Unitek College is a nursing institute in California and Nevada that provides training and degree programs for students interested in healthcare career options after graduation. In this Unitek College review, we will answer all your questions about pursuing a degree at the institution.
In this Unitek College overview, you’ll learn important details about the school, such as the Unitek College accreditation and the numerous programs it offers. We’ll also highlight relevant Unitek College rankings, the opinions of students currently enrolled at the for-profit college, and a complete breakdown of the Unitek College cost of attendance.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
All About Unitek College
Founded in 2002, Unitek College is a private, for-profit school that provides high-quality, accredited nursing programs to students interested in healthcare. It consists of eight campuses where students can enjoy a seamless experience ahead of reaching their nursing career goals. Unitek College’s Fremont campus currently serves over 4,188 students pursuing their degrees.
The college prides itself on its staff that gives personalized attention to students, as well as its career training program for graduates. Apart from nursing programs, Unitek College features healthcare programs in medical assisting, medical office administration, and dental assisting. The school also provides students options to attend virtual classes for many programs online.
Where Is Unitek College Located?
Unitek College is located in several locations across California and Nevada. It has campuses in Bakersfield, Concord, Fremont, Hayward, Reno, Sacramento, San Jose, and South San Francisco. It also has a fully online option for interested students.
Is Unitek College Accredited?
Yes, Unitek College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges. The school’s baccalaureate programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Students of this nursing institute can be assured that all programs meet the national educational standards in nursing and healthcare.
Is Unitek College Legit?
Yes, Unitek College is legit. Any prospective nursing student can rest assured that the university will offer them legitimate training and preparation in the field. Graduates from this amazing college can secure lucrative nursing and healthcare jobs.
For example, the vocational nursing and nursing associate programs at the Unitek College – Fremont campus boast an employment rate of 88 percent, and the medical assisting program at the South San Francisco campus enjoys a 96 percent employment rate. The vocational nursing evening program at the San Jose campus sees a 100 percent employment success rate.
Unitek College Student Reviews
According to reviews on Indeed, Unitek College scored a 3.9 rating and is an excellent choice for students who enjoy hands-on learning, step-by-step career guidance, and an intimate learning environment. Another positive aspect of the school that appeals to students is its flexible class hours, allowing sufficient time for training and effective time management.
Students highly rate the college for the quality of its staff and faculty, praising competent teachers and nursing instructors that provide detailed instructions to enable their students to thrive. However, many students complain about the high average tuition costs.
Unitek College Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints
Currently, there are four complaints about Unitek College on the Better Business Bureau website. Most of these complaints cite poor communication or slow responses from the school’s administrative staff or other faculty members. The school has an unaccredited customer review score of C-.
Unitek College Rankings
Unitek College is regarded as an excellent school to obtain a nursing bachelor’s or associate degree or a diploma in an allied health discipline. Because of its narrow-focused academics, it has not been ranked among other larger higher education institutions.
Unitek College US News & World Report Ranking
Unitek College is not listed among the universities in the US News & World Report Ranking.
Unitek College Times Higher Education Ranking
Unitek College is not listed among the universities in the Times Higher Education Ranking.
Unitek College Graduation Rate
According to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), the Unitek College – Fremont campus has a graduation rate of 69 percent. This graduation rate can be considered fairly high and indicates that at least 6 out of every 10 undergraduate students who enroll at Unitek College – Fremont campus eventually completes their degree.
Unitek College Admissions
The admissions process at Unitek College is relatively simple. Interested applicants must complete an interview with a representative of the school admissions team. Eligible candidates must have completed high school or a GED program, and be self-declared United States citizens with a valid social security number or Federal Tax ID number.
As part of its admission requirements, prospective students of the school will need to obtain a passing score on a program-specific entrance exam. Applicants taking these entrance exams are allowed to re-take their evaluation up to four times. If unsuccessful after four attempts, they will need to wait until the next year before making another attempt.
Unitek College Acceptance Rate
Unitek College – Fremont has an open admissions policy, according to NCES. This means that all students are welcome to apply to the university without meeting specific educational qualifications. The only requirements that must be met include a high school diploma or equivalent, fluency in English, and a passing score on the entrance exam. The school has not provided an official acceptance rate figure.
Will You Get Into Unitek College?
Yes, you will get into Unitek College because of its relatively easy admissions process and open admissions policy. You can be sure of gaining admission, provided you supply all the required documents and pass the entrance exam for your chosen program.
