With today’s developments in data analytics, artificial intelligence, and game design, computer science fields continue to flourish. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, computer and information science research jobs are projected to grow by 22 percent by 2030, making them some of the fastest-growing professions worldwide. Those planning a career in computer science should carefully consider their education options.
Besides sunny beaches, Florida offers excellent college programs to help you jumpstart your career. This article features the best computer science schools in Florida. We looked at key factors such as school rankings, tuition, and graduation rates to determine our Florida computer science school rankings. We’ve also included the most affordable computer science schools in Florida.
How to Choose a Good Computer Science School in Florida
To choose a good computer science school in Florida, make sure that the school is accredited and its tuition matches your education budget. Some other important factors to consider include the school’s student services, employment outcomes, and graduation rates.
The best computer science schools in Florida feature robust student services to ensure that students have an excellent learning experience and an easier time finding a job after graduation. Look for things like student counseling, financial aid advising, internship placement, and job preparation services, like help with resume writing and interview skills.
One way to determine the effectiveness of a school’s computer science programs is by checking the employment outcomes. The school’s official website usually features statistics on how quickly students obtain employment in their field after graduation and how much money they make. You can also call the school and ask if they can provide these numbers.
Another way to determine the quality of a school’s programs and overall education is through its graduation rate. A high graduation rate indicates that the school is successful in delivering what it set out to deliver and that students are receiving what they aimed to receive. This can give you confidence that you will be able to reach your education goals at the school, as well.
Florida Computer Science School Rankings: What Schools Have the Best Computer Science Programs in Florida?
|Computer Science School||Top Undergrad Program||Top Grad Program||US News Ranking|
|Florida State University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#82|
|Florida International University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#122 (tie)|
|University of Miami||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#122 (tie)|
|Florida Atlantic University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#146|
|Florida Institute of Technology||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#159|
|Nova Southeastern University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#199|
|Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#202 (national overall)|
|Palm Beach Atlantic University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#299-391 (national overall)|
|Saint Leo University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#29 (Regional Universities South)|
|Full Sail University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||N/A (#232 Niche’s Best Colleges for Computer Science)|
Florida Computer Science Schools Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Computer Science Schools in Florida
To rank the best computer science schools in Florida, we used US News & World Report’s breakdown of the best computer science programs as a guide. We also took into consideration the subject-specific rankings conducted by Times Higher Education, as well as factors such as graduation rate, acceptance rate, and affordability.
Best Computer Science Schools in Florida Explained
Below we offer a closer look at the best computer science schools in Florida. You will find the school’s acceptance rates, graduation rates, and national rankings. We’ve also provided details about their specific computer science programs, including admission requirements and program overviews.
Best Undergraduate Computer Science Schools in Florida
The best undergraduate computer science schools in Florida are reputable for offering solid associate and bachelor’s degree programs. These degrees are good postsecondary education options for students who want to increase their knowledge and skills in a subject and enter the workforce in a relatively short amount of time.
Best Computer Science Associate Degree Schools in Florida
- Seminole State College of Florida | Associate of Science in Computer Science. At this college, you will have access to small class sizes, affordable tuition, multiple university transfer pathways, and online degree learning options. Tuition is approximately $3,131 per year.
- Florida State College | Associate of Science in Computer Information Technology. This degree program will give you the basic foundations of information technology. You can use it to land entry-level jobs in IT or to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.
- Pensacola State College | Associate of Arts in Computer Science. If you are looking for an entry-level position in tech, you can use this 60-credit degree program to become a junior web developer, junior software developer, or entry-level information security analyst.
- South Florida State College | Associate of Arts in Computer Science. This two-year degree program requires you to complete 60 credits and can help you transfer to a four-year degree program in a relevant field. You can also use it to be eligible for entry-level job opportunities in Internet technology, computer programming, software design, hardware production, and network technology.
- Valencia College | Associate of Arts in Computer Science: Degree Pathway. This degree program can help you master the basics of C programming. It is designed for students who plan to transfer to University of Central Florida as a junior.
Best Computer Science Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Florida
- Florida Polytechnic University | Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. This four-year program offers concentrations in autonomous systems, game development, software engineering, information assurance, big data analytics, and cyber security. You can transfer the 120 credits of this program to a Master’s Degree in Computer Science program or a master’s degree in a related field.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University | Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. This degree program allows you to focus on cyber security engineering, business administration, human factors, or homeland security. To graduate, you must complete at least 120 credits.
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University | Bachelor of Computer Science. This ABET-accredited program will teach you the basics of computer science. The 120-credit program is excellent if you intend to have a career in an engineering environment.
- Stetson University | Bachelor of Computer Science. You can build theoretical knowledge and practical skills in computer science through this four-year program. Specialize in computer science, computer information systems, or cyber security.
