Software engineering is an extremely promising career with many educational opportunities. New York State has some of the best and most prestigious universities in the nation, such as Cornell, Columbia, and New York University. In this article, we’ll explore the best software engineering schools in New York.
If you’ve ever wondered how the programs of software engineering schools in New York stack up, this article covers New York software engineering school rankings, core courses, and potential jobs to help you find out. Read the following tips and tricks to make the most of our higher education.
How to Choose a Good Software Engineering School in New York
To choose the best software engineering schools in New York, you should consider factors like cost, accreditation, and graduation rates. In the section below, we’ll explore these factors and share best practices and tips you can follow when choosing your school.
Accreditation proves that your institution or program meets the minimum quality requirements of the appropriate accrediting body. That accrediting body for colleges and universities in New York is the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Additional accreditations from bodies like the Accreditation Commission of ABET are also well respected in the field.
Your goal, when choosing a software engineering school in New York, should be to minimize costs and maximize returns. For some, that might mean attending a prestigious university to get top jobs in the tech industry. For others, attending a community college may help them save on costs and enter the job market as quickly as possible.
Graduation rate is the percentage of students at a university who complete their degree program. As a rule of thumb, high graduation rates indicate excellent student support. You can compare the rates of schools on your list to determine the best software engineering school to attend.
New York Software Engineering Schools School Rankings: What Schools Have the Best Software Engineering Programs in New York?
|Software Engineering School||Top Undergrad Program||Top Grad Program||US News Ranking|
|Cornell University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#6|
|Columbia University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||PhD in Computer Science||#11|
|New York University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||PhD in Computer Science||#38|
|Stony Brook University–SUNY||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||PhD in Computer Science||#43|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Computer Science||#55|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering.||Master of Science in Software Engineering||#74|
|Clarkson University||Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering||Master of Science in Computer Science||#127 (national ranking)|
|Pace University||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science||Master of Science in Software Development and Engineering||#213 (national ranking)|
|Marist College||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a Concentration in Software Development||Master of Science in Computer Science-Software Development||N/A|
|SUNY College at Oswego||Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering||Master of Arts in Human-Computer Interaction||N/A|
New York Software Engineering Schools Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Software Engineering Schools in New York
To rank the best software engineering schools in New York, we used US News & World Report’s breakdown of the best Computer Science program as a guide. We also took into consideration the subject-specific rankings conducted by Times Higher Education, as well as factors such as graduation rate, acceptance rate, and affordability.
Best Software Engineering Schools in New York Explained
The following section lists the top 10 New York schools with a program in software engineering. If you want to become a software engineer, you should aspire to get into one of these schools. We dive into top programs, acceptance rates, and school rankings.
Best Undergraduate Software Engineering Schools in New York
The best undergraduate software engineering schools in New York are accredited, affordable, and have positive job outcomes. We’ve researched some of the best software engineering associate and bachelor’s degrees in New York that meet our criteria.
Best Software Engineering Associate Degree Schools in New York
- Alfred State College | Associate of Science in Computer Science. This associate degree grants credits that can be applied to four-year information technology programs like software development. The official program page boasts that 100 percent of students can find employment or continue education after graduation.
- Columbia Greene Community College | Associate of Science in Computer Science. This 61-credit program facilitates transfer to four-year programs. Most of its courses occur in the evenings so working professionals can attend. Graduates have a thorough understanding of computer terminology and can solve computer system problems.
- Jamestown Community College | Associate of Science in Computer Science. This computer science program is perfect for aspiring software engineers. It emphasizes software design and development, programming, web technologies, and database design. The program consists of 60 credits and is available on-campus and online.
- Herkimer State University of New York | Associate of Science in Computer Science. Herkimer has transfer agreements with top New York universities like Clarkson University, Rochester Institute of Technology, and Pace University. Its computer science program requires only 63 credits and teaches software development fundamentals.
- Mohawk Valley Community College | Associate of Science in Computer Science. This computer science associate degree is a four-semester-long, 63-credit program that will prepare you to further your education at a four-year college. Students will explore various fields of computer science, learn how to solve software engineering problems and work effectively in a group.
Best Software Engineering Bachelor’s Degree Programs in New York
- Rochester Institute of Technology | Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering. RIT’s software engineering program has one of the best cooperative education and internship programs in the nation. This five-year degree awards a degree backed up by real-world experience.
- Pace University | Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. Many software engineering learning opportunities are available to computer science majors at Pace University. For example, the New York City Design Factory program allows you to earn credit for traveling to partner universities abroad and building software for real companies.
- Clarkson University | Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering. Clarkson has a unique collaborative approach to learning involving the Electrical and Computer Engineering and Computer Science departments. It provides tons of research, internship, and co-op opportunities to its software engineering majors.
- SUNY College at Oswego | Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering. This program is the first of its kind in all SUNY schools. You’ll experience all parts of software engineering as you develop software for real clients. It includes internship, research, and co-op opportunities.
