UX design is one of the most lucrative sectors of today’s tech industry. Every tech company needs skilled UX workers with a strong knowledge of design concepts and technical skills. The best schools for UX design help train graduates that can meet these requirements and build user-friendly products as part of a design team.
Finding the best UX design colleges is undoubtedly a challenging task. However, this article provides a detailed list of the best UX design universities and their programs. It also outlines the different job options available to graduates of the best UX design schools.
Best UX Design College and University Rankings: Top 10 UX Design Schools at a Glance
|US News Ranking
|Carnegie Mellon University
|Rochester Institute of Technology
|In-person, online, hybrid
|San Jose University
|University of California San Diego
|University of Southern California
|The University of Texas at Austin
|University of Washington
UX Design School Rankings: Best UX Design Colleges and Universities
UX designers will need to obtain an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited university. Below, we list some of the best schools for UX design and the best programs for beginner, intermediate, and advanced-level UX designers.
The Best Schools for UX Design: Types of College Degrees and University Programs Offered
The best schools for UX design offer various degree options, including graduate certificates and associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs. Below, we outline the characteristics of each of these UX design certificate and degree types and what to expect from them.
Comparing Popular Degree Options
Best UX Design Schools: Other UX Design University Rankings
The best UX design schools in this list provide various degree programs and study formats for students. Also, all schools in our UX design university rankings are among the most reputable UX design colleges in the US.
Best Online UX Design Schools
- Arizona State University. Arizona State University is well-known for its global online campus, which provides several degree programs for UX designers. It offers an online Bachelor of Science in Human Systems Engineering, which combines the studies of engineering and psychology.
- Drexel University. Drexel University offers several online programs in the arts, business, engineering, and other fields. This private college also offers a Master’s Degree in UX and Human-Computer Interaction, perfect for acquiring hands-on experience in creating user-friendly products.
- Stanford University. Stanford University is a reputable private institution with several qualified staff and faculty members. Their online graduate certificate program in Human-Computer Interaction contains a well-structured curriculum that gives UX designers the opportunity to improve their skills.
Best Community Colleges for UX Design
- Austin Community College. Austin Community College was founded in 1973 and is located in Texas. It delivers an associate degree and certificate program in UX design for entry-level professionals.
- Green River College. Green River College was established in 1963 in Auburn, Washington. Its UX design certificate program covers UX design fundamentals and includes classes on web design and responsive web programming.
- Mission College. Mission College was founded in 1975 in Santa Clara, California. It offers a UX and Interface Design certificate program that teaches students user research, interaction design, and other essential UX design topics.
Best Undergraduate Schools for UX Design
- Purdue University. Purdue University provides several UX design programs, including a Bachelor of Science in UX Design. This undergraduate program thoroughly covers all relevant aspects of modern UX design.
- San Jose State University. San Jose State University is a reputable public institution and one of the largest labor providers for Silicon Valley companies. Its Bachelor of Arts Degree in Behavioral Science includes courses that are helpful for students seeking to pursue a UX design career.
- University of California, San Diego. The University of California, San Diego was established in 1960. It offers several programs for future UX designers, including a Bachelor of Arts in Speculative Design.
Best Graduate Schools for UX Design
- Rochester Institute of Technology. Rochester Institute of Technology is one of the best schools for UX design, with several online and in-person graduate programs. Its Master’s of Science in Human-Centered Computing program delivers top-quality, advanced-level training to UX designers.
- University of Texas at Austin. The University of Texas at Austin is an excellent destination for graduate studies in UX design. It offers a Master of Fine Arts in Design degree through its interdisciplinary graduate program.
- University of Washington. University of Washington is a research-focused public college. It provides a PhD program in Human-Centered Design and Engineering that allows students to conduct in-depth research on relevant UX design subjects.
Best UX Design Schools With Dual Degree Programs
- DePaul University | BS in User Experience Design/MA in Experience Design. DePaul University allows students enrolled in the BS in User Experience Design program to simultaneously obtain a master’s degree in experience design within five years.
- George Mason University | BA or BS in Psychology, Accelerated MA with Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience Concentration. George Mason University allows qualified undergraduate psychology students to obtain an accelerated Master of Arts in cognitive and behavioral neuroscience.
- Stanford University | MA in Psychology/PhD in Psychology. Students in Stanford University’s doctorate program in psychology who have completed their first two years have the option to enroll in a master’s degree program. Students who take this option will be awarded both degrees at the end of their PhD program.
Best Schools With Accelerated UX Design Programs
- Carnegie Mellon University | MS in Human-Computer Interaction. Students admitted into Carnegie Mellon University’s accelerated Master of Science in Human-Computer Interaction program can obtain their degree in eight months instead of one year.
- Rochester Institute of Technology | 4+2 BFA/Master of Architecture Pathway. Rochester Institute of Technology offers an accelerated pathway where students can obtain a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Industrial Design and a Master’s Degree in Architecture within six years.
