Whether you want to save up for the holiday season or boost your income to repay a loan, you might be looking into potential easy side gigs. A flexible option is to become a delivery driver for Amazon customers who order products online. Amazon Flex allows you to earn more in your spare time by delivering packages to customers in your location.
If you have a vehicle of your own and know you can commit to a number of hours in your local area, becoming an Amazon Flex driver might be a great option for you. In this guide, we’ve broken down the essential details about this job, how much you can make on Amazon Flex, and the steps to take to get chosen by Amazon.
What Is Amazon Flex?
Amazon Flex is a platform that allows individuals to use their own vehicles to deliver packages to customers who ordered products online. According to Statista, Amazon gets more web traffic than any other ecommerce platform. Its own website states that Amazon Flex currently operates in over 50 cities in the US and is actively recruiting drivers in different cities on a rolling basis.
If you choose to deliver packages for Amazon, your tasks include picking up packages from their delivery station and delivering them straight to the customers’ homes. Since you’ll be delivering all kinds of packages, it’s best to have a larger vehicle. You should also pay attention to the delivery routes and delivery location so you finish within a good time frame.
Amazon Flex offers different delivery opportunities. Aside from delivering packages from the Amazon delivery station, you can also pick up groceries from Amazon Fresh or Prime Now to deliver directly to customers. These different options have varying delivery time-frames, ranging from two hours to six hours. You can choose different delivery blocks based on your availability.
How Does Amazon Flex Work?
Amazon Flex works by matching local drivers to deliveries in their area. Drivers use their own vehicles and the Amazon Flex app on their phones to complete deliveries. Once you’ve downloaded and set up the app, you can reserve delivery blocks available in your location that work with your schedule. The app will display how much you will make from each delivery.
At the start of your delivery block, you will go to the pickup location, such as the Amazon warehouse or local store, and deliver the package to the customers’ house. All the necessary information to complete the delivery will be displayed in the app. In the app, you will be able to track your earnings, and Amazon will direct deposit to your bank account twice a week.
How Much Can You Actually Make on Amazon Flex?
According to Amazon, most Amazon Flex drivers earn $18 to $25 per hour. Your exact rate is determined by various factors like location, tips, hours, and efficiency. Since this is an hourly gig, your potential earnings will depend on how many hours you work. Customers can also choose to tip you directly if you do a good job.
81% of participants stated they felt more confident about their tech job prospects after attending a bootcamp. Get matched to a bootcamp today.
The average bootcamp grad spent less than six months in career transition, from starting a bootcamp to finding their first job.
Delivery jobs, in general, don’t pay as well as a typical nine-to-five. However, this is what makes it a good side hustle. If you have extra time for a delivery program, you should take it. A grocery delivery service or a package delivery service like Amazon Flex can help you earn extra money. You might only need to complete a four-hour shift or a day’s worth of work.
The Pros and Cons of Working on Amazon Flex
As workplace practices in the US are shifting away from the traditional nine-to-five, the rise of the gig economy brings both challenges and opportunities for workers. To help you decide if working as an independent contractor would suit your lifestyle, consider the following pros and cons of becoming an Amazon Flex delivery driver.
Pros of Working on Amazon Flex
- You own your time. One of the best things about working as an Amazon Flex delivery driver is deciding when to work. Since you’re an independent contractor, you get to decide your schedule. So, when you need a break or want to make other plans, you’re not obligated to make deliveries.
- You get a steady source of income. Amazon is a well-established company, and it will always need people to have the ordered packages delivered. You will have enough work for a steady source of income.
- You can choose what block to service. Through the app, you can choose which area to deliver packages to. A typical delivery block usually requires three to four hours to complete. You’ll deliver everything from groceries to household items.
- You get weekly payouts. The good thing about Amazon Flex is that the pay comes fast, so there’s immediate gratification. This is a good thing if you’re covering a lot of expenses daily for driving gigs.
- You’ll earn as much as you want. Since you’re paid per hour, you get to earn as much as you would like. If you want to make more in a certain week, you can double your efforts and take on more delivery blocks. If you set a target income for the month, you can also put in more hours. It’s up to you to decide how much you want to earn weekly.
Cons of Working on Amazon Flex
- The payment is per block. Yes, the $18 to $25 per hour rate is paid per block and not per delivery. This means that regardless of the number of deliveries per shift, your hourly rate is the same. On top of that, Amazon only calculates the actual hours based on deliveries. Your journey to the pickup center is not included in the hour count.
- It can be hard to get bookings during peak hours. Amazon Flex offers free block bookings, which explains why many people also use the app. During busy times, it can be hard to get enough deliveries to meet your financial goals.
- The company does not cover expenses. Again, because you’re not an employee of the company, you have to provide the tools of your trade, such as your four-door vehicle or midsize sedan. You also have to pay for gas and vehicle maintenance expenses as well as your own phone plan to access the Internet on the go.
- There are no employment benefits. There’s no employee-employer relationship between you and Amazon, so it does not provide you with employment benefits other than your hourly fee. You will have to pay for your own auto insurance and health insurance too.