How to Apply to Unitek College
- Submit the required documentation. To be admitted into Unitek College, you must submit proof of completion of education up to grade level 12 and a valid means of identification.
- Complete an interview. You must also complete an interview session with an admissions team representative, where you’ll be expected to answer personal questions to determine if you are suitable for your chosen program.
- Pass an entrance exam. Each program has its specific evaluation examination. You must obtain a passing score on your entrance test to qualify for admission.
- Wait for the admission committee’s decision. After filling out the admission forms, submitting all the necessary documents, and taking the entrance exams, you will need to wait for the admissions committee to evaluate your application and inform you of their decision.
Unitek College Cost
|Expense||Unitek College Cost|
|Unitek College Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$32,352|
|Unitek College Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||$32,352|
|Unitek College Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||N/A|
|Unitek College Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||N/A|
|Unitek College Books and Supplies||$1,010|
|Unitek College On-Campus Room and Board||N/A|
|Unitek College Off-Campus Room and Board||$18,436|
Obtaining an education from Unitek College is more expensive than the national average. According to NCES, the average cost for an undergraduate degree is $25,281 per year.
However, this university is more affordable than other similar private, for-profit institutions in the United States. Students pursuing an online program will also save money they would have spent on accommodation, transportation, and other living expenses.
Cost of Living in Fremont, California
Fremont is one of the most populated cities in California. Located near San Jose in the Bay Area of California, it is home to several technology and manufacturing companies. According to PayScale, the cost of living in Fremont is 85 percent higher than the national average.
The housing cost in Fremont, which is 214 percent higher than the national average, is the primary factor responsible for this high cost of living. However, students seeking to obtain their degrees from Unitek College can avoid these added costs by opting for an online degree option.
Unitek College Financial Aid
Unitek College has a vast array of financial aid options to enable its students to afford nursing school or any of its other healthcare programs. Currently, over 1,550 beginning students are receiving financial aid at the Unitek College – Fremont campus, or about 75 percent of students.
Some financial aid benefits available to students include federal and state grants, institutional and external scholarships, and federal loans. Students interested in receiving federal aid must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form before the stated deadline.
Unitek College Scholarships
- Clinical Education Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded to students who are current employees at schools that provide clinical education to students. Enrolled students at any of the Unitek College campuses who meet this criterion are eligible to apply.
- BSN Alumni Scholarship. Students who have completed the vocational nursing program at Unitek College and are interested in obtaining the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree can apply for this scholarship.
- VN Alumni Scholarship. This award is offered to graduates of the medical assisting diploma program who wish to continue their education by pursuing a degree in vocational nursing. Eligible students must complete the FAFSA form to qualify.
- VN Prerequisite Course Scholarship for Veterans. This scholarship is available to US veterans who wish to enroll in the vocational nursing prerequisite course. Recipients of this scholarship will receive a discount on their overall tuition costs. However, they will still need to cover their books, supplies, and other essential expenses.
Unitek College Graduate Salaries and Outcomes
The average salary for Unitek College graduates is $61,000 per year, according to PayScale. The university prepares its students for jobs in the healthcare industry as nurses, medical assistants, dental assistants, or medical office administrators.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
Graduates of this school have a strong theoretical background and practical clinical experiences to help them function in these healthcare roles and take up leading positions at their organizations. Alumni also have access to career services and job boards to inform them of the latest opportunities in their chosen industry.
Unitek College Campus Life
The Unitek College – Fremont campus allows students to experience an immersive learning environment with 13 classrooms, 10 laboratories, a library, and a student break room. It also offers several services to improve the quality of learning and the overall campus experience of its students.
Students pursuing pre-licensure programs can take after-school tutoring sessions. These tutoring sessions benefit students who need help grasping the required study materials ahead of their exams. The school also provides third-party counseling to enable students to succeed within and outside of the university environment.
Unitek College Academics
Unitek College is reputable for providing nursing and healthcare programs. Individuals interested in pursuing a career as nurses can do so by following any of the pathways provided by the college. It offers a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, Associate Degree in Vocational Nursing, and an advanced placement Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
The university also offers diplomas in various in-demand healthcare areas such as medical office administration, medical assisting, dental assisting, vocational nursing, and practical nursing.
Unitek College Colleges and Departments
|School or Department Name||Available Program Examples|
|Nursing||Associate Degree in Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing|
|Allied Health||Diploma in Medical Assisting, Diploma in Dental Assisting|
Unitek College Faculty
Unitek College’s faculty possesses several years of experience conducting research and training students at various levels. According to reviews and rankings on the website Rate My Professors, highly-rated instructors include Michael White, James Brown, and Rosemarie Branciforte. The board of directors at Unitek College comprises individuals from various fields, including business administration, finance, health administration, nursing, and economics.
