Is Simmons University a college option for you? This article gives you a thorough Simmons University review, complete with details about its various educational programs, including its social work programs. Keep reading to find out all about Simmons University’s ranking, Simmons University’s cost of attendance, and details about the school’s student body.
Though not super well-known, this private university in Boston, Massachusetts is the real deal. Everything about Simmons University’s accreditation board, admissions policy, and academic preferences will be covered in this article. So without further ado, let’s dive into this Simmons University review.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
All About Simmons University
Simmons University is a non-profit private university located in Boston, Massachusetts. It was founded in the year 1899 by business tycoon John Simmons. Its undergraduate degree programs are for women only, but its graduate programs admit men as well. The student-to-faculty ratio at Simmons is 8 to 1, and the small class sizes ensure quality education.
The current number of undergraduate students enrolled at Simmons is 1,777. There are also 4,858 graduate students. Simmons offers more than 60 majors and graduate programs. It also hosts a total of 80 organizations and clubs. One interesting fact about Simmons is that 72 percent of its 231 full-time faculty members are women.
Where Is Simmons University Located?
Simmons University is located in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts, near the historic Fenway Park. It is the only university in Boston that offers a women-only undergraduate experience. Online classes and online programs have also been offered at Simmons since 2013.
Is Simmons University Accredited?
Yes, Simmons University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education. Several of its programs have their own accreditations. The Council on Education for Public Health, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, and the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education all accredit health-related programs at Simmons.
Is Simmons University Legit?
Yes, Simmons University is a legitimate, regionally accredited institution. According to US News, Simmons is the 136th-best university in the United States, placing it above such schools as Duquesne University and CUNY City College. With a reputation for being progressive and empowering, Simmons advances policies that support women and students of color.
Simmons University Student Reviews
Students who attended Simmons University have nothing but good things to say about the private school. According to Simmons University’s student reviews on US News, the campus has a great location, students get generous financial aid packages, and the professors are engaging. Other students like how the school handled COVID, both during and after lockdown.
Simmons University Rankings
In this section, we look at Simmons University reviews from the standpoint of reliable ranking authorities like the US News, World Report Ranking, and Times Higher Education. These Simmons University rankings consider Simmons University’s cost, its overall quality of education, and other factors like campus safety and dorm life.
Simmons University US News & World Report Ranking
Simmons University’s ranking, according to US News, is number 136 in the United States. It is also ranked number 53 in Best Value Schools, number 82 in Top Performers on Social Mobility, and number 120 among top nursing schools. US News gives Simmons University an overall score of 56 out of 100. For comparison, Harvard scores 97 out of 100 on the US News scale.
Simmons University Times Higher Education Ranking
Times Higher Education ranks Simmons University at number 128 on its US College Rankings list for 2022. This ranking has gone up 50 points in the last five years. The breakdown of the ranking, which comes in at 64 points out of 100, is as follows. Simmons scores 21.2 on resources, 15.3 on engagement, 22.1 on outcomes, and 5.5 on the environment.
Simmons University Graduation Rate
The overall graduation rate at Simmons University is 71 percent, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Broken down by race, the six-year graduation rate shows that some minority groups do quite well at Simmons. The graduate rate among Native Hawaiians is 100 percent. The rate is 85 and 75 percent among Black and Asian students respectively.
Simmons University Admissions
According to Simmons University’s official website, the Simmons University Admissions Department looks for three important things in prospective students. These three things are intellectual curiosity, a personality suited for Simmons, and the potential for growth.
Simmons University Acceptance Rate
The Simmons University acceptance rate is 84 percent, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. This is a fairly high acceptance rate for a competitive and highly coveted all-girls school. However, the percentage of admitted students who enroll at Simmons is very low, at 14 percent, meaning they value accomplished students.
Will You Get Into Simmons University?
Yes, you will likely get into Simmons University if you are a woman in good academic standing. Along with a high acceptance rate of 84 percent, the school has a high early acceptance rate of 90.4 percent, according to US News. If you have an SAT score between 1060 and 1250 or an ACT score between 24 and 29, your chances of getting into Simmons University are higher.
How to Apply to Simmons University
- Fill out the Common Application or Simmons University application. Prospective students of Simmons University can either apply directly through the online Simmons University Application system or through the Common Application procedure.
- Submit your official transcripts. Students have to send in their official high school transcripts with details of the classes they took. These class stats demonstrate that their grades are good enough to get in and show the Simmons administration how much class time they devoted to college preparatory coursework.
- Submit two recommendation letters. Each student applying to Simmons University has to submit at least two recommendation letters. These should come from teachers, mentors, or previous employers.
- Submit test scores. For undergraduate admissions, students also have to send in either their SAT scores or ACT scores. A higher score may make a difference in the admission committee’s selection process.
