New York is known the world over as a place of tremendous career opportunity. There are numerous high-quality institutions offering a wide variety of programs. If you wish to study computers and information systems, here are the best computer engineering schools in NY.
This guide is a comprehensive walkthrough of institutions in New York offering high-quality computer engineering programs and a well-structured breakdown of each institution. You’ll find out the best bachelor’s, master’s, and PhD programs listed in NY computer engineering school rankings. You’ll also discover a couple of programs offered partially or totally online.
How to Choose a Good Computer Engineering School in NY
When selecting the right computer engineering school in NY for you, you should consider a few factors, including accreditation, the quality of the institution, and the availability of financial aid programs. Below we’ll break down each consideration in more detail.
Accreditation by a reputable regional or national agency is the first factor to consider when selecting a college in NY to study computer engineering. An accredited institution has demonstrated the capacity to offer high-quality training in the subject matter. In this case, the accreditation agencies to consider are ABET and MSCHE.
Quality of Institution
You can gauge the quality of an institution based purely on rankings. Highly ranked universities tend to offer better quality education. Other things to look at are the quality of the faculty, whether the institution has a department that caters to students, and the resources available. All these items can help you make an informed decision.
Availability of Financial Aid
Tuition fees can be a major hurdle in a student’s pursuit of education. Without proper planning, you could end up repaying student loans for decades. Considering an institution with financial aid options is important. Many schools offer grants, scholarships, student loans, and work-study programs. Take advantage of these opportunities to offset your total tuition fees.
NY Computer Engineering School Rankings: What Schools Have the Best Computer Engineering Programs in NY?
|Computer Engineering School||Top Undergrad Program||Top Grad Program||US News Ranking|
|Cornell University||ECE Bachelor of Science (BS)||PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering||9|
|Columbia University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||Master’s in Computer Engineering||21|
|Rochester Institute Of Technology||Computer Engineering
Bachelor of Science Degree
|Electrical and Computer Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree
|Clarkson University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering||56|
|University at Buffalo||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||Computer Science and Engineering MS||63|
|New York University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||Computer Engineering, MS||63|
|University of Rochester||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||Master’s Electrical Engineering Degree||72|
|Syracuse University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||Master of Science in Computer Engineering||72|
|Stony Brook University||Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering||PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering||72|
|Binghamton University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering||114|
NY Computer Engineering Schools Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Computer Engineering Schools in NY
To rank the best computer engineering schools in NY, we used US News & World Report’s breakdown of the best engineering program as a guide. We also took into consideration the subject-specific rankings conducted by Times Higher Education, as well as factors such as graduation rate, acceptance rate, and affordability.
Best Computer Engineering Schools in NY Explained
In the following section, we will dive deeper into each of the top ten best computer engineering schools in NY. We’ll go through an overview of each institution and the computer engineering department, along with the top five computer engineering courses offered by each institution.
Best Undergraduate Computer Engineering Schools in NY
The best undergraduate computer engineering schools in NY are community colleges that offer accredited computer engineering programs, or universities with high-quality bachelor’s degrees. We’ll find out more about the schools that offer the best associate and bachelor’s programs below.
Best Computer Engineering Associate Degree Schools in NY
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred | Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology. This program provides the knowledge and skills for students to become high-quality technicians and technologists. The institution is ranked number one in New York, with a graduation rate of 54 percent and fully transferable credits.
- Jamestown Community College | Associate of Science in Computer Science. This two-year program focuses on software design and development in preparation for a career in computer software, network administration, and cyber security and programming. Meanwhile, Jamestown Community College has a graduation rate of 35 percent.
- Clinton Community College | Associate of Applied Science in Computer and Electronics Technology. This program provides students with skills in electronics and information technology. A minimum of 60 credits are required for a student to graduate from the institution which has a graduation rate of 33 percent.
- SUNY Corning Community College | Associate of Science in Computer Science. This program educates students on the design and implementation of system software. It provides the first two years of a Baccalaureate in Computer Science with numerous transfer options. SUNY Corning has a commendable graduation rate of 33 percent.
- Genesee Community College | Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems. This associate degree allows transfer credits to a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems. The program teaches students basic knowledge to advance into another degree. It can be completed in a hybrid format or on campus.
Best Computer Engineering Bachelor’s Degree Programs in NY
- Cornell University | Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Cornell is among the most prestigious institutions in the world. It’s no surprise that their computer engineering undergraduate major is considered the best in the country by US News & World Report. This program helps students develop intellectual strength in math, physics, and computers.
- Columbia University | Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering. This program incorporates the curricula of both electrical engineering and computer science for a solid foundation in the skills and knowledge necessary for a career in computer engineering.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute | Computer & Systems Engineering. SUNY Polytechnic Institute trains students in engineering fundamentals and application-specific domains while focusing on design experience, practical skills, and teamwork. Rensselaer Polytechnic is ranked 43rd in the best engineering programs in the United States, according to US News & World Report.