Popular Unitek College Majors
The most popular Unitek College majors include those in nursing and vocational nursing, as well as diplomas in medical assisting, dental assisting, and medical office administration. Below is a summary of these majors and the jobs available to graduates.
Unitek College Nursing
The nursing programs at Unitek College help train competent nurses with the skills to function in various clinical and outpatient settings. They are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Students enrolled in these undergraduate programs can obtain their degrees in three years or less.
Unitek College Nursing Jobs
- Registered nurse. Registered nurses work in hospitals and provide healthcare services to patients. They perform several responsibilities, including taking patient medical records and operating medical devices. These professionals typically earn high salaries.
- Nurse manager. Nurse managers are responsible for overseeing the activities of other nurses and medical staff. They are tasked with ensuring a high standard of care at their healthcare facility. They also work with other management personnel to provide strategies for achieving their organization’s corporate targets.
- Traveling nurse. Traveling nurses fill in for hospitals and clinics that are short-staffed. They perform the same duties as regular nurses do, but they are able to travel across the country and the world to work for weeks or months at a time where they are needed.
Unitek College Vocational Nursing
The vocational nursing program at Unitek College is a post-licensure program that lasts 12 months. It covers general education and critical science topics to prepare nurses for clinical practice. Graduates from this program can pursue a highly successful career as a licensed vocational nurse (LVN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN).
Unitek College Vocational Nursing Jobs
- Licensed Practical Nurse. Licensed practical nurses work as part of a team led by doctors and registered nurses. They perform essential duties, including checking patients’ vital signs and recording their medical history.
Unitek College Medical Assisting
The medical assisting diploma program at Unitek College is a nine-month program for people who want to pursue careers as medical assistants. Graduates from this program will be well-equipped with the clinical and administrative skills to work in any healthcare setting by completing 128 credits and participating in a 160-hour externship.
Unitek College Medical Assisting Jobs
- Medical assistant. Medical assistants are employed in healthcare centers to assist with routine medical and administrative tasks, such as preparing blood samples, managing schedules, and recording patient medical information.
Unitek College Dental Assisting
This 10-month dental assisting diploma program provides an opportunity for interested students to acquire the requisite skills to work as dental assistants. Students will learn about sterilization techniques, dental X-rays and instruments, and impressions.
Unitek College Dental Assisting Jobs
- Dental assistant. Dental assistants work closely with dentists and help them perform tasks such as taking dental X-rays and sterilizing dental equipment. In some cases, dental assistants also prepare patients’ medical bills and help them book dentist appointments.
Unitek College Medical Office Administration
This nine-month diploma covers all the necessary concepts to become a high-performing medical office administrator. Students enrolled in this program will develop soft skills and a strong understanding of basic medical terminologies to enable them to excel in their administrative duties.
Unitek College Medical Office Administration Jobs
- Medical office administrator. Medical office administrators are employed to monitor the day-to-day operations of their healthcare facility and ensure that it runs smoothly. They help manage resources and occasionally liaise with patients and insurance companies.
- Medical office manager. These professionals likely started their careers are administrators but have excelled and moved up the ranks to secure a management position. They are responsible for overseeing the daily functioning of a medical office, managing employees, and handling payroll and/or budgets.
Is Unitek College Worth It?
Yes, Unitek College is worth it for individuals seeking a well-structured nursing or healthcare program in the United States. However, the high tuition costs may cause you to reconsider attending. The university may be a good choice for individuals who want to complete a short diploma program to begin their careers as dental assistants, medical assistants, or medical office administrators.
Unitek College Review FAQ
It takes one year or less to earn a nursing associate degree at Unitek College. The school’s Associate of Science in Vocational Nursing program allows numerous people with prior educational experience to transfer eligible credits and graduate without spending extra time.
Yes, Unitek College offers an accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program, which can be completed in two years. However, only applicants with an Associate Degree in Nursing or who have taken the stipulated general education courses are eligible to enroll in this program.
Yes, you can transfer the credits you obtain from Unitek College to another university. However, each university has its own criteria for accepting credit transfers. Although Unitek College is highly regarded, not all schools will allow you to transfer your credits. You must check with your chosen program’s admissions department to determine your credit transfer status.
The difference between a bachelor’s degree and a diploma program at Unitek College is that diplomas can be completed in less than two years, while a bachelor’s degree typically takes four years.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.