- Submit your personal statement. The college admissions essay, or personal statement, is the most important part of an application package at the undergraduate level. You have to demonstrate that you are self-motivated, have leadership potential, and are a good match for Simmons University.
Simmons University Cost
|Expense||Simmons University Cost|
|Simmons University Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$43,062|
|Simmons University Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$43,062|
|Simmons University Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$21,384|
|Simmons University Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$21,384|
|Simmons University Books and Supplies||$1,280|
|Simmons University On-Campus Room and Board||$15,892|
|Simmons University Off-Campus Room and Board||$15,892|
The cost of attending Simmons University depends on whether you live on campus, how much financial aid you can get, and the kind of degree you are doing. The tuition and fee costs are the same for in-state and out-of-state students. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average undergraduate at Simmons University pays $43,062 in annual tuition and fees.
The average cost of tuition and fees for a graduate program at Simmons University is $21,384 per academic year, which is on the lower end for private universities. NCES estimates that the annual cost of tuition and fees for the average four-year private university in the United States is $26,621.
Cost of Living in Boston, Massachusetts
According to PayScale, the cost of living in Boston, Massachusetts is about 53 percent higher than the national average. This includes the rent, food, and other expenses, which can make Simmons an expensive school. While it is an amazing city, Boston is among the most expensive US cities to study in, and the average rent is $2,735 per month.
However, if you live on the residential campus at Simmons University, your room and board will not cost you more than $15,892, and you will have access to a cheap and healthy meal plan that means you will not have to worry about food. The total cost of on-campus room and board works out to about $1,324 per month, or $1,766 per month if you don’t count the summer.
Simmons University Financial Aid
The average amount of grant or scholarship aid received by a Simmons University undergraduate is $26,460 per year. Other types of aid include federal work-study aid and student loans. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average Simmons undergraduate takes out $6,553 in student loans every year.
All undergraduate students at Simmons receive some form of financial aid as freshmen. According to NCES, 100 percent of all first-year undergraduate students receive some form of financial assistance. You can get in touch with one of the Student Financial Service Counselors at Simmons for more information.
Simmons University Scholarships
- Merit-based scholarships. All first-year students starting an undergraduate degree program at Simmons are automatically considered for a merit-based scholarship, and these scholarships don’t require a separate application. You can get up to $27,000 per year from a merit-based scholarship.
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships. Dix Scholars and transfer students who are members of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society receive a scholarship of $2,000 per year, which can be renewed throughout your bachelor’s degree program.
- Simmons University Community College Excellence Scholarship (SUCCESS). This scholarship is for students coming from a community college in Massachusetts. You can receive up to $20,000 per year from this scholarship.
- The Kotzen Scholarship. This scholarship is very competitive. It covers full tuition, room and board, and a $3,000 stipend for research and other academic activities. You have to apply in the fall semester and maintain a GPA above 3.3.
- The Boston Scholarship. This is another competitive scholarship that covers full tuition for four years. It is aimed at students who have previously attended a Boston charter school or high school.
Simmons University Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
The average Simmons University graduate earns $49,722 per year, according to the Career Education Center at Simmons. About 94 percent of students get a job within six months of graduation, and 93 percent of students get a job related to the subject they majored in.
The school’s most recent jobs report shows that a majority of Simmons students end up in healthcare jobs, about 63 percent of all graduates. The next-most popular fields for Simmons graduates are advertising, education, and accounting.
Simmons University Notable Alumni
Simmons University has many notable female alumni. One such alumna is Gwen Ifill, a popular American newscaster. Another one is Princess Srinagarindra, a member of the Thai Royal Family. Sportscaster Suzyn Waldman and Pultizer Prize winner Laurel Thatcher Ulrich also got their bachelor’s degrees from Simmons University.
Simmons University Campus Life
Simmons University’s campus is in the heart of Boston, which makes campus life a wonderful experience. Fenway Park and the attractions on Newbury Street are within walking distance. Every first-year student gets to attend a Boston-specific course, which helps them build connections in the city and get involved in local art, food, news, or politics.
The university has about 70 organizations and clubs, where students can meet peers with common interests. Simmons University is a member of Colleges of the Fenway (COF). Students from one COF member school have access to the social events, trips, festivals, study abroad opportunities, and student organizations of the other member schools.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Simmons University Academics
Simmons University is known for its progressive educational policies and the high quality of its academics, especially in the academic fields of health sciences, library and information science, nursing, and social work. It is not a liberal arts college but does promote the liberal arts. Simmons offers one of the best PhDs in library science in the United States.
