Being a minimalist means that you need to reduce the number of possessions you have to only the necessities. This will make your life simpler and minimize distractions. When creating the best minimalist desk setup for working from home, there are a few factors to consider. If you want to construct a minimalist desk workspace, then this article will help you.
Below we discuss the criteria for making an effective minimalist desk setup and the top tips to help you carry out your plan. This guide also includes an in-depth list of technical and non-technical items you should invest in to design a productive workspace.
Find Your Bootcamp Match
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Access exclusive scholarships and prep courses
What Makes a Minimalist Desk Setup Effective?
Since minimalism is the practice of limiting the number of possessions someone has, a minimalist desk setup can improve productivity, get you more organized, and reduce distractions. According to Statista, 47 percent of remote employees find remote work challenging due to at-home distractions.
Limit the Number of Desk Accents
While desk accessories can make your work more manageable, putting too many desk accents can cause clutter and disorganization. Desk accents include a desk mat, lamp, or clock. To create an effective minimalist office desk, choose your accents carefully and put as little as possible on your desk surface. For example, instead of using a beautiful desk lamp, you can use light panels on the wall.
Take Time to Declutter
Creating an effective minimalist office desk doesn’t happen in one day. It is an ongoing process because you need to maintain the space continuously. Take five minutes every day after you finish your work to reorganize and declutter your desk. Soon this will become a daily ritual, become easier, and take less time to declutter your minimalist workspace.
Create a Desk Setup That Suits Your Style
It is essential to enjoy spending time at your minimalist home desk setup since you will spend a lot of your time working there. Design the space so that it suits your style. For example, choose a minimalist clock in your favorite color or include a few small-sized office plants. Studies show that having indoor plants can increase productivity by 12 percent. Make sure your entire setup has an aesthetic appeal that speaks to you.
How to Create a Minimalist Desk Setup: 5 Top Tips
Keep It Simple
When designing your minimalist desk setup, you should keep as little on your desk as possible. You should only have essential equipment and accessories on your desk surface, such as a monitor or laptop, mouse, keyboard, headphones, and a microphone. The best minimalist setups are simple, organized, and not overcrowded. Use additional storage to keep other modern home office items out of sight and clear extra desk clutter regularly.
Choose the Right Desk
A desk is a basic necessity for making minimal desk setups, so you should choose your desk carefully and the purpose it serves. You should be able to sit at the desk and work without straining your shoulders, back, and neck. When your computer is on your desk, it should be at eye level, and you should be able to sit up straight without much effort. If you find it difficult to find the perfect desk, you can always build your own desk from scratch.
Manage Cables Effectively
Most computer equipment like monitors, keyboards, and your computer mouse have cables. The amount of wires in your office space adds up quickly and can clutter your desk. Manage the number of cables by choosing as much wireless equipment as possible or using cable covers to hide them away. You can use velcro strips, cable ties, or a cable management tray.
Use Additional Storage
A fantastic way of keeping your minimalist office desk setup simple and organized is by purchasing additional storage space. Invest in a drawer unit, compact filing cabinet, or shelves for a minimalist desk design. Drawer units with an outlet for your chargers are also a fantastic option because you can keep your portable devices packed away and out of sight.
Design Your Minimalist Desk Workspace With Ergonomics
Although ergonomics is not explicitly related to a minimalist desk design, it is essential if you work at a desk all day. Ergonomics prevents musculoskeletal disorders and soft tissue injuries that may occur because of repetitive movements. Your minimalist desk setup ideas should include an ergonomic chair, keyboard, and mouse to improve comfortability and posture.
5 Things You Should Invest in When Designing Your Minimalist Workspace
A minimalist desk setup requires certain staple items to make it functional and productive. As you design your minimalist office desk setup, there are five technical and non-technical items you should invest in. Below are listicles of the most crucial minimalist workspace items you should buy for your minimal setup.
Technical Items to Consider
- Wireless ergonomic mouse. An ergonomic wireless mouse will help you work comfortably and prevent wrist pain. Purchasing a wireless mouse is fantastic because it will stop cables from piling up in your office setup.
- Wireless ergonomic keyboard. Look for a wireless ergonomic and mechanical keyboard to decrease your chances of getting wrist pain from typing all day. For a minimalist design, you should purchase a wireless mechanical keyboard. The lack of wires on your keyboard will keep your space simple.
- Wireless microphone or headphones. Many work-from-home careers require employees to attend meetings or meet with clients on a video communications application. A wireless microphone or headphones will improve your sound quality while keeping your desk space as minimalistic as possible.
- Wireless webcam. A wireless webcam is essential if you work remotely because you may need to attend work meetings. A webcam ensures your video quality is excellent and keeps the number of cables in your space to a minimum.
- High-quality computer or monitor. Choose your laptop or monitor carefully according to the needs of your job. Consider whether you need a laptop, a monitor, or both. If you have minimal space, a laptop will work perfectly. Consider the specs of the computer, like if you need a solid-state drive (SSD) or a hard disk drive (HDD).
Non-Technical Items to Consider
- A keyboard tray. You should purchase a keyboard tray if you have an external keyboard for your minimalist computer desk setup. It attaches to your table and acts like a drawer. You can store it under your table and out of sight when you are not using the keyboard.
- Ergonomic office chair. An ergonomic chair is vital if you are working from home and sitting at your computer all day. An ergonomic office chair improves your posture and ensures comfortability.
- A minimalistic but beautiful desk lamp. A desk lamp or additional lighting is essential for a desk setup. A light will decrease eye strain when working on a computer at night or in a room with less natural light. If your desk has limited space or you want a plain table, you should invest in light panels or puzzle wall lights.
- A minimalistic desk clock. A clock is a fantastic desk accent. To keep your desk setup minimalistic, you should look for a clock with a solid color or neutral color. A wall clock also works if you have limited space on your minimalist computer desk setup.
- A monitor arm. A monitor arm is perfect if you decide to use a monitor on your desk. It will keep the monitor off your desk surface, make your screen adjustable, and offer a minimalist monitor setup.
Creating the Best Minimalist Workspace
Creating the best minimalist desk workspace is crucial if you work better in an organized environment. To help you create the best minimalist home office for you, you should make a list of all the essential equipment you need and refer back to it. When designing your minimalist workspace, keep the crucial criteria listed above in mind so that your workspace is as effective as possible.
Having a cluttered desk may hinder your productivity or affect your work negatively, especially if you are in a small space like a studio apartment. However, if you use all the tips and tricks included in this guide, you will create an excellent minimalist desk setup with a modern design. Moreover, placing your minimalist desk in a place where you have natural sunlight during the day can also help your productivity and mental health.
Best Desk Setup for Minimalists FAQ
Minimalist desk setups are usually monochromatic, which means everything on the desk is one color. If you choose to use more colors, you should use neutral colors such as charcoal or gray. However, this depends on personal preference and the elegant desk you want to create, so use colors you like. Usually, an all-white desk or an all-matte black design is best.
You can use any desk for a minimalist desk setup, as long as you keep the surface organized and simple. You can choose between many simple designs for desks such as a standing desk, L-shaped desk, curved desk, or writing desk.
Yes, you can certainly turn your existing workspace into a minimalistic one. Reduce the amount of equipment on your desk surface, invest in additional storage to store things you don’t use daily, and manage all your cables with velcro strips, cable ties, or cable organizers.
Yes, you can make your computer minimalistic by removing desktop icons and shortcuts, unpin the tiles from your start menu, and hide the taskbar and the recycle bin. These steps will be an excellent choice if you want to declutter your desktop and create less distraction while working on your computer.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.