The best way to showcase your skills as a software developer is to have an impressive portfolio to help you stand out to employers. A strong portfolio is one way to excel in the software development field. Your portfolio shows your skills, your growth as a developer, and your experience.
In this article, we’ve compiled the best software development projects to be included in your portfolio. The projects range from beginner to advanced levels and include the skills needed to complete them. You will also find starter templates to help you with your first project and tips to organize your portfolio.
5 Skills That Software Development Projects Can Help You Practice
There are certain skills software developers need to have to excel. Projects can help you to learn and develop these skills. Below is a list of five key skills you will practice through these projects.
- Version Control. This is a skill that proves your collaboration skill as a software developer. With version control tools like Git, the software development team can track updates and changes to a coding language. The tool helps you store different versions of a program’s code in one folder.
- Data Structures and Algorithms. Data structures are used for storing information in a database. Algorithms are the processes that are used to store information. These skills are important to help a developer optimize a program’s information.
- Testing. After completing any software development program, it is essential to test the software before it is released to the user. Testing allows you to ensure that the program is functioning properly, has no bugs, no security threats, and no other issues. Some testing tools include Selenium, TestingWhiz, and HPE Unified Functional Testing.
- Cloud Computing. Cloud computing is how software engineers store and manage information in the cloud. This encourages faster innovation, flexible resources, and economies of scale.
Best Software Development Project Ideas for Beginners
Below are a few software development projects for beginners to help build an impressive portfolio. These software projects demonstrate the skills that software companies are looking for in entry-level software developers.
Fingerprint Based ATM system
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Programming language, Testing
This project involves building software that allows users to access their bank accounts via ATM with their fingerprints. It allows users to perform several bank transactions like bank transfers, cash withdrawals, and bank balance checks with their fingerprints and unique PIN. It reduces the use of ATM cards to make accounts more secure.
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Cloud computing, Programming languages, Testing
This project involves building an online learning platform with the use of cloud computing. It should be easily accessible and shareable by the learners. It should have a three-layered architecture that allows for sharing, reusing, and operating among different learning content. This will allow access to the platform without any third-party affiliation.
Android Patient Tracker
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Coding languages, Debugging
This is a beginner project that involves building software that allows doctors to continuously update patients’ medical conditions and treatments after every visit. It will allow them to put in the patients’ visit date, time, medical condition, and treatment offered. It is also built so doctors can access it on their Android smartphones.
Camera Motion Sensor System
- Software Development Skills Practiced: API, Coding Languages, Testing
This is a project that allows a camera to record and detect the movements in a certain vicinity regardless of how slight it is. It is built so that the user will input a code to set it up. When the camera picks up any unusual movement, it triggers an alarm that can only be deactivated by the user entering the passcode.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Railway Tracking and Arrival Time Prediction
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Coding languages, Data structures, Debugging
This project involves designing software that records the departure and arrival times of a train. The admin staff at each train station will have a unique ID that allows them to access the application to input the information. The server then transmits the information to other train stations to keep them updated. It will also record delays.
Best Intermediate Software Development Project Ideas
As a software developer with some experience in the industry, you must have projects that prove to potential employers that you are capable of handling large-scale software development projects on your own. These intermediate projects listed below will help prepare you for more advanced projects in the future.
Toll Gate Application
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Java, XML, Android IDE
This project allows drivers to make toll gate payments online for easier and more convenient travel. It should be built so the driver can make the payment by registering their vehicle number and their personal information. It can be built using Android Studio IDE, Java programming, and XML for the functioning and interface of the application.
Ecommerce For Women
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Programming languages, Database knowledge
This is an application that allows women to register themselves for an opportunity to work. The system will allow women who are willing to work but don’t have a job or means to support their families get a job. It can be built using Android Studio, Java programming, Android, and XML for the functionalities and user interface.
Bike Car Service
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Android Studio, Programming language
This is an application that allows car and bike users to be notified when it is time to service the vehicles. The application will allow them to see the service location and input a pickup location for the service company. It should have both user and admin access so that the admin can include the necessary details and the user can view them.
Gym Management App
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Android Studio, Android Emulator, Java, XML
This software project will allow gym trainers and trainees to view and access the timing and records of gym members. The members will include their time in and out, the trainers will input the progress of the members training programs. Each party will also be able to view the members’ details while the admin will have access to all members’ profiles.
