The field of data analytics offers some of the most lucrative career prospects today. However, you need to have the right qualifications in order to succeed in this rapidly evolving field. The best schools for data analytics provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to begin or advance their data careers.
Data analytics professionals are needed in many industries, including healthcare, technology, financial services, and ecommerce. If you want to work in this field, knowing the best data analytics schools can help you make the right decisions for your career. This article covers the best data analytics universities and colleges, as well as the best and highest-paying jobs in the field and their education requirements.
Best Data Analytics College and University Rankings: Top 10 Data Analytics Schools at a Glance
|US News Ranking
|Carnegie Mellon University
|Online, in-person, hybrid
|Georgia Institute of Technology
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|University of California-Berkeley
|University of Illinois
|Online, in-person, hybrid
|University of Michigan
|University of Washington
Data Analytics School Rankings: Best Data Analytics Colleges and Universities
While there are many schools that offer data analytics programs, getting your degree from one of the best data analytics colleges will allow you to gain skills and knowledge in data analytics and have the opportunity to learn from and collaborate with faculty who are industry experts. Below is a list of the best data analytics universities and some details about their specific programs.
The Best Schools for Data Analytics: Types of College Degrees and University Programs Offered
There are many ways to get a college education in data analytics. Although there are limited options for degrees with data analytics as the specific major, you can also study this subject through majors like data science, business analytics, and statistical science. The best schools for data analytics offer relevant bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. Below are the types of data analytics degrees and programs you can pursue.
Comparing Popular Degree Options
Best Data Analytics Schools: Other Data Analytics University Rankings
In addition to the 10 best schools for data analytics listed above, there are other ways to rank the best data analytics schools. Students have different needs and preferences when it comes to their data analytics education, and there are plenty of options for finding just the right school. Below are the best data analytics colleges and universities based on the school type or the types of degrees and programs they offer.
Best Online Data Analytics Schools
- Boston University. Data science programs at Boston University, like its online Master of Science in Applied Data Analytics, are designed to be career-centric. Students will have extensive exposure to data analytics, data mining, and data visualization tools, as well as cloud services.
- Penn State World Campus. Penn State World Campus, the second largest of Pennsylvania State University’s campuses, is one of the best in data analytics because it harnesses the strengths of three academic departments. Students learn from top-notch faculty who have diverse backgrounds as business analysts, data scientists, and other professionals in the tech world.
- Southern New Hampshire University. This university offers a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in data analytics online, which is perfect for those with busy schedules. Southern New Hampshire University is affordable and features online classes that are available at any time so that students can study on their own schedules.
Best Community Colleges for Data Analytics
- Coastline College. This school provides a solid data analytics foundation in the technical skills required to get started in the field. The program offers both associate degrees and certificates, so students can choose the path that best fits their needs.
- LaGuardia Community College. An excellent choice for anyone who wants to pursue a career in the data analytics field, LaGuardia offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses in the subject. The courses are designed to help students improve their skills and gain the knowledge they need to enter the workforce or continue their education at a four-year college.
- Normandale Community College. Normandale Community College is the largest community college in Minnesota, with an enrollment of over 15,000 students. It has a long history of providing career-focused, academic, and interest-based programs.
Best Undergraduate Schools for Data Analytics
- Carnegie Mellon University. This university is ranked by US News as the number one school in the nation for computer science and number two for business analytics. It also has a strong reputation in the technology industry due to its research initiatives and top-notch professors who are experts in their field.
- Cornell University. This university offers a variety of tracks and concentrations in data analytics. This means that you can choose the path that best suits your interests and goals while getting a high-quality education.
- University of California, Berkeley. This top-ranked university’s data science courses are designed to give students the skills and knowledge they need to become industry leaders. They also help students develop the soft skills needed for success in an increasingly competitive job market.
Best Graduate Schools for Data Analytics
- Drexel University. Drexel University offers a customizable Master’s Degree in Data Analytics via stackable certificates with transferable credits toward the graduate degree. Certificate topics include Big Data Analytics, AI and Machine Learning for Data Science, and others. There are also minors available in applied data science and computational data science.
- Illinois Institute of Technology. This school offers a rigorous curriculum for its Master’s Degree in Data Science. The program is designed to provide an in-depth understanding of the field, along with the technical skills necessary to succeed in a variety of industries or continue on to a PhD program.
- University of California-Berkeley. Ranked the number two school in the nation for an online Master’s in Data Science by Fortune Magazine in 2022, UC Berkeley is known for its high-quality education, which is reflected by its placement on this prestigious list.
Best Data Analytics Schools With Dual Degree Programs
- Georgia State University | Master of Science in Analytics/Master of Science in Marketing. This dual degree program enables students to learn effective marketing strategies guided by strong analytical skills, making them very employable.
- Rockhurst University | Data Analytics/MBA Dual Degree Program. This dual degree program is offered through the Helzberg School of Management. It gives students the management skills to lead a team of professionals and the technical skills to analyze business data.
- University of Virginia | Master of Science in Data Analytics/MBA. This two-year dual degree program combines the rigorous data science curriculum and the industry-driven MBA curriculum.
Best Schools With Accelerated Data Analytics Programs
- Northwestern University | Accelerated Master’s in Data Science. This nine-course online program is open to graduates of MIT’s MicroMasters in Statistics and Data Science. Students will be trained to use data analytics software to analyze database systems and can take elective courses in financial and risk analytics, artificial intelligence, and deep learning.
