If you love the idea of designing, testing, and building operating systems, you’ll want to look for the best schools for computer engineering. There are a wide variety of schools offering everything from undergraduate studies to doctoral degrees.
Engineering students can choose many degree tracks in the best computer engineering universities and colleges. Each track has core classes and elective courses in its program of study, and engineering students need critical thinking and problem-solving skills to excel in the engineering discipline.
This article lists the best computer engineering schools and the highest paying jobs in computer engineering. If you’re looking for internships, we give you the top three internships for computer engineering. Microsoft, Google, and Apple are continuously looking for competent computer engineers.
Best Computer Engineering College and University Rankings: Top 10 Computer Engineering Schools at a Glance
|US News Ranking
|Carnegie Mellon University
|University of Arizona
|University of California-Irvine
|University of California-San Diego
|University of Houston
|University of Miami
|University of Utah
Computer Engineering School Rankings: Best Computer Engineering Colleges and Universities
Computer engineering school rankings will help you choose the best computer engineering colleges and universities. Most schools require you to fill out an online application and pay an application fee. The best computer engineering schools allow you to transfer college credit when beginning a bachelor’s or master’s degree.
Individual universities have unique admission requirements, but most want you to send school transcripts to prove your high school education. Later, you can request your previous school to send the official transcripts.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Best Bachelor’s Degree Programs
The Best Schools for Computer Engineering: Types of College Degrees and University Programs Offered
The best schools for computer engineering include many universities and colleges across the US. The best computer engineering universities are research-based universities offering students top-notch laboratories and research facilities.
Computer Engineering Community College Certificate
Computer engineering community college certificates are typically subject-based. Certificate programs from accredited institutions can help you gain credits toward an associate degree. Community colleges are affordable public schools that give students options for furthering their education. A certificate course in computer engineering can take up to a year to complete.
Computer Engineering Associate Degree
An Associate Degree in Computer Engineering is an undergraduate degree that lasts two years. Associate degrees usually form part of the first two years of a bachelor’s degree. It is also a way to get into an entry-level job to begin your career early. You will gain experience while you work and choose to study for a bachelor’s later.
Computer Engineering Bachelor’s Degree
A computer engineering bachelor’s degree studies is a hardware-focused degree that teaches students to design, develop, and test computer systems. A bachelor’s degree typically requires a minimum of 120 credits and takes four years to complete.
Computer Engineering Master’s Degree
A master’s degree usually consists of a minimum of 30 credits and takes approximately two years to complete. Some accelerated options take less time. A master’s degree has become the new norm for career advancement. It is an advanced degree that will teach you in-depth problem-solving techniques that are in demand in computer engineering careers.
Computer Engineering Graduate Certificate
A computer engineering graduate certificate is usually taken between a bachelor’s and a master’s degree. Students can transfer certificate credits toward a master’s degree. They are short, subject-focused courses at a graduate level.
Computer Engineering Doctorate
A computer engineering doctorate is a research-based degree that can take four to six years to complete. A PhD usually requires a minimum of 60 credits and leads to occupations in academia or research. PhD candidates need to have completed a master’s degree in the same or a related field. Many doctoral degrees require a few transferred credits from a master’s program.
Comparing Popular Degree Options
Best Computer Engineering Schools: Other Computer Engineering University Rankings
We’ve made choosing the best school for computer engineering a little easier by listing relevant information about the best programs. One of the best ways to find the best school for you is to consider your specific needs and interests.
Best Online Computer Engineering Schools
- Arizona State University. An online computer engineering degree from Arizona State University offers quality faculty and a variety of online computer engineering courses. The school provides support services, tutoring, and a large student community.
- Saint Cloud State University. Saint Cloud’s online computer engineering bachelor’s degree has a curriculum that provides hands-on experience with real-world projects. The school offers fieldwork sponsored by industry. It focuses on computer software and hardware and includes physics, math, and chemistry.
- Regent University. The online computer engineering bachelor’s degree requires 126 credit hours. Students will study Christian principles alongside 88 credit hours of core requirements. Core courses include math, physics, systems, design, and programming.