- Barry University | Bachelor of Computer Science. This four-year degree program provides students with access to 3D printing, Linux and Windows servers, and a technological laboratory. You will also have the advantage of a small class size, academic support, and a hands-on learning experience. If you require financial support, you will also have access to a $17,000 scholarship award.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Best Graduate Schools for Computer Science in Florida
The best graduate schools for computer science in Florida prepare students to become experts in their field. Some offer online options or evening classes to suit busy professionals’ schedules. These schools give their students a clear advantage over their peers in a highly competitive job market.
Best Schools for Master’s in Computer Science in Florida
- Florida International University | Master of Science in Computer Science. This advanced 30-credit degree program from one of the US’ top-ranked computer science schools educates students via state-of-the-art computer applications. It features a thesis and non-thesis option. The school also provides graduate degrees in information technology, cyber security, data science, and telecommunications and networking.
- Palm Beach Atlantic University | Master of Science in Computer Science. This master’s degree program is available online for students and professionals looking for a flexible learning schedule. Graduates of the program are eligible for jobs as computer scientists, advanced analysts, computer programmers, and information systems specialists.
- Full Sail University | Master of Science in Computer Science. You can complete this advanced degree program in less than 12 months. Its focus is on teaching computer science foundations, artificial intelligence, and software development theories, concepts, and best practices.
- Northcentral University | Master of Science in Computer Science. This master’s program, with an online option, requires 10 courses and 30 credit hours to graduate. Students often complete the program within 16 months.
- University of Florida | Master of Science in Computer Science. This 30-credit degree program teaches computer architecture principles, operating systems databases, programming languages, computer networks, and data structures. You have the option to pursue a thesis or non-thesis program.
Best PhD in Computer Science Universities in Florida
- Nova Southeastern University | PhD in Computer Science. This research-oriented degree program offers advanced education in programming languages, database management, and other computer science subjects while providing students with the tools and skills needed to solve real-world problems in the computer science field.
- Florida Atlantic University | PhD in Computer Science. This doctoral program focuses on cyber security, artificial intelligence, machine learning, data analytics, computer networking, and cloud computing. You can pursue this advanced degree on campus or fully online.
- University of Central Florida | PhD in Computer Science. This advanced degree program in computer science will give you a broad background in programming systems, languages, and computer architecture. Graduates are prepared for positions in academia, industry, and government sectors through their acquired knowledge and skills in computer science.
- Florida Tech University | PhD in Computer Science and Engineering. This Doctor of Philosophy program, the highest level of education for computer science and engineering students, requires extensive research in the field, plus a minimum of 72 semester hours beyond the bachelor’s degree to graduate.
- University of Florida | PhD in Computer Science. This engineering-based computer science doctoral degree program offers students an excellent opportunity to master computer hardware and software. You must complete 30 credit hours beyond a master’s degree to graduate.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
Best Online PhD Programs
Admission Requirements for Computer Science Schools in Florida
The basic admission requirements for computer science schools in Florida are different for undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduate admission requirements include a high school diploma or GED, letters of recommendation, official transcripts, and standardized test scores. Graduate programs require a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, a statement of purpose, an updated resume, and official transcripts. Find out more about admission requirements for computer science schools in Florida below.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Computer Science Schools in Florida: Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Official high school transcripts
- Letter of intent or statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- ACT or SAT scores
Computer Science Schools in Florida: Graduate Admission Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Statement of purpose or letter of intent
- Letters of recommendation
- Updated resume
Is It Hard to Get Into a School for Computer Science in Florida?
No, it is not hard to get into a school for computer science in Florida. Many have a high acceptance rate for their programs. In the section below, we’ve provided information on the easiest colleges to get into in Florida for computer science. However, note that a degree from a school with a high acceptance rate can sometimes carry less weight than a degree from a more selective school.
Easiest Colleges to Get Into in Florida for Computer Science
- Indian River State College | Acceptance Rate: 100%. This college features an open-admission policy. The associate degree program in computer information technology is a good choice to gain entry into the tech field.
- Full Sail University | Acceptance Rate: 100%. This university also has an open-admission policy. It offers both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree program in computer science.
- Hodges University | Acceptance Rate: 100%. The university’s open-admission policy makes it easy to enroll in its computer science programs, which can help you specialize in cyber security or software development.
- Keiser University | Acceptance Rate: 97%. Keiser University doesn’t require any standardized tests for admission. Consider the Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems to gain a solid foundation in information technology.
- Palm Beach Atlantic University | Acceptance Rate: 92%. Take advantage of Palm Beach Atlantic University’s high acceptance rate to get accepted into its bachelor’s or master’s degree program in computer science.