- Duke University | Accelerated Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics.This online accelerated program is for students who have taken business management courses and want to upgrade their business analytics skills with advanced data science and analytics training. Students will be working on real-world projects to develop data and statistical methodologies.
- University of Maryland-Baltimore County | Accelerated BS/MPS in Data Science. This accelerated program in data science is available to undergraduate students in their junior or senior year. Students can take nine graduate credits to apply to both degrees and shorten their time to degree completion. It also has flexible learning options as some courses are offered in a hybrid format.
Easy Colleges to Get Into
Is Graduate School for Data Analytics Worth It?
Yes, graduate school for data analytics is worth it, especially if you want to work on real-world projects that will greatly enhance your data analytics and business analytics skills. Graduate degree holders have leverage when it comes to landing high-paying data analytics jobs. Earning a graduate degree in data analytics makes you an expert in the field, which enables you to work in your choice of industries.
What Jobs Can You Do With a Data Analytics Degree?
The jobs you can do with a data analytics degree include data scientist, market research analyst, chief information officer, and computer and information research specialists. You can land these jobs by completing a data analytics or related degree program from any of the best data analytics schools on our lists.
How Much Can I Earn With a Degree in Data Analytics?
You can earn $160,000 or more with a degree in data analytics. Any type of data analytics degree can help you qualify for high-paying jobs in various industries, be it an associate, an undergraduate, or a graduate degree.
Highest-Paying Data Analytics Careers
|Computer and Information Systems Managers
|Computer and Information Research Scientists
|Computer Network Architects
|Information Security Analysts
|Chief Information Officers
|Database Administrators and Architects
|Mathematicians and Statisticians
|Network and Computer Systems Administrators
|Market Research Analysts
Best Jobs With a Data Analytics Degree
The best jobs with a data analytics degree include data scientist, statistician, and computer network architect, among others. The majority of these jobs require a bachelor’s degree. One of the most important first steps in getting a job in data analytics is getting the proper education. The more advanced your education, the more opportunities you’ll have.
How Can I Pay for Data Analytics School?
You can pay for data analytics school through federal aid, grants, and scholarships. If your schedule allows it, you might consider working part time to help pay for your education. PhD students can look into fellowships and research or teaching assistantships that can pay for part of their program.
- Federal Student Loans. Fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form when applying to school. Any money you receive as a loan will have to be paid back, plus accrued interest.
- Grants. There are various grants available to students through the government as well as through private organizations. Unlike loans, grants don’t have to be repaid.
- Scholarships. You can also apply for scholarships, another form of aid that you don’t have to pay back. There are scholarships that are specific to data analytics students and others that are more general.
- Fellowships. Many universities offer PhD students financial aid in the form of fellowships. These are usually merit-based and support the student’s studies full time, sometimes including housing and other costs.
How to Pay for Your Chosen School Education Path
Choosing the Best Data Analytics School for You
To choose the best data analytics school for you, be sure to consider important factors like the school’s accreditation, career services, program format options, reputation, and program costs. Below is a quick description of each of these.
Accreditation is an important factor in choosing the best data analytics school for you. Accreditation guarantees that a school meets specific education standards in areas like curriculum and faculty qualifications.
In your search, consider schools that offer career services. They can help prepare you for the job market with services like interview and resume preparation or even set you up with internship opportunities.
Flexibility is a key factor for many students, especially those who plan on working while getting their education. If it’s important to you to be able to complete your degree at your own pace and on your own schedule, through flexible credit requirements or through attending classes in the evening, be sure to talk with an admissions counselor to make sure those options are available.
Reputation of the School
The reputation of the school you choose is one of the most important factors in determining whether or not it will be right for you. Look into what other students have had to say about their own experiences at the school, but don’t rely solely on online reviews. Try to talk to current students and ask them questions about their experiences if you can.
Cost is one of the key considerations to keep in mind when choosing a school. It is important to find an institution that offers a program that fits your budget, as well as your schedule and career goals. It is also important to consider whether you will need any financial aid or scholarships in order to pay for your education costs.
How to Get Into the Right School for Your Profession
Does It Matter What College I Go to for Data Analytics?
Yes, it does matter what college you go to for data analytics. The best data analytics schools guarantee that you are getting not only the prestige that comes with the good reputation of the school but also valuable skills and experience. These schools will help you learn the data analytics processes you need to know to succeed in the field.
Data Analytics University Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Schools for Data Analytics
We ranked the best data analytics schools by consulting the university rankings conducted by US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. To further refine our data analytics university ranking methodology, we gave special consideration to things like reputation, graduation rate, student-to-faculty ratio, and breadth and depth of data analytics degree program offerings.
Additional Reading About Data Analytics
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/data-analytics-degree/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/data-analysis-processes/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/data-analytics-bachelors-degrees/
Best Data Analytics Schools FAQ
If you’re wondering how to excel at data analytics, you’re not alone, as this is a relatively new field. You will need focus and dedication to succeed, along with attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and research skills. The technical skills you need include data mining, data modeling, predictive modeling, and machine learning.
No, data analytics is not that hard to learn. While it is a highly technical field, you can learn some of the fundamentals on your own. There are a variety of online schools offering courses on data analytics. You can also attend a data analytics bootcamp.
Data analytics is the process of analyzing data sets to make sense of trends and insights that will help organizations make informed decisions. Business analytics uses the insights drawn from data analysis to solve problems that businesses face.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.