This Arcadia University review will hopefully help you decide if this school is a good match for you. It pays to have clear expectations of your prospective school. Besides your education experience, you must also look into the college campuses, the culture, and campus life.
College is the beginning of an independent experience, but you need to consider the Arcadia University cost, city life, and program expenses. The cost of living is a huge consideration wherever you go.
This article gives you all the information you need to make an informed decision. We’ve also included Arcadia University rankings, according to US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. Attending an accredited institution is also essential, so we look at Arcadia University’s accreditation.
All About Arcadia University
Arcadia University is a co-ed private school founded in 1853 and has now established itself as one of the top-ranked private universities in Philadelphia. It is among the well-sought-after schools and named as one of the best value colleges with an innovative approach.
The school has a total enrollment of 3,700 students and a student-to-faculty ratio of 13-to-one. This four-year institution has six colleges and schools offering undergraduate degrees. The College of Global Studies looks into the Arcadia abroad programs for international study.
The beautiful campus has amazing buildings. Arcadia’s most distinguished building is the Grey Towers Castle. This is a National Historic Landmark within the campus, home to first-year students and administrative offices. Food and dining at the castle is an experience with walnut paneling, woven tapestries, and painted panels on the ceiling.
Where Is Arcadia University Located?
The 76-acre Arcadia University is located in Glenside, Pennsylvania. The beautiful castle on campus has a French renaissance feel and is surrounded by lush, green grass. The building often hosts lectures, panel discussions, and capstone presentations.
Arcadia University is about 25-minutes north of Center City, Philadelphia. The Glenside campus is conveniently situated at the intersection of Easton Road, Route 309, and Route 73 (or Church Road).
Public transportation is a viable option for students because of the campus location. You can reach the campus using The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), with the closest station being the Glenside Station. SEPTA bus routes #22, and #77 also stop on Easton Road, opposite the Arcadia campus.
Is Arcadia University Accredited?
Arcadia University is institutionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. This institutional accrediting agency is recognized by the US Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Additionally, different degree programs are individually accredited.
Is Arcadia University Legit?
Yes, Arcadia University is legit. The school has many accreditations and is known as Philadelphia’s global university. It is a co-educational and private establishment with approximately 3,300 students.
Arcadia University Student Reviews
According to Unigo, many students say from personal experience that Arcadia University is an excellent school. They call it their home away from home and state that the campus is small enough for everyone to know each other. They cultivate an atmosphere of fun in class with lively discussions with professors. The only downside one student found was the poor quality of the food on campus.
Another review on Cappex reveals a comfortable environment where students enjoy city life. The reviewer mentions that the campus becomes a ghost town on weekends as everyone hangs out with their friends off campus.
Another student states that the school is ideal for those who want something smaller as it means that professors are accessible for questions and help. It is a safe school that allows access to the amenities in the city but stays on the outskirts.
Arcadia University Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
Currently, Arcadia University has no complaints based on the Better Business Bureau website. There are also no complaints submitted against the university.
Arcadia University Rankings
Arcadia University ranked eighth nationally in the study abroad category and first in the state of Pennsylvania. According to US News & World Report, it is also identified as an A+ School for B students and tagged as a top social mobility performer.
In September 2021, Arcadia was also included as one of the Best Northeastern schools for the seventh consecutive year by the Princeton Review. Arcadia University’s graduate program specific to Education and Public Health also ranked among the top programs nationwide. Below, we’ll look at more Arcadia University rankings.
Arcadia University US News & World Report Ranking
The university made it to the top regional universities in the north. It is currently ranked 44th among the top 34 percent of schools in this classification. The school also secured third place among the universities and colleges in Philadelphia.
Arcadia University Times Higher Education Ranking
The school ranked between 501 to 600 in the US college rankings by Times Higher Education. It bases the ranking on 15 key performance indicators intended to answer common questions that directly impact a student and their families.
Arcadia University Graduation Rate
Arcadia University’s graduation rate is 62 percent, according to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). A graduation rate is an important aspect to look at when choosing a school. Most schools offer student services to help you through your educational experience. Check if the school offers a career development center or career fairs. Many schools also assist in setting up mock interviews and helping students write resumes.