How to Get Into the Best Colleges and Universities
Best Online Schools for Computer Science in Florida
The best online schools for computer science in Florida offer remote students just as good an education as they do their on-campus students. A school’s graduation rate is indicative of its ability to deliver to students what it has set out to deliver. The statistics in our table below of the best online schools for computer science in Florida came from the National Center for Education Statistics.
|School||Graduation Rate||Top Online Computer Science Program|
|University of Florida||72%||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
|Florida State University||83%||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
|University of Central Florida||75%||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
|Florida Atlantic University||55%||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science|
|Florida International University||67%||Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science|
The Most Affordable Colleges for Computer Science in Florida
The most affordable colleges for computer science in Florida offer a solid education at an affordable price. They include University of Central Florida, Florida Atlantic University, Florida Gulf Coast University, Florida State University, and Florida National University-Main Campus.
How to Attend the Top Computer Science Schools in Florida With Financial Aid
To attend the top computer science schools in Florida with financial aid, you must demonstrate your financial need or your outstanding academic or other school-related performance. The best way to cover the costs of your computer science program is through scholarships, which you don’t need to pay back. Here are the best computer science scholarships in Florida.
Best Computer Science Scholarships for Florida Students
- Florida State Golf Association Scholarship | Amount: Up to $3,000. To qualify for this scholarship award, you must be a Florida resident and US citizen for at least a year. It’s open to high school seniors who demonstrate financial need, meaning their household income is less than $125,000. The scholarship is renewable for four years.
- CSE Douglas W. Hood Pathways Scholarship | Amount: $1,500. This University of South Florida scholarship award is open to high-achieving undergraduate students who wish to pursue a computer science program.
- Google Student Veterans of America Scholarship | Amount: $10,000. In partnership with Student Veterans of America, Google provides $10,000 to student veterans pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science. You must be a full-time student with a strong academic performance.
- Lockheed Martin STEM Scholarship | Amount: $10,000. You can be eligible for this scholarship award if you enroll in an engineering or computer science program at a four-year accredited college or university. You must also be a US citizen and demonstrate a financial need. The scholarship is renewable three times, to cover four years of school.
- Florida Bright Futures Scholarship | Amount: Full tuition coverage. Scholarship eligibility requires students to have a high school diploma and be Florida residents. The scholarship also requires you to enroll in a degree or certificate program at an accredited institution after high school graduation.
Florida Employment Outlook for Computer Science
The Florida employment outlook is good. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate in Florida has been on the decline recently. From December 2021 to May 2022, the rate of unemployment dropped from 3.5 percent to three percent. This is good news for graduates from Florida’s computer science colleges, as it indicates that they’ll have an easier time getting a job.
Highest-Paying Computer Science Careers in Florida
|Computer Science Job||Computer Science Degree||Average Salary in Florida|
|Computer and Information Systems Managers||Bachelor’s degree||$146,310|
|Computer Network Architects||Bachelor’s degree||$111,580|
|Software Developers||Bachelor’s degree||$105,200|
|Information Security Analysts||Bachelor’s degree||$102,850|
|Computer Systems Administrators||Bachelor’s degree||$81,840|
Best Computer Science Jobs in Florida Explained
The best computer science jobs in Florida are computer network architecture, computer and information systems management, information security analysis, computer system administration, and software development. Before you settle on any career path, consider the average salary, employment numbers in Florida, overall job growth, and best Florida computer science program for each of these high-paying jobs.
Does It Matter What Computer Science School in Florida I Go To?
Yes, it matters what computer science school in Florida you go to. Each institution offers different learning programs, experiences, and outcomes. Consider the factors we mentioned at the beginning of this article and our lists of schools to select the best computer science degree program for you. Remember to consider the tuition rate, reputation of the school, curriculum, and career services offered.
Additional Reading About Computer Science
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/cheapest-online-computer-science-degree/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/computer-science-certifications/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/degree-in-computer-science/
Best Computer Science Schools in Florida FAQ
No, it’s not hard to study computer science if you are interested in mathematics and programming. Complete beginners can begin to master computer science concepts given that they enroll in credible degree programs.
Yes, you can study computer science online in Florida. Look into the online programs at Florida State University, University of Florida, Florida International University, University of South Florida, Florida Institute of Technology, and Hodges University.
Tech companies with offices in Florida include Lockheed Martin, Citrix, Datamaxx, Electronic Arts, Sykes Enterprises, and FARO. There are also some companies that relocated to Florida during the pandemic, including Blackstone, Citadel, and Goldman Sachs.
The highest-paying career in computer science is software development director. According to PayScale, software development directors earn an average of $148,067 per year. You can increase your salary potential by acquiring professional certifications or higher degrees.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.