According to NCES, the faculty-to-student ratio at Simmons is an impressive one to nine. The smaller classes allow for more individual attention and a better academic experience. The total number of undergraduate students enrolled at Simmons is 1,777 while the number of graduate students is 4,858. It’s also one of the universities that don’t require the GRE for graduate school.
Simmons University Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|School of Business||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Accounting, BSBA in Business and Management, BSBA in Finance, BSBA in Marketing, BSBA in Retail Management|
|School of Library and Infromation Science||Combined Bachelor and Master of Science in Computer Science and Library and Information Science, Master of Science in Library and Information Science, PhD in Library and Information Science|
|School of Nursing||Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), Online Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Online Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Master’s Degree|
|School of Social Work||Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), Combined Bachelor and Master of Social Work, PhD in Social Work|
|Department of Art and Music||Bachelor of Arts in Art and Music Advising, Bachelor of Arts in Art Administration, Bachelor of Arts in Music|
|Department of Behavior Analysis||Master of Science in Behavior Analysis, Online Master of Science in Behavior Analysis, PhD in Behavior Analysis|
|Department of Biology||Bachelor of Science in Biology, Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science|
|Department of Chemistry and Physics||Bachelor of Science in Chemistry Management, Bachelor of Science in Physics, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry|
|Department of Children’s Literature||Master of Fine Arts Writing for Children, Master of Arts in Children’s Literature, Master of Science in Library Services to Children|
|Department of Communications||Bachelor of Arts in Communications, Bachelor of Arts in Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design, Bachelor of Arts in Journalism|
|Department of Critical Race, Gender, and Cultural Studies||Bachelor of Arts in Africana Studies, Bachelor of Arts in Asian Studies, Bachelor of Arts in Women’s and Gender Studies|
|Department of Economics||Bachelor of Science in Economics, Bachelor of Science in Financial Mathematics, Bachelor of Science in Economics and Mathematics|
|Department of Education||Master of Sicence in Education (MSEd) in Special Education: Moderate and Severe Disabilities, Bachelor of Arts in Special Education, Combined Bachelor of Science and MSEd in Special Edication|
|Department of History||Bachelor of Arts in History, Bachelor of Arts in East Asian Studies, Master of Arts in History|
|Department of Literature and Writing||Bachelor of Arts in Literature, Bachelor of Arts in Cinema and Media Studies|
|Division of Mathematics, Computing, and Statistics||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Data Science and Analytics, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology|
|Department of Modern Languages and Literatures||Bachelor of Arts in Spanish, Bachelor of Arts in French and Francophone Studies|
|Department of Nutrition||Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics, Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Wellness, Online Master of Science in Nutrition|
|Department of Philosophy||Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy|
|Department of Physical Therapy||Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science, Doctor of Physical Therapy, Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science and Doctor of Physical Therapy|
|Department of Political Science and International Relations||Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Bachelor of Arts in International Relations, Master of Public Policy|
|Department of Psychology||Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Bachelor of Science in Neuroscience and Behavior|
|Department of Public Health||Bachelor of Science in Public Health, Online Bachelor of Science in Public Health, Online Master of Public Health|
|Department of Sociology||Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, Combined Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Master of Arts in Public Policy|
Simmons University Faculty
According to Rate My Professors, Simmons University has an average professor rating of 3.83 out of 5. The top professor at Simmons is Aileen McCabe-Maucher of the Social Work Department. She has a perfect 5 out of 5 rating based on student reviews. One hundred percent of her students say they would take her class again.
Other professors with similar ratings include John Young from the Biology Department and Anthony Scotina from the Mathematics Department. Their courses are popular with their students, who commend them for the infectious passion they exhibit when teaching.
Popular Simmons University Majors
The most popular Simmons University majors cover a wide variety of fields including public health, sociology, nursing, communication, and physical therapy. Other popular majors include biological and biomedical sciences and public administration. Make sure to discuss with the appropriate academic advisors to learn more about the majors that interest you.
Simmons University Public Health
The Public Health Department at Simmons University is top-notch. It offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees, both on campus and online. On-campus programs include a Bachelor’s in Public Health and a combined Bachelor’s in Public Health and Master of Nutrition. The online programs include a Bachelor’s in Public Health and a Master of Public Health (MPH).
Simmons University Public Health Jobs
- Athletic Trainer. A lot of public health graduates at Simmons get hired as athletic trainers, especially after a master’s degree. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for athletic trainers are projected to increase by 23 percent between 2020 to 2030, and their median pay is $48,420 per year.
- Health Education Specialist. BLS estimates that the annual median pay for a health education specialist is $48,860 and that this field will grow by 12 percent between 2020 and 2030.
- Biostatistician. A biostatistician is a statistician who specializes in drug trials or tackles other questions of a biological nature. According to BLS, the annual median wage of a biostatistician is $95,570 and the top-paying industry for any kind of statistician is pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing.