- Rochester Institute of Technology | Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering Technology. This program offers student training in the utilization of hardware and software for a wide range of real-world challenges. A total of 87 percent of students graduate from this program with average starting salaries of $72,200 in the first year.
- New York University | Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering. This program offers a comprehensive analysis and design curriculum that provides outstanding education in computer systems. Students also get access to sponsored research and affiliate programs at the Center for Advanced Technology in Telecommunications and the Offensive Security, Incident Response, and Internet Security Lab.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Best Graduate Schools for Computer Engineering in NY
The best graduate schools in computer engineering in NY offering both masters and PhD programs include Cornell University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and Rochester Institute of Technology. Below we will break down the top graduate programs offered by these schools.
Best Schools for Master’s in Computer Engineering in NY
- Cornell University | Master of Engineering in Electrical and Computer Engineering. This program offers advanced training in current technology and engineering design with individualized curriculum planning for students from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Columbia University | Master of Science Computer Engineering. This program covers some of the most exciting topic areas that lie between Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. In addition, Columbia University is known to offer some of the best engineering programs in the world.
- New York University | Master of Science in Computer Engineering. This program offered by the College of Engineering and Computer Science teaches the principles of design and integration of computer components and systems. It also offers students a chance to collaborate with industry and government agencies to gain practical experience.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute | Masters in Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering. This graduate school program offers students the chance to enhance their knowledge and skills through research and innovation and potentially gain access to lucrative career roles.
- Rochester Institute of Technology | Master of Science in Computer Engineering. This program focuses on the adoption of design methodology and application of sophisticated engineering tools in computer integrated systems development. Ninety-seven percent of students graduate from this course and earn an average salary of $110,000 in their first year.
Best PhD in Computer Engineering Universities in NY
- Cornell University | PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering. This program prepares you for a successful career in teaching or research and development through cutting-edge study and vigorous coursework. Considering it is offered by an Ivy league research-focused institution, it’s one of the best PhD programs you can find.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute | PhD in Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering. This graduate program, with a rigorous curriculum, is designed to shape problem solvers in the rapidly evolving computer engineering discipline.
- Stony Brook University | PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering. This program offers students an opportunity to venture into research and teaching to advance their knowledge and make meaningful contributions to the field.
- Rochester Institute of Technology | Electrical and Computer Engineering PhD. This interdisciplinary graduate program gives students the opportunity to build research in a specialized field. Students will need to pass a qualifying exam and defend a dissertation.
- Syracuse University | Doctor of Philosophy in Computer/Information Science and Engineering. This program is geared towards students with research interests in topics associated with the computer engineering field. It emphasizes mastery of a field of knowledge, use of research techniques, advancement of knowledge, and effective idea communication.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Best Online PhD Programs
Admission Requirements for Computer Engineering Schools in NY
The basic admissions requirements for computer engineering schools in NY are different for undergraduate and graduate students. For undergraduates, the requirements gravitate towards your performance in high school or pre-university education. Graduate student requirements focus on how you performed in your undergraduate program.
Computer Engineering Schools in NY: Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Completed application
- Official high school transcripts
- High school counselor’s recommendation and school profile
- SAT or ACT scores
- IELTS/TOEFL scores for international students
- Letters of recommendation
- Non-refundable application fee
Computer Engineering Schools in NY: Graduate Admission Requirements
- Completed graduate application form
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Official transcripts from undergraduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to 3.0 (depending on the institution)
- Two letters of recommendation
- GMAT or GRE scores (if required)
- IELTS or TOEFL test scores (international applicants)
- Personal statement of education objectives
Is It Hard to Get Into a School for Computer Engineering in NY?
Yes, it is hard to get into a school for computer engineering in New York. Computer engineering is a technical program that requires good math and science scores for acceptance. Some schools may have an open admission policy that accepts all students with basic requirements, these educational opportunities are not specialized or as valued in the engineering employment field.
Easiest Colleges to Get Into in NY for Computer Engineering
- CUNY Graduate School and University Center | Acceptance Rate: 100%. This institution has an open admission policy which means all students who apply are accepted. It offers a computer science PhD that prepares students for leadership roles.
- Pace University | Acceptance Rate: 83%. This institution has a high acceptance rate, making it an easy option for prospective students. It offers a Master of Science in Software Development and Engineering and a software development and engineering certificate.
- Manhattan College | Acceptance Rate: 78%. This institution generally accepts most students who present a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average. It offers both a Bachelor’s and Master’s in Computer Engineering.
- Rochester Institute of Technology | Acceptance Rate: 74%. RIT is a top research institution with an above average acceptance rate. Most students who apply get admitted. It offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs in computer engineering.