- You might drive miles for one delivery block. As mentioned above, it might be hard to get bookings during peak hours. If you’re running after a daily income quota, you might be forced to accept bookings that require you to drive miles away from your point of origin.
How to Become an Amazon Flex Delivery Rider
Working as an Amazon Flex delivery driver allows you to work a flexible schedule to boost your income. If you’re ready to work for Amazon Flex and make money from it, follow the steps below to get started. You can also check out an Amazon Flex review page to learn more about what being a driver is really like.
1. Meet the Requirements
To be an Amazon Flex worker, you must be at least 21 years old. You must also have a valid driver’s license and own your own large or mid-size vehicle for deliveries. As you will use the Amazon Flex application on your smartphone to complete deliveries, check that your iPhone or Android is compatible and meets the basic requirements.
2. Download the Amazon Flex App
With your phone, download the app. The next step is for you to sign up using your existing Amazon account. If you still don’t have an account with Amazon, you’ll have to create a new one. Get the hang of the app and watch videos to acquaint you with the job before starting. Arm yourself with the best practices so you’ll know how to approach the job once you’re in the field.
3. Start Reserving Blocks
A block refers to a delivery shift that you can choose when making deliveries for Amazon Flex. A single block usually takes two to six hours to cover. During the shift, you will be assigned deliveries that must be completed during the delivery block. Your accumulated income is displayed on the Amazon Flex app dashboard, and you can also claim the payment every week.
How to Make More Money on Amazon Flex
It’s up to you to make the most out of your Amazon Flex gig. If you want to earn more, you will have to double or triple your hustle. If you’re going to take advantage of this income-generating opportunity, check out these simple tips for Amazon Flex drivers.
- Career Karma matches you with top tech bootcamps
- Get exclusive scholarships and prep courses
Amazon offers proprietary insurance to their Amazon Flex drivers. However, this insurance will only cover your expenses on accidents that happen during delivery hours. The condition for this to be valid is you need to declare Amazon as your additional job. If you’re insured, you don’t have to pay for repairs and maintenance out of pocket.
Use a Bigger Car or Van
As you already know, you’re paid by the block. So, the more blocks you cover, the higher your potential income. To ensure you complete all the assigned deliveries on time within each delivery block, it’s best to use a bigger vehicle like a four-door van.
Always Update Your Amazon Flex App
You will be receiving booking offers through the app. Unfortunately, when your app is not updated, you will get logged out automatically, making it impossible to get booking offers. Amazon Flex updates are usually implemented every Sunday or Monday, so keep an eye for them.
Go Above and Beyond
Keep customers satisfied with your service because frequent complaints could lead to the deactivation of your account. Take your job seriously and deliver quality service all the time. If customers are happy with you, that will be reflected in your earnings.
Keep Protocol in Mind
Amazon expects its drivers to deliver all packages assigned to them, and you might have to go back to a customer more than once. If you fail to follow this protocol and only try delivering once, your undelivered package will bear a black mark. If this keeps happening, Amazon can put your account under a “soft block” so you get fewer bookings.
Is Working on Amazon Flex Worth It?
Yes, working on Amazon Flex is worth it, but only if you put in the work. For a side gig or part-time job, you can earn decent extra income working as an Amazon Flex driver. If you only do well and fulfill your role diligently, this job can help you achieve your financial goals. It’s easy to get started as long as you have a car and some free time.
Making Money on Amazon Flex FAQ
How can I maximize the earning I could get from Amazon Flex?
The best way to maximize your Amazon Flex earning potential is to drive a fuel-efficient vehicle. Unlike other delivery services, Amazon does not compensate drivers for fuel costs, so you’ll have to be strategic about your gas consumption.
How much can I make as an Amazon Flex driver in a week?
According to ZipRecruiter, Amazon drivers earn an average salary of $39,002. This isn’t as high as many other jobs, which makes it the perfect side-hustle. At around $19 per hour, according to ZipRecruiter, you can earn a good amount just by working on the weekends or using your days off from another job.
Are Amazon Flex drivers allowed to receive tips from their customers?
Yes, they are. As a general rule, Amazon only allows drivers to receive a tip equal to 10 to 15 percent of the total order. If someone wants to give tips that will go to the driver directly, they can do so by tipping using the app. Amazon doesn’t allow drivers to receive cash upon delivery.
Is there a dress code to follow when working as an Amazon Flex driver?
No, Amazon doesn’t impose a dress code for their delivery drivers. However, to make your job seamless, use clothing and accessories that would aid in quick deliveries. While you’re free to choose what to wear, it’s also better if you wear something comfortable and professional. Through this, your customers will have a good impression of you.
About us: Career Karma is a platform designed to help job seekers find, research, and connect with job training programs to advance their careers. Learn about the CK publication.
"Career Karma entered my life when I needed it most and quickly helped me match with a bootcamp. Two months after graduating, I found my dream job that aligned with my values and goals in life!"
Venus, Software Engineer at Rockbot