of coding, programming, or even team management.
Businesses in Ohio are looking for qualified employees who can bring their experience and knowledge to the table. Since bootcamps help you develop your knowledge, they are an excellent tool to impress potential hiring managers. Ohio companies that are looking for UI/UX developers, programmers, and other technically skilled professionals benefit from hiring bootcamp graduates.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Largest Companies in Ohio FAQ
According to Statista, Cardinal Health was the largest publicly traded company with headquarters in Ohio in 2021. Cardinal Health topped the list with 152.92 billion dollars in revenue.
Walmart maintains its crown as the largest employer in Ohio, holding the top spot it seized from Cleveland Clinic, a year ago.
Ohio has a diverse economy, low cost of living, and a tax structure that is friendly to businesses, which all lead to optimal business growth. In addition, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus rank among the top 25 real estate markets for millennials, according to a 2020 survey.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are 850,961 small businesses in Ohio, and 227,339 of them employ people. The remaining 623,622 small businesses in Ohio operate without any employees. In addition, there are many large businesses and corporations in Ohio as well.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.