Arcadia University Admissions
Arcadia University receives over 9,000 applications annually. About 70 percent of students are female, leaving 30 percent male. First-year students need to submit their applications along with transcripts and recommendations. Submitting SAT or ACT scores is optional.
Arcadia University Acceptance Rate
Arcadia University’s acceptance rate is 82 percent, according to the NCES. The average grade point average (GPA) of accepted students is about 3.7. The average SAT score is 1,147, and ACT is 24.
Will You Get Into Arcadia University?
Yes, you will get into Arcadia University if you meet all the requirements and submit the correct paperwork. Although this is a competitive school, everyone has a strong chance of being accepted. Last year, just over 9,000 prospective students applied to get into Arcadia University, and the school admitted over 6,500.
How to Apply to Arcadia University
Arcadia University has a straightforward admissions process. It requires practical things like an application form and test scores. Prospective students can also submit an essay, extracurricular activities, and acting auditions, but these are all optional.
- Submit your application. Create an account or sign in to Arcadia University’s Common App. Follow the prompts and complete the form.
- Submit your documents. Incoming students must submit grade reports or high school transcripts with their filled-out application. This is the time to submit the optional requirements like SAT/ACT scores and essays.
- Apply for scholarships and financial aid. The school awards scholarships on a rolling basis, so it’s a good idea to apply early.
- Wait for the notification. The school notifies prospective students of their application status within a few weeks of receiving the application documents.
- Settle the enrollment fee. Admitted students must settle the $400 enrollment fee to secure their spot in the incoming classes. Accepted students must let the school know before May 1 if they will attend.
Arcadia University Cost
|Expense||Arcadia University Cost|
|Arcadia University Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$46,220|
|Arcadia University Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||N/A|
|Arcadia University Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$27,311|
|Arcadia University Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||N/A|
|Arcadia University Books and Supplies||$1,500|
|Arcadia University On-Campus Room and Board||$14,170|
|Arcadia University Off-Campus Room and Board||$21,400|
According to the NCES, the average cost of attending the undergraduate programs of Arcadia University, including the tuition and other school fees, is $46,220. In-state and out-of-state students pay the same annual tuition fee. Using the national level as a baseline, the tuition fee at Arcadia University is expensive.
Other expenses like room and board, dining, meal plans, and other subject-specific requirements are not yet included in this cost. The outright cost can be overwhelming, but many Arcadia university students qualify for the school’s financial aid programs and scholarships to help lower their school expenses. Ninety-nine percent of undergraduates receive financial assistance.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Cost of Living in Glenside, Pennsylvania
According to PayScale’s cost of living calculator, the cost of living index in Glenside, PA, is 19 percent higher than the countrywide average. This amount is based on numerous considerations like housing, career, and transportation.
Housing in Glenside is 70 percent higher than the national average. Utility prices are 10 percent higher, transportation is 13 percent higher, and food and grocery costs are 17 percent more than the national average. Healthcare is one percent lower than the national average.
Arcadia University Financial Aid
Arcadia University’s financial aid programs benefit many need-based students. The school helps 99 percent of its students through grants or scholarships. Thirty-eight percent of Arcadia’s students receive federal grants. Twenty-seven percent receive a state or local government grant or scholarship. The school received over $12 million in financial aid.
We’ve listed five scholarships below, but the school provides more than this for undergraduate and graduate students. Some are small amounts, while others cover tuition and living expenses. Eligible students must apply for a scholarship when they submit their application as early as possible.
Arcadia University Scholarships
- Arcadia Merit Scholarships. As long as a student keeps a good academic record, they can renew their Arcadia University merit scholarship. Merit-based scholarships cover tuition only, but students may receive scholarships outside the school to cover other costs.
- The Arcadia University Distinguished Scholarship. This scholarship recognizes academic excellence, community service, and leadership abilities for first-year or transfer students. Students can get up to $28,000 annually towards their degree expenses.
- The Arcadia University Achievement Award. This is another award for outstanding achievement in school activities, volunteer work, or community service. Students could receive from $1,000 to $4,000 per year.
