A career in mathematics opens up lucrative opportunities across technology and research sectors, and the best mathematics schools will help you land those jobs. This guide will cover the best schools for mathematics, their overall rankings, and their programs.
This article will also categorize various jobs that each type of mathematics degree can qualify you for. We hope our list of the best mathematics colleges will help you choose the right associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD program and advance your career goals.
Best Mathematics College and University Rankings: Top 10 Mathematics Schools at a Glance
|School||State||Formats Available||US News Ranking|
|Harvard University||MA||In-person and hybrid||2|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||MA||In-person||2|
|University of California-Los Angeles||CA||In-person||20|
|University of Pennsylvania||PA||In-person||8|
|University of Utah||UT||In-person||99|
|University of Washington||WA||In-person||59|
|University of Wisconsin-Madison||WI||In-person||42|
Mathematics School Rankings: Best Mathematics Colleges and Universities
There are numerous options when it comes to your choice of mathematics schools. We will cover undergraduate and graduate degrees in statistics, computer science, and other math-based programs. Read on to find out what core courses, practical experience, and career opportunities these degrees in mathematics provide.
Best Bachelor’s Degree Programs
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot
The Best Schools for Mathematics: Types of College Degrees and University Programs Offered
There are countless types of degrees and university programs in mathematics that will help you establish a fruitful career across the information technology, business, research, or mathematics industries. Below are the various certifications and degrees you can get to further advance your mathematics career goals.
Comparing Popular Degree Options
Best Mathematics Schools: Other Mathematics University Rankings
Below is a list of the best mathematics schools that takes into consideration top mathematics university rankings and is categorized by various degree programs and options.
Best Online Mathematics Schools
- Mayville State University. According to the US News & World Report, Mayville State University ranks between 275 to 361 among the best online bachelor’s programs. Its mathematics specialized online bachelor’s program costs $352.82 per credit and offers an industry-relevant and hands-on program.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Southern New Hampshire University is counted among the top online schools. It has a robust online program, and its online math program covers logical reasoning, applied mathematics, actuarial science, and statistics.
- University of Illinois at Springfield. The University of Illinois at Springfield is an accredited public university that offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs. Its mathematics programs cover quantitative research, mathematical analytics, and statistics.
Best Community Colleges for Mathematics
- Alpena Community College. Alpena Community College offers associate degrees and certificates covering a wide range of fields. Its mathematics curriculum includes algorithms, applied mathematics, statistics, discrete mathematics, and calculus.
- Glendale Community College. Glendale Community College is best known for its finance, business, and hospitality management certificates. Its mathematics associate degree covers analytic geometry, linear algebra, differential equations, and integrals.
- Sinclair Community College. Sinclair Community College offers more than 220 associate degrees and certificates in information technology, data science, business, and education fields. Its mathematics majors include general mathematics and pre actuarial science.
Best Undergraduate Schools for Mathematics
- Arizona State University. Arizona State University is a top-ranking public school best known for its research and innovation programs. It offers both online and in-person degrees. Its math programs cover several fields including statistics, applied mathematics, data science, economics, and numerical analysis.
- Brown University. Brown University is a high-ranking private school that is best known for its journalism, medicine, math, and computer science programs. It offers both graduate and undergraduate mathematics programs that are highly reputable.
- Yale University. Yale University is an Ivy League school with a strong global reputation. It is a top university for music, literature, law, psychology, and computer science programs. Graduating from Yale University’s math undergraduate program will provide you with a competitive advantage.
Best Graduate Schools for Mathematics
- Columbia University. According to the US News & World Report, Columbia University ranks number two among national universities. The graduate school offers a research and thesis-based mathematics program. It covers quantitative analysis, statistics, computer science, and applied mathematics topics.
- Harvard University. Harvard University is a top ivy league university with globally-recognized economics, law, mathematics, and engineering programs. You can get a master’s or a PhD in mathematics, statistics, and applied mathematics.
- University of Chicago. University of Chicago is a public school that offers master’s and PhD programs across a wide range of subject areas. You can specialize in financial mathematics, statistics, or computational mathematics.
Best Mathematics Schools With Dual Degree Programs
- New York University | Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science. New York University’s double major in computer science and mathematics is apt for students looking to enter quantitative analytics, software engineering, or scientific research positions.
- University of North Georgia | Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Engineering. University of North Georgia’s mathematics and engineering dual degree covers physics, calculus, differential equations, statistics, and chemistry.
- University of Maryland | Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts in Mathematics. University of Maryland’s bachelor’s and master’s combined programs will focus on applied mathematics and general mathematics projects. You will learn scientific computation, statistics, and discrete mathematics.
Best Schools With Accelerated Mathematics Programs
- University of Colorado-Colorado Springs | Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Mathematics. University of Colorado’s accelerated program will allow you to complete a bachelor’s and master’s program in five years. It covers discrete mathematics, differential equations, algebra, and modern analysis.