- Villa Maria College | Bachelor of Science in Computer Software Development. Villa Maria College is one of the best colleges for software engineering in New York. It has a low student-to-faculty ratio allowing for closer interaction and personalized learning. You also get access to facilities, like terminals and labs, where you can practice what you learn.
Best Online Associate Degrees
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Best Graduate Schools for Software Engineering in New York
The best graduate schools for software engineering in New York offer either a Master’s or PhD in Software Engineering. These degrees are pathways that lead to high-value careers in computer and software systems. The following is a list of the best software engineering schools in New York arranged by study level.
Best Schools for Master’s in Software Engineering in New York
- Cornell University | Master of Science in Computer Science. In this highly-selective program, students get to deepen their knowledge of computer science, tackle advanced backend development languages, and conduct research. There are also financial aid resources in place like teaching assistantships and stipends.
- Columbia University | Master of Science in Computer Science. This Master of Science program draws on the myriad of opportunities available in New York to provide career opportunities for its students. The 30-point program includes a specialization in software systems which you can use to jumpstart your software engineering career.
- Rochester Institute of Technology | Master of Science in Software Engineering. RIT’s software engineering graduate degree is the first step to a lucrative software engineering career. It has an 88 percent outcome rate and its first-year graduates earn about $130,500 annually. The program requires 36 credits and runs for two years.
- Pace University | Master of Science in Software Development And Engineering. This master’s program develops the technical skills you need to hold a leadership role in software engineering. The small and selective program consists of three core areas, namely system and software design, software management and evolution, and human resources management.
- Marist College | Master of Science in Computer Science-Software Development. This program is best for aspiring software engineers who want to further their education without disrupting their work life. The program is highly experiential and includes cloud and mobile computing tracks.
Best PhD in Software Engineering Universities in New York
- Cornell University | PhD in Computer Science. Cornell University’s computer science department boasts one of the most impressive faculties in the nation. Its PhD in Computer Science is well respected nationwide. Some of its research strengths are artificial intelligence, computer graphics, systems, security, and machine learning.
- Columbia University | PhD in Computer Science. The philosophy behind this program is that you learn by experience. The program allows degree candidates to conduct an original inquiry into a computer science discipline of their choice. Members of the faculty supervise the program and guide students through their research.
- New York University | PhD in Computer Science. This PhD program is perfect for students researching data management and analysis, cyber security, computer games, and other computer science disciplines.
- Stony Brook University | PhD in Computer Science. SUNY Stony Brook is a great school to earn your software engineering degree because it provides financial support for PhD students through teaching and research assistantships. The academic program paves the way for careers in academia or research.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute | PhD in Computer Science. The major milestones in this program are the core and research qualifying exams, the candidacy exam, and the thesis defense. The program is very rigorous and requires 72 hours of work.
Best Online Master’s Degrees
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Best Online PhD Programs
Admission Requirements for Software Engineering Schools in New York
The admission requirements for software engineering schools in New York differ for undergraduate and graduate students. For first-year students, requirements include a college application and high school transcript, while graduate students submit their GRE scores and recommendation letters. We’ll explore the full list of requirements in the section below.
Software Engineering Schools in New York: Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- College application
- Official high school transcript
- SAT/ACT scores
- Letters of recommendation
- College essay
Software Engineering Schools in New York: Graduate Admission Requirements
- Online graduate college application
- Two letters of recommendation from academic or professional references
- Resume detailing your employment history
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Personal statement
- GRE, SAT, or ACT scores
Is It Hard to Get Into a School for Software Engineering in New York?
No, it is not hard to get into a school for software engineering in New York. Prestigious universities might have a smaller acceptance rate, but even then, there are tips you can use to get into a top college like Cornell. Some software engineering schools even apply an open admissions policy, although they are usually community colleges offering associate degrees.
Easiest Colleges to Get Into in New York for Software Engineering
- CUNY Graduate School and University Center | Acceptance Rate: 100%. The CUNY Graduate Center sits in the heart of Manhattan and provides quality graduate education in numerous fields. Among its offerings is a PhD in Computer Science that will allow you to do research in software engineering and other computer science disciplines.
- CUNY Kingsborough Community College | Acceptance Rate: 100%. Kingsborough is open to people of all academic backgrounds, affordable, and minority-friendly. Concerning software engineering, it offers an Associate of Science in Computer Science and an Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems.
- CUNY LaGuardia Community College | Acceptance Rate: 100%. CUNY LaGuardia is a two-year college located on Long Island, well known for pioneering exciting and innovative programs. Its computer programming and software development degree can lead to a career in development and software engineering.
- Ulster County Community College | Acceptance Rate: 100%. Ulster is a small community college that offers some of the best computer science degrees in New York state. You can get admitted as long as you are a high school student and perform well on the Entering Student Assessment.
- Villa Maria College | Acceptance Rate: 79%. Villa Maria is a private Catholic college that provides a student-centered education. Although small, it offers a computer software development program to help you become a software engineer.