- Wilmington University | BS in Behavioral Science. The BS in Behavioral Science degree is one of the courses eligible for Wilmington University’s dual credit advantage accelerated option. Students enrolled in this program can combine credits with another program and earn both degrees faster.
Easy Colleges to Get Into
Is Graduate School for UX Design Worth It?
Yes, it is worth going to graduate school for UX design. There are many top companies hiring UX designers in 2022. A graduate degree will help you distinguish yourself and land the best jobs in your industry. Also, graduate degrees allow you to learn new skills and network with leading professionals in UX design.
What Jobs Can You Do With a UX Design Degree?
The jobs you can do with a UX design degree are senior UX designer, design manager, and creative director. The schools in our best UX design universities list offer the easiest pathways to landing these high-paying UX design jobs.
How Much Can I Earn With a Degree in UX Design?
UX designers with a bachelor’s degree earn an average salary of $73,000, according to PayScale. However, with an advanced degree in UX design, you can significantly increase your earning potential. For example, UX designers with a master’s degree earn an average of $80,000, annually.
Highest-Paying UX Design Careers
|Senior UX Designer
|UX Design Lecturer
Best Jobs With a UX Design Degree
The best jobs with a UX design degree are senior UX designer, UX researcher, and design manager. However, the type of UX design job you are eligible for will primarily depend on your level of education. Below, we list the best UX design jobs for various degree types.
How Can I Pay for UX Design School?
You can pay for UX design school by checking if your chosen college offers scholarships, research assistantships, or fellowships. Also, if you are a US citizen, you could decide to take out a student loan.
- Scholarship awards. Many design schools and colleges offer scholarships to students based on different criteria. These scholarships provide full or partial funding for your tuition and other expenses.
- Research assistantships. Research assistantships allow you to take up a supporting research role in your university in exchange for reduced tuition fees or a complete tuition waiver.
- Fellowships. Fellowships are grants given to students enrolled in advanced-level, research-based programs such as master’s and doctoral programs. These grants sometimes also cover tuition costs and other essential expenses.
- Student loans. Depending on your country, you may have access to federal government loans that enable you to cover the cost of your UX design degree program. Recipients of federal student loans are expected to gradually pay back the loan amount.
How to Pay for Your Chosen School Education Path
Choosing the Best UX Design School for You
To choose the best UX design school for you, you should consider the university’s faculty credentials and employment outcomes, as well as how it aligns with your career goals. The best schools for UX design will provide you with quality course content that fits your learning style. A strong UX education makes it easier for you to progress to the next part of your career path.
A UX design school’s faculty plays a vital role in determining the quality of its curriculum. Enrolling in a school with experienced and well-known faculty members will give you the opportunity to learn from the best in your industry, and it will also provide you with beneficial networking opportunities.
UX design is a broad field. There are several degree programs you can take to become a UX designer. However, not all programs may align with your specific career goals. You must check if your chosen university offers a program that will enable you to achieve your career objectives, whether you’re a beginner or a professional looking to continue your education.
Checking your prospective university’s employment outcome can give you an overview of its reputation in the industry and the relevance of its curriculum. You should choose a school with a proven track record of producing employable graduates working in various industry roles, particularly in the field of UX design.
How to Get Into the Right School for Your Profession
Does It Matter What College I Go to for UX Design?
Yes, it does matter what college you go to for UX design. College is expensive, and you need to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money. Enrolling in an unaccredited program or one with a poor industry reputation could severely affect your chances of getting a high-paying job.
UX Design University Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Schools for UX Design
We ranked the best UX design schools by consulting the university rankings conducted by US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. To further refine our UX design university ranking methodology, we gave special consideration to things like reputation, graduation rate, student-to-faculty ratio, and breadth and depth of UX design degree program offerings.
Additional Reading About UX Design
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/ux-design-examples/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/ux-design-projects/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/ux/
Best UX Design Schools FAQ
You can learn UX design for free. There are several free UX design bootcamps online where you can develop the essential skills you need for a career in UX design. However, a college degree is still the best option if you wish to work as a UX designer.
No, you don’t need a laptop to enroll in a UX design school. However, having a laptop enables you to practice and develop your technical skills, especially if your degree program includes computer science and software-related topics. There are several cheap laptops for UX designers that you can buy and use for UX design coursework.
No, it is not hard to get a UX design job after graduating from college. Several tech companies and startups are looking to employ people with a degree in UX design or any related field. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, UX designer jobs are expected to increase by 13 percent between 2020 and 2030.
No, UX design is not the same as graphic design. Although there are many similarities between both fields, UX design covers a much wider scope than graphic design. While graphic designers focus only on creating appealing visual content, UX designers ensure that the usage of the entire product is intuitive and seamless.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.