In a world where companies releases software products left and right, the measure of a successful product launch ultimately comes down to quality. Does the product exhibit amazing functionality? Does it have bugs that disrupt product performance? Does it crash, freeze, or randomly restart?
For a product to stand out, it has to be nearing perfection. And while there is no such thing as bug-free software, there are professionals who can reduce the impact of software bugs on users. Enter, quality assurance (QA) testers and engineers, the hidden assets of product teams.
Think of QA testers and engineers as the editors and proofreaders of the tech world, with their eyes trained to detect bugs and defects in new software, app, or program. Any issues spotted are then fixed by the development team before the product is released to the public. In effect, QA testers and engineers save companies a lot of time and money they would’ve otherwise spent fixing the issues post-launch.
With the value they bring to the table, it’s not surprising why there has been an increasing demand for QA professionals. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for QA analysts and QA testers are slated to grow 25 percent by 2030—significantly faster than the average job growth across occupations. This figure translates to approximately 162,900 job openings every year over the next decade.
Put another way, there’s no shortage of opportunities for you to launch your career in this emerging field.
But what if you do not have the skills nor the necessary experience yet to become a QA professional? Well, the good news is you do not need a four-year degree to break into quality assurance. In fact, you’ll only need as little as three months to learn the right skills and launch your career.
Meet TEST PRO.
What Is TEST PRO?
TEST PRO is one of the few bootcamps in the United States to offer specialized training programs in quality assurance and software testing. Founded in 2018, the Los Angeles-based bootcamp seeks to give anyone who wants to break into tech—but would normally not have the time nor resources—the chance to do so with its short-term yet intensive courses. These include:
- Parents. You can build your schedule and work from home, without giving up family time.
- Office workers. You can expand your skillset and finally get the chance to work remotely.
- Immigrants and digital nomads. You can learn and earn from anywhere in the world.
- Students. You can start earning at least $4,000 monthly while studying and be two steps ahead of your peers
- Career changers. You can rewrite your career and find satisfaction in a job that pays well.
Despite only being in the bootcamp space for three years, TEST PRO has quickly risen to becoming one of the best software testing bootcamps. In fact, TEST PRO reports that its graduates now work at top-tier tech companies such as Google, Amazon, and PlayStation.
TEST PRO is a specialized QA bootcamp that offers short yet intensive QA Engineering and SDET courses for anyone looking to break into tech—no prior coding experience or knowledge required.Join a free workshop to learn more.
TEST PRO Courses and Tuition
At the time of writing, TEST PRO offers two courses that specialize in QA Engineering and SDET. Both courses span nine weeks, with lessons delivered live online or in-person by instructors. These live lessons allow instructors to engage with students, who may need more guidance to understand complex concepts.
TEST PRO records each of its lectures, so you can watch the material and keep up with your cohort if you miss a class. You can also choose to learn fully online, fully in person, or with a mix of both depending on where you reside.
The best part? TEST PRO has designed its programs to be beginner-friendly, meaning you will only need basic computer skills to qualify; no coding experience required.
QA Engineer Course
- Tuition: Pay $3,860 up front. Career Karma readers get 20% off for a discounted cost of $3,216
- Financial Assistance: Training grants and scholarships available
As the name implies, this course prepares learners for careers in QA engineering and manual testing. The program is 100 percent flexible, with a schedule that requires you to attend classes only three times per week. What’s more, the very first lesson is offered for free.
Think of it as a trial lesson that allows you to test-drive the course. If the first lesson does not meet your expectations or preferred learning style, you can opt out of the program at no cost to you.
If you decide to push through with the program, expect to cover the following concepts:
- SDLC (Systems Development Life Cycle) and STLC (Software Testing Life Cycle), such as the different methodologies and software used in these fields
- Roles and responsibilities of a QA Engineer
- How to write test cases, checklists, defects, and test plans
- Different types of testing and how to apply them to real projects
- Test documentation
- Modern application architecture, web applications, and mobile applications for Android and iOS
- Databases such as SQL, how to test them, and what tools to use
Apart from technical training, the program also comes with a built-in career prep section that will equip you with the critical job search skills you’ll need to land a job. You will learn how to optimize your resume, ace job interviews, and more.
In sum, the QA Engineering course offers full learning and career support and plenty of opportunities to put your skills to practice. As TEST PRO reports, around 79 percent of its QA Engineering Bootcamp graduates secured jobs within three months post-program, with wages averaging $35 per hour.
- Tuition: Pay $6,897 up front. Career Karma readers get 20% off for a discounted cost of $5,749
- Financial Assistance: Training grants and scholarships available
Unlike QA testers who only examine digital products after the development stage, SDETs work together with developers during the code-writing process. They’re involved in all phases of development, from product design to support. As such, TEST PRO’s SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test) Course is designed to be comprehensive, ensuring that you learn the technical skills needed to keep up with the development team.
The curriculum comprises three main modules:
- QA Engineer Fundamentals. This part of the course covers the same topics as the stand-alone QA Engineer course. Expect to explore the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC), and learn the different types of testing, modern application architecture, and web applications.
- Core Java. If there’s one programming language that you must learn to become an SDET, it’s Java. Java is widely considered the language for software application development. For four weeks in the program, you will learn core Java concepts and reinforce your knowledge with practice tests along the way. Learning Java will also allow you to write test automation scripts with Selenium WebDriver.
- Selenium WebDriver. You will spend six weeks covering the ins and outs of Selenium, a powerful framework that automates web application testing and allows developers to release application changes or updates faster. This module will challenge you to work on an automatic regression project for a real company—a worthwhile experience that you can later add to your portfolio.
TEST PRO reports that 92 percent of students who graduated from its SDET course landed jobs within three months, with wages averaging $55 per hour.
Start Your QA Career with TEST PRO
As the saying goes, “it is quality rather than quantity that matters”—a philosophy that has become more poignant in product development. With consumers demanding digital products that meet their needs, the pressure to produce quality apps and programs is mounting. At the same time, hiring for skilled quality assurance professionals continues to grow, a trend that has created opportunities for aspiring tech professionals.
If you’re one of them, TEST PRO offers you the chance to leap into this growing field and launch your QA career—whether you’re a parent, career starter, mid-career professional looking for a change or an immigrant.
Ready to take the leap? Sign up for TEST PRO’s free workshop and learn more about how they can help you start a new career and change your life.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.