One major challenge students face when it comes to education is the high cost of tuition. This is why bootcamp programs have become more popular. Their affordable nature attracts students who want to avoid high student debt in exchange for quality education. General Assembly is one of the popular bootcamps that proves that learning does not have to be too expensive.
General Assembly, or GA, has 30 campuses, 19,000 hiring partners, and over 40,000 bootcamp graduates. Due to its high standards of education, more and more people who want to break into tech are joining its programs. If you’re interested in enrolling in this coding bootcamp, we’ve detailed below the best General Assembly scholarships, their requirements, and how you can apply.
How Much Does General Assembly Cost?
General Assembly costs range between $3,934 and $15,950. You may choose from a wide range of courses with different tuition fees. General Assembly also has several part-time programs, including data analytics, digital marketing, front end development, product management, Python programming, visual design, and user experience design.
The most expensive program is flex data science at $15,950, while its full-time counterpart costs $11,240. A flex digital marketing program is priced at $14,950, while its full-time version costs $9,620. On the other hand, the program fee for flex user design experience is $14,950. You may also choose to attend the full-time software engineer or user design program for $10,116.
List of General Assembly Scholarships
|Adobe Digital Academy Scholarship||Full Tuition||Software Engineering, User Experience Design, Data Science, Digital Marketing|
|LaGuardia’s TechHire OpenCode||Full Tuition||Software Engineering|
|Break the Glass Tuition Discount||$1,500||Software Engineering, Data Science|
The best way to cover your bootcamp tuition fees is by getting scholarships for coding bootcamps. Through a scholarship program, you can reduce your education costs and avoid high student debts as well. Below is a list of General Assembly scholarships, the bootcamp programs, and requirements for application.
General Assembly Adobe Digital Academy Scholarship
If you’re interested in reskilling or upskilling, you may apply for the Adobe Digital Academy program. It’s an excellent program for those looking for a career change or a switch to tech. If you’ve been successful in the industry and you possess problem-solving or strong communication skills, you can land this scholarship.
Adobe Digital Academy Scholarship Requirements
You must attend General Assembly’s software engineering, user experience design, or data science programs. You can also qualify if you pursue GA’s part-time digital marketing bootcamp. Upon completion, you will land an internship opportunity at Adobe, which can easily lead to permanent employment at the company.
General Assembly TechHire – OpenCode Scholarship
In partnership with General Assembly, LaGuardia offers financial support through TechHire – OpenCode to students pursuing the software engineering immersive courses. The scholarship program is fully funded by a grant provided by the US government. The main aim of the scholarship is to increase diversity in the tech industry and contribute growth to existing tech talent.
TechHire OpenCode Scholarship Requirements
To qualify for the scholarship fund, you must be 17 to 29 years old. You must also come from an underrepresented community. You have to be highly interested in attending General Assembly’s software engineering immersive courses.
General Assembly Break the Glass Tuition Discount
If you want to break into tech without breaking the bank, you can easily apply for the Break the Glass Scholarship. This program gives a $1,500 tuition discount to students pursuing data science or software engineering programs at General Assembly. The program aims to increase the representation of women in tech at different levels of an organization.
Break the Glass Requirements
To qualify for this program, you must be 18 years or older. You must also be a woman or a transgender person interested in becoming a data scientist or software engineer. If you identify yourself as a queer, gender non-conforming, or nonbinary person, you can also qualify for the award. Your income must also be less than $40,000 annually.
Who Is Eligible for General Assembly Scholarships?
Eligible General Assembly scholarship applicants are usually from underrepresented communities. General Assembly is determined to make an impact on diversity, education access, and social, economic welfare of its students.
As such, its scholarship awards are mainly for minorities such as women, transgender, queer, or non-binary tech students. You may also qualify for a scholarship if you are an adult receiving low income annually. A tuition scholarship can help you attend a high-quality program to build your soft skills and access exclusive events.
How to Apply for General Assembly Scholarships
The application process for General Assembly scholarships is rather straightforward. For instance, if you want to apply for the Break the Glass Tuition Discount, you can simply register your details on its scholarship page. You will be required to fill in your name, phone number, campus location, and the course you are pursuing.
You’ll follow a similar process to apply for the Adobe Digital Academy scholarship program. After you sign up, you will receive communication from the providers in less than 72 hours. The General Assembly team will contact you via email or phone call to get to know more about your career goals and skills. You must complete the full phone interview and technical assessments.
Other Ways to Pay for General Assembly
If you don’t qualify for any of the mentioned scholarship awards, you can still enjoy affordable tuition payments. General Assembly provides multiple tuition financing options to eligible students pursuing careers in tech. Find out how to pay for your coding bootcamp below.
- Income Share Agreement (ISA). This is an excellent way to cover your tuition fees without being heavily burdened. General Assembly allows students to attend its programs without any upfront costs. You can repay your tuition fee once you graduate and land a job that pays at least $40,000 each year.
- Installment Plan. You may opt for monthly installments with zero interest to pay for your course. General Assembly partners up with different loan providers who can help you cover your fees. General Assembly also offers a structured installment payment plan so you can pay in two, three, or four installments.
- Loans. General Assembly partners up with several loan providers to help students cover their tuition fees. Some of the top loan providers are Climb Credit, Meritize, Study Loans, and Future Finance.
- GI Bill Benefits. If you’re a veteran, you can also use your GI Bill benefits to cover General Assembly’s tuition fees. This option is available for all US students pursuing immersive courses.
- Employer Sponsorship. The bootcamp is open to employee reimbursements for its students. If your employer has a dedicated budget for skill-building, you can pursue full-time, part-time, or one-week courses at General Assembly.
- Upfront Payment. Paying your tuition upfront will save you additional costs. It will also help you focus entirely on your education. If you pay for a full-time program upfront, General Assembly will give you a $450 tuition discount. For part-time students, the bootcamp provides a $250 discount.
- Study Pay Deferred Payment Plan. If you’re in Australia, you may enjoy deferred tuition payments. The bootcamp partners up with Study Loans to help students pursue a course without any upfront costs. It’s only available for students enrolled in immersive courses.
- Skills Checkpoint Contribution Matching. If you’re a worker in Australia aged 45 to 70 years old and want a career change, you can still break into tech. You can make switching careers possible by receiving $2,200 to cover your tuition fees through Skills Checkpoint Contribution Matching.
Is General Assembly Worth It?
Yes, General Assembly is worth it. To ensure student success, General Assembly has a structured approach to preparing them for the tech industry. Students enjoy career coaching to ensure they are on track with their professional and educational goals during and after graduation. As well, most grads earn a high median income compared to their previous salary.
General Assembly also plays a key role during the job search process. A workshop is curated to help you in resume writing and networking opportunities. On top of this, you will receive thorough interview training and personal branding services. This is more support than typical college education at a postsecondary institution. This makes it a great choice for your new career.
General Assembly Scholarships FAQ
No, General Assembly does not offer job guarantees. However, it features a high job placement of 99 percent, according to its official website. You can expect a 91 percent job placement rate within 180 days of graduation. This is a relatively high rate compared to most coding bootcamps.
No, General Assembly scholarships are not available for all students. The financial programs are curated to address diversity and professionals experiencing financial hardship looking for a tech career. You can check the eligibility requirements of the scholarships before starting the application process.
No, you do not need to attend full-time programs to qualify for the scholarships. For example, the Adobe Digital Academy provides a scholarship fund for students attending part-time digital marketing courses.
No, the General Assembly scholarship application process is not hard. You only need to fill out a simple form to jumpstart the process. Some of the scholarships include phone interviews and technical assessments.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.