- SUNY College at Oswego | Acceptance Rate: 69%. This institution considers students’ SAT and ACT scores but does not require them during admission. It offers a Bachelor’s of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
How to Get Into the Best Colleges and Universities
Best Online Schools for Computer Engineering in NY
The best online schools for computer engineering are New York University and Genesee Community College. Not many universities offer online programs in the state, but these two have at least one or two online programs in computer engineering. Here is a breakdown of the graduation rates for the top online computer engineering programs offered, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
|School||Graduation Rate||Top Online Computer Engineering Program|
|New York University||87%||Master of Science in Cybersecurity|
|Genesee Community College||30%||Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems|
The Most Affordable Colleges for Computer Engineering in NY
The most affordable colleges for computer engineering in New York are CUNY City College, SUNY College in Oswego and Stony Brook University. These institutions offer affordable tuition and often incorporate financial aid opportunities for students to cover their fees conveniently. Let’s break down the tuition costs of the five most affordable institutions in New York.
How to Attend the Top Computer Engineering Schools in NY With Financial Aid
The most convenient way to attend top computer engineering schools in NY is by taking advantage of financial aid opportunities to cover most of your tuition costs. There are several federal and state funding opportunities including the FAFSA and New York State funding opportunities. Let’s look at some of these opportunities.
Best Computer Engineering Scholarships for NY Students
- NYS Memorial Scholarship | Amount: $24,880. This program is awarded to students who are financial dependents of firefighters, police officers, and medical service workers who died while serving the State of New York. It covers tuition, books, supplies, transportation, and other costs.
- Ascend Educational Fund | Amount: $20,000. This scholarship is awarded to immigrant students graduating from a New York City high school to attend a college or university in the state regardless of ethnicity or background. The application deadlines are the first of March, May, August, and December.
- NYS STEM Incentive Program | Amount: $7,070. This scholarship is awarded to students who are New York Residents attending a public degree-granting institution in New York State with the promise to live and work in the state for five years after graduation. The application deadline is August 22, 2022.
- New York State HESC Tuition Assistance Program | Amount: $5,665. This scholarship helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved institutions in the state. Students can apply through the FAFSA and the application deadline is August 31, 2022.
- Judy Corman Memorial Scholarship and Internship from Scholastic | Amount: $10,000. This scholarship is awarded to students interested in communications and media relations and are rising juniors or seniors in college who will fulfill a paid internship in Scholastic’s New York office. The application deadline is January 26, 2023.
NY Employment Outlook for Computer Engineering
New York’s employment outlook shows a a growth rate in computer engineering jobs with a two percent increase from 2020 to 2030. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts there will be about 4,500 openings for computer hardware engineers every year. Most of these openings will come as a result of workers transfering to other professions or retiring.
Highest-Paying Computer Engineering Careers in NY
|Computer Engineering Job||Computer Engineering Degree||Average Salary in NY|
|Computer and Information Research Scientists||Master’s degree||$133,660|
|Software Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts, and Testers||Bachelor’s degree||$129,950|
|Computer Hardware Engineers||Bachelor’s degree||$120,320|
|Computer Systems Analysts||Bachelor’s degree||$109,920|
|Computer Programmers||Bachelor’s degree||$93,510|
Best Computer Engineering Jobs in NY Explained
The best computer engineering jobs in NY are some of the highest-paid roles across all industries. The highest-paid professionals are computer and information research scientists who make an annual salary of over $130,000. On the lower side, computer programmers will earn around $93,000 per year depending on engineering specialties and degree levels.
Does It Matter What Computer Engineering School in NY I Go To?
Yes, it matters what computer engineering school in NY you go to. Every school of engineering is unique and will offer a different type of education. Top-ranked institutions such as Cornell and Columbia have the best faculty and resources to offer high-level design training in computer engineering.
The college of engineering you plan to attend must be accredited by relevant regional and national agencies. Additionally, a high graduation rate is a good indicator of how well alumni regard the quality and value of education offered by the college.
Additional Reading About Computer Engineering
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/jobs-for-computer-engineering-majors/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-schools-for-computer-engineering/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-certifications-for-computer-engineers/
Best Computer Engineering Schools in NY FAQ
The State University of New York at Buffalo, also known as the University of Buffalo, is the best SUNY institution for computer engineering. It has options for graduate and undergraduate students, and some of the best accelerated computer engineering degrees.
City College of New York is the best CUNY school for computer engineering. The institution offers both a Bachelor’s and Master’s in Computer Engineering which is geared toward training students on the design, analysis, and application of computers.
Yes, New York is good for computer engineering. It’s a very diverse state with some of the leading companies in all industries, including computer engineering. It has a good career placement rate through internships and many job opportunities for engineering undergrads. The city of New York also has some top-rated coding bootcamps, such as Flatiron School, Nucamp, and General Assembly.
The difference between computer engineering and computer science is the focus area of each program. Computer engineering involves the combination of electrical engineering principles with computer science to enable the design and development of computing systems. Computer science emphasizes computing theory, with a major focus on cyber security, algorithms, and computer networks.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.