Simmons University Sociology
The Department of Sociology at Simmons offers many interesting programs for students, including a four-year Bachelor of Science in Sociology and a four-year combined Bachelor’s in Sociology and Master’s in Public Policy. Notable faculty include Associate Professor and Dean Benjamin Cole and Vice Provost Stephanie Cosner Berzin.
Simmons University Sociology Jobs
- Guidance Counselor. You can work as a career counselor after getting a degree in sociology, psychology, or counseling. As a guidance counselor, you might need a license to work, but you can become a social service specialist with a Bachelor’s in Sociology.
- Sociologist. Sociologists usually require a master’s degree, but with a bachelor’s degree, you can still find entry-level work as a social scientist. According to BLS, the average sociologist earns an annual wage of $92,910.
- Public Policy Analyst. Your job as a public policy analyst involves raising social awareness about important issues in public health, climate change, crime prevention, and other areas. As an analyst, you will propose solutions to these problems and try to effect positive change in governmental policymaking.
Simmons University Nursing
The Simmons School of Nursing is one of its most popular departments. The on-campus nursing programs include a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), and a combined BSN and MS program. Its most popular online degree program is the online BSN for registered nurses (RN).
Simmons University Nursing Jobs
- Registered Nurse. A registered nurse takes care of patients, raises awareness about health conditions, and performs medical tests. BLS estimates that the median annual wage of a registered nurse is $77,600. The profession is expected to grow by 9 percent over the next decade.
- Healthcare Manager. A healthcare manager is responsible for planning and coordinating health services. According to BLS, the annual median wage for a health services manager is $101,340 and the number of these jobs will increase by 32 percent between 2020 and 2030.
- Nursing Instructor. A nursing instructor teaches methods for patient care in a classroom setting or in a nursing school. The annual median wage for a nursing instructor is $77,440 according to BLS.
Simmons University Communication
The Department of Communication at Simmons is focused on intellectual growth and critical thinking. It offers many degrees in Communications, with concentrations available in journalism, media arts, public relations, marketing, web design and development, and graphic design.
Simmons University Communication Jobs
- Journalist. With a communication bachelor’s degree specializing in journalism, you can become a journalist, news anchor, analyst, or reporter and make a living discussing or reporting contemporary issues. According to BLS, the median annual wage of a journalist is $48,370.
- Public Relations Manager. According to BLS, a PR manager makes $119,860 per year for helping clients improve their public image. They do this through press releases and engagement strategies.
- Web Developer. There are various types of web development jobs available to you with a Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development. BLS estimates that a web developer makes an annual wage of $77,200. The labor market for web developers is expected to grow by 13 percent between 2020 and 2030.
Simmons University Physical Therapy
The Department of Physical Therapy at Simmons is world-renowned, with interesting programs like a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science. It also offers a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program along with an accelerated option, which allows students to complete a doctoral degree in under six years.
Simmons University Physical Therapy Jobs
- Physical Therapist. To be hired as a physical therapist, you need a DPT degree. The annual median salary for a physical therapist is $95,620, according to BLS.
- Occupational Therapist. An occupational therapist treats people with disabilities, illnesses, and injuries by helping them develop skills for daily living. BLS states that occupational therapists make a median annual salary of $85,570 and projects that there will be 17 percent more occupational therapy jobs in 2030 than there were in 2020.
- Recreation Therapist. A recreation therapist plans recreation-based programs for people with physical disabilities, illnesses, and injuries. According to BLS, the median recreational therapist earns an annual salary of $47,940.
Is Simmons University Worth It?
Yes, Simmons University is worth it for ambitious women because of its respectable national ranking, its progressive educational policies, and its great location. US News considers Simmons a top-150 school. It is focused on the empowerment of women, with its undergraduate degree programs solely dedicated to female and female-identifying students. All types of students can enroll to their graduate programs.
Simmons University Review FAQ
Yes, Simmons University is respected. US News ranks Simmons number 136 on its list of Best National Universities. It is known for being progressive towards women and minorities, and it is regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education.
Yes, Simmons University Online is a good school. Simmons has been offering many undergraduate and graduate degree programs online since 2013. Simmons was a pioneer in distance learning, and its online teaching system has been influential during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Simmons University is best known for its progressive outlook on education. It takes great pride in having been one of the first universities to admit African American students, and its all-female undergraduate degree programs are designed for the empowerment of women. It can be an expensive school for some given its tuition cost and location.
Yes, Simmons University is an all-girls school at the undergraduate level, so its a perfect place for ambitious women. The graduate-level programs, however, are open to all genders and sexes, whether it’s a master’s degree or a doctoral program. To be admitted into an undergraduate program at Simmons, you must either have been assigned female at birth or identify as female now.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.