Best Community Colleges for Computer Engineering
- Montgomery County Community College. Montgomery County Community College is a good college for computer engineering because it has a strong computer engineering program. In addition, the college offers a variety of resources and supports that can help students succeed in their studies.
- George C. Wallace Community College. The Associate of Science in Computer Engineering at Wallace Community College is a stepping stone for students to transfer to a bachelor’s degree at an accredited Alabama institution.
- CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College. The Associate of Science in Computer Science offers students programming fundamentals, math, and software development courses. This degree can be used for entry into a bachelor’s program in computer engineering.
Best Undergraduate Schools for Computer Engineering
- Carnegie Mellon University. Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is an excellent undergraduate school for computer engineering because it has a renowned computer science department. The faculty at CMU are experts in the field and are constantly updating their coursework to reflect the latest advances in computer technology.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). MIT’s computer science and engineering bachelor’s degree requires 180 to 184 credits. The in-depth course covers math for computer science, programming languages, artificial intelligence, and algorithms.
- Regent University. Regent University offers a well-rounded curriculum that includes programming, computer architecture, and systems analysis courses. The university has a strong technology infrastructure, allowing students to get hands-on experience in this 126-credit bachelor’s degree program.
Best Graduate Schools for Computer Engineering
- Cornell University. The computer engineering master’s programs at Cornell University are well-respected and known for their strong focus on practical applications. The school also has a well-developed research infrastructure, which provides students with many opportunities for collaboration and hands-on learning. Cornell University offers a Master of Engineering and a PhD program.
- University of Illinois. The Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering requires 32 credit hours. These hours must include 24 credits of elective courses and eight thesis research credits. The university’s engineering school is ranked number 10 on the US News & World Report.
- Princeton University. Princeton’s Master of Engineering in Electrical and Computer Engineering gives students in-depth technical experience in the professional world. Courses include automated reasoning, quantum mechanics, and computing hardware, software, and theory.
Best Computer Engineering Schools With Dual Degree Programs
- Purdue University | Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Electrical Engineering. This is a five-year dual-degree program. Students who wish to pursue a PhD can continue their education after this program. Undergraduates must graduate with a 3.4 GPA to continue to the master’s program.
- Meredith College | Dual Degree Engineering. Meredith College offers an engineering dual degree program that permits students to earn a Meredith BS in Engineering and a Clemson BS in Engineering in five years. Students attend Meredith for three years and Clemson for two years.
- The University of Michigan Tech | Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. The dual Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) prepares students for specializations in technical subjects and management positions in the workplace.
Best Schools With Accelerated Computer Engineering Programs
- Stony Brook University | Accelerated Bachelor of Engineering/Master of Science program. Stony Brook University provides an accelerated program that allows students to earn a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) degree and a Master of Science (MS) degree in five years. The engineering department offers four accelerated degree options.
- Louisiana State University | Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering. The accelerated master’s requires an overall GPA of 3.5 and prerequisite courses. Engineering students must apply for the accelerated master’s during semester six of their bachelor’s program. Students begin their master’s in semester seven and graduate by semester 10.
- The University of Arizona | Electrical & Computer Engineering MS. Students earn undergraduate and graduate engineering degrees in five years. The university’s partnership programs with companies like Intel, IBM, Motorola, Microsoft, NASA, and Pixar give students a high probability of finding a job after graduation.
Easy Colleges to Get Into
Is Graduate School for Computer Engineering Worth It?
Yes, graduate school for computer engineering is worth it because it is a rapidly growing field with many opportunities. The culminating experience of graduate school will give you in-depth technical skills, leadership skills, and networking opportunities for your profession.
The predicted job growth is slower than average, according to the BLS, but the average median pay is high at $128,170 per year. Computer engineers need a bachelor’s degree for entry-level jobs. With a master’s degree, you will be an expert who can command a higher salary.
What Jobs Can You Do With a Computer Engineering Degree?
The jobs you can do with a computer engineering degree include software engineer, systems engineer, computer architect, network engineer, and database administrator. Computer engineering is a versatile degree that can prepare students for various careers in the computer industry.
How Much Can I Earn With a Degree in Computer Engineering?