- University of Dayton | Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Master in Financial Mathematics. The University of Dayton is an accredited institution best known for its research programs. This bachelor’s and master’s program will help you land lucrative financial analytics and management roles.
- Western Washington University | Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Mathematics. Western Washington University’s bachelor’s and master’s program prepares you for a research and education career in mathematics in five years.
Easy Colleges to Get Into
Is Graduate School for Mathematics Worth It?
Yes, graduate school for mathematics is worth it. A master’s or a doctoral degree in the field of mathematics can qualify you for tons of lucrative, high-paying jobs. You can enter the information technology, teaching, business, data science, or finance sectors.
It will also help you specialize in advanced mathematics subjects, including statistical analytics, computation theory, econometrics, or data science.
What Jobs Can You Do With a Mathematics Degree?
The jobs you can secure with a mathematics degree include mathematician, data scientist, financial analyst, statistician, operation research analyst, and mathematics professor. Our list of the best mathematics schools presents top-ranking institutions that will enhance your resume and overall candidacy.
How Much Can I Earn With a Degree in Mathematics?
You can earn anywhere from $45,000 to $111,402 annually with a degree in mathematics. Your salary depends on your educational qualifications, designation, and place of employment. According to PayScale, the average yearly salary for a mathematics doctorate degree holder is $110,000. PhD jobs include science, management, and research positions.
A master’s degree in the field will help you land senior and management roles. According to PayScale, the average salary for an MS in Mathematics is $85,000 per year and the average wage for a BS in Mathematics is $80,000 annually. A bachelor’s degree will qualify you for analysts, mathematicians, and data scientists jobs.
Highest-Paying Mathematics Careers
|Profession||Minimum Education||Average Salary|
|Quantitative Researcher||Bachelor’s degree||$111,402|
|Data Scientist||Bachelor’s degree||$108,660|
|Operations Research Analyst||Bachelor’s degree||$82,360|
|Financial Analyst||Bachelor’s degree||$81,410|
|Purchasing Agent||Associate degree||$75,410|
|Math Tutor||Associate degree||$45,000|
Best Jobs With a Mathematics Degree
The best jobs for someone with a mathematics degree are quantitative researcher, financial analyst, mathematician, and data scientist. Read on to learn about some of the best jobs you can get with undergraduate and graduate mathematics degrees.
How Can I Pay for Mathematics School?
You can pay for mathematics school by applying for scholarships, student loans, grants, or funds. The payment plans for your mathematics education will vary according to your degree level.
- Scholarships. You can apply for mathematics or general scholarships at your university. This generally requires you to submit essays, score high grades, and submit financial aid requests.
- Loan financing. A student loan or a personal loan is also a great payment option for students. This option includes high-interest payments, credit score checks, and a payment schedule.
- Graduate assistantship. If you are a master’s or PhD student, you can apply for a graduate assistantship or a teaching assistantship to lessen your tuition rates.
- Work-study programs. Universities also offer work-study programs, where you work part-time at school departments to pay for your college housing, tuition, and food.
How to Pay for Your Chosen School Education Path
Choosing the Best Mathematics School for You
To choose the best mathematics school for you, you should consider its ranking, curriculum, tuition rates, and graduation rates. Below are the elements to consider before enrolling in a mathematics program.
Tuition rates are extremely important to consider while choosing a mathematics school. You should opt for schools that match your payment plan and financial preferences.
Attending a school with a high graduation rate will help solidify your graduation chances. This will ultimately ensure your educational success and future career success.
The school ranking is another important element to consider because enrolling in a top-ranked university will increase your job placement rates. It will also increase your graduate degree acceptance rate.
How to Get Into the Right School for Your Profession
Does It Matter What College I Go to for Mathematics?
Yes, it matters what college you go to for mathematics. High-ranking schools such as Harvard University, Princeton University, and Stanford University will make your job placement easier. Going to a globally-recognized school will increase your overall candidacy chances and showcase your academic competency.
Best Online Bachelor’s Degrees
Mathematics University Ranking Methodology: How We Ranked the Best Schools for Mathematics
We ranked the best mathematics schools by consulting the university rankings conducted by US News & World Report and Times Higher Education. To further refine our mathematics university ranking methodology, we gave special consideration to things like reputation, graduation rate, student-to-faculty ratio, and breadth and depth of mathematics degree program offerings.
Additional Reading About Mathematics
[query_class_embed] https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-mathematics-bachelors-degrees/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/online-math-degrees/ https://careerkarma.com/blog/best-online-mathematics-bachelors-degrees/
Best Mathematics Schools FAQ
The best mathematics universities are Harvard University, Princeton University, Boston University, Stanford University, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
You can get several types of jobs with a mathematics degree. These include becoming a data scientist, statistician, mathematician, logistician, mathematics professor, or financial analyst.
You can get a wide range of degrees in mathematics, including associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or a PhD.
The subjects covered in mathematics degrees include statistics, applied mathematics, data science, programming languages, calculus, trigonometry, geometry, and differential equations.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.