- Arcadia University Campus Achievement Award for Returning Students. This is a need-based scholarship for a student who has completed one semester at Arcadia. They must demonstrate financial need, be involved, show leadership ability, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Arcadia University Sister Cities Scholarship Program. This is for full-time undergraduates pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Applicants must be residents of Philadelphia’s sister cities and meet all the admissions requirements.
Arcadia University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
According to the NCES College Scorecard, the average median earnings of Arcadia graduates is $52,008. Sixty-two percent of graduates are in full-time employment, while 28 percent are continuing their education. Graduates who studied biomedical sciences receive a median salary of $44,234. Those with a Master’s Degree in Clinical, Counseling, and Applied Psychology receive a median annual salary of $43,369.
Arcadia University Notable Alumni
Arcadia has several notable alumni. These graduates used the knowledge and skill they learned at Arcadia University to change the world and positively impact their communities. Some notable alumni include theater director Julianne Boyd, US counterintelligence executive William R. Evanina, and New Hampshire state legislator Marjorie Smith.
Arcadia University Campus Life
Arcadia is a well-balanced community university that encourages student involvement. The student population includes all kinds of people from various backgrounds who unite to support sporting events. The school mascot is a knight, apt with a stately castle on the beautiful campus.
The university has over 60 organizations and clubs for students. Being part of the organization broadens the students’ social circle and allows space for personal growth. The student body is supportive, transparent, and open to communication.
Arcadia’s life on campus is not limited to the university perimeters as students are encouraged to explore further and be involved in the Glenside community. The school promotes a balance between learning, extracurricular activities, and social life.
Arcadia University Academics
Arcadia University is known for its arts and humanities, social sciences, sciences, and business programs. Students can choose from 65 fields to study for a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree. The university understands that most students are uncertain of their field of study, so it makes academic support services available to all students. This program provides students with guidance as they explore all viable opportunities.
Arcadia University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|College of Arts and Sciences||Bachelor in Fine Arts in Acting, actuarial science bachelor’s, art history bachelor’s, art therapy bachelor’s, graphic design bachelor’s, biomedical and biology bachelors, forensic science bachelor’s, data science bachelor’s|
|College of Health Sciences||Bachelor’s or Doctorate in Pre-Physical Therapy, pre-physician assistant bachelor’s, Bachelor of Science in Public Health|
|School of Education||Education early entry bachelor’s, masters, and certification, Bachelor’s in Education Studies, Bachelor’s in PreK-4 Education|
|School of Global Business||Bachelor’s in Accounting, Bachelor’s in Business Administration, Bachelor’s in Healthcare Administration, Bachelor’s in International Business and Culture, Bachelor’s in Sport Management|
|International Affairs / College of Global Studies||Global Field Study – Spanish, Italian, and French, global media major, Peace Corps prep|
Arcadia University Faculty
All students are working with professional, tenured, and excellent teachers. Each faculty member at the university shares a goal and commitment to ensuring all students remain successful in their chosen academic field.
Arcadia students enjoy small class sizes with a 13-to-one student-faculty ratio. Students are encouraged to communicate openly with faculty members and enjoy lively class discussions. The academic and faculty advisers and the Office of Career Education make themselves available from the first day on campus.
Popular Arcadia University Majors
Popular Arcadia majors include biology, psychology, and computer science. Choosing a major can be overwhelming. Committing to a specific field of study for first-year students is a significant life decision and ultimately will affect any student’s future career. The university offers more than 140 programs.
Arcadia University Biology
Biology is one of the top majors at the university. The program provides students with a thorough comprehension of biological principles and the core life sciences. It taps into related areas of chemistry, physics, and math.
Arcadia University Biology Jobs
- Biological Technician. This career involves setting up, cleaning, and maintaining the laboratory equipment and instruments used to take samples like scales, test tubes, and microscopes. Biological technicians conduct experiments, collect bacteria cultures, and help in laboratory analysis.
- Microbiologist. Microbiologists look very closely into the details of microscopic organisms, including their morphologies and development. Microbiologists typically earn a median salary of $79,260 annually.
- Biology Teacher. Biology teachers teach high school students in an engaging way. They teach environmental science, genetics, life sciences, and scientific principles. Part of teaching is evaluating the learning progress of every student.