Net Worth Calculator and Tracker
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Programming languages, Debugging, Testing
This software allows users to keep track of their net worth and sends them a 12-month report at the end of each year. This software will allow them to include their earnings and spendings on a daily or monthly basis to enable accurate calculations at the end of the year.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Advanced Software Development Project Ideas
Advanced projects are best for professional web developers who want to advance their careers. These projects show employers that you can be trusted to complete a software development process, regardless of the difficulty level, and deliver a quality job.
Speech Recognition App
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Python, Data structures, AI
This is software that allows the user’s voice to be recognized, understood, interpreted, and transcribed. It is built using Python and can be used in applications like home automation and artificial intelligence. An example of this is a voice-controlled home. The application will be able to control electrical appliances like fans, TVs, and lights.
Disaster Management Helping App
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Operating systems, programming languages, Data structures
This software allows users to communicate about natural disasters and calamities with emergency services, rescuers, and other members of the community. It will encourage real-time updates of the circumstances and rapid responses from rescuers. The software should also be available to unregistered users to input information.
Residential Management Application
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Coding languages, Testing
This application is designed to help residents of an area submit complaints about issues that they are having with the environment. It will help residents of the area have their problems solved at a faster rate so they do not have to wait for a representative of the area to file a complaint. It should be available to mobile users.
Healthy Diet App
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Algorithms, Programming languages, Testing
This project is aimed at helping users of the application plan and eat healthy meals. The software lets users input their health conditions and information to get suggestions on the best meal to eat for a healthier life. It should be made available to both users and experts who have to provide their credentials in order to suggest the best meals for the users.
Expense Tracker System
- Software Development Skills Practiced: Programming languages, Testing, Debugging
An expense tracker system is designed to allow users to keep track of their income and expenses. It allows users to input information about their daily expenses and monthly income to reduce excessive spending and save money. It can be designed to allow users to set goals and limits on their finances, and get a notification when they reach these goals or overspend.
Software Development Starter Project Templates
Starter templates make it easy for you to work on a software program. They help to save time and effort, and prevent errors. While they are not required, templates can help you create better programs, especially as a beginner in the field.
- Voice Controlled UI Template. This template is for a project where users can use speech to control their actions on a website as an alternative to using their keyboards.
- Online Banking Template. This template allows you to build an online banking software using Flutter by Google. It is an app that allows users to access their bank accounts online.
- Digital Marketplace Template. This template is for software that allows digital buying and selling of products, books, music, photos, and themes. It has been designed to work for both single and multiple vendors.
- Hiring Process Template. This template is for software that eases a company’s hiring process. It helps the human resources team keep track of applicants and the hiring stages.
- Bug Tracker Template. This template is for a bug-tracking application that allows software quality assurance analysts to keep track of their tasks in software development. It helps them detect bugs faster.
Next Steps: Start Organizing Your Software Development Portfolio
Having projects to show to prospective employers can make all the difference when looking for a job. The best way to showcase your skills and experience is to have some of your best projects in your portfolio. Below are tips for organizing your digital portfolio.
It is essential to include personal information in your portfolio. Your potential employer needs to be able to see these details and contact you after viewing your portfolio. Some of the information you should include are a brief bio, contact information, relevant technical and soft skills, a link to your resume, and any relevant recognitions.
Current and Best Projects
The projects that are in your portfolio should be your best and most current work. This is important because the tech field is constantly changing. You can also design your portfolio to fit the role you’re applying for by including projects that are in line with the services of the potential employer or company.
Your portfolio should be updated regularly with your latest projects. You can also arrange the projects so that the viewer sees your most recent and best projects first, in case they don’t have time to review all of your portfolio projects.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Software Development Projects FAQ
A software development project is a project that is meant to showcase a professional’s skills or complete the requirements of a client. During the project, the professional will work with a specific time frame, budget, and a variety of resources to ensure employer or customer satisfaction.
Some types of software development projects include bug trackers, healthy diet apps, android task monitoring, patient trackers, fingerprint voting systems, weather forecasting systems, elearning platforms, eBanking, and speech recognition apps.
Some of the most popular software development methodologies are Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, Lean, and Kanban.
Agile development in software development is a set of adaptive methodologies in which requirements and solutions evolve through collaboration between creative teams.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.