You can earn between $64,000 and $156,000 with a degree in computer engineering. If you have a computer engineering bachelor’s degree, you can earn an average annual salary of $91,000, according to PayScale. Master’s degree graduates can earn an average base salary of $103,000 per year, and those with a PhD, $138,000 per year.
Highest-Paying Computer Engineering Careers
|Computer and Information Systems Manager
|Computer and Information Research
|Computer Hardware Engineer
|Computer Network Architects
|Computer Systems Analyst
|Network and Computer Systems Administrators
|Computer Support Specialists
Best Jobs With a Computer Engineering Degree
The best jobs with a computer engineering degree are computer hardware engineer, computer information research, or computer information systems manager, with an average salary ranging from $120,000 to $159,000 per year. The best entry-level job for an associate’s degree holder is a computer support specialist.
How Can I Pay for Computer Engineering School?
You can pay for computer engineering school by applying for scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study. The best way to find out what is available to you is to check the financial aid packages provided by the school.
- Scholarships. Scholarships are financial awards that you don’t have to pay back. You can get a scholarship by demonstrating academic excellence or financial need. Scholarships can come from the federal government, state government, colleges, universities, or private organizations.
- Grants. Grants are a form of funding for those who cannot afford higher education tuition. They usually cover tuition, room and board, and other school-related expenses.
- Student loans. You can get private loans or federal loans to help pay for your tuition. This money must be paid back as soon as you start earning a salary. Loans include an interest rate amount that accumulates over time.
- Work-study. Work-study programs are financial aid that can help you pay for school. Students work part-time while going to school. This money can then help pay for your tuition, fees, and other expenses.
How to Pay for Your Chosen School Education Path
Choosing the Best Computer Engineering School for You
When choosing the best computer engineering school, you should consider the accreditation, faculty credentials, and employment outcome. Accreditation is important because it measures the quality of a school. Professional faculty members will add to a degree program’s reputation.
Accreditation is essential when choosing a school because it means that an outside, independent body holds the school to a certain standard. The school will likely have a good curriculum, qualified teachers, and a top-class reputation. Additionally, accreditation makes it easier for students to transfer credits to other schools.
You want to learn from qualified industry professionals. Skilled and experienced faculty have real-world experience to pass down to students. They also know which skills are needed in that industry and pinpoint challenges. Industry professionals also have a network that could help you land a job. Faculty credentials also lend merit to a degree program.
When choosing a school, consider your career goals and consider the types of jobs available after graduation. Some schools offer career services to help you land a job after graduation. Other schools have strong alumni networks or partnerships with companies that can provide students with employment opportunities.
How to Get Into the Right School for Your Profession
Does It Matter What College I Go to for Computer Engineering?
Yes, it does matter what college you go to for computer engineering. Individual schools have different strengths and weaknesses and some schools have better engineering departments than others.
Choosing a college is a very personal decision. Some students may prefer to work online, while others prefer being on campus. The important thing is that you find a school that’s the right fit for you and offers a quality computer engineering program.
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Computer Engineering University Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Schools for Computer Engineering
We ranked the best computer engineering schools by consulting the university rankings conducted by US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. To further refine our computer engineering university ranking methodology, we prioritized reputation, graduation rate, student-to-faculty ratio, and breadth and depth of computer engineering degree program offerings.
Additional Reading About Computer Engineering
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/computer-engineering-bachelors-degrees/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/online-computer-engineering-degree/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/computer-engineering-degree/
Best Computer Engineering Schools FAQ
The college with the best computer engineering program is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, according to the US News & World Report. Stanford University is ranked second, and the University of California-Berkeley ranks third.
The top engineering school in the US is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Other high-quality institutions include the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Carnegie Mellon University, and Stanford University.
Yes, computer engineering is a good major. An engineering major teaches you how to design and create computer systems. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the job outlook for computer engineers will increase by 22 percent between 2020 and 2030. This is faster than the national average for all occupations.
The number of years it takes to complete a computer engineering degree depends on which degree. An Associate Degree in Computer Engineering is a two-year degree, a bachelor’s is a four-year degree, and a master’s degree usually takes two years. If you decide to continue with a PhD in Computer Engineering, you will study for a further four to six years.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.