Arcadia University Psychology
The psychology program focuses on an evidence-based or research-based approach. This is the recognized standard in healthcare care programs. It encourages students to collect their data, evaluate it, and provide conclusions based on their gathered evidence.
Arcadia University Psychology Jobs
- Psychometrist. This job entails administering psychological tests and scoring them in a clinical setting. However, interpreting the results and data needs to be forwarded to a licensed psychologist.
- Human Resource Personnel. This is an entry-level job for psychology graduates who prefer an organizational environment.
- Family and Marriage Therapists. Focused on positive behavioral improvement in family relationships, therapists under this umbrella work in a clinical or private practice setting. The average pay of graduates working as therapists is $40,000 to $100,000.
Arcadia University Computer Science
The university’s computer science program covers many areas in the innovative world of technology. It includes data science, artificial intelligence, cloud computing, cyber security, and networking.
Arcadia University Computer Science Jobs
- Business Analyst. Indispensable in any organization, this job requires attention to detail. You must know how to interpret big data sets, as data evaluation is a core responsibility. Data information is a reliable basis for improving any organization’s processes and making better decisions.
- Software Developer. Highly in-demand, software developers create, build, program, deploy, and maintain software systems necessary in networks. A software developer receives a median salary of $110,140.
- Systems Analyst. This field involves creating diagrams and flowcharts to assist programmers in building a computer system. They analyze the technology needed by a company to improve its efficiency.
Arcadia University Media and Communications
The media and communications program is a well-balanced academic program of theory and practice. It equips students for careers involving editing, technical and creative writing, visual communication, and video production. Professional internships are available and promoted locally or through the Arcadia Abroad programs. International education is an exciting way to be fully immersed in culture and language abroad.
Media and Communications Jobs
- Social Media Manager. With society almost reliant on digital and social media, this profession leverages these social networks and other online platforms to communicate on behalf of an organization.
- Public Relations Officer. This job entails the management of how the public receives information. The goal of public relations is to create and maintain an excellent public image.
- Sales Person. Jobs that entail sales in insurance, retail, travel, real estate, and manufacturing require above-average written and verbal communication capabilities. This is necessary to pitch and close deals and gain a network of loyal customers.
Arcadia University Criminology
Criminology students have an incredible experience with this university’s criminology and forensics program. The school provides hands-on investigation and cold case practicums in its crime scene house. This learning experience will significantly impact how the students handle future cases.
Arcadia University Criminology Jobs
- Criminologist. Criminologists look at the whole picture of why someone would commit a crime. They study and read patterns and look for solutions to prevent the crime from happening again. Criminologists earn a median salary of $49,000 per year but can earn up to $91,000 annually.
- Criminal Investigator. Criminal investigators gather evidence and interview witnesses to solve a crime. They often work in the FBI, police department, or a law enforcement agency.
- Probation Officer. This job involves working closely with convicted criminals who are serving time outside of jail. Probation officers have a significant role in ensuring that these offenders abide by their supervision conditions to successfully rejoin communities.
Is Arcadia University Worth It?
Yes, Arcadia University is a good university. The school environment is ideal for students who enjoy a smaller, close-knit community. Many campus students have reviewed the school by saying it is a fantastic school with helpful teachers and beautiful buildings on campus.
Although attending Arcadia University is more expensive than other schools, students enjoy life on campus and the academic opportunities that the school offers. Students say the only downside is the food on campus, but it embraces different types of students who want a promising future career.
Arcadia University Review FAQ
In most circumstances, you do not need to choose your major when applying for admission to Arcadia University. The school understands that as an incoming first-year student, you are not 100 percent certain about what you want to do with your future. A current student can confirm their major in their sophomore year.
No, Arcadia University does not allow fraternities or sororities. It is a smaller private university with over 60 organizations and clubs for students. Students can also participate in team sports like baseball, basketball, volleyball, and field hockey.
Internet is provided in the on-campus rooms of Arcadia University. Each apartment has an Internet connection, and the campus has wireless access. Students must have their own cell phones, and the school does not provide cable television.
Housing is guaranteed for the first two years of your stay and study at Arcadia University. As much as the university wants to guarantee housing to all students after the sophomore year, it is not provided.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.