How to Get Into the Best Colleges and Universities
Best Online Schools for Software Engineering in New York
The best online schools for software engineering in New York are Marist College, Clarkson University, and Monroe College. Current National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) data reveals that 75 percent of students were enrolled in online courses in 2020.
|School||Graduation Rate||Top Online Software Engineering Program|
|Marist College||79%||Master of Science in Information Systems|
|Clarkson University||76%||Master of Science in Computer Science|
|Monroe College||66%||Master of Science in Computer Science|
|Pace University||59%||Master of Science in Software Development and Engineering|
|Jamestown Community College||35%||Associate of Science in Computer Science|
The Most Affordable Colleges for Software Engineering in New York
The most affordable colleges for software engineering in New York are Hunter College, Lehman College, and City College of New York City. In addition to the low tuition costs they charge, these colleges also offer financial aid services to deserving students.
How to Attend the Top Software Engineering Schools in New York With Financial Aid
You can attend the top software engineering schools in New York by exploring financial aid programs for New York students. Some of the best options are FAFSA, state grants, tuition discounts, tuition back guarantee, scholarships, work-study, and student loans. These programs cover or subsidize your tuition costs and exist at both federal and state levels.
Best Software Engineering Scholarships for New York Students
- NYS Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program | Amount: Full Tuition. This scholarship program is for high school students enrolled full-time in a STEM degree program at a public university in New York. To be eligible for it, you must be a New York resident, rank in the top 10 percent of your class, and submit your scholarship application before August 15.
- Ascend Educational Fund Scholarships | Amount: $2,500-$20,000. Immigrant students and children of immigrants are the recipients of the Ascend Educational Fund Scholarships. To qualify, you must have graduated high school in New York and enrolled full-time in a university program. Applications open in November and close in February.
- Horatio Alger State Scholarship – New York | Amount: $10,000. The Horatio Alger State Scholarship is available to high school students in all 50 states. To be eligible, students must demonstrate critical financial need, perseverance in overcoming adversity, and a commitment to pursue an undergraduate degree. Applications for this scholarship close in March.
- Excelsior Scholarship | Amount: $5,500. The Excelsior Scholarship is available to New York residents pursuing a full-time undergraduate degree at a SUNY or CUNY college. You must have a gross annual income of $125,000 or less and submit your application before August 31 to apply for this scholarship.
- NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence | Amount: $1,500. This program annually awards scholarships to more than 8,000 New York students. To qualify, you must be a New York resident, graduate from a New York State high school, and be enrolled in an undergraduate program at a New York state higher institution. Applications for this scholarship close by June 30.
New York Employment Outlook for Software Engineering
The New York employment outlook for software engineering is positive with numerous jobs for top tech talent in the field. According to New York State’s Department of Labor, New York’s economy added over 23,600 private-sector jobs in April 2022. Consequently, the unemployment rate has declined to 4.2 percent.
There is growth in New York’s information industry which is a significant employer of software engineers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported the number of new jobs to be around 298,000 in April 2022. Overall, the job outlook for software engineering is positive, and there are a wealth of job opportunities fresh graduates can explore in the state.
Highest-Paying Software Engineering Careers in New York
|Software Engineering Job||Software Engineering Degree||Average Salary in New York|
|Information Security Analyst||Bachelor’s degree||$133,210|
|Software Developer||Bachelor’s degree||$129,950|
|Computer Network Architect||Bachelor’s degree||$128,230|
|Software Quality Assurance Analyst||Bachelor’s degree||$116,440|
|Database Administrator||Bachelor’s degree||$107,260|
Best Software Engineering Jobs in New York Explained
The best software engineering jobs in New York list should have lucrative salaries, strong potential employers, and positive job growth. We’ve analyzed the job positions available to software engineering graduates and developed the list below to guide you in your career choice.
Does It Matter What Software Engineering School in New York I Go To?
Yes, it does matter what school in New York you go to for software engineering. The value of your software engineering degree is tied to the prestige of the school awarding it. You’ll have an easier time marketing your skills to employers if you attend a good school.
You can simplify the process of choosing a software engineering school by making use of the New York software engineering school rankings above. If you’d like to experience what learning in New York is like without committing to a four-year program, New York coding bootcamps are a short but valuable academic resource you can explore.
Additional Reading About Software Engineering
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/software-engineering/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/types-of-software-engineering-jobs/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/software-engineering-bachelors-degrees/
Best Software Engineering Schools in New York FAQ
The courses you will take in the software engineering program combines computer science, statistics, mathematics, and engineering. Some of the courses you’ll encounter include algorithm and data structures, computer architecture, and fundamentals in software engineering.
Yes, software engineering can be difficult to learn at first. Students with no prior science experience may find the program extremely challenging since they lack foundational coding knowledge. However, there are software engineering tools and resources you can rely on to ease and speed up your learning.
According to PayScale, the average salary of a software engineer is $88,904 per year. You will gradually increase your earning potential as you grow more experienced and learn new software engineering skills. You may even pursue advanced career paths and become a full stack web developer or a lead software programmer.
Yes, you can learn software engineering in high school. You can prepare for a college degree in software engineering by taking calculus, math, physics, and computer science. You can also take computer science courses at your local community college and participate in